Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Live Albums
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2019 04:16

DGA35
GasLightStreet
DGA35
GasLightStreet
Chris Fountain
Concerning Still Life, How can a bootleg beat the quality? Aren't some of the SL cuts from Hampton?

Imagination
Shattered
LSTNT
Time Is On My Side

I don't think Imagination is from Hampton. I've mentioned here before, I don't know why the Still Life version of Time has a different first verse than the actual version from Hampton? LSTNT is from Hampton but the Still Life version has an edited ending.

Maybe it's from the other Hampton show? There were 2 shows.

Maybe Imagination is from the other show but LSNT is the same, even Mick's intro about everyone watching at home having a few beers smoking a few joints. Time is identical except for the opening verse.

No, I mean, how the end of LSTNT is edited - it may be from the other show. Did Charlie botch the ending in the other show? It could be from other shows they recorded for the live album - I've never read anything anywhere alluding to this, which is interesting - Aerosmith did a live album recently where the guitar solo is from a different show etc... of course, done with Pro Tools. The Stones were still cutting and splicing.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 7, 2019 04:32

Which live song/album was the Aerosmith from? The reality is not many live albums are truly l00% live! I read that on Van Halen Right Here Right Now, Sammy said he went into the studio to re-record all the vocals!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2019 04:48

DGA35
Which live song/album was the Aerosmith from? The reality is not many live albums are truly l00% live! I read that on Van Halen Right Here Right Now, Sammy said he went into the studio to re-record all the vocals!

I can't remember, it was a while ago, but it was probably A LITTLE SOUTH OF SANITY.

The only true live albums I've ever heard are the two by The Cult. I suppose you could say LA FRIDAY and LEEDS and a few others by the Stones are true live albums.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 7, 2019 10:12

My impression is that live recordings by The Doors are pretty authentic also.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 18, 2019 05:19

Deep Purple's Made In Japan has no overdubs either (as far as I know).

As for the Stones, over the years I grew to particularly like No Security. Actually a rather unflashy album but it really clicks.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 18, 2019 08:07

No Security is a rather good, but misunderstood live document. The album is about rare songs that were played on the BtoB tour, but it got the usual fan flak like: why don't we get a full show again?!? and that kind of drivel.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 18, 2019 08:13

SomeGuy
No Security is a rather good, but misunderstood live document. The album is about rare songs that were played on the BtoB tour, but it got the usual fan flak like: why don't we get a full show again?!? and that kind of drivel.

Never did care for the cover! Haven't listened to the CD in a number of years but I did like Waiting On A Friend and Respectable.

Date: October 18, 2019 14:38

GasLightStreet
DGA35

I can't remember, it was a while ago, but it was probably A LITTLE SOUTH OF SANITY.

The only true live albums I've ever heard are the two by The Cult. I suppose you could say LA FRIDAY and LEEDS and a few others by the Stones are true live albums.

Best Aerosmith live album, and maybe their best album period is "Live Bootleg"; fantastic.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 19, 2019 14:57

doitywoik
As for the Stones, over the years I grew to particularly like No Security. Actually a rather unflashy album but it really clicks.

I know I'm def in the minority, but I love this album. No warhorse-syndrome, just a very cool setlist. I can see why the cover turns people off, but whatever, the inside is great, and I can argue that many of their other live album covers are crap (Flashpoint, Still Life, Love You Live mainly).

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 19, 2019 15:54

SomeGuy

Quite agree ...

...and the more recent San Jose 99 Vaults release compliments it very well as a record of that period on stage.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 19, 2019 17:49

In my opinion the live albums must keep their originality, but this doesn't mean that they can't be retouched, I don't want to hear the same mistake every time. Live music is meant to be heard immediately, recording it makes sense only if it is a perfect performance, but it rarely happens, so I agree with the improvements made in the studio.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 20, 2019 02:49

SomeGuy

I wish they would do this type of thing with the more recent tours, just release a cd of the song vote winners or rarely played songs from the tours.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 20, 2019 09:10

DGA35
I read that on Van Halen Right Here Right Now, Sammy said he went into the studio to re-record all the vocals!
Good question. There is also a DVD from the Vsn Halen album. So I doubt that sll vocals were rerecorded.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 20, 2019 16:07

I think the officially released LA 75, Brussels 73 and Leeds 71 "live albums" plus Ya-Yas are by far the best. I'm not sure what was the intention for releasing Live Licks and Flashpoint, absurd remix albums. I know there's also studio work on Ya-Yas but that makes sense.

Date: October 20, 2019 18:02

Monsoon Ragoon
I think the officially released LA 75, Brussels 73 and Leeds 71 "live albums" plus Ya-Yas are by far the best. I'm not sure what was the intention for releasing Live Licks and Flashpoint, absurd remix albums. I know there's also studio work on Ya-Yas but that makes sense.

