Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Metallica stuff
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 19, 2023 00:18

VoodooLounge13
Kurt
Curious to see the sales numbers of their new album, 72 Seasons, which was released last Friday. Massive marketing efforts including a Global Premiere Watch party in movie theaters last Thursday night, independent record store listening parties all over the land on Friday, multiple LP variants, CD's, videos, streaming services and even a cassette offering.

Large merch offering, contests and world-wide press.
New tour with a massive in-the-round stadium stage setup begins just in a few weeks' time.

Sales look to be very strong.

It was the top seller on Amazon as of yesterday. It's friggin great. I really enjoy it. Think I might prefer Hardwired by a milli-hair, but they have definitely rediscovered their sound, between Magnetic, Hardwired, and this one. I do think St. Anger is a damn fine album too, though I know most despise it. S&M2 was a letdown for me, and LuLu, well, there's just nothing to say. The Load's had some great tracks, but it would have been a magnificent single album - better probably than the Black album even. But they are most definitely back. And I just got notice last night that they're going to live stream 2 of their shows this summer in theaters all over the world - there's an avenue our boys haven't tried yet.

Metallica is doing everything right!
I forgot to mention the dedicated SiriusXM channel too. And those two Texas shows LIVE in theatres info here: Metallica M72 Tour in Movie Theatres

The new album is incredible.
Inamorata clocking in at 11:09 is currently my favorite.
These four guys are killing it right when the world needs some great rock ass-kicking!

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: April 19, 2023 00:22

First time seeing Metallica was in Cleveland opening for OzzY in '86 for Master of Puppets... great show!

Saw 'em a bunch of times over the years, including 2 on Monsters of Rock '88, and New Years Eve in Pontiac '99/2000, the Y2K scare that folks thought the world's computers would crash at midnight.

Caught the show in Cincinnati in 2004 for St. Anger, then went a long 17 years until we rolled down to Louisville for Louder Than Life in 2021... w Judas Priest on the bill, it was a must-see... and I had forgotten how vicious Metallica is live!

Last year for Sixty, I had tix for The Stones in Bern and Milano, and scheduled Metallica at Firenze Rocks in between the two... so I ended up getting 2 shows outta 3, and they were both great!!

I will be in Detroit for Metallica w Pantera and MammothWVH on the Friday, 11-10 show at Ford Field, gonna be a great gig... the new 72 Seasons is slammin'!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2023 08:12

bye bye johnny

"I always go and say hello to our support act: I look them in the eye, I ask them if there's anything they need. It's a human thing; if somebody comes out and plays on a Metallica stage I want them to feel at home."

[www.loudersound.com]
--
Full interview - [www.youtube.com]

I understand what Lars is saying. But. I have my own (personal) reasons not to believe him 100% AND... the Stones weren't the supporting act.

Mick has his warm up routine - does anyone see any of the other Stones bothering Mick?

Seems a tad bit childish. So Lars.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 21, 2023 15:25

For me my favorite track is If Darkness Had A Son. I think Shadows Follow is probably the weakest on the album. Everything else is just great.

Date: April 21, 2023 19:46

First week sales numbers being released...
#1 in UK
#1 in Australia
#1 in Netherlands
#1 in France
#1 in Germany
#1 in Sweden
#1 in Ireland
#2 in Norway
#? in US

Currently loving You Must Burn! and Room of Mirrors.
Fantastic album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-21 23:02 by Kurt.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 21, 2023 20:18

Kurt

#2 in US

I think we find out for sure on Sunday.

On the face of it, #2 would be massively disappointing, but the calculations are so much more complex these days. It's not just folks buying the record at the store, but also (and I have no idea what this means): "10 individual tracks sold from an album, or 3,750 ad-supported or 1,250 paid/subscription on-demand official audio and video streams generated by songs from an album." (via Billboard).

