Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: OT: And The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020 Nominees Are ....
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 16, 2019 06:16

Rockman
probably helped by all da gallons of cranberry juices I gulped down .....

So that's why I lucked out!

Date: October 16, 2019 06:21

Gazza
What did Warren Zevon ever do to piss off Rolling Stone?

Maybe it's just...Bad Karma?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 16, 2019 07:01

Rocky Dijon
Gazza
What did Warren Zevon ever do to piss off Rolling Stone?

Maybe it's just...Bad Karma?

his "stuff" was "messed" up

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 16, 2019 07:25

NIN
Depeche Mode
Judas Priest
Todd Rundgren
T Rex

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 07:54

C'mon, Motorhead and Priest!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 08:17

I'd really like to know why the HoF only inducts "classic" members from CERTAIN musical acts.

For instance, only the classic Motorhead lineup (Lemmy, Fast Eddie, and Philthy Taylor) is eligible for induction, even though Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee held down the fort alongside Lemmy for 25 years and were responsible for creating some of their best and most consistent albums.

Same thing with Black Sabbath: only the original foursome was inducted even though Ronnie James Dio wrote and sang on some of their best albums.

On the other hand, when the E-Street Band was inducted, it seems like EVERYONE who was ever in Bruce's band got in and got a chance to speak...it took almost an hour for everyone to say their peace...but of course, since Bruce is well-loved by the Jan Wenner crowd, he gets that indulgence.

Now, of course I love Bruce...I'm not knocking him, but just using him as an example of how political, cliquey, and biased the HoF is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 08:31 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2019 09:04

Read an article earlier somewhere about the Motorhead induction snubbing Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee.
The writer concludes that the HOF has no real intention of inducting them anyways, and didn't look deep enough to give credit where credit is due.

Date: October 16, 2019 12:13

crholmstrom
NIN
Depeche Mode
Judas Priest
Todd Rundgren
T Rex

after thinking about it some more, change T Rex to Kraftwerk. not to say both aren't worthy.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 16, 2019 14:31

Rocky Dijon
Isn't it enough Tull has a Grammy for Best Heavy Metal performance?

I never thought that was quite as silly as it may appear. The award was actually for best Hard Rock or Heavy Metal performance. You can't deny that on some of the tracks on Benefit and Aqualung Martin Barre's riffing at least flirts with Hard Rock. The real head scratcher is that they received the award for 1987's Crest of a Knave lp, which barely qualifies as a Rock album at all.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 16, 2019 14:37

keefriff99

I'd really like to know why the HoF only inducts "classic" members from CERTAIN musical acts.

I thought it was up to the band to decide which members get in. I remember something about Bob Welch complaining that he wasn't inducted along with Fleetwood Mac because the band's more famous members didn't think he should be inducted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 14:38 by tatters.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 16, 2019 14:49

T.Rex should be top of the list

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 15:21

The Doobie Brothers

Date: October 16, 2019 15:26

tatters
keefriff99

I thought it was up to the band to decide which members get in. I remember something about Bob Welch complaining that he wasn't inducted along with Fleetwood Mac because the band's more famous members didn't think he should be inducted.

nope its usually up to the hall. the HOF said only the classic members of KISS are getting in. the grateful dead is a band that straight up told them everyone gets in or no one does and that included lyric writer Robert hunter who not an actual member of the band and vince welnick who never played on a studio release by the band.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: October 16, 2019 15:42

Captain Teague
Since when has Whitney Houston been 'Rock and Roll'?

Great singer in her own right but ...

Thank you. Awesome voice can’t be matched but rock and roll cut the crap. Also there are plenty of people in there that are not rock and rollers they should rename the place (Popular music Hall of fame). Not to mention many Rockers who actually do not belong in there.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2019 15:59

Scraping the bottom of the barrel .......... (although some of these acts deserve in, many currently in don't)

Date: October 16, 2019 16:00

IMO that is actually a better list than some others from last years.

No brainers IMO are

MC5
Kraftwerk
T.Rex
Rufus

Thin Lizzy
Todd Rundgren
Motorhead
Depeche Mode
Doobie Bros
Whitney Houston

are worthy. But since some deserve to go earlier I'd have to say that Depeche and Whitney, and Thin Lizzy would have to wait.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2019 17:27

black n blue
Doobies a no brained, where is J Geils band

Agree 100%

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 16, 2019 18:05

Thin Lizzy and T(yrannosaurus).Rex

They shouldn't even have had to go through the nomination process. Honorary membership should have awarded already!cool smiley

Date: October 16, 2019 19:24

no grand funk railroad still

Date: October 16, 2019 20:29

keefriffhard4life

the hall is weak on the flyover states. plenty of worthy stuff not in such as the above, Cheap Trick & THE REPLACEMENTS! & still no Warren Zevon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 22:46 by crholmstrom.

