Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 25, 2020 06:59

Somehow missed checking out this live interactive map that John Hopkins put out that has become widely used.

Excellent site.
Unbelievable that the US is up to 890,524 cases with 51,017 deaths as of now.
[gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2020 08:12

Yeah, unbelievable - I have that link saved on my laptop toolbar after spikenyc posted it here towards the beginning of all this.
And after reading through the beginning of this thread trying to find his post (page six, March 3rd), unbelievable how much has changed since then.
There were only seven deaths in the US at that point, some people were downplaying/dismissing the seriousness and severity, and several people were still gung ho to see the Stones!
Didn't read further beyond that, but maybe some day it will be interesting to see all the ups and downs of this crisis which I'm sure will continue to be front page/headline news for quite some time to come.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 25, 2020 09:18

There are links on the first post/page of this thread to the most important corona virus reporting links, like Johns Hopkins, Worldometers, IHME projections and WHO updates.

Bjornulf

Date: April 25, 2020 09:32

Javadave
How come if all of the medical experts are saying that we need to test everyone and have enough people tracing the contacts of those who test positive, people aren’t being enlisted into those tasks and paid well for it instead of just paying people to stay on the dole and sit at home doing nothing?

I’m tired of our leaders just reacting and not forging solutions, real ones, not political ones.

Very true. Test - Trace - Quarantine. That is the only way you may open up and still be in control. According to experts all across the world. The test capacity is going up now in many countries. Tracing is quite resource demanding. You need a LOT of people, to interview people testing positive, who they met, where they went and so on.

We did that in Norway for some weeks, until the big wave hit us. That early stage testing and tracing probably saved hundreds if not thousand lives. Still, it is a political matter to get money for trace works.

Bjornulf

Date: April 25, 2020 10:24

Who we are, what we do, and why we are here

I do say this many times, but people tend to forget, so I have to repeat myself.

There are approx two million Stones fans visiting IORR.org every year. Of these there are tens of thousands with posting access, while most visitors just read, they never log in or post. Lots of international sites do link up to IORR, we are on top 10 search, so it is important that IORR do have structure, and that the contents is respectful, and in tune with normal standards of people across the world.

IORR started out as a Norway Fan club in 1980, then Scandinavian, then I went English soon after, like 1982, so I named IORR "European Fan Club", I guess because I had never been outside Europe myself back then. I was a poor married father of three childen age 1, 3, 5, following 18 years at school. Already then IORR had many members in Japan, USA, South America and so on.

These days IORR is worldwide. USA do represent 60% of the IORR visitors, so USA is by far the largest fan base of the Stones, also the biggest market for the Stones, as well as the largest part of the IORR members and visitors. There are visitors and members from all over the world, Europe, Asia, Australia, NZ, South and North America, and so on.

I use to say that England is my 2nd home. Well if so then USA is my 3rd home, because that is for sure where I have seen The Rolling Stones most times, and I have spend months of my life on every tour. I have been to many states, and I have many friends in USA. The Stones should have been touring USA this summer, and I should have been in Los Angeles right now, as we speak.

Naturally USA is important to us all, both as Stones fans, as world citizens, and due to our economy. If USA fail then we all fail. One world. One economy. One band. The Rolling Stones. I do care about the best for USA. I don't share the hate I see people express. Sure politics are different across the world. I have been named communist, dictator, stupid and many other not so nice names over the years. Fine. I will still stand up for anyone, so that the truth will be told.

I try to keep politics out of IORR. Still, the corona virus is 50% science and 50% politics. In our neighbour country Sweden, science i.e. the health authorities do most of communication and decisions related to the virus. In Norway, science define 80% and politics define 20%. When we went into lockdown March 12, science i.e. our health authorities said schools and kindergarten could stay open, but our politicians wanted to be on the safe side, so they closed schools and kindergarten too.

Personally, I think politicians should listen to science. We do that when we build bridges, roads, sky scrapers, elevators, high speed trains, virtually anything. I would never have a politicial design the bridge I cross, or do surgery on my heart, if needed. I would like to have a real team of doctors.

Most countries seems to have a non-political mutual model to fight the virus. They follow science, then they fine tune may be 10% or 20% of the rest vs details of the lockdown. Few countries do have large fights on politics during this pandemic, even if we do see some political disputes, like in Brazil and USA.

