Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: And The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020 Nominees Are ....
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:15

The Rock And Roll Hall of Lame ……..

We sure gotta few contenders …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:30

Rockman
The Rock And Roll Hall of Lame ……..

We sure gotta few contenders …..

What about the Starland Vocal Band ??????-

Afternoon Delight (1976)

Not even a vote? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:46

I'd like to nominate the group Silver Convention just because...

Silver Convention - Fly, Robin, Fly

Better them than the Dave Mathews Band!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 19, 2019 01:50

For the love of ..

How could we forget -

Mouth & MacNeal - How Do You Do

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:02

RollingFreak
SomeGuy
Palace Revolution 2000
Personally I like that the HOF includes all these different types of popular artists. To me rockn roll is a state of mind. And to go on about how a Rap artist, or Madonna, or Donna Summer aren't allowed to be included goes against the freedom of rockn roll..
It gives more power to the suits and radio programmers who try to tell us which music classifies as what, or falls into which category.

I do agree with that. That's not to say that the choices of the HoF, especially the order in which they make them, isn't a bit strange to say the least.

Have to disagree. Other people SHOULD be included, but its people that I think have roots in rock and roll. Its people rock and roll artists loved and modeled themselves after. Pop is a relative term. Roy Orbison wasn't really rock, he was pop. But he of course belongs in a rock and roll hall of fame, for a number of reasons. A lot of those singing groups and blues guys obviously belong because they were massive influences on rock musicians. Yes, rock is a state of mind, but a rock and roll hall of fame is a very specific thing. They can change what they think now, but it was designed with a very specific thing in mind. Madonna should not be in a rock and roll hall of fame. Thats no slight on her as an artist or as a person, but NO ONE would categorize her as rock and no one in rock cites her as an influence. The hall was not created as a place for Madonna over say The Misfits. Thats not harboring some grudge against anyone, I think thats just the truth. The Misfits are someone that probably wouldn't get honored anywhere other than here, and are cited as a massive influence to so many bands. There are different genres in the Hall: pop, alternative, punk, etc. It doesn't have to be inclusive to genre, many people fit the bill. But also many people don't, and I believe that that includes rap and many other just clear pop singers with no relation to rock. All those people should be in a MUSIC hall Of fame, which is what the hall is, but they are too afraid to say it. And also because it being a ROCK AND ROLL Hall Of Fame is cooler. Someone like Janet Jackson I think likes being able to permeate a Rock Hall Of Fame instead of a music Hall Of Fame. But its not truly representative of their music and they know it. Its not difficult to figure out who should be in and who shouldn't. Its trickier once you get to actual talent amongst rock bands, but they turned it into a music hall of fame and are now too chickenshit (to steal from Mike Love) to just outright call it that.

Just a slight comment on this. If the argument is that Madonna shouldn't be in because she didn't influence anybody (which I personally doubt but ok) then that is the argument, not that she is or isn't rock'n'roll. Influence is, I believe, one of the criteria of the HoF anyway.
Next, what IS rock'n'roll in the first place? Is Journey rock'n roll? Blondie? Leonard Cohen? Pink Floyd? Paul Simon? Bob Dylan? Or does it end with Chuck Berry, Gene Vincent and Elvis? I think that categorizing artists is contrary to music itself really, and serves no purpose at all. How else to accept a song like Miss You, when that clearly is NOT rock'n'roll? And where is the limit, 2 disco songs? 5 disco songs? 12 disco songs? At what point does a band become NOT rock'n'roll?

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 19, 2019 02:06

keefriff99
I'll put the Lemmy/Campbell/Dee (or Lemmy/Campbell/Wurzel/Dee) lineup up against the "classic" Lemmy/Eddie/Philthy lineup any day.

They released so many killer albums between 1993 and 2015 (Bastards, Sacrifice, Overnight Sensation, We Are Motorhead, Hammered, Inferno, Kiss of Death, Motorizer, Aftershock) that get little to no recognition. All anyone wants to hear is Ace of Spades and Overkill.

