Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...271272273274275276277278279280281...LastNext
Current Page: 276 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 13, 2021 07:53

So many (unvaxxed) people rushing out to see the tornado coming.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 13, 2021 08:03

GasLightStreet

It's a hard rain gonna fall.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: July 13, 2021 08:05

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

It's a hard rain gonna fall.

Its so funny, thats exactly the song that has been running around my head for the past few weeks.

jb

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 13, 2021 14:39

People still dying with this shit? We just had 2 ppl back to work, after their covid-vacation.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 13, 2021 20:24

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response

[www.nature.com]

The chief scientist of the WHO warns individuals against voluntarily mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines, calling it a 'dangerous trend'

[www.insider.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2021 21:10

Vaccinated Calif. man gets breakthrough COVID case after trip to Las Vegas, spreads to family

Coronavirus

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA -- A California couple says they were fully vaccinated, but still contracted COVID-19 while on vacation as experts say breakthrough cases are possible, especially with the delta variant. However, health officials say the vaccine is still the best defense against the virus. The highly contagious variant of the novel coronavirus that was initially identified in India is now the dominant strain in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health officials and experts alike have warned that the delta variant is a more infectious version of the disease, and preliminary data indicates it may increase the risk of hospitalization. The variant has also shown to be particularly dangerous to those who are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated against COVID-19. However, current evidence suggests that the full dosage of a COVID-19 vaccine is highly effective in preventing hospitalizations and serious illness. Data updated by the CDC last week shows the so-called delta variant, also known as B.1.617.2, was estimated to account for 51.7% of all new cases of COVID-19 across the country as of July 3.

In June, after more than a year of pandemic stress, Sean Fruit and his wife decided to go to Las Vegas. They were fully vaccinated and drove to their destination to avoid airplanes as an extra precaution. Once there, Fruit said they did not wear masks. "I took the option to take my mask off, and now that I look back on it, probably a bad idea," said Fruit. When they got back home to their two children in San Benito County, Fruit started to feel sick. He and his wife tested positive for COVID-19. "It was extremely frustrating because we just spent a year and a half avoiding this thing and it was scary. I mean I brought home the life-threatening illness that has been killing people around the country," explained Fruit, who added, "the only thing worse than that, is knowing I gave it to my kids." Too young to be vaccinated, their seven and nine-year-old kids had congestion and low-grade fevers. But Fruit, who has a history of sinus infections, was sick in bed. "I had never felt pain that bad in my head in my life. With my medical history, I'm pretty confident that if I hadn't had the boost from the vaccination, I might not be standing here talking to you right now," he said. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does say there is some evidence that vaccination may make illness less severe in people who get vaccinated but still get sick. "Despite this, some fully vaccinated people will still be hospitalized and die. However, fully vaccinated people are much less likely to be hospitalized or die than people with similar risk factors who are not vaccinated," the CDC said. Fruit and his family are OK now, but they're part of a shifting pattern in breakthrough COVID cases. The CDC has said "vaccine breakthrough cases are expected." "COVID-19 vaccines are effective and are a critical tool to bring the pandemic under control. However, no vaccines are 100% effective at preventing illness in vaccinated people. There will be a small percentage of fully vaccinated people who still get sick, are hospitalized, or die from COVID-19," the CDC said.

As for the variants, the CDC said, "New variants of the virus that causes COVID-19 illness are spreading in the United States. Current data suggest that COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in the United States offer protection against most variants. However, some variants might cause illness in some people after they are fully vaccinated." Our sister station KGO-TV reports, of nine COVID patients at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital this past week, two were vaccinated. Of 13 COVID patients in Marin County hospitals, two were also fully vaccinated. "Right now, we're about one in five of our cases are among people who are vaccinated, before that was about one in ten," said Marin County Health Officer Dr. Matt Willis. "Obviously the concern there is that the vaccine may not be quite as effective against the delta variant." Willis said the vaccinated patients in the Marin hospital are older with underlying conditions; he also said they're doing well compared to unvaccinated patients. "This is not an indictment of the effectiveness of the vaccine, but I think it's a reminder to us that variants are real, they do represent a risk to us, and our best line of defense is still getting that vaccine," Willis said. The CDC said, "Current data suggest that COVID-19 vaccines authorized for use in the United States offer protection against most SARS-CoV-2 variants currently circulating in the United States. However, variants will cause some vaccine breakthrough cases." The CDC is continuing to monitor breakthrough cases. As of May 1, the CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported vaccine breakthrough cases to focus on identifying and investigating only hospitalized or fatal cases due to any cause. This shift, they said, will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance.

