Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Back-up band (behind the stage) for the Stones
Date: December 24, 2019 16:28

john lomax
At the London O2 shows in 2012 I was seriously thinking that there was another guitarist playing Keith’s parts (particularly the big B strums just after Mick sings Gas Gas Gas). On subsequent shows it became obvious that it was actually the sound mixer boosting the volume of Keith’s guitar in those bits but at the O2 shows it did sometimes look as though the sound was coming from somewhere else (is the sound didn’t match up to what I could see Keith playing). Maybe the Scarf was involved somehow....

Did you watch Keith or the screen? Sometimes there is a delay.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: December 24, 2019 18:18

DandelionPowderman
john lomax
At the London O2 shows in 2012 I was seriously thinking that there was another guitarist playing Keith’s parts (particularly the big B strums just after Mick sings Gas Gas Gas). On subsequent shows it became obvious that it was actually the sound mixer boosting the volume of Keith’s guitar in those bits but at the O2 shows it did sometimes look as though the sound was coming from somewhere else (is the sound didn’t match up to what I could see Keith playing). Maybe the Scarf was involved somehow....

Did you watch Keith or the screen? Sometimes there is a delay.

Good question! I can't remember! I was on the floor so I think I was watching Keith but could have been both.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: December 24, 2019 18:26

The Ramones were actually playing on the songs behind the stage. Okay, can we go now?

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 25, 2019 04:12

The Sicilian
Didn't The Who use Simon Townshend off the stage for years to add fill in sound?

No. When Simon played with The Who (1996-97, 2002-present), he was onstage.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 25, 2019 05:13

One of the funnier “bands behind the stage” was the percussionist behind Mick Fleetwood in 2009 or so... FM have used a percussionist since at least ‘97, and have never been secretive about it (he’s shown a few times in the Boston 2004 film), but for some reason when he wasn’t playing percussion but actually backing Fleetwood on a more or less full kit, he disappears behind the drummer.

Unfortunately, arena audiences are up high enough to see what’s going on back there, and called them out on it pdq. The percussionist is in plain sight with all his gear these days.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: December 25, 2019 19:11

bv
I have seen The Rolling Stones at club shows and at rehearsals. There are no curtains or backstage musicians there. They sound just as amazing there as on stage with larger stadiums.

The fact that they want focus on the core band for the first couple of songs at show start does not change the fact that The Rolling Stones is the band in the rock industry with almost no playback. Sure there is a playback of congas at the intro of Sympathy, but that is nothing as compared to bands like U2.

Thanks Bjornulf. This is the comment I needed after starting this thread.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 25, 2019 21:31

I’ve sat behind the stage and on the side of the stage for many stones concerts
Of course there’s no back stage band
What you see is Pierre tuning guitars, or other backstage personnel preparing guitars, jackets etc
Guest musicians waiting for their entrance guitar in hand

Here’s some footage , including backstage, that I shot during the Stones at the Prudential Center in Newark NJ December 13th, 2012
Excuse the over modulation of the sound, but you can see backstage during Satisfaction and then the stones leaving the arena at the end . It’s just them.

[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-25 21:35 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 26, 2019 07:35

I think u are all bored, inventing non issues to talk about until the tour is announced. Go back to sleep or do something else to fill in the space. BV should delete this thread.

plexi

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 26, 2019 17:36

georgie48
The Sicilian
Didn't The Who use Simon Townshend off the stage for years to add fill in sound?

Both on and off stage, but not in the 1971/1972 period. He was too young (born in 1960). The stages used by The Who (Liverpool, Amsterdam) in that period were very simple ... no curtains. Occasionally a guy appeared on stage modestly doing something to equipment at the background. But Baba O'Riley for instance was played with the exact sound as on the album (and no keyboard or synthesizer person present).

The synth parts on Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again and an added acoustic guitar part on WGFA are pre-recorded by Pete Townshend. They're the same as were used on Who's Next. Ditto for extra instruments on some of the Quadrophenia tracks in 1973.