I’m with you on that, all this albums stand up against the classics. Sacrifice, 1916, bastards, overnight sensation etc, all have great tunes on them. It’s a shame they’re not in. They spent more Time in and released more material with Motörhead than the “classic” lineup.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 08:31

Paddy
keefriff99
I'll put the Lemmy/Campbell/Dee (or Lemmy/Campbell/Wurzel/Dee) lineup up against the "classic" Lemmy/Eddie/Philthy lineup any day.

They released so many killer albums between 1993 and 2015 (Bastards, Sacrifice, Overnight Sensation, We Are Motorhead, Hammered, Inferno, Kiss of Death, Motorizer, Aftershock) that get little to no recognition. All anyone wants to hear is Ace of Spades and Overkill.

I’m with you on that, all this albums stand up against the classics. Sacrifice, 1916, bastards, overnight sensation etc, all have great tunes on them. It’s a shame they’re not in. They spent more Time in and released more material with Motörhead than the “classic” lineup.

I didn't follow Motorhead after the mid 80s. Hey Paddy, I saw them in 1982 at the Kerrisdale Arena w/Krokus and Fist. Got autographs at Kellys record store downtown before the show. It was the first show with Brian Robertson, who replaced Fast Eddie a couple weeks prior although no one knew. That would be the last concert ever at Kerrisdale, which I read on the Georgia Straight website. Motorhead played there in 81 when they opened for Ozzy on the Blizzard tour.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: October 19, 2019 10:15

Doobies,YES!

Todd Rundgren? Not a chance.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 19, 2019 10:39

It's all nonsense !

All these theatrical congratulations and that sickening mutual back slapping have no place in Rock N Roll. grinning smiley

Date: October 19, 2019 15:00

RollingFreak
SomeGuy
Palace Revolution 2000
Personally I like that the HOF includes all these different types of popular artists. To me rockn roll is a state of mind. And to go on about how a Rap artist, or Madonna, or Donna Summer aren't allowed to be included goes against the freedom of rockn roll..
It gives more power to the suits and radio programmers who try to tell us which music classifies as what, or falls into which category.

I do agree with that. That's not to say that the choices of the HoF, especially the order in which they make them, isn't a bit strange to say the least.

Have to disagree. Other people SHOULD be included, but its people that I think have roots in rock and roll. Its people rock and roll artists loved and modeled themselves after. Pop is a relative term. Roy Orbison wasn't really rock, he was pop. But he of course belongs in a rock and roll hall of fame, for a number of reasons. A lot of those singing groups and blues guys obviously belong because they were massive influences on rock musicians. Yes, rock is a state of mind, but a rock and roll hall of fame is a very specific thing. They can change what they think now, but it was designed with a very specific thing in mind. Madonna should not be in a rock and roll hall of fame. Thats no slight on her as an artist or as a person, but NO ONE would categorize her as rock and no one in rock cites her as an influence. The hall was not created as a place for Madonna over say The Misfits. Thats not harboring some grudge against anyone, I think thats just the truth. The Misfits are someone that probably wouldn't get honored anywhere other than here, and are cited as a massive influence to so many bands. There are different genres in the Hall: pop, alternative, punk, etc. It doesn't have to be inclusive to genre, many people fit the bill. But also many people don't, and I believe that that includes rap and many other just clear pop singers with no relation to rock. All those people should be in a MUSIC hall Of fame, which is what the hall is, but they are too afraid to say it. And also because it being a ROCK AND ROLL Hall Of Fame is cooler. Someone like Janet Jackson I think likes being able to permeate a Rock Hall Of Fame instead of a music Hall Of Fame. But its not truly representative of their music and they know it. Its not difficult to figure out who should be in and who shouldn't. Its trickier once you get to actual talent amongst rock bands, but they turned it into a music hall of fame and are now too chickenshit (to steal from Mike Love) to just outright call it that.