Date: April 21, 2023 20:19

Kurt
#1 in UK
#1 in Australia
#1 in Netherlands
#1 in France
#1 in Germany
#1 in Sweden
#2 in Norway
#2 in US

Currently loving You Must Burn! and Room of Mirrors.
Fantastic album.

What the heck sold more in the US?!?!?!?

Date: April 21, 2023 20:34

Yes, maybe I've jumped the gun on the US sales like Dean points out above.
Seems that Morgan Wallen has a tight grip on the combined sales calculations but let's wait and see for sure.

I personally bought the LP, the CD and a cassette.
Maybe my cassette purchase will push Metallica over the top!

HUGE numbers globally. I'm sure The Stones are paying attention to this one.

Date: April 21, 2023 21:05

Kurt

I personally bought the LP, the CD and a cassette.
Maybe my cassette purchase will push Metallica over the top!

I did my bit - one CD at Target for $9.99.

I was more enthusiastic in 1986 when I bought the record and tape of Dirty Work on the first day, similarly in hopes of pushing the Stones over the top.

Date: April 22, 2023 03:27

I've been streaming it all week. With the pending house closing taking place next week and some things needed still for the house afterward, I have to pick and choose these days. Right now, it's RSD Stones releases, which will be my final music-related purchases for quite some time. Must say I'm kinda glad the tour was postponed from this year, as I would have missed it. Hopeful for next year.

Date: April 24, 2023 21:23

Do we have official numbers, chart positions yet?!?!?

Date: April 24, 2023 21:29

Actually, I found the answer to my own ?:

Charts

Too bad they couldn't pull it off.

Date: April 24, 2023 21:41

Yeah, sad but true.

Pretty good analysis here:

METALLICA's 72 Seasons Has Their Worst First Week Sales In A Long Time

[metalinjection.net]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 24, 2023 21:43

I listened to 72 Seasons this weekend. Pretty good record albeit a bit too long.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 24, 2023 21:51

DeanGoodman
Yeah, sad but true.

Pretty good analysis here:

METALLICA's 72 Seasons Has Their Worst First Week Sales In A Long Time

[metalinjection.net]

Date: April 25, 2023 02:07

Really unbelievable. They’ve gotta be disappointed. It’s a really strong solid album and it’s unfortunate that it hasn’t sold better.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: April 28, 2023 09:19

I am in Amsterdam. Their first Show of 2 was yesterday.

They opened with my favorite, Orion. Fantastic. Probably a first-timer that a band starts with an 8 minute instrumental track in front of 50k people. And the crowd going wild.

A 2 hour show with 16 songs and 4 extremely fast popping up drumkits on an enormous circular stage with 8 gigantic video screen pillars.

Tomorrow show 2 with a no-repeat setlist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-28 09:20 by shattered1978.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 2, 2023 17:18

Great donation of Metallica:

Het Parool- Dutch newspaper and my translation:

The American metal band Metallica has donated 40,000 euros to Blij Groep, an Amsterdam-based organization that works to stop domestic violence and offers shelter to victims. The foundation also has branches in other cities in North Holland and Flevoland.

“We are proud to support Blij Groep in their mission to end domestic violence,” the band said in a press statement. The band's non-profit organization, All Within My Hands, donated 40,000 euros to Blij Groep on Saturday on the second night of the concert. The rock band donates money to charity in every city where they play

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 2, 2023 17:33

My last Metallica show was at the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam, wich was great but just listened to a great recording from someone at the Amsterdam Johan Cruijf Stadium Metallica concert in 2023

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 2, 2023 19:50

Second night's setlist seems so much better...

Date: May 2, 2023 19:59

Milan
Second night's setlist seems so much better...

But when you combine the two setlists...HOLY HELL!

Night ONE

Night TWO

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: May 28, 2023 19:04

video: [youtu.be]Here an example for how the M72 circular stage looks at night from a medium-priced seat. The 8 round screens worked quite well, however the band made a somewhat loose impression.
The RS tongue design at the O2 or NFL worked much better to my impression.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-28 19:20 by eismann.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2091
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home