Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - out September 4
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 10, 2020 03:01

The War on Drugs remix is the version that's played in the lame new Paul Mescal video.

According to this site: Rolling Stones News

"The new video for ‘Scarlet’, taken off from the re-release of Goats Head Soup premiered yesterday.

They call it “The War On Drugs Remix”'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-10 03:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 10, 2020 03:18

a) never heard of them
b) that wiki link goes to a page that never seems to have heard of them either
c) war on drugs means only one thing to those who were the subject of it
d) "remixes" done by the latest and greatest "stars" are almost always headache inducing bs sessions
e) lame, totally lame
f) negative as all fcuk about bullshit like this
g) most always, those Japanese "extras" are nothing to get excited about nor spend extra money to get
h) sucker bait and seems there are a lot of fish in the ocean grabbing for that bait.
i) covid-19 just because

thanks
jb

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 10, 2020 03:32

This is what I see in the comments every time I come back to these threads now eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-10 03:59 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 10, 2020 03:43

FYI -

Forum moderator's not a fan of animated graphics. Don't be surprised if that post disappears.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: August 10, 2020 04:00

bye bye johnny
FYI -

Forum moderator's not a fan of animated graphics. Don't be surprised if that post disappears.

Got it, thanks for the heads up thumbs up

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: August 10, 2020 05:24

I don’t really think Scarlet would make a pimple on the ass of Plundered My Soul or No Spare Parts. But hey, let’s have as many remixes as Saint of Me or Rain Fall Down! I’m glad I bought the Japanese Super Deluxe Box to get those other two tracks. It’s almost like Mick knows it’s so shitty they keep trying to make it better with more remixes

Date: August 10, 2020 11:13

jbwelda
a) never heard of them
b) that wiki link goes to a page that never seems to have heard of them either
c) war on drugs means only one thing to those who were the subject of it
d) "remixes" done by the latest and greatest "stars" are almost always headache inducing bs sessions
e) lame, totally lame
f) negative as all fcuk about bullshit like this
g) most always, those Japanese "extras" are nothing to get excited about nor spend extra money to get
h) sucker bait and seems there are a lot of fish in the ocean grabbing for that bait.
i) covid-19 just because

thanks
jb

You've never heard of War On Drugs? Where have you been, man? grinning smiley

It wasn't possible to link to the Wiki-page for some reason. Here's a link to their website. They won a Grammy for best rock album in 2018, fyi.

[www.thewarondrugs.net]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-10 11:21 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 10, 2020 19:38

jbwelda
e) lame, totally lame
jb

all remixes are pointless and lame. Some turn out ok but doesn't change the fact they are pointless and never worth the effort or time. Release your song and move on.

These became popular in the 80s/90s as a cheap alternative to having bands come back together to record legit b-sides, and for some reason so many seem to look forward to them.

Date: August 11, 2020 00:17

Actually I would have to take exception to that, Leonid. I specifically recall remixes from the 80s ((English) Beat to name one group consistently putting out fireball remixes on 12" single) being particularly worthy. But don't believe I have ever heard one from outsiders that improved a Rolling Stones song.

jb

Date: August 11, 2020 00:33

jbwelda
Actually I would have to take exception to that, Leonid. I specifically recall remixes from the 80s ((English) Beat to name one group consistently putting out fireball remixes on 12" single) being particularly worthy. But don't believe I have ever heard one from outsiders that improved a Rolling Stones song.

jb

The Jeff Bhasker mix of Doom And Gloom was far superior to the GRRR-version. So there are exceptions smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2020 00:53

"Far superior"...is relative and a matter of personal opinion.
For me, none of the versions of Doom and Gloom were any good at all.
Even when they played it live it was a turd, but at least it was something new.

Date: August 11, 2020 01:09

I never picked up that Grrr set, seemed way too redundant to me and the artwork...man, a new low.

jb

Date: August 11, 2020 01:22

Yeah it was redundant and a new low, but there was a massive blowout sale several years ago of a Deluxe 5 cd box (80 track version) that included a large book, a cd of early demos, and a nice 7" vinyl ep.
I think I paid only $45 for it which was a pretty darn good deal, but yeah...a lot of it was redundant and unnecessary...and the gorilla...eye rolling smiley

All the various versions - GRRR

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 11, 2020 01:31

Their last album ‘A Deeper Understanding’ was just incredible.

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: plusplusjames ()
Date: August 11, 2020 01:44

nick1970
Just like to say I enjoyed James Olcott’s article about goats head soup. I’m very much in the camp of finding out about the merits of the album, the arguments and discussion for the album were very well put.i went away and registered to the album... I enjoy 100 years ago, heartbreaker and star star hide your love and silver train as well. Can’t really get Dancing with mr D. Other tracks more than make up for it. I don’t have a copy of Brussels affair ... so I am tempted .. but very expensive for the reissue. I wonder if there is a cost effective way of getting hold of Brussels affair. Anyway, very good article thanks..

Thank you Nick. It was all fiction, by the way. I’m hanging for All the Rage, can’t wait it for it to drop.

Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue - September 4
Posted by: plusplusjames ()
Date: August 11, 2020 01:53

westonkeef
"Hide Your Love" is a great example of Mick Taylor elevating a track with his fluid phrasing and musianship.

Exactly right.