Really good points RFreak. I see what you're saying. But I just can't see it likewise. I don't think rock'n roll is a 'very specific thing'. I think it is the notion that you stood your ground, you kept as much integrity as one can in a cynical world, you stated your point, you wrote and delivered some great music, you influenced others (SomeGuy). I do think that we need to keep parameters that stay within a certain time era, and embrace a certain technology. Because otherwise I would submit that Beethoven, Bartok, Stravinsky were just as much rock'n rollers as the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 19, 2019 15:08

It's a pop music hall of fame. Rock and roll is a small sliver of pop music.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 19, 2019 16:30

Midnight Toker
Doobies,YES!

Todd Rundgren? Not a chance.

Todd Rundgren has more talent than the rest of the nominees combined.

His induction is long overdue, not just for his work as an artist but as a producer as well.

Date: October 19, 2019 20:40

wonderboy

Then they really should officially change the title of it to the Pop Music Hall of Fame.
By saying "Rock and Roll" - which is a specific genre of music and not all- encompassing as some believe, they sort of ruined their credibility as far as most are concerned.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 19, 2019 21:02

tatters
And Jethro Tull (eligible since 1993) has still never even been nominated. confused smiley

For the life of me I do not understand why this band has not been nominated and inducted. Martin Barre's guitar playing by itself should have gotten them in. Countless numbers of genius level songs in their catalog of work.

Oh well, I just listen to what I like that doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it.

Date: October 19, 2019 22:37

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-20 01:19 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 20, 2019 15:19

Looks like Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee were added to the Motorhead ballot! Excellent news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-20 15:21 by keefriff99.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 20, 2019 15:54

Like AC/DC.
Back In Black lineup and Bon Scott.
Chris Slade, Simon Wright and Mark Evans were not inducted.

keefriff99
I'm just looking for consistency here.

It seems some bands are gifted with several lineups worth of members inducted, while others are told "we're only inducting the 'classic' lineup of your band, so take it or leave it."

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 20, 2019 16:18

keefriff99
Looks like Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee were added to the Motorhead ballot! Excellent news.

yes. wurzel should be in too though

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 20, 2019 18:09

I think the other issue is too many people's personal preferences get in the way of the voting. Fans and Hall Committee alike. I think the bands are fairly self explanatory that deserve the award, ones I like and ones I don't. I see it as 3 main criteria:

1. Influence: are you frequently cited as an influence by other rock artists?
2. Sales: did you have unparalleled success?
3. Consistency: did you put out a string of albums or a consistent amount of hits and good music throughout your career.

I think having at least 2 of those 3 elements is essential to being a Hall Of Fame bands. Some bands have all 3. A band like Led Zeppelin has all 3, the Stones have all 3. Some bands only have two. To me, a band like Dire Straits is one not everyone loves, but they had consistency for a number of years and had unparalleled success with Brothers In Arms. A band like the Misfits has 2: they have a consistent catalogue and are ungodly influential to many bands under them.

I think that weeds out a lot of personal preference. Its not for your favorite bands to get in, its for the best bands to get in. A classic argument my father and I have: do Jethro Tull belong? I say no, he says yes. I think objectively, they don't have enough of that 3 criteria to belong. They're successful, but were never overall so. No one really cites them as an influence. And their consistency is questionable. I would say Aqualung is the only flat out masterpiece. Stand Up is extremely good, and Benefit and Thick As A Brick are OK. I think they are a prime band that makes it into a Hall Of Very Good and not a Hall Of Fame. On the other hand, my father and I both agreed The Moody Blues deserved to go in (had a very consistent catalogue with a huge hit on every album for like 7 albums in a row, and had very good sales in the 70s). Another disagreement we had was KISS and Deep Purple. He doesn't like them, I do, but just objectively I thought they belonged. KISS is massively influential and were a huge band. Deep Purple were massively influential and had a very consistent catalogue for a long time through many lineup changes. I think his personal preference clouded his judgement. Whereas I'm not a fan of The Police but I obviously think they belong in the Hall.