Date: July 13, 2021 22:06

bleedingman

[www.nature.com]

The chief scientist of the WHO warns individuals against voluntarily mixing and matching COVID-19 vaccines, calling it a 'dangerous trend'

[www.insider.com]

yeah. freaking ridiculous. In our jurisdiction we were virtually being encouraged to mix'n'match for the best 'response'.

It's one thing when you hear garbage spewing from morons on social media but quite another when the 'authorities' can't come to agreement based on the evidence and speak with one voice.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 13, 2021 22:08

treaclefingers
bleedingman

[www.nature.com]

[www.insider.com]

yeah. freaking ridiculous. In our jurisdiction we were virtually being encouraged to mix'n'match for the best 'response'.

It's one thing when you hear garbage spewing from morons on social media but quite another when the 'authorities' can't come to agreement based on the evidence and speak with one voice.

Exactly! I believe here in Canada they don't agree with this WHO finding.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 13, 2021 22:19

treaclefingers

Very worrying that they are experimenting with different strategies without knowing what's best. Who do you trust?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 13, 2021 22:59

Covid-19 Cases Are Spiking … Uhh, Pretty Much Everywhere

By Ryan Bort
July 13, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: July 13, 2021 23:01

Hairball
Vaccinated Calif. man gets breakthrough COVID case after trip to Las Vegas, spreads to family

Coronavirus

Fruit, who has a history of sinus infections, was sick in bed. "I had never felt pain that bad in my head in my life. With my medical history, I'm pretty confident that if I hadn't had the boost from the vaccination, I might not be standing here talking to you right now," he said.

Except that he got sick because he trusted the vaccine to keep him safe. Had he not been vaccinated, he wouldn't have gone to Vegas, wouldn't have taken off the mask, and wouldn't have gotten himself and his family sick.

Date: July 13, 2021 23:33

bye bye johnny

By Ryan Bort
July 13, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Dr. Michelle Fiscus got fired for doing her job, which Tennessee Republicans did not like.

Wow.

Go figure.

Date: July 13, 2021 23:44

Go figure indeed.

I wonder what these jurisdictions are that encouraged people to mix and match vaxxes. Certainly was not the case here in California, if you got moderna 1 you were supposed to get moderna 2, same with pfizer. I never read anywhere any advice to the contrary until right here right now.

jb

Date: July 13, 2021 23:51

jbwelda
Go figure indeed.

I wonder what these jurisdictions are that encouraged people to mix and match vaxxes. Certainly was not the case here in California, if you got moderna 1 you were supposed to get moderna 2, same with pfizer. I never read anywhere any advice to the contrary until right here right now.

jb

I just saw that as well.

What would possess someone to do that!!?? I got Moderna 1 and 2.

Date: July 14, 2021 00:10

GasLightStreet
jbwelda
Go figure indeed.

jb

I just saw that as well.

Do ya feel lucky?

Mix-and-Match COVID Vaccines: The Case Is Growing, but Questions Remain

People can now “feel a bit more comfortable” with the idea of mix-and-match, says immunologist Leif Erik Sander at Charité University Hospital in Berlin.

Mix-and-match studies were prompted, in large part, by concerns over the safety of the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford and pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca in Cambridge, both in the United Kingdom.

[www.scientificamerican.com]

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 14, 2021 00:53

Cassandra Berry, a professor of immunology at Murdoch University, is waiting on her second dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine. But she expects an mRNA shot such as Pfizer (which requires only three weeks, not three months, between doses) would do just as well. “In fact, I think it’d be better,” she says.