I don't think this is the right time to do the blame game. We can all do that during election time, whenever that is. We may express our opinions politically in any channels we are in. Still, we can NOT agree on international politics here.

Sure, if a world leader say something completely opposing science, it is our duty to oppose to that. It is not ok to shoot yourself in the head in order to avoid getting killed by the corona virus. So that has to be told. It is not ok to burn down your house to get rid of the virus, because it does not make sense. Still, it is NOT ok to say "I hate this or I hate that, or red is stupid or blue is stupid, because that is just politics, nothing else.

I don't have all day moderating IORR. I do it in my spare time. These days I spend many many hours every day on IORR on and off. Please do not post very personal political statements here. I would have to delete them, and if you upset many others, I would have to delete 10-15 quoted posts following your post.

Let us agree on the fact that we do not always agree on politics. Please let us be friends, so that we can all meet up and celebrate The Rolling Stones, their music, and our friendship, when they tour their new songs and their new album, in the not too near, still not too distant future. Thanks!

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 25, 2020 10:36

Well said, BV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 11:46 by crholmstrom.

Date: April 25, 2020 15:02

Norway are banning all crowds larger than 500 until September 1. This means large concerts and festivals are off until that date.

Bislet Games (Diamond League Oslo), however, will happen June 11, with Norwegian and international participation, live on TV, but without a crowd.

The Bislett Alliance launches Impossible Games

The Corona pandemic stops the Wanda Diamond League at Bislett in its traditional form, but not meet director Steinar Hoen. The Bislett Alliance are now launching Impossible Games - a Wanda Diamond League Exhibition Event - at Bislett on June 11, with Norwegian and international participation. Everything within the Norwegian Corona Regulations. And with an hour of direct TV broadcast on NRK.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 25, 2020 15:59

Life was so beautiful, Then we all got locked down

The day when the "shit hit the fan" as Keith puts it was March 12 at least in my case. That day I left work early that day to catch the Florida State - Clemson ACC Tourney basketball game prior to my real goal of watching my beloved NC State Wolfpack face Duke.

It was a must game for the Pack as we were directly on the NCAA tourney bubble and to win that game. At approximately 11:30 the ESPN announced that the Big East Tournament had cancelled their tournament and the NBA announced the season was over and the domino effect was in play

Nothing has been the same since, Yes I'm working from home, and my client just extended the "work from home agenda" for non essential employees to July 13. This disposition really makes me feel like I truly in .live in a Ghost Town now.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: April 25, 2020 17:19

crholmstrom
Well said, BV.

Agree, I try not to say anything I wouldn't say to my friends over beers.

Date: April 25, 2020 17:23

Chris Fountain

The day when the "shit hit the fan" as Keith puts it was March 12 at least in my case. That day I left work early that day to catch the Florida State - Clemson ACC Tourney basketball game prior to my real goal of watching my beloved NC State Wolfpack face Duke.

It was a must game for the Pack as we were directly on the NCAA tourney bubble and to win that game. At approximately 11:30 the ESPN announced that the Big East Tournament had cancelled their tournament and the NBA announced the season was over and the domino effect was in play

Nothing has been the same since, Yes I'm working from home, and my client just extended the "work from home agenda" for non essential employees to July 13. This disposition really makes me feel like I truly in .live in a Ghost Town now.

It happened on the very same day in Norway. Thursday March 12. I had an appointment with my physiotherapist in the morning, then I went with my wife for shopping around 11am. Much to our surprise the shops were crowded, people had returned from work to do shopping, it was sold out on toilet paper and canned food, everybody had filled up their shopping carts to the max. When we arrived home after shopping, it was all over the media. Norway was in a complete lockdown. Schools, kindergarten, all sorts of 1:1 work like hair dressers, physiotherapist, gyms, swimming pools, libraries, our national borders, flights, ferries, border crossings, everything closed down immediately.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 17:25 by bv.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 25, 2020 17:36

Why would someone in such a position be "sarcastic" about COVID-19?

The hubris can't be charted.

Was talking to someone that works for FEMA (living in Louisiana I have my regional issues with FEMA but that's not relevant but it did make me wonder what to believe) two days ago, both of us in our vehicles, and he said, "China's making a killing on this. (Unintelligble) doctors in New York ordered cases of N95 masks, they were all fake."