Not Live In Texas 1978? I prefer that one to LA Friday.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 00:21

ive not got all the live stuff, got most of it, but ive no ranked them yet.

dont know if i ever will, just cant be bothered.

ive got back into love you live recently, was my first ever stones tape and although a bit disorientated it rocks in places, sympathy/if you cant rock me/get off my cloud/star star being the highlights.

live at leeds in 1982 is great to.

hopwfully they release the 2018 european tour soon, would like that officially as watching them on youtube is great, so many great versions of rambler/street fighting man/like a rolling stones/paint it black.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 21, 2019 00:57

For me the best live shows are complete: Texas ‘78, LA ‘75, Leeds ‘82, Tokyo ‘90, Hampton. Pulled out LYL because I love 75/76 but it’s disjointed and I’m suspicious of the overdubs. GYYY deluxe is incredible

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 21, 2019 08:51

For me:
GYYYO deluxe, Leeds + London Roundhouse 1971, Brussels 1973, LA 1975.

I would have mentioned Love You Live; I used to love it when I was a kid, but after getting to hear all the other 1975/76 shows, I don't play it much

Live In Texas....yes, great, but I don't care, as I've played Handsome Girls 100 times over the years. And it's a little straining to me, the 78 tour. Maybe because I'm growing old. The cocaine is to obvious. Of course there were dope in earlier tours....much more dope actually, but it's just made the playing better, it didn't make them "try too hard to rock it out" like in 1978-1982.

Ladies & Gent I'm also TOO familiar with from bootlegs. I have it all in my head. And there are better bootlegs from 1972, much better. The sound is muddy too.

One could say that Still Life is a pale representation of 1981, but I actually find it to be OK, because it's so short. I can't listen to a 2 hour show from 81/82 anymore, I don't have the patience. Hampton I know in my head. Leeds is pretty cool, since it's new to me. Even bought it on vinyl. But again...I don't have the patience. 1 side of the LP every now and then is OK, though

Every live album 1989-2018......I don't care about at all. It doesn't rock my boat. But that's just my problem.

Now if they only could release something from 1967, more from 1969-1975......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-21 08:58 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 09:43

In the 60s a fan had to live with Got Live If You Want It, both the LP and the (great) EP plus great cuts of Route 66 and I'm Moving On. This was until out of the blue the great bootleg Liver Than You'll Ever Be surfaced. Amazing recording quality (surely for those days). Only months later GY'YY'sO, by many (and I'm one of them) marked as the best live album of the Stones, hit the world. It's illegal "older brother", was at least as good though, carrying extra songs, like the great slow version of I'm Free (what a dreamer!).
Bruxelles Affairs was definitely another great bootleg that marked the 70s, but (see EddyByWord's list), releasing live boots became trendy in the 70s, sometimes overshadowed by poorer recording quality (remember, it was all still vinyl ...).
Ever since very good and even great live recordings, both bootlegs and official ones, filled my CD shelf. In all honesty ... too many. So at one point I decided to stick with bootleg versions from concerts that I actually visited (even if the sound quality wasn't as good as it could be) because they are directly connected with great memories. Of course I do have all officially released ones (mentioning this: does anyone know of a recording of Hamburg 1973, October 2, of the 1st show? I do have a copy of the 2nd, but I was at the 1st show grinning smiley).
I agree with some that the record companies put out live albums that "we" are not waiting for, but well, that's part of the business.
Today I reserve for the official and accompanying Stripped CDs. Great stuff!
smileys with beer

Date: October 21, 2019 10:06

Erik_Snow
For me:
GYYYO deluxe, Leeds + London Roundhouse 1971, Brussels 1973, LA 1975.

I would have mentioned Love You Live; I used to love it when I was a kid, but after getting to hear all the other 1975/76 shows, I don't play it much

Live In Texas....yes, great, but I don't care, as I've played Handsome Girls 100 times over the years. And it's a little straining to me, the 78 tour. Maybe because I'm growing old. The cocaine is to obvious. Of course there were dope in earlier tours....much more dope actually, but it's just made the playing better, it didn't make them "try too hard to rock it out" like in 1978-1982.

Ladies & Gent I'm also TOO familiar with from bootlegs. I have it all in my head. And there are better bootlegs from 1972, much better. The sound is muddy too.

One could say that Still Life is a pale representation of 1981, but I actually find it to be OK, because it's so short. I can't listen to a 2 hour show from 81/82 anymore, I don't have the patience. Hampton I know in my head. Leeds is pretty cool, since it's new to me. Even bought it on vinyl. But again...I don't have the patience. 1 side of the LP every now and then is OK, though

Every live album 1989-2018......I don't care about at all. It doesn't rock my boat. But that's just my problem.

Now if they only could release something from 1967, more from 1969-1975......

Well, they did release a 1967-show...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 21, 2019 14:11

DandelionPowderman

oh yes, I forgot, but we want more, and better quality

Date: October 21, 2019 15:44

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

oh yes, I forgot, but we want more, and better quality

thumbs up

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 21, 2019 23:38

Erik_Snow
One could say that Still Life is a pale representation of 1981, but I actually find it to be OK, because it's so short. I can't listen to a 2 hour show from 81/82 anymore, I don't have the patience. Hampton I know in my head. Leeds is pretty cool, since it's new to me. Even bought it on vinyl. But again...I don't have the patience. 1 side of the LP every now and then is OK, though...

Hi Erik, I would add Pepin's tape for the second show at Auteuil which is incomplete but so excellent !

HMN

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 23, 2019 16:08

DandelionPowderman
Monsoon Ragoon

Not Live In Texas 1978? I prefer that one to LA Friday.

Okay forgot about Fort Worth 78. San Jose 99 is not bad for the otherwise "horrible" 90's eighter.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home