Mixing vaccines is not new; scientists such as Berry have been using the tactic to try to boost immunity against influenza and Ebola for years. In June, German chancellor Angela Merkel switched shots mid-stream from AstraZeneca to the mRNA Moderna, and countries such as Canada, Sweden, Spain and France are also mixing COVID vaccines, often as preferred policy. But, while all the new vaccines approved around the world are safe and effective, how they perform together is less clear. Many experts, including in Australia, are urging people to stick with the plan and “match, not mix”.

Sydney Morning Herald

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 14, 2021 01:08

GasLightStreet
bye bye johnny

By Ryan Bort
July 13, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Dr. Michelle Fiscus got fired for doing her job, which Tennessee Republicans did not like.

Wow.

Go figure.

No surprise here. I am surprised that Nashville is the hottest housing market in the country. I see so many California license plates now, it’s astounding. They’re in for a shock if they think the mentality here is anything like it appears to be in California. This is a huge Trump state that is mostly unvaccinated. So much to love about Tennessee, but ignorance is rampant here.

Date: July 14, 2021 01:09

DGA35
treaclefingers
bleedingman

[www.nature.com]

[www.insider.com]

Exactly! I believe here in Canada they don't agree with this WHO finding.

Well the WHO finding is basically, "don't do it, it could be dangerous, we haven't studied this enough".

The Canadians are saying..."don't worry, it'll be fine we think", as they have access to the same info as the WHO would. If things start going sideways with people that have mixed vaccines there's going to be hell to pay. I know quite a lot of people that did it.

Date: July 14, 2021 01:13

GasLightStreet
jbwelda
Go figure indeed.

jb

I just saw that as well.

In many jurisdictions the supply of certain vaccines wasn't constant. So you may have gotten the Pfizer, but all of a sudden Pfizer is behind, so it's not available.

We get told. "DOn't Worry...it may even be BETTER to mix the vaccines!". Certainly the case when it came to Astra Zeneca and that supply dried up.

I didn't trust it because they sounded like they were talking out of their hiney, but I know a lot of people that did mix and match, mercifully no one in my immediate family.

Anyway, it seems like a 'roll of the die' and it'll probably be ok, but we'll find out over time, won't we?

Date: July 14, 2021 01:29

Well see I could see it if what is done is get one shot of X vax, then because of whatever circumstances may warrant it, start the series over with the first shot of Y vax and follow up with a 2nd of Y. Not to get part one of X and then part two of Y. I am not sure that last strategy would result in the promised immunity or resistance to the disease. I could see the logic of loading up on a full course of multiple vaxes, though I kind of doubt it would do any good...but I am not a doctor or researcher.

jb

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 14, 2021 01:31

I had maybe incorrectly assumed the shots should be administered as they were tested. I'd be very leery of doing anything other than that without proper testing.

Date: July 14, 2021 02:04

...and that's the thing. There really wasn't any proper testing, or conclusions reached before they did the green light on it.

They central authority was so concerned about the 3rd wave we had and getting it under control they were desperate to get people vaxxed.

So the strategy worked as we ended up with the highest number of first jabs in the world for awhile, I think Canada is behind Chile now in first jabs.

But an incredibly low number of new cases every day, and the number of active cases in the entire country now infected is about 5000. Compare that with the USA at 4.8 million active cases.

Canada has about 1/10th the population, so 'roughly' we should have 480,000 active cases.

Put another way, instead of 4.8 million cases, the USA should have 50000.

It's probably an oversimplification and the US has dug itself out of a much deeper hole than Canada, but even still that strategy was effective.

It's just now whether there'll be a price to pay for 'rushing it' with the mix and matching of vaccines.

Date: July 14, 2021 06:58

Covid outbreak among vaccinated Vegas hospital workers underscores Delta risks

[www.theguardian.com]

Catt Sadler Is Sick with COVID After Getting Fully Vaccinated: 'Delta Is Relentless'

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 14, 2021 08:23

bleedingman
Covid outbreak among vaccinated Vegas hospital workers underscores Delta risks

[www.theguardian.com]

Catt Sadler Is Sick with COVID After Getting Fully Vaccinated: 'Delta Is Relentless'

[www.yahoo.com]

Agreed.

But together the articles demonstrate that whilst no vaccine fully protects against getting the disease, they all really do hugely reduce the likelihood of the infection getting serious, serious enough to reduce the likelihood of hospital admission, and reduce the likelihood of death.