Re: I couldn't stop laughing..
Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 26, 2019 18:02

More Hot Rocks
nick
TheGreek
windmelody

Was he playing behind the curtains? He played a lot during the ABB Tour when Keith Richards was semi-conscious, he stood in the backround, but I would not call it behind the curtains.
OFFENSIVE to state Keith was semi conscious

Semi conscious was exactly what Keith himself said in describing what the anti seizure medication was making him feel like.

Its just an expression. Too many people take things to literally.

I just wish "too many people" would stop taking a couple of things Keith said in "Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll" so literally (or assume because he said it that made it fact). It led to a friendship of over nearly 40 years at that time being tested. Thank goodness the two of them cast the FOOLISHNESS aside. I was a pall bearer at both their funerals and knew them better than Keith ever did.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 27, 2019 00:26

ab
georgie48
The Sicilian

Both on and off stage, but not in the 1971/1972 period. He was too young (born in 1960). The stages used by The Who (Liverpool, Amsterdam) in that period were very simple ... no curtains. Occasionally a guy appeared on stage modestly doing something to equipment at the background. But Baba O'Riley for instance was played with the exact sound as on the album (and no keyboard or synthesizer person present).

The synth parts on Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again and an added acoustic guitar part on WGFA are pre-recorded by Pete Townshend. They're the same as were used on Who's Next. Ditto for extra instruments on some of the Quadrophenia tracks in 1973.

To my knowledge, the BO'R and WGFA parts are from the studio recording, nothing else.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 27, 2019 08:31

Ohhh boy. No -The Rolling Stones don’t have people playing for them behind the stage.there is sometimes a delay between what you hear and what you see.
I had side-stage seats in Vegas once and could see Pierre tuning one of Keiths guitars backstage.
He was hitting chords and playing a bit, it looked like he was really concentrating on getting it perfect as you can imagine.
I couldn’t help but wonder if there were actually people clueless enough to think he was playing with the band.
As some mentioned earlier,if there is a band hiding backstage we need to fire them because I’ve heard some wrong lyrics,bum notes and chord changes that belonged in completely different songs.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 27, 2019 10:32

Rocky Dijon
If the Stones use a back-up band behind the stage, those clowns should be fired for the mistakes they regularly make.

grinning smiley

Fired ? No . It would take a real talent to copy that...a bit like Les Dawson on the piano .

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 27, 2019 16:10

the back up band behind the stage get a copy of the sheet music they have to perform, it details very accurately exactly when the mistakes will happen and who will make them.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: December 27, 2019 17:16

When I was listening to the rehearsals in London for the tour in 2018 they did a number of takes of the song "Cry To Me". It is such a great song, and the highlight was the guitar playing. Sure there was no "behind the curtains" musicians at the rehearsals, and it is not hard to hear who is playing and what. They do not need any additional musicians to sond like themselves!

Bjornulf

Date: December 27, 2019 17:23

To be serious for 1 minute...

...I don't think a lot of people realise just how difficult it is to play Rock N Roll in as spontaneous a way as the Stones still manage to do on stages of that size in huge arenas and Stadiums.

Could they play with fewer mistakes and "train wrecks" ...of course they could...if they decided to make it all mechanical and phoned in .

But they don't . With necessary concessions to the size of the production they still play how they feel it ...and the moments of magic still hugely outnumber the cock ups and bloopers.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 28, 2019 03:42

The sound checks I’ve heard with just Keith Ron Mick Darryl and Charlie sometimes sound better than the shows

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 28, 2019 04:55

Taylor1
The sound checks I’ve heard with just Keith Ron Mick Darryl and Charlie sometimes sound better than the shows

The first concert I ever attended was David Bowie back in 1976 in Buffalo. We would sneak in and go to the top of the arena and hide in the ceilings. I remember going up there with a friend at about 4:00 in the afternoon and hanging out waiting for the show when Bowie came out for a brief sound check. It was a total thrill hearing that pumped up volume of sound.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: December 28, 2019 20:36

KET, try not to get your panties in a knot over my asking a QUESTION? I asked if anyone knew of " other musicians" in addition to Blondie, who may have been used to enhance the sound! It certainly is well within the realm of possibility if they used Blondie ( and we KNOW they did!), could they have used any other musicians? I'm not detracting in any way from the awesome sound put forth by the Rolling Stones! I'm a " fan" who has seen them 40 times so I don't think you could call me a casual follower. I like details!

