Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rod Stewart
Posted by: sunnybandyo99 ()
Date: October 19, 2005 09:28

He was a great singer in past.After when we were the new boys none of his albums are good.Do you agree?

Re: Rod Stewart
Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: October 19, 2005 11:35

Unfortunately, When We Were the New Boys was below par already. Human lacks his writing as well as it lacks rock, but for those who like to discover a "contemporary" sound with guidance from a familiar voice, it's OK, though it's somewhere in midfield when you regard all his albums.
And please no more American Songbooks, Mr Stewart. Thanks.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: October 19, 2005 13:27

rods ok....but his always been a poor mans mick jagger.....what mick does on a monday, rod does on tuesday

Date: October 19, 2005 14:04

But in 70s and 80s as well as on early 90s he was great.But what caused hgis sudden downfall.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 19, 2005 14:52

Needs to write some stuff and give up the American singbook.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: October 19, 2005 16:06

What about the Rod Stewart and the Ron Wood forth-coming cd? "You strum,I'll Sing". I think that was the title at one time.I love the Faces, saw them a few times back in the '70s. Rod Stewart has been some what of a disappointment to me since '75 (has it been that long?).I would love to see him and Woody do something together.

Posted by: rocksaurus ()
Date: October 19, 2005 16:08

Maybe, unlike the Stones, he just can't write anything new. Alot easier to just sing someone elses really old standard and please all the grandmoms.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: October 19, 2005 16:20

I see Rod standing besides a piano ( by a blonde) singing songs from his songbook (I know most of you don't like it) while zipping the cocktail or champagne in either St. Moritz or Aspen besides the ski hill.
Once the ski bar is empty on the hill he will have a midnight show at either the Palace in St. Moritz or the Nell in Aspen.
Do you need more. That's more than we expect.
He gets paid by the glass and remembers the time when he was hot....
That's Rod style to me..

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 19, 2005 16:24

kienan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would love to see him and Woody do something together.

Ronnie has played live with Rod on a few occasions last year (Hollywood Bowl, MSG, Radio City Music Hall, etc).
As far as the "You'll Strum, I'll Sing" album project goes, that has been on and off for the last decade.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 19, 2005 17:15

i think ol Rod had bumped his head somewhere along the way

Date: October 19, 2005 17:21

The last time he composed songs by himself were on When we were the new boys?I just THE ROLLING STONES are so impetous even at thios age,why can't Rody?

Date: October 19, 2005 17:23

sunnybandyo99 Wrote:
> The last time he composed songs by himself were on
> When we were the new boys?I just THE ROLLING
> STONES are so impetous even at thios age,why
> can't Rody?

he lost his marbles....$$$$ rules

Date: October 19, 2005 17:24

expalin

Date: October 19, 2005 17:26

sunnybandyo99 Wrote:
> expalin

he became a "smooth" singer for fat housewives so he could make more money

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: October 19, 2005 17:37

I agree with all the above, but as a huge fan of Rod's I must come to his defense. Yes, he no longer writes songs and yes the Song Book series is tired. However, I saw him on the last tour maybe my 15th time and I must say he still is the only other performer that can send an audience into a frenzy similar to the stones. Unfortunately, this only happens on a few songs ie, Stay with Me, Maggie, Hot legs. I too am still waiting to hear the music he and Ronnie wrote a couple of years ago. I recently read an article where he said that though this will probably not be the end of the Songbook that he does intend on doing a Rock album next - I am keeping my fingers crossed. If not with Ronnie at least with the band he had after faces broke up on Footloose and fancy free. One of my all time favorites - still think I was only joking is a great song. Also think Killing of Georgie is underated and never understood why Sailing didn't catch on in USA.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 19, 2005 17:44

With Ronnie Wood and Ronnie Lane behind him 1968-75, and writing or co-writing much of his material, Rod put out some fantastic music. Last year's Faces' box proves that, and if you search-out his first four solo albums (available in a box also BTW), there is lots more excellent tuneage. I think his move solo, and the loss of Ronnie 1 to the Stones, left him without songwriting and song-playing support. In addition, I think his huge success as a balladeer and a dandy, went to his head. He pointed his efforts more towards the charts and the mass audience, and enlisted a lot of L.A.-type producers and pop songwriters. He's never recovered.