Date: October 16, 2019 20:31

keefriffhard4life
tatters
keefriff99

I thought it was up to the band to decide which members get in.

nope, it's usually up to the hall.

I don't think the Hall picked Ian Stewart to honor as a Rolling Stone. I imagine the Hall gives the band a list of inductees and the band accepts or not.

Dire Straits took the original line-up and added the two keyboard players who joined in 1981 and 1984, respectively but ignored everyone else who was ever a member (Hal Lindes, Terry Williams, Jack Sonni, Phil Palmer, Paul Franklin, etc.).

The Kinks stuck with the original line-up only and ignored John Dalton, John Gosling, Jim Rodford, Ian Gibbons, and Bob Henrit which was a horrible slap in the face to those five musicians who recorded and toured as full band members.

Blondie included everyone from the 1970s and 1980s lineups in the induction but would only let current members perform at the induction.

I'm sure there are other examples. Reasons are complex. Politics, rivalries, and the like all influence these decisions. I'd love to blame it all on the Hall, but I don't think it's that simple.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 20:35 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 17, 2019 00:36

crholmstrom
keefriffhard4life

the hall is weak on the flyover states. plenty of worthy stuff not in such as the above, Cheap Trick & THE REPLACEMENTS! & still no Warren Zevon!

Cheap Trick is in.

I can't believe Mott The Hoople was passed on AGAIN.

There are dozens of other acts more worthy than some of this year's nominees, including:

Billy Preston.

Nicky Hopkins (as a sideman. "Sympathy For The Devil" gets played every day on the radio for the last 50 years...and still no love for the guy?)

William Bell (Not a household name like Otis...but one of the STAX records greats, and even one of their lesser lights are 99.9% better than anything else out there)

The Flying Burrito Brothers (Hard to believe that hipster fave Gram Parsons not yet in)

Dionne Warwick (if you are including pop singers like Whitney Houston, let's at least get the sequence of greats right...)

Little Feat

Humble Pie (Marriott is already in, but this allows entry for Frampton)

The Guess Who (even if they don't like Burton Cummings, the hits were great and that also puts Randy Bachman in)

Rick James. (bitch) Nilsson. Rufus Thomas. The Jam. The Monkees. Delaney & Bonnie and Friends (gets Bobby Keys in at last.)

and Joe Tex. He was nominated a couple of times, never inducted. If some of his songs sound dated to politically correct feminist ears, they have to get over themselves and correct this injustice.

of this batch, I'd select:

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren

Soundgarden
T.Rex
Thin Lizzy

And as much as I like them, this whole push to put Kraftwerk in the RnR HoF is the worst idea ever. It's not just that they aren't Rockers, as much as their icy detachment represents the total opposite of rock n' roll, if not all human feeling in general.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 01:15 by loog droog.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:26

Jann Wenner is no longer president of the hall, and it may be less rock-oriented now because the new president is John Sykes, an executive from the US radio chain iHeartRadio. He says he wants to make the inductees and board members more diverse and reflective of popular tastes and younger people. An interview with John Sykes after his appointment:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:41

^^^^^^ Interesting...

However, rock and roll hasn't been "reflective of popular tastes" for at least 20 years now, and as for "younger people" rock and roll currently appeals mainly to middle-aged folks and older.

This discussion is a bit like arguing over the relevance of Big Band jazz musicians in 1975.

And after another 10 years, when most if not all the remaining 60s bands/artists have passed on, there will be nothing left to keep the reminder of Rock's glory days in the cultural radar, no more stadium-size concerts by single bands/artists...

"Such, such were the joys.
When we all girls & boys,
In our youth-time were seen,
On the Ecchoing Green."

William Blake, The Echoing Green

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 17, 2019 04:36

stone66

However, rock and roll hasn't been "reflective of popular tastes" for at least 20 years now, and as for "younger people" rock and roll currently appeals mainly to middle-aged folks and older.

I've been saying for a long time now that Rock is wasted on the young...

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: October 17, 2019 05:16

Anyone else think The Guess Who should be in? They had a pretty good run with a string of rock hits.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 17, 2019 06:55

Can’t believe that Phil Campbell & Mikkey Dee are not part of the Motörhead nomination. Those guys were in the band almost 25 years. And great guys and players.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 08:03

Rockman
…… I got one of them ….
I've handed it a few awards over the years …. HhhAAhhhhAAAA

You're an aWARD of The State perhaps, Rocky?

;-)

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2019 08:16

Hell Yeah …. !!!!!!!!! ….. I's a rockin' boy ……. rev counter goes up to 11 ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 17, 2019 10:55

ThePaleRider
Anyone else think The Guess Who should be in? They had a pretty good run with a string of rock hits.

Doesn’t fame mean they have to be famous?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1546
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home