Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
San Diego CA USA/CA 2020 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 6, 2020 20:29

Please post your comments, questions and info related the following Rolling Stones No Filter USA/CA Tour 2020 show and travel here:

SAN DIEGO

Bjornulf

Re: San Diego CA USA/CA 2020 - Stones travel and show info
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 6, 2020 20:30

First comment - hooray! smiling smiley

More to follow.....

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: February 6, 2020 20:46

IORR meet up?

Please let me know - where do you guys stay? Whats the place to be? I booked he Day Inn by Wyndham Downtown.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 6, 2020 21:09

Doing this one. Have rooms booked at Rodeway and Handlery nearby.

Posted by: spidey9 ()
Date: February 6, 2020 21:24

San Diego local here. SDCCU stadium (formerly Qualcomm Stadium) is located in Mission Valley, 10 miles or so north of downtown.

Unfortunately there are no hotels within easy walking distance. The nearest hotels are a couple of miles away and include the Mission Valley Marriott, Springhill Suites Mission Valley and the Days Inn and Rodeway Inn on Adobe Falls Rd.

Another option is using the San Diego Trolley, as there is a Trolley stop right in the stadium parking lot. Metro Transit runs extra lines during special events. Any hotel along the trolley line would work. The trolley provides a quick connection to the downtown area,

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 6, 2020 23:04

Thanks all for the tips!
I'm in for the opener (!!) booked (for now) at the Double Tree for a reasonable decent rate. 8 minutes via trolley to venue.. can't wait!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 7, 2020 00:26

I'm pretty sure I'm there! Depends on ticket situation, etc. Can't wait.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Summergirl ()
Date: February 7, 2020 00:36

Hello All!!
Will also be making the opener and would love to meet up with fellow "IORR" fans!
We are staying at the Marriott in Mission Valley. Receptionist at the hotel said the trolly runs from that hotel over to the stadium.
I'm a San Diego State University alumnus so it will be fun to be back in the stadium (known as Jack Murphy/Charger Stadium in my day).
See you all soon!!

Date: February 7, 2020 00:37

Booked a refundable Studio suite King/w/sofa bed at the Spring Hill Suites Mission Valley with Marriott membership at $165/night - trolley half a mile away, but not really a far walk to stadium at only 2.4 miles away.
I already did a virtual walk via google maps haha, and it's a walk in the park! Just looked at site again, and prices are rising...over $200 now....

Backup plan B at Hilton Garden Inn - same room type, similar price, close to trolly, but a good 6 miles from stadium - more than likely keeping Plan A due to closeness to stadium.

Yippee!

Now on to buying tickets...............thumbs up

Summergirl
Hello All!!
Will also be making the opener and would love to meet up with fellow "IORR" fans!
We are staying at the Marriott in Mission Valley. Receptionist at the hotel said the trolly runs from that hotel over to the stadium.
I'm a San Diego State University alumnus so it will be fun to be back in the stadium (known as Jack Murphy/Charger Stadium in my day).
See you all soon!!

Neighbors....smiling smiley...I'll be right across the way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-07 00:39 by Hairball.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: February 7, 2020 01:02

My hometown gets another opener! Pit 2!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 7, 2020 03:21

Booked at the Hilton Mission Valley for 5-8 and 9...

Probably fly into LAX, then drive south.

Been to SD twice in the past, for a Chargers game in '99 and for the Priest in '09 at SDSU Open Air, a great venue!

Cali sunshine on the menu sounds great in February in dreary Ohio!

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: February 7, 2020 05:59

I also booked the SpringHill Suites San Diego Mission Valley.
Hairball, I hope to meet you there. By the way, I am afraid of heights. It sounds like you have already scouted out the walk from the hotel to the stadium. I was wondering: to walk to the stadium do you have to go over high overpasses over the highway or anything like that? Thanks.

Date: February 7, 2020 06:21

OhYesMeAgain
Hairball, I hope to meet you there. By the way, I am afraid of heights. It sounds like you have already scouted out the walk from the hotel to the stadium. I was wondering: to walk to the stadium do you have to go over high overpasses over the highway or anything like that? Thanks.

No - there's a bridge with sidewalk over the river on Qualcomm Way to get to the trolley stop and then onwards to the stadium.
Doesn't look high at all - in fact it looks quite scenic and pleasant! View from midway point of bridge on a virtual walk courtesy google map:

Hope to meet at the SpringHill Suites!

Posted by: OhYesMeAgain ()
Date: February 7, 2020 06:43

Hairball
OhYesMeAgain

No - there's a bridge with sidewalk over the river on Qualcomm Way to get to the trolley stop and then onwards to the stadium.
Doesn't look high at all - in fact it looks quite scenic and pleasant! View from midway point of bridge on a virtual walk courtesy google map:

Hope to meet at the SpringHill Suites!

Thanks Hairball. Yes, the bridge walk does look scenic and pleasant. I hope to meet you at the SpringHill Suites too. I think we have been to some of the same shows before (such as the Rose Bowl) but never quite ran into each other. Thanks again for the info about the walk. It calms my worries.

Posted by: Kerryann ()
Date: February 7, 2020 08:53

Flying into LA from New Zealand on 7 May with plans to overnight there, then catch an early train to SD morning of the 8th. Booked Marriott Mission Valley for the 8th, then into the Gaslight area for 9th and 10th.

Can anyone local comment on the reliability of the Pacific Surfliner train?