Date: December 28, 2019 22:23

<other musicians in addition to Blondie, who may have been used to enhance the sound>

Chuck Leavell, Tim Ries, Matt Clifford, Darryl Jones, Blondie Chaplin, Kent Smith, Michael Davis, Bernard Fowler, Lisa Fischer.

That's it, between 1994-2007 (they had a bigger horn section in 1989/90). Blondie, Lisa, Kent and Michael are out. Sascha is in. There are no other people filling in. No mysterious characters underneath the stage or behind the curtain.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 29, 2019 00:32

GasLightStreet
ab
georgie48
The Sicilian

To my knowledge, the BO'R and WGFA parts are from the studio recording, nothing else.

Yes, that's why Keith would wear headphones during those songs, to make sure he was keeping time with the pre-recorded sections. Van Halen did the same with Right Now with Alex having to wear headphones to keep the same timing. VH even mentioned The Who using prerecorded music during concerts as a kind of justification for them using it, too.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: December 30, 2019 03:44

DGA35
Yes, that's why Keith would wear headphones during those songs, to make sure he was keeping time with the pre-recorded sections. Van Halen did the same with Right Now with Alex having to wear headphones to keep the same timing. VH even mentioned The Who using prerecorded music during concerts as a kind of justification for them using it, too.

Funny fact about Keith’s use of headphones in WGFA - he used a version of the backing track with himself counting him in in various places (intro, drum solo, etc.). Zak still uses it to this day.

Date: December 31, 2019 10:33

I remember Keith Moon storming off stage in a huff in 1974 because his headphone feed wasn't working.

You hadn't attended a good Who gig in those days unless you'd seen one of their onstage rows grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 31, 2019 15:19

DandelionPowderman

Chuck Leavell, Tim Ries, Matt Clifford, Darryl Jones, Blondie Chaplin, Kent Smith, Michael Davis, Bernard Fowler, Lisa Fischer.

That's it, between 1994-2007 (they had a bigger horn section in 1989/90). Blondie, Lisa, Kent and Michael are out. Sascha is in. There are no other people filling in. No mysterious characters underneath the stage or behind the curtain.

Bard callously photoshops Andy Snitzer, Cindy Mizelle, Sophia Jones, and Lorelei McBroom out of the band photo and refuses to acknowledge The Uptown Horns by name. I can't decide if this is a Mick move or an Andrew Oldham one.

Still, it's nice to make one of the nicest guys on the board out to be a villain. I must remember to keep this charade up.

Happy New Year!

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 31, 2019 16:27

The Rolling Stones don't minivanilli their live performances. The idea of hidden musicians playing under me stage is very spinal tap and very funny/ intriguing and suddenly becomes a subject of debate. Great R&R fantasy.
Why did Matt stop playing a real cowbell on HTW?smiling smiley
Happy New Year.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: December 31, 2019 20:03

Rocky Dijon
If the Stones use a back-up band behind the stage, those clowns should be fired for the mistakes they regularly make.
"Now that is damn funny!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 1, 2020 07:45

Its obvious they used musicians backstage even back in the day. Check it at 3:22

jb

Date: January 1, 2020 13:51

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman

Bard callously photoshops Andy Snitzer, Cindy Mizelle, Sophia Jones, and Lorelei McBroom out of the band photo and refuses to acknowledge The Uptown Horns by name. I can't decide if this is a Mick move or an Andrew Oldham one.

Still, it's nice to make one of the nicest guys on the board out to be a villain. I must remember to keep this charade up.

Happy New Year!

I forgot Andy! Too many people to mention on SW/UJ. Happy new year! smileys with beer

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 1, 2020 14:14

way to forget Bobby Keys in the first place

Date: January 1, 2020 14:46

Nikkei
way to forget Bobby Keys in the first place

He's a stone smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home