For my money however, his early 70s performances rival Jagger for the top rock vocalist of the period.

Karl

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: October 19, 2005 18:43

KSIE! I agree with your post. His first four solo albums are classics. They should be on anyone's Top Albums List of all times."Never A Dull Moment" is one of my favorite albums. I never get tired of hearing it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 19, 2005 20:37

ShatterednVA wrote:

I must say he still is the only other performer that can send an audience into a frenzy similar to the Stones.

He is still a great live act and one of the few still around I'm willing to pay for. Most of these new bands have a shelf life of two CD's at most. I saw him twice in 2004 and both shows were excellent. Slick, sure, but so are the Stones nowadays.

P. S. Where's Bob Seger?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 19, 2005 21:03

I once thought he was a tremendous singer/rocker, and he was. But he decided at some point to become a crooner and sing muzak. There is a TV ad in Seattle for a radio station that plays "soft rock", "safe for the whole family". The woman in the ad, a 40-something blonde, talks about how she can listen to the station in her car with the kids. She says all her "soft rock" favorites can be heard on the station, like Billy Joel, Elton John, Celine Dion, and Rod Stewart. Unfortunately, he has placed himself in the position of being mentioned in the same breath with Celine Dion. That is what he has chosen to become, and he seems to enjoy that life, but I prefer the Rod Stewart of old.

Date: October 19, 2005 21:11

After he recovered from throat cancer a few years ago, he has not been able to hit the high notes as he used to.

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: October 19, 2005 21:27

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> ShatterednVA wrote:
>
> I must say he still is the only other performer
> that can send an audience into a frenzy similar to
> the Stones.
>
> He is still a great live act and one of the few
> still around I'm willing to pay for. Most of these
> new bands have a shelf life of two CD's at most. I
> saw him twice in 2004 and both shows were
> excellent. Slick, sure, but so are the Stones
> nowadays.
>
> P. S. Where's Bob Seger?

You hit the nail on the head - Bob Seger ruled!!! He was the first concert I totally related to - saw him in 75 at some day long jam at a race way in ohio and still remember how pumped he got me - we tried climbing those metal fences in the front of the stage and kept getting beaten down by the body guards - awesome fun LOL - I think I am gong to Katmando rock my socks off.......

Date: October 21, 2005 14:32

Couple of songs from When we were the new boys are great.The title song as well as ciggaretes and alcohol.The fact of Rody is that he lost that rocking vocal.A person from here said that it is due to throat cancer but I would like to know when did he had it

Date: October 21, 2005 14:35

In 2000 or 2001, I think.

Date: October 21, 2005 14:42

So Why is he singing?

Date: October 21, 2005 14:44

What do you mean? The tumor was quickly removed and he was completely cleared. He just had to re-work his singing voice.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 21, 2005 14:46

Those early albums are timeless. Some of the greatest ever. Every Picture, Gasoline Alley and Dull Moment I think was the one time he got away from the Jagger influence. he had craved out his own style. And his mates and band had so much to do with it. Ronnie's influenece must have been huge. He was the main instrumentalist. But also Quittenton, and Waller etc were positive influences. When he went LA he lost his British-ness, which was his strongest point.
IMO the worst thing for him was his new "band". That idiot Jim Cregan. All those guys like Cregan, Jimmy Rip and the guy who was in Pretenders and now with Mccartney. They are all superb guitarrists. they know all the right sounds; have the right vintage telecaster; pl;ay good slide and open G and all that jive. But they are all ultimately copycats.

Date: October 21, 2005 15:03

He is good looking

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: October 21, 2005 16:45

Thing that bothers me the most about Rod is the fact that he took a Million dollars, back when, from the "old" South Africa government to play in: Sun City

How anyone could have done that is beyond me... MLC

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: October 21, 2005 16:52

Are you guys done?? Please see RODTHEBOD.COM for your Rod Stewart musings- this is a rock n'roll forum guys and girls- The Stones Rule!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home