I found no reason to not believe it, he was serious. I have not looked for anything about it news wise yet but if it's true, that's just criminal. I don't know if he meant NYC or just the state in general, I'm guessing NYC. The part I couldn't understand, thanks to the wind and someone's lawnmower or something, was the specific part of who the doctors were/are.

He expressed grave concern for things opening up too soon, mentioned the second round of the Spanish Flu (which originated in, yep, China) and said something about half the Earth's population died from it.

That old saying History repeats itself kept flooding my mind. Makes me feel that we're doomed.

Haven't seen the neighbor that's working on a vaccine in Covington, LA. She said COVID-19 was in the States in October... nobody knew. Waiting to hear more about that if - she works A LOT - I get a chance to talk with her again.

Date: April 25, 2020 17:37

bv
Chris Fountain

It happened on the very same day in Norway. Thursday March 12. I had an appointment with my physiotherapist in the morning, then I went with my wife for shopping around 11am. Much to our surprise the shops were crowded, people had returned from work to do shopping, it was sold out on toilet paper and canned food, everybody had filled up their shopping carts to the max. When we arrived home after shopping, it was all over the media. Norway was in a complete lockdown. Schools, kindergarten, all sorts of 1:1 work like hair dressers, physiotherapist, gyms, swimming pools, libraries, our national borders, flights, ferries, border crossings, everything closed down immediately.

March 12th was the day it really hit home here as well.
Daughter had been off school ill for the week, and I knew things had changed drastically when, like Bjornulf, I went to the store as I had been doing nearly daily, and it was swamped with people stocking up.

Next day, school closures, distancing measures announced.

Date: April 25, 2020 17:47

WHO says there is no evidence that people who have had COVID-19 can't get reinfected, antibodies or not.

[www.reuters.com]

Date: April 25, 2020 18:04

While living in the original "ground zero" state here in the US, initially my feelings (besides fear) were that it will either be really bad to be the first, or perhaps good, as we will move through it quicker than others as it spreads.

Both are somewhat true now, but I am more grateful to have been hit early, rather than be in one of the states who haven't reached their peak in this first wave.
Our local and state officials have been very good in dealing with the crisis imo. Things will start to "open up" a bit more here soon, and I trust that it will be done slowly and carefully, which will take quite some time until we are able to step up with more testing/tracking.

Inslee says elective surgeries, outdoor recreation and some construction could restart as Washington begins to recover from coronavirus

"OLYMPIA – Gov. Jay Inslee Tuesday evening announced a road map for reopening Washington’s economy that could soon allow the return of some elective surgeries, outdoor recreation and certain construction projects.

In a 5 p.m. televised public address, Inslee didn’t say when the stay-at-home order — scheduled to lift at the end of the day on May 4 — might start to be rolled back. The plan would only move forward, he said, once cases of the new coronavirus have fallen enough that the state is able to manage future outbreaks.

But Inslee said that data on cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus, was beginning to look favorable."
Inslee’s three-part plan includes massive statewide testing, teams of workers performing contact tracing, resources for mental health and homelessness and a phased-in reopening of certain businesses while continuing social distancing."

[www.seattletimes.com]

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:25

jumpontopofmebaby
TheflyingDutchman
shortfatfanny
TheflyingDutchman
Chris Fountain
I'm tired of Trump being misinterpreted or attacked - He simply meant maybe some medicines developed can serve as a disinfectant. No Big Deal. Everyday Trump is attacked -

Don't let it bother You. Donald said he was just trying to be sarcastic although
I didn't have that impression. He's very predictable in not being predictable.

Neither he has been misinterpreted nor it has been a sarcastic question, as he now claims.
He is simply irresponsible and dangerous....and it's a big deal,unfortunately...

At least he changes like the weather.

It's all good. Every American had better consider themselves lucky he will be the man calling the shots that will get us headed back in the right direction when this mess is over.

And you can damn sure bet he will never ever apologize for being an American. And you can bet he won't be sending anti american countries a billion dollars in cash ever.

And it is nice to know that GOD is a part of his life.

wow, you really think trump believes in god? he believes in himself. when you trying to get out of a hole, stop digging.

Date: April 25, 2020 20:36

MisterDDDD
bv
Chris Fountain

March 12th was the day it really hit home here as well.
Daughter had been off school ill for the week, and I knew things had changed drastically when, like Bjornulf, I went to the store as I had been doing nearly daily, and it was swamped with people stocking up.

