Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Five creations of the Stones which I think are truly overrated
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 21, 2005 06:51

(1) Hyde Park concert : Yes, a historical but musically weak concert, with some great exceptions of course (like JJF, SFTD, Love In Vain and a few more)

(2)“Love You Live” album : A lot of bad moments! On HTW and JJF Mick simply ...doesn’t sing. He sings completaly out of tune on SFTD. The worst ever version of Tumbling Dice, completaly spineless. Nerveless YCAGWYW too. Some people love Ronnie’s solo on YCAGWYW, but it sounds a bit childish to me.

(3) Knebworth concert: Excuse me, but Keith plays much better nowadays. (Ronnie saved the whole thing at Knebworth...)

(4) Miss You : OK, a big hit yes, a great song no.

(5) 1978 tour : unstable...

Opinions and thoughts?

Re: Five creations of the Stones which I think are truly overrated
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: October 21, 2005 07:46

Disagree on Miss You, especially the lyrics. They sound so simple but are really honest and one of their first songs, if not the first, to show some human vulnerability.

Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: October 21, 2005 11:53

inopeng Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disagree on Miss You, especially the lyrics. They
> sound so simple but are really honest and one of
> their first songs, if not the first, to show some
> human vulnerability.

HUH? Play With Fire? Lady Jane? Mothers Little Helper? Wild Horses? Salt of the Earth? No Expectations? Torn and Frayed? Out of Time? Memory Motel? Shine a Light? Sister Morphine? Till the NExt Goodbye....???

Heaps of them prior to Miss You have or are about human vulnerability...

Rod
Perth
Australia

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 21, 2005 12:03

stickydion Wrote:
> >
> (1) Hyde Park concert : Yes, a historical but
> musically weak concert, with some great exceptions
> of course (like JJF, SFTD, Love In Vain and a few
> more)

Yes, it's bad really bad and a weak tribute to Brian although honest.

> (2)“Love You Live” album : A lot of bad moments!
> On HTW and JJF Mick simply ...doesn’t sing. He
> sings completaly out of tune on SFTD. The worst
> ever version of Tumbling Dice, completaly
> spineless. Nerveless YCAGWYW too. Some people love
> Ronnie’s solo on YCAGWYW, but it sounds a bit
> childish to me.

Ronnies solo sucks but I think its a good rocking album. Listen to IORR or IFYCRM or the third side! Besides it's underrated, considered to be a bad album.

>
> (3) Knebworth concert: Excuse me, but Keith plays
> much better nowadays. (Ronnie saved the whole
> thing at Knebworth...)
>

Same here, noone says it's a good concert. But, Keith is so cool.

> (4) Miss You : OK, a big hit yes, a great song no.
>

Disagree, it's a good simple song but they shouldnt play it live. Overrated, yes, but not a bad song.
>
> (5) 1978 tour : unstable...
>

Agree! BUt it's rock and it's real.

Date: October 21, 2005 12:09

Hyde Park: Some moments, but a weak concert.

Love You Live: El Mocambo alone does it worth having!

Knebworth: Sloppy.

Miss You: Great song - the ultimate single from the stones' biggest selling album.

1978-tour: Unstable: Yes, but some of the shows are among the stones' finest to date.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 21, 2005 14:37

Interesting what you say about Ron's solo. Many see it as one of his best moments. There is a lot of that fl;utterpicking though. Which is a lot of fluff basically. But the ending section redeems it.
LYL has some ups and downs. Side 2 is just weak. Agree on HTW; it was the alltime worst opener. But Happy, Hot Stuff and @#$%& rock. And Side 3 and soem of 4 is excellent.
Knebworth was indeed saved by Ronnie.
Hyde Park, I think all agree was prettha wful. Out of tune and lame.

Disagree on Miss You which is one of the best songs ever by the Stones. And re. the 78 tour - were you there? I most often see that tour dissed by people who didn't see it.

Date: October 21, 2005 15:59

Everything stated is at least 27 years old.

Had they broken up following the 1978 tour, this could be a relevant topic.

Do you not give them credit for anything post-1978???????

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 21, 2005 16:17

Disagree with most of what was stated. Hyde Park, yes musically it was shakey at times but it was like the rebirth of the band. Love YouLive is sloppy at times but its one of my favorite albums Side three speaks for itself but the first two sides have some great R&R. IYCRM/Cloud, You Gotta Move, @#$%&, Fingerprint File, Hot Stuff... all great. Knebworth was an amazing show, my brother was there and talks about it to this day. the 78 tour was great and I talk about it till this day, there were a few bad nights but that is true of every tour.

Date: October 21, 2005 16:18

stickydion Wrote:
> more)

Agree.

> childish to me.

Don't really agree. I don't care if he sings or not, but both "Honky tonk women" (love the long intro) and "Jumpin' jack flash" (love the screams) really rock. Of course there are better versions of some songs since there are bootlegs of so many concerts. But so what. I heard they listened to hundreds of hours of tape. At some point you heard enough and just pick one version. However I always thought side 1 is the weakest, and also "Brown sugar" is crap. But the rest is medium to superb.

> thing at Knebworth...)

I just had a look at the concert recently. Maybe Keith wasn't really always "there". But it's a great setlist and I think the longest Stones concert ever: almost the complete 1975/76 setlist plus "Satisfaction", "Around and around" (rocks!), "Little red rooster", "Stray cat blues", "Let’s spend the night together" (already sounding like the 1981/82 version), "Dead flowers", "Route 66", plus a bit of "Country honk" - what more can anyone want?