Note. "Greatly reduce" not "eliminate".

So this really should encourage everyone to go out and get vaccinated as soon as you can!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: July 14, 2021 08:28

I have a view that a vaccine that to all intents and purposes does eliminate the virus is a long way off.

I have this view because the developers are trying to hit a moving target with all of the variations that are emerging.

The fact that so many variations are emerging is necessarily because there are still so many cases (more cases = more variations). And there are still so many cases because, in part, some Govts are deciding to "let it rip" and to carry on as if there was no real threat.

IMHO any policy that does not inhibit case numbers is a policy that actually prolongs the life of the Global Pandemic.

Once the case numbers are low, then it seems hugely likely that a virus can be developed which really does eliminate.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: July 14, 2021 08:33

bleedingman
GasLightStreet
jbwelda
Go figure indeed.

jb

I just saw that as well.

Do ya feel lucky?

Mix-and-Match COVID Vaccines: The Case Is Growing, but Questions Remain

People can now “feel a bit more comfortable” with the idea of mix-and-match, says immunologist Leif Erik Sander at Charité University Hospital in Berlin.

Mix-and-match studies were prompted, in large part, by concerns over the safety of the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford and pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca in Cambridge, both in the United Kingdom.

[www.scientificamerican.com]

Based on now, 7-14-2021, I don't know what to feel, other than I got vaxxed and I'm in a better place than those around me in the states with people that haven't. I've never believed that the proposed herd immunity would happen, period, and it's turning out to look like just the idea of it, at it's minimum, won't happen.

I, like others, have no control over people choosing to not get vaxxed. If that results in more deaths, well, whatever, at this point I do not care. Why should I? They don't care. I've done my part to look out for myself and those around me.

Date: July 14, 2021 08:37

bleedingman
Hairball

Coronavirus

Fruit, who has a history of sinus infections, was sick in bed. "I had never felt pain that bad in my head in my life. With my medical history, I'm pretty confident that if I hadn't had the boost from the vaccination, I might not be standing here talking to you right now," he said.

Except that he got sick because he trusted the vaccine to keep him safe. Had he not been vaccinated, he wouldn't have gone to Vegas, wouldn't have taken off the mask, and wouldn't have gotten himself and his family sick.

True. Some people are 'whatever' having been vaxxed.

But.

Had he not gotten vaxxed... can you pinpoint this as for all? No. But. Time will tell if that happens.

Date: July 14, 2021 08:40

NashvilleBlues
GasLightStreet
bye bye johnny

By Ryan Bort
July 13, 2021

[www.rollingstone.com]

Wow.

Go figure.

No surprise here. I am surprised that Nashville is the hottest housing market in the country. I see so many California license plates now, it’s astounding. They’re in for a shock if they think the mentality here is anything like it appears to be in California. This is a huge Trump state that is mostly unvaccinated. So much to love about Tennessee, but ignorance is rampant here.

Having spent time in Nashville I have an understanding of what you're saying. The Trunts will not get vaxxed. And if, or when, they get the Delta, oh well. The housing market might get bigger.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2021 08:42

THE AGE --- 14 July 2021

ROCKMAN

Date: July 14, 2021 08:45

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
jbwelda
Go figure indeed.

jb

I just saw that as well.

In many jurisdictions the supply of certain vaccines wasn't constant. So you may have gotten the Pfizer, but all of a sudden Pfizer is behind, so it's not available.

We get told. "DOn't Worry...it may even be BETTER to mix the vaccines!". Certainly the case when it came to Astra Zeneca and that supply dried up.

I didn't trust it because they sounded like they were talking out of their hiney, but I know a lot of people that did mix and match, mercifully no one in my immediate family.

Anyway, it seems like a 'roll of the die' and it'll probably be ok, but we'll find out over time, won't we?

If the timeline for getting vax 1 and 2 is true with Moderna, which as far as I know it is, people can wait to get the second dose within a year if they choose to or can't, the latter of which is ridiculous, but you know, First World problems.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...271272273274275276277278279280281...LastNext
Current Page: 276 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home