Next day, school closures, distancing measures announced.

I was in NY. On the 10th I saw the Allman Brothers 50th show and was supposed to attend Love Rocks Benefit the 12th. On the 11th that was cancelled. I either caught it the 12th or 13th myself, flew home 15th and started showing symptoms the 17th.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:40

Skippy
He expressed grave concern for things opening up too soon, mentioned the second round of the Spanish Flu (which originated in, yep, China) and said something about half the Earth's population died from it

The Corona virus so far has a death toll of 200 thousand people (probably more though). The Spanish flu had a death toll between 17-100 million. Which corresponds to about 1-6 percent of the world population by then (1,8 billion). I don't know if there is any proof for the claim that the Spanish flue originated in China though. One significant difference between Corona and the Spanish flue is the age of the victims. The Spanish flue mostly hit younger people (20-40).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:48

Chris Fountain

Interesting - I recall watching some random NBA game (I don't even remember which teams) on TNT channel I think it was, when it was announced this was the last game of the NBA season.
I was sort of dumbstruck, and not that I ever downplayed the crisis since first hearing of it, but the severity of it all really hit home. In fact I think it was the first time I posted in this thread mentioning it's like a Twilight Zone episode. Just looked up the date of the NBA suspension which was March 11, and my wife and I still had plans to go to Vegas on March 17th. Then got word that ZZ Top canceled their show at he Venetian, casinos were closing, and ultimately ALL MGM casinos and resorts were completely closing down. Decision made for us...Vegas was definitely a no-go. Then the news just kept escalating and snowballing...schools closing, all of the college/university classes my wife teaches converted to online only, entire cities closing, states closing, and then entire countries closing down! People hoarding toilet paper!!! lol. Strange days for sure, but have become used to it. I'm able to get down to my studio to work which helps break up the 'ghost town' vibe, but even driving through town to get to my studio I'm reminded of it all...definitely a ghost town. Looking forward to the day where I can leave the house without a mask, and hopefully things will get somewhat back to "normal" sooner rather than later, but not before they can get a handle on this virus w/vaccines, etc. which could take quite awhile.
Meanwhile, listening to new Stones and new Dylan and whatever else...and with the heatwave upon is, gonna go buy some hair clippers and let my wife attempt to cut my hair, but I might end up looking like Curly from the Three Stooges...lol....

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 25, 2020 20:54

Stoneage
Skippy
He expressed grave concern for things opening up too soon, mentioned the second round of the Spanish Flu (which originated in, yep, China) and said something about half the Earth's population died from it

The Corona virus so far has a death toll of 200 thousand people (probably more though). The Spanish flu had a death toll between 17-100 million. Which corresponds to about 1-6 percent of the world population by then (1,8 billion). I don't know if there is any proof for the claim that the Spanish flue originated in China though. One significant difference between Corona and the Spanish flue is the age of the victims. The Spanish flue mostly hit younger people (20-40).

I could be wrong, but I think it was called "Spanish Flu" b/c it was first detected in Spain?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:04

kovach
crholmstrom
Well said, BV.

Agree, I try not to say anything I wouldn't say to my friends over beers.

This is a sound policy!

Date: April 25, 2020 21:23

stickyfingers101
Stoneage
Skippy

I could be wrong, but I think it was called "Spanish Flu" b/c it was first detected in Spain?

[www.history.com]

Comparing death tolls is like apples and oranges. First, in 1917/1918 the heathcare system was much less effective as today and second, we are still in the 2nd inning of the current pandemic. When 2 billion people exposed the death toll will be much higher. Right now its likely in the tens of millions to maybe 100 million. Lots of infection to occur.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:34

stickyfingers101
Stoneage
Skippy

The first case was detected in a military camp in Kansas.

Date: April 25, 2020 21:36

The Spanish Flu:

Spanish flu (Wikipedia)

To maintain morale, World War I censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States. Newspapers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain, such as the grave illness of King Alfonso XIII, and these stories created a false impression of Spain as especially hard hit. This gave rise to the name Spanish flu.

The major UK troop staging and hospital camp in Étaples in France has been theorized by virologist John Oxford as being at the center of the Spanish flu. His study found that in late 1916 the Étaples camp was hit by the onset of a new disease with high mortality that caused symptoms similar to the flu.