Agree. Most overrated Stones song ever, Massively overplayed. Maybe I would like it if they would play it as often as "Moonlight mile" or "Sway". It's the ultimate skip song of the Stones. It's the song that I like least compared to how often they played it and how often they released it. And then there's even that crappy dance version. Bleuurgh.

Disagree. 1978 was great, the Stones on punk, Mick acting like a madman (I love his jumpin' jack dance, have you seen it?), Stones to the core (just the 5 of them plus piano), a tour full of rock'n'roll (Let it rock, Sweet little sixteen, Hound dog...), one of the few tours where they actually played most songs of the actual album. Great moments: "Street fighting man" in Passaic, "Hound dog" and "Shattered" in Memphis, more

Posted by: michel ()
Date: October 21, 2005 19:30

stickydion Wrote:
> >
> more)
>
> childish to me.
>
> thing at Knebworth...)
>
>
>
>
>
> Opinions and thoughts?

I dissegree,1. Hyde park, very bluesy sound, magic noise I like it,
2.Love you life, cool album, big sounds el mocombo, jagger is more rapping on some songs Its a live album doesnt matter if its diffrent as the studio versions,
it rocksss. 3.knebworth great long gig jagger is so funny there, en also in a good mood, gives a good performance. they play a bit rusty,but it has so many nice moments, wild horses, little red rooster,go on and on.
4. miss you, listen carefully to the studio version, wauw verrrrryyyyyy good. good song
5. 1978 tour, a highlight punky rocking stones just released some girls,good period for the stones!!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 22, 2005 06:50

To be honest, my opinion about Miss You had been affected by the battle "Rock Vs Disco". I was 17 in 1978 and very angry with this song! I'm not angry anymore of course, but a bit of the "battle spirit" remains in my soul...

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: October 22, 2005 11:41

Love You Live is a great live album. It's the best sounding live album the Stones ever released. It sounds a little better than Get Yer Ya'Ya's Out, not musically of course, but Love You Live is very warm, close, great mix with high, middle and low tones/frequencies.

Still Life is the last great sounding live album. After that it all sounds flat, too high (pain in the ears) etc, etc. Flashpoint, great album, but bad sound, No Security is better, but still a little flat (maybe cause it's recorded in stadiums). Four Flicks is again sometimes a little flat/thin, so is Live Licks (all though the arena recordings are sounding better, disc 2). But those are better than Flashpoint.

The Paris show from Four Flicks/Live Licks should sound much better considering the small club. But unfortunately these recordings sound thin and flat. Compare Neighbours for instance to any song on Disc 1 of Love You Live. The guitars just don't sound great. They should sound more powerfull, more warm etc. That's what lacking on modern Live Albums by the Stones: the sound is really bad!!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: October 22, 2005 11:49

They were rocking in the 70s and I love Micks shouting and singing becuase he expresses something and seems spontanous. He rocks. And they all rock. No good old Stones, just the Stones being the dys(?)functional family they once were.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 22, 2005 11:55

Hyde Park was Taylor's first concert with the band, and they were obviously underrehearsed and sometimes out of tune, especially the guitars. But it's all in the spirit, baby! Very bluesy, indeed. I love this show because, unlike today, it wasn't a show, it was a concert. A very adventurous concert, look at the setlist!

Knebworth - I was there. Being there, it sounded much better than on the available recordings. And, again, the setlist was very adventurous - Around And Around, Route 66, Rooster, Let's Spend The Night Together, Dead Flowers, Stray Cat Blues ... so very different from the usual 1976 setlists... mistakes here and there, but pure magic.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 22, 2005 14:44

stickydion Wrote:
> >
> more)

Do not agree. OK guitars were not always perfectly tuned, the band was not always exactly loose, there were some major f...ups, jagger was tense, BUT a great set list, one of the best ever versions of Rambler (also its live premiere) ...

The only thing I don't like of LYL is that it is worse than the corresponding boot. And I love MJ punk singing. I don't care if I can't understand what he says. I can't understand a word of what he sings on Exile either!

>
> thing at Knebworth...)

Don't know. Was not there and don't have the boot

>

Great groove, bass line, guitars, probably one of the top 10 MJ singing performances ever.

>

I was not there. Some truly great boots, though. I read they had lots of bad nights. Could be. But when they were on, then what I hear is the best ever Stones live!!

C

>

Posted by: cc ()
Date: October 23, 2005 06:46

retired_dog Wrote:
> Knebworth - I was there. Being there, it sounded
> much better than on the available recordings. And,
> again, the setlist was very adventurous - Around
> And Around, Route 66, Rooster, Let's Spend The
> Night Together, Dead Flowers, Stray Cat Blues ...

Hardly adventurous -- 3 of those songs are rock standards they had all been playing for over 10 years. Dead Flowers and Stray Cat Blues had been played on recent tours. LSTNT is pretty adventurous.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 23, 2005 22:18

stickydion Wrote:
> To be honest, my opinion about Miss You had been
> affected by the battle "Rock Vs Disco". I was 17
> in 1978 and very angry with this song! I'm not
> angry anymore of course, but a bit of the "battle
> spirit" remains in my soul...

I'm with you on that one, Stickydion. We're the same age and I still have a problem with disco. I was glad to see it off the setlists last time around. If it's played in Houston, I think I'll use that time for the toilet. Can't blame them for playing it since it was such a big hit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2128
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home