Posted by: curt ()
Date: February 7, 2020 09:43

Kerryann
Flying into LA from New Zealand on 7 May with plans to overnight there, then catch an early train to SD morning of the 8th. Booked Marriott Mission Valley for the 8th, then into the Gaslight area for 9th and 10th.

Can anyone local comment on the reliability of the Pacific Surfliner train?

The Pacific Surfliner train is the best way to go from L.A. to San Diego.

Pacific Surfliner info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-07 09:58 by curt.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: February 7, 2020 15:15

Are they seriously going to sell extremely limited view seats? Block V61/V42 looks insane on the seat map.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-07 15:18 by WelshEdge1.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 8, 2020 09:25

As the opening show, this thread should have a lot more posts than it does. Chicago last year had the largest number of pages by far, as I remember. People like to go to the opening show. But I suppose San Diego is not Chicago in terms of size, media market and reputation.

plexi

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 8, 2020 15:39

Arriving on Monday, May 4 and staying all week with a friend who lives in La Mesa.

I've never been to California.

Looking forward!

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: February 8, 2020 17:09

I’ve never been to San Diego. Please advise if you are local or familiar with the area. This trip will be for 5 guys, old college buddies, now 50++ year olds that get together every year somewhere in the world. Past trips included Ireland, Prague and Barcelona for Stones shows. I plan to arrive on the 4th and hang outside the stadium for rehearsals with all arriving for the 8-11th weekend. Not a museum or site visiting group, more about drinking and restaurants and live music. Would a house rental in Mission Beach or La Jolla be a good place for us to stay or do you have other suggestions? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to a few more shows!

Date: February 8, 2020 18:21

Topi
Arriving on Monday, May 4 and staying all week with a friend who lives in La Mesa.

I've never been to California.

Looking forward!

Hope you get to explore. Maybe we can meet in at the show.

Date: February 8, 2020 18:36

2120Joe
I’ve never been to San Diego. Please advise if you are local or familiar with the area. This trip will be for 5 guys, old college buddies, now 50++ year olds that get together every year somewhere in the world. Past trips included Ireland, Prague and Barcelona for Stones shows. I plan to arrive on the 4th and hang outside the stadium for rehearsals with all arriving for the 8-11th weekend. Not a museum or site visiting group, more about drinking and restaurants and live music. Would a house rental in Mission Beach or La Jolla be a good place for us to stay or do you have other suggestions? Thanks in advance! Looking forward to a few more shows!

Not a local, have only been to the area a few times, but my first thought was a rental near Pacific Beach (in-between La Jolla & Mission Beach).
Have stayed there a couple times.. a lot of great restaurants, live music, bars etc. there.
Any of those areas would be great.. but PB would top my list for that itinerary cool smiley

Posted by: brucepv ()
Date: February 8, 2020 18:53

Downtown near the Gaslamp District can be a great location for a group as well, plenty of food and drink to be found there. You can take the trolley to the stadium for rehearsals and the show.

You might want to consider a day trip to Tijuana as well, TJ has a great craft beer and food scene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-08 18:54 by brucepv.

Posted by: Kerryann ()
Date: February 9, 2020 00:33

After the 8th we are planning on a few days in the Gaslight area. Is this a good area to stay for nightlife, restaurants, sightseeing etc? My on-line search seems to indicate this is the happening place to hang out.
Also are there any recommended live music blues bars worth visiting?

Date: February 9, 2020 02:24

What is the liklihood of a practice show the day before? Not one we can get into, but potentially hear? If so, any chance of getting into the parking lot?

Date: February 9, 2020 03:50

Not sure daspy, but it might be worth a try to scout it out.
If no practice show, hoping to run into my friend Dave the merch truck guy in the parking lot again who set MisterDDDD and myself up with some cool Stones shirts at Santa Clara. Parking lot was wide open there the day before the show - could be the same at SDCCU. Might be able to get off at the light rail station and stroll on down, otherwise manuever around through Lowes and Costco to Friars road and see if we can breach the barriers...doesn't look very well fortified, though the massive surrounding parking lot might be set with booby traps.winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-09 03:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 9, 2020 04:59

[www.aztecstadium.com]

Reading the info on the new SDSU stadium, it looks like groundbreaking in April would be in the NW corner of the parking lots. Some of this area could be unavailable for recon and parking for the gig... Not sure?

Date: February 9, 2020 05:37

Hairball
If no practice show, hoping to run into my friend Dave the merch truck guy in the parking lot again who set MisterDDDD and myself up with some cool Stones shirts at Santa Clara. Parking lot was wide open there the day before the show - could be the same at SDCCU. Might be able to get off at the light rail station and stroll on down, otherwise manuever around through Lowes and Costco to Friars road and see if we can breach the barriers...doesn't look very well fortified, though the massive surrounding parking lot might be set with booby traps.winking smiley

Well, if they do a practice show it aught to be captured. Don't you think? Did they do one last year?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-09 05:38 by daspyknows.

Date: February 9, 2020 16:46

daspyknows
Hairball

Well, if they do a practice show it aught to be captured. Don't you think? Did they do one last year?

Did a bit of an extended sound check day of show as I recall in Chicago.. but definitely worth scoping out day before for this one.. be great if they did a run through!

Hope Dave gets the call again Hairball cool smiley
Even without the shirts, would be fun to talk to again, great stories!

Date: February 9, 2020 18:27

MisterDDDD

Hope Dave gets the call again Hairball cool smiley
Even without the shirts, would be fun to talk to again, great stories!

Yep - in fact I have a gift for him!
He knows how to spread the good vibes.thumbs up

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home