A 2018 study of tissue slides and medical reports led by evolutionary biology professor Michael Worobey found evidence against the disease originating from Kansas as those cases were milder and had fewer deaths compared to the situation in New York City in the same time period.

In short, there are several possible origins of the Spanish Flu, but probably not Spain.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-25 21:38 by bv.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 25, 2020 21:45

daspyknows
stickyfingers101
Stoneage
Skippy

[www.history.com]

Comparing death tolls is like apples and oranges. First, in 1917/1918 the heathcare system was much less effective as today and second, we are still in the 2nd inning of the current pandemic. When 2 billion people exposed the death toll will be much higher. Right now its likely in the tens of millions to maybe 100 million. Lots of infection to occur.

Sure, the Spanish Flu lasted about three years (1918-1920). The health care system can't do much when it comes to new viruses though. Not in the Middle Ages and not now. They practised about the same measures when the Black Death was around. Keeping distance and so on.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 25, 2020 22:20

This Washington Post article discusses new info being found in hospitals involving younger patients (30s and 40s) who test positive for the virus and, even if relatively symptom-free, suffer major strokes. They are also starting to see the virus affect other major organs. It seems this may affect younger and / or asymptomatic people in ways not yet determined. So much for just isolating the elderly...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 25, 2020 22:25

SomeTorontoGirl
This Washington Post article discusses new info being found in hospitals involving younger patients (30s and 40s) who test positive for the virus and, even if relatively symptom-free, suffer major strokes. They are also starting to see the virus affect other major organs. It seems this may affect younger and / or asymptomatic people in ways not yet determined. So much for just isolating the elderly...

[www.washingtonpost.com]

There's been a lot of talk in the UK this week about it attacking the kidneys too.............

Date: April 25, 2020 22:29

Norway Corona Development:

All hospitals in Norway are now in "green" status. They have been in "red", where other surgery was postponed, and later in "orange", with very high priority. Things are going back to more normal in hospitals, but things are still on high alert, with rules of social distancing etc.

On March 9 we had two people in hospital care with Covid-19. Three days later, on March 12, we went into a complete lockdown. April 1 we had the peak. Now, six weeks later, the curve looks like this as for Covid-19 patients.

RED = Patients in hospital
GREEN = Intensive care patients
PINK = Ventilator patients

Source:

Live: Corona-viruset sprer seg i Norge og verden (VG - Norwegian language)

Bjornulf

Date: April 25, 2020 23:38

you had to know this was coming:

disinfectant injections

Date: April 26, 2020 00:14

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 26, 2020 01:09

Hairball
Chris Fountain

Interesting - I recall watching some random NBA game (I don't even remember which teams) on TNT channel I think it was, when it was announced this was the last game of the NBA season.
I was sort of dumbstruck, and not that I ever downplayed the crisis since first hearing of it, but the severity of it all really hit home. In fact I think it was the first time I posted in this thread mentioning it's like a Twilight Zone episode. Just looked up the date of the NBA suspension which was March 11, and my wife and I still had plans to go to Vegas on March 17th. Then got word that ZZ Top canceled their show at he Venetian, casinos were closing, and ultimately ALL MGM casinos and resorts were completely closing down. Decision made for us...Vegas was definitely a no-go. Then the news just kept escalating and snowballing...schools closing, all of the college/university classes my wife teaches converted to online only, entire cities closing, states closing, and then entire countries closing down! People hoarding toilet paper!!! lol. Strange days for sure, but have become used to it. I'm able to get down to my studio to work which helps break up the 'ghost town' vibe, but even driving through town to get to my studio I'm reminded of it all...definitely a ghost town. Looking forward to the day where I can leave the house without a mask, and hopefully things will get somewhat back to "normal" sooner rather than later, but not before they can get a handle on this virus w/vaccines, etc. which could take quite awhile.
Meanwhile, listening to new Stones and new Dylan and whatever else...and with the heatwave upon is, gonna go buy some hair clippers and let my wife attempt to cut my hair, but I might end up looking like Curly from the Three Stooges...lol....

I haven't had a hair cut of what is left in over a month. Hair growing on back of neck - I call the barber shop and no one answers. the most transmittable point of contact is is Self Service Gas Pump handles - not Barber Shops or retail stores.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...113114115116117118119120121122123...LastNext
Current Page: 118 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1269
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home