Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Parachute Woman - Ever released officially Live?
Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 24, 2020 01:16

Well I'm not that familiar with Ronnie to know such things, he sure never told me!

Seeing that there is a rather long part between the rhythm part, and the solo part, he easily could have switched guitars in the interval.

Anyway, I'm not that trained to hear different guitar tunings on cds that easily, probably because I hate playing with different tunings myself, plus the fact that I'm generally not much impressed with Ronnies contributions to the band anyway, so it's not like I'm going to listen to his parts over and over again to find out what tuning he is playing in. What escapes logic in regards to this particular song is, if Ronnie didn't or couldn't play it and his parts had to be fixed, why didn't they use the 4Fs version instead? As the rest of Live Licks IS, basically, 4Fs (minus one other song). Or are you suggesting his (filmed) parts on there aren't really him playing either? In that case, I will check that version also (not that I particularly want to).
But perhaps you're right, it just doesn't strike me as it being so obvious a fact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-24 01:20 by SomeGuy.

Date: January 24, 2020 08:26

<Seeing that there is a rather long part between the rhythm part, and the solo part, he easily could have switched guitars in the interval>

You really wanna do this? smiling smiley

Well, he didn't switch guitars, as we know from the videos Four Flicks etc from the Licks tour. On those videos he also plays with a way cleaner sound during the first half. More sloppy, and different-sounding chords.

Please note that the Stones's guitar techs were credited with "additional recording" on their next dvd: The Biggest Bang smoking smiley

Date: January 24, 2020 09:07

Ronnies parts were overdubbed for the live record then. It happens all the time with live albums. I do think that the live dvds aren't totally reliable either. But I'm not so certain that there is another band playing behind the scenes (that's a whole nuther thread btw), it's just too easy to fix things in the studio afterwards, as was the case with every previous Stones live album. So it's not really an issue with me, so back to the subject: Parachute Woman! What a great song.

Date: January 24, 2020 09:57

SomeGuy
Ronnies parts were overdubbed for the live record then. It happens all the time with live albums. I do think that the live dvds aren't totally reliable either. But I'm not so certain that there is another band playing behind the scenes (that's a whole nuther thread btw), it's just too easy to fix things in the studio afterwards, as was the case with every previous Stones live album. So it's not really an issue with me, so back to the subject: Parachute Woman! What a great song.

But the Stones's involvement in overdub-sessions has been minimal to none since 1998. Even on No Security there is very little. And some claim that the acoustic guitar on Waiting On A Friend isn't Keith's. It's certainly not Mick who's playing. And he played it live smiling smiley ).

Ronnie said he played two notes to improve a lick on Shine A Light. That was all the band did for that album.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 24, 2020 17:36

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Gazza
There was an original projected track list leaked for 'Live Licks' which consisted of something like 33 songs crammed into a double-CD set, and that included 'Parachute woman' from the Boston Orpheum show. With that number of songs, a lot of the tracks would obviously have been edited to fit onto two discs.

Eventually they released a 23-song 2-CD set clocking in at 109 minutes, and the song was one of the tracks that didnt make the final cut.

Presumably they didnt change any of the edits either, as they left in that atrocity of an edit on 'Rocks off'. Baffling decision as they either could have either added several more songs or restored the ones they chose to put out to their original length.

Clearly none of the band members listened to this album before they sanctioned its release a full year after 'Four Flicks' came out. Contract filler.

Isn't it a bit strange that "contract filler" would have so much work done to it? 33 songs cut down for 2 discs, then 23 songs, when 12 would've sufficed.

The "work" was mainly done for the Four Flicks-release, wasn't it? Live Licks was superflous in a way, after that release. However, someone worked on the live album. The two open G-guitars on the first half of CYHMK (one of 2? songs on Live Licks that weren't taken from Four Flicks) is a proof of that, hehe. I wonder who played the guitar in the left channel? Certainly not Keith, Ronnie or Mick...

The Paris recording on Licks is a miracle anyway, as Wood was completely out of it for most of the show, with Jagger telling Pierre to turn his amp off/lower. The nice thing was that Keith really stepped in for Wood, and gave an absolute fantastic show. Still the best show I have ever seen of the Stones.

Mathijs

Date: January 24, 2020 18:59

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

But the Stones's involvement in overdub-sessions has been minimal to none since 1998. Even on No Security there is very little. And some claim that the acoustic guitar on Waiting On A Friend isn't Keith's. It's certainly not Mick who's playing. And he played it live smiling smiley ).

Ronnie said he played two notes to improve a lick on Shine A Light. That was all the band did for that album.

So what is your explanation then?

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: January 24, 2020 19:43

Lynd8
Does anyone think we'll have a shot at the 2002 Palais Gig getting released? I couldn't believe my ears when they played "Heart of Stone" and "Torn and Frayed"

No. Heart of Stone is very good but mot of the show isn't up to par. It's just a warm-up show.

The Aragon is a nice show with some rare tracks.

Date: January 24, 2020 23:07

SomeGuy
DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy

So what is your explanation then?

Pierre or Dave added the guitar track, like on the next live release.

Date: January 24, 2020 23:14

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-25 00:43 by SomeGuy.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home