Posted by: s083874 ()
Date: August 11, 2020 02:20

I know I'm late to the game on this one. But it just plain sucks. When I hear stuff like this I blast Ventilator Blues or this:

[www.youtube.com]

I want the blues dammit.

Date: August 11, 2020 02:32

jbwelda

jb

English Beat! I remember when that Save It For Later song came out, I actually bought the album -- but sorry, after 1 listen I couldn't stand it, I never really listened to them again.

Date: August 11, 2020 02:39

that was by far their weakest album and they had pretty much lost it by then. Try Wha'ppen or Just Can't Stop It or any of the many 12" released during that period. But Special Beat Service...eh, not so much.

My point, again, is that their remixes were often better (to my ears) than the LP or 7" versions.

Of course, maybe you just had to be there.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-11 02:40 by jbwelda.

Date: August 11, 2020 02:51

jbwelda
that was by far their weakest album and they had pretty much lost it by then. Try Wha'ppen or Just Can't Stop It or any of the many 12" released during that period. But Special Beat Service...eh, not so much.

My point, again, is that their remixes were often better (to my ears) than the LP or 7" versions.

Of course, maybe you just had to be there.

jb

Yeah, not denying remixes 'can' be better, but again, I really have no interest in them. I can't stand when bands do them. I was a huge U2 fan at one point, but then they became all about the remixes, which I found incredibly annoying (their Pop album didn't help things either).

I 'tolerate' remixes w/ the Stones, but hey, they are the Stones and I love them - but I would far prefer they don't allow them!

How come Led Zeppelin and Jimi Henrix never needed remixes? Well it's possible they would have if they were there in the 90s too but somehow I don't think so.

Date: August 11, 2020 03:01

The English Beat's first album I Just Can't Stop It from 1980 was especially good, and they were highly regarded around that time - at least in my neighborhood - in a similar league as the Specials even.
Punky/ska/reggae.... Mirror in the Bathroom...whats not to like? And their cover of Tears of a Clown also had an infectious groove...Tears of a Clown...brings back loads of memories....thumbs up

Date: August 11, 2020 03:15

Hairball
The English Beat's first album I Just Can't Stop It from 1980 was especially good, and they were highly regarded around that time - at least in my neighborhood - in a similar league as the Specials even.
Punky/ska/reggae.... Mirror in the Bathroom...whats not to like? And their cover of Tears of a Clown also had an infectious groove...Tears of a Clown...brings back loads of memories....thumbs up

To each their own! I don't recall the album at all now, just my memory from back then - what I do recall is giving it one listen and deciding I couldn't stand it! I gave away many of my vinyl albums to a record store about 10 years ago, so I am assuming I don't even have the album anymore to listen again (not that I would waste time on it even if i did).

Date: August 11, 2020 03:24

I wasn't trying to change your mind nor was I even replying to you LeonidP - I was replying to and adding on to what jbwelda had posted regarding their first two albums.
Sorry for the confusion.

Date: August 11, 2020 04:32

I preferred Wha'ppen for it more roots reggae sound but their first really had the snapping dance tracks on it. I remember walking into a record store when it first came out and hearing them blast it on the system. I was like, what the heck is this, I gotta get a copy. Plus I think I grabbed a couple 12" remix/extended versions and a Stand Down Margaret 7". From then on for a couple years the Beat's section was my first stop in a record shop.

I liked them more than the Specials, but really liked the Specials as well. That they had reggae great Rico with them was a big plus. I later talked to Rico for a couple hours about those days and he had some crazy stories about fighting the National Front and all that chaos. He said he was a long ways from home.

jb

Posted by: CJFP ()
Date: August 11, 2020 06:27

Anyone know if the full digital release will be on spotify? I saw that it'll be on apple music in a post on here a few days back.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: August 11, 2020 10:22

Hairball
The War on Drugs remix is the version that's played in the lame new Paul Mescal video.

According to this site: Rolling Stones News

"The new video for ‘Scarlet’, taken off from the re-release of Goats Head Soup premiered yesterday.

They call it “The War On Drugs Remix”'.

That's what the description on YouTube errously said when the video premiered. But they immediately took this off (it was gone on the next day). The video uses the radio edit as soundtrack, not The War On Drugs Remix.

N

Date: August 11, 2020 14:06

Hairball
I wasn't trying to change your mind nor was I even replying to you LeonidP - I was replying to and adding on to what jbwelda had posted regarding their first two albums.
Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure where this came from. I didn't imply you were trying to change my mind. No confusion. I was just reiterating my point by replying to you.

** edit ... back on point, I can't wait to hear the new GHS reissue!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-11 14:07 by LeonidP.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 11, 2020 15:06

THE ROLLING STONES x THE WAR ON DRUGS x COMING FRIDAY

@TheWarOnDrugs #Scarlet #GoatsHeadSoup2020

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 11, 2020 15:35

THE ROLLING STONES: In brand new interviews, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and more talk Goats Head Soup! They recall heading to Kingston, Jamaica, to record the record, and remember “dogs and weirdness”, altered time zones, Jimmy Page and a lot of guitars… “It was always great fun,” says Richards, “but the pace of things…”

[www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 11, 2020 16:51

Am i the only one who thinks David's Bailey art for the album is masterful and still powerful today?

Okay Bailey stole the idea from a 1971 Irving Penn pic : >grinning smiley<
[www.artic.edu]

but still... thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-11 16:52 by dcba.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home