Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Zipmouth Angel
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: January 19, 2020 22:45

Always loved this song.Iwonder why the Stones didn’t finish it for a Bigger Bang.Its like Criss Cross Mind,which should have been on Goats Head Soup or replaced say Short and curlies on IORR.Can anyone tell me if Keith plays all the guitars on Criss or is that Jagger and Tayloralso?

Re: Zipmouth Angel
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 19, 2020 23:05

Zip Mouth Angel is a Voodoo Lounge outtake.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 19, 2020 23:15

Deltics
YesI know it’s a Voodoo Lounge outtake.I was wondering why it wasn’t finished for Voodoo or a BiggerBang

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 19, 2020 23:29

Just because we have 10 discs of outtakes from VOODOO LOUNGE doesn't mean we have everything - we don't as a matter of fact. "My Angel Was Gone" could exist in a finished form. Why didn't they pursue it? When Mick, Keith, and Don Was discussed what songs to concentrate on for the album, they went with other selections. It's as simple as that.

Why isn't it on BRIDGES TO BABYLON or A BIGGER BANG (or FORTY LICKS or GRRR, for that matter)? Biggest reason is Mick chooses not to look back and pick up strands as Keith likes to do. Mick prefers to start fresh with new material each time. He has said so multiple times in interviews. The same fate for the 1999 proposed album of outtakes, the same fate for why the 2002 sessions were never finished for an album or used for A BIGGER BANG (apart from a thread of "Laugh, I Nearly Died" being found in "Cried Out"). It's also part of the factor of why the new album has had such a long gestation.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: January 20, 2020 00:49

There are probably 10x the number of songs/song ideas they never finish than what comes out on the finished albums they make. Only the strongest tracks are completed in the end. What's been said over and over again was that when the CD era started, they felt they could put more finished tracks on albums, which called for more filler. That's why this time around, they don't want those extra tracks they have recorded finished for the new album. Of the 30 or so basic tracks done, they want the 10 best ones to put out. Zip Mouth Angel was an idea that they never finished and it was abandoned.

In a way, I respect Micks opinion of not wanting to use older tracks. As a songwriter, you want to flesh out new ideas rather than going back to old ones you didn't like at the time. The songs on EXILE that were recorded during STICKY FINGERS were mostly done but they didn't have any room on STICKY FINGERS so they used them later. That's different.

Date: January 20, 2020 02:26

It's one of my favorite guitar sounds.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 20, 2020 02:53

Taylor1
Deltics
YesI know it’s a Voodoo Lounge outtake.I was wondering why it wasn’t finished for Voodoo or a BiggerBang

because they had enough new songs for that album and werent so desperate that they had to dig out a ten year old unfinished track?

Date: January 20, 2020 04:49

Gazza
Taylor1
Deltics

because they had enough new songs for that album and werent so desperate that they had to dig out a ten year old unfinished track?
. Well,maybe they should have since it’s better than most of the songs on a Bigger Bang

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 20, 2020 16:12

“Criss Cross” sounds like Richards and Taylor on guitars and Preston on clavinet.

Date: January 20, 2020 21:27

TravelinMan
“Criss Cross” sounds like Richards and Taylor on guitars and Preston on clavinet.
Who plays the wah wah pedal ?Is that Taylor or Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 21:29 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 20, 2020 21:30

Taylor1
Gazza
Taylor1
Deltics

. Well,maybe they should have since it’s better than most of the songs on a Bigger Bang

Hardly, as its clearly unfinished. Having a bit of potential doesnt mean they're going to be inspired enough to make a good finished record out of it.

For all their albums post-Tattoo You, they've chosen to rely on newly written songs (apart from the occasional unfinished leftover from a solo record - eg 'Almost hear you sigh'). I guess with the long gap between albums, theres been enough new material to choose from and theres been no need to barrel scrape by unearthing songs theyd long forgotten about.

I guess thats one for an 'archive' release if they ever get around to doing a proper one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-20 21:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: January 20, 2020 21:49

Taylor1
TravelinMan
Who plays the wah wah pedal ?Is that Taylor or Keith

I’ll have to re-listen, but I think Billy Preston has a wah on his clavinet.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 21, 2020 01:40

I can see why Jagger would want to "start fresh" but honestly that hasn't done them much good over the years in terms of coming up with memorable material. Surely ZMA could have been reworked in something more interesting than the hideous She Saw Me Coming (at best a comedy/novelty song). If anything the stellar "Tattoo You" should have encouraged them to go back to that sort of approach. It served Keith pretty well for XEyed too. Like Keith says "being productive don't mean sh*t"...if you produce stuff that no one will bother listening to after a few weeks.
Having said that I'm still amazed that they can come up with "original" material after being at it for so long, even if it's "unmemorable". I suppose it's some sort of "formula" to some extent.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-23 18:13 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 21, 2020 01:56

I really like this outtake also - I just recently played a bunch of stuff from Voodoo Brew and Stew and wow - what an awesome set of alternate takes and outtakes that set was! I hope we get more of that stuff now that we are entering to 50 year mark of recordings they don't have to deal with Abkco to release.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 23, 2020 18:15

Unlikely...as there's just too little interest outside of us poor schmucks. Of course there will be even less interest in 15 years time !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2020 05:29

Rocky Dijon
Just because we have 10 discs of outtakes from VOODOO LOUNGE doesn't mean we have everything - we don't as a matter of fact. "My Angel Was Gone" could exist in a finished form. Why didn't they pursue it? When Mick, Keith, and Don Was discussed what songs to concentrate on for the album, they went with other selections. It's as simple as that.

Why isn't it on BRIDGES TO BABYLON or A BIGGER BANG (or FORTY LICKS or GRRR, for that matter)? Biggest reason is Mick chooses not to look back and pick up strands as Keith likes to do. Mick prefers to start fresh with new material each time. He has said so multiple times in interviews. The same fate for the 1999 proposed album of outtakes, the same fate for why the 2002 sessions were never finished for an album or used for A BIGGER BANG (apart from a thread of "Laugh, I Nearly Died" being found in "Cried Out"). It's also part of the factor of why the new album has had such a long gestation.

Mick is a farce when it comes to that bullshit - look at how many Stones albums featured previously written/recorded songs - from BEGGARS through UNDERCOVER there was always something laying around, whether they finished it or not, and for the most part, out of 30-40 some songs recorded for whatever LP they usually used something on whatever album that was a leftover!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2020 05:32

Taylor1
Always loved this song.Iwonder why the Stones didn’t finish it for a Bigger Bang.Its like Criss Cross Mind,which should have been on Goats Head Soup or replaced say Short and curlies on IORR.Can anyone tell me if Keith plays all the guitars on Criss or is that Jagger and Tayloralso?

Zip Mouth Angel is weak at best and sounds nothing like Criss Cross Mind.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: January 24, 2020 15:46

intro reminds me on Elvis - i just can't help believing …

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 24, 2020 20:24

thomashanck
intro reminds me on Elvis - i just can't help believing …

[www.youtube.com]
I think Yer Blues sounds like Hearbreak Hotel.Lennon and McCartney often used parts of other songs,like Please Please Me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home