I've never thought it was that hard to figure out who goes in with objectivity. I think most of the obvious people are in. They are a few left. And year after year, we are now just putting in the very good, who I don't think belong. Thats not a slight to them, just not everyone was a Led Zeppelin or a Rolling Stones. Thats the entire point of the Hall: that the best of the best get in and bands like The Misfits or the New York Dolls stand with the Rolling Stones in a Hall that honors the same thing for different reasons. And I personally wouldn't think someone like Jethro Tull fits that bill. They didn't have enough in either camp. You wouldn't induct every progressive rock band in there. Pink Floyd and Genesis had more success and did it better than Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Thats just how it goes. I really don't think thats personal but a lot of people do.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 20, 2019 20:22

Hairball
wonderboy

Then they really should officially change the title of it to the Pop Music Hall of Fame.
By saying "Rock and Roll" - which is a specific genre of music and not all- encompassing as some believe, they sort of ruined their credibility as far as most are concerned.

Well worded. Changing the name - wonder how long that would take?

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 20, 2019 20:34

Dave Matthews Band

Whitney Houston

Motörhead

Judas Priest

Depeche Mode

Date: October 20, 2019 20:50

The Mummies

Date: October 20, 2019 20:52

CBII
tatters
And Jethro Tull (eligible since 1993) has still never even been nominated. confused smiley

For the life of me I do not understand why this band has not been nominated and inducted. Martin Barre's guitar playing by itself should have gotten them in. Countless numbers of genius level songs in their catalog of work.

Oh well, I just listen to what I like that doesn't mean anyone has to agree with it.

Totally agree, and not to forget Mick Abrahams who played exquisitely on the first Tull album.

They were so unique with their blend of blues, classical, folk, progressive, and rock that there really is no other band like them. To say they never influenced anyone is hogwash - from acoustic masterpieces, blazing electric guitar solos, not to mention the concept albums...and the flute of course! I might be a bit biased as the first time I ever had front row seats at a concert was seeing them at The Santa Monica Civic in '79 when I was 16 yrs old, but the reality is the were HUGE throughout the late '60's and the entirety of the '70's. Their first four albums are classics by most everyone's standards having a huge impact on what people considered "Rock and Roll", and the following four were nearly just as good. The fact that they aren't in is even more reason to laugh at the Hall of Fame.

And of course the J.Geils Band... one of the greatest LIVE bands in the day...nominated five times, but nada.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke, and anyone who tries to justify some of the choices the Hall makes is almost just as laughable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-20 20:53 by Hairball.

Date: October 20, 2019 21:11

I'm no Tull fan (but I know someone who is), but if this band shouldn't be inducted then I wouldn't know what band should. And if you don't know the band, just google it up and you see why.

Date: October 20, 2019 21:55

SomeGuy
I'm no Tull fan (but I know someone who is), but if this band shouldn't be inducted then I wouldn't know what band should. And if you don't know the band, just google it up and you see why.

Writer Sean Murphy makes a good case as to why Jethro Tull should be in, but alas never will be:

Jethro Tull

Quite a lengthy article, so have chosen a few pertinent excerpts:

"One band should have been enshrined years ago, and it is with regret and resignation that I hold no expectation that they will ever have the opportunity. The band: Jethro Tull.
The reason: it's not because they're not good enough, but because they are too good".

"Indeed, Jethro Tull have always confounded critics, and despite albums sales, hit songs, influence and longevity that make them a virtual no-brainer,
it is above all the brain of frontman Ian Anderson that ensures they will remain forever on the outside, looking in".

"So should we shed tears for a group that has moved more than 60 million units, played to packed (if steadily smaller) audiences for almost five decades, still receives substantial radio play and is generally recognized for making at least two seminal albums in rock history? Not necessarily. Let it simply be stated, without equivocation, that Ian Anderson is one of the more intelligent, capable and, for a run as long as any other icon, consistent frontman in music".

"From 1969 to 1979 Jethro Tull put out at least one album every single year, and none of them are less than very good. A handful of them are great.
And three of them, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, and A Passion Play, alone merit the band's hall of fame coronation".

"Jethro Tull is in the unfortunate, yet ultimately enviable position of circumventing easy identification. Certainly they are known as a crucial part of the prog-rock movement, as they should be, but their career preceded it and has continued long after its heyday. Aside from their accessibility, relatively speaking of course, Tull also sold enough albums to be considered a significant act in their own regard".

"More than anything else, Ian Anderson's lyrics are many degrees better than those of his prog brethren. More to the point, his lyrics are many degrees better than rock songwriters in any era. The list of rock musicians whose lyrics can be considered apart from the music and appraised as poetry is small, but Anderson is at the top of the list. In terms of output alone, his work necessarily ranks about Roger Waters and Peter Gabriel, two of rock's better wordsmiths. The fact that he was only 23 when Aqualung was recorded is remarkable enough; the fact that the themes and words in many ways remain relevant today is sufficient evidence of his genius".

"Jethro Tull, particularly on Aqualung///manages to present a song cycle -- meshing Anderson's acoustic strumming with Barre's abrasive electric guitar chords -- that manages to sound not only fresh, but vital, even today".

"Aqualung is correctly heralded as an essential moment in classic rock history, but it's more than that. It's a point of departure for a new type of music, both for Jethro Tull and the progressive era".

"Jethro Tull was on top of the world (and the charts) in 1972 when Thick as a Brick became the first pop album comprised of one continuous song to reach a widespread audience. The concept may have been audacious, but the music is miraculous: this is among the handful of holy grails for prog-rock fanatics, no questions asked...If Aqualung doubled down on the “concept album" concept, Thick as a Brick functioned as a New Testament of sorts, signifying what was now possible in rock music".

"There are plenty of musicians, especially in the prog genre, whose lyrical merits can be ceaselessly debated. Ian Anderson is not one of them. If you find his writing oblique or impenetrable, it's not him, it's you.
The brilliance of his wordplay and the fun he has with the English language is something to savor".

"No matter: in the court of public opinion the works persevere and will be alive and well and living in the hearts and minds of sensitive and discerning listeners as long as discs still spin.
In the end Tull's not the kind you have to wind up for award shows".

And somehow Madonna, Bon Jovi, Abba, Green Day, and Janet Jackson deserve to be in over Jethro Tull? Pshhh....confused smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 21, 2019 03:38

Monkees > Dave Mathews Band

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 21, 2019 06:33

Whitney Houston?

Date: October 21, 2019 07:05

Since the "Rock" Hall is pretty much a free-for-all of who can get nominated/inducted,
I'd like to nominate Franzl Lang...who inspired and influenced many!

Date: October 21, 2019 08:08

DGA35
Paddy
keefriff99

I didn't follow Motorhead after the mid 80s. Hey Paddy, I saw them in 1982 at the Kerrisdale Arena w/Krokus and Fist. Got autographs at Kellys record store downtown before the show. It was the first show with Brian Robertson, who replaced Fast Eddie a couple weeks prior although no one knew. That would be the last concert ever at Kerrisdale, which I read on the Georgia Straight website. Motorhead played there in 81 when they opened for Ozzy on the Blizzard tour.

That’s petty cool!! Was Robbo wearing the infamous “shorts” that night grinning smiley
Each time I saw Motörhead, my ears would ring for the next 2 days. I loved that band live. It was just FORCE and a great time. Loud fast rock n roll.

Date: October 21, 2019 08:13

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99

thumbs upthumbs up

yes. wurzel should be in too though

thumbs upthumbs up

Great Phil & Mikkey are being inducted as Motörhead. Despite being mad for them to get in, it was the classic lineup I chose last night and had a listen to “no sleep till Hammersmith” grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home