Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Rugby World Cup 2019
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 17, 2019 09:09

Before the Stones hit the stadium in Tokyo, we have to enjoy big sporting event.
I excerpt an interesting newspaper article.

Don't run out of beer, Rugby World Cup organizers warn bar owners
Rugby fans visiting Japan, are expecting to experience Japan's unique culture and world renowned hospitality.
While the Rugby World Cup might only be the world's third-largest sporting event after the soccer World Cup and the summer Olympics,
rugby fans could be international sport's biggest drinkers, guzzling six times more beer on average than soccer fans.
Foreign rugby fans also drink more beer on average than Japanese, consuming 4.4 cups of beer for every one cup of beer drunk by a Japanese spectator.

Beer sold out during an Argentina-Ireland tie at the in 2003 world cup in Australia, and in the French city of Marseilles four years later,
most bars ran reportedly ran out of beer during the South Africa-Fiji match.
HUB, a British style pub chain that operates across the country, said it has secured seven times the usual amount of beer at its outlet near the International Stadium Yokohama
that will host a total of seven matches including the final on Nov. 2.
And Dutch brewer Heineken, which is hoping to get a 70% sales bump during the tournament in its role as the official beer of the 2019 World Cup,
said was expecting to sell over 1.1 million cases of beer across Japan over the course of the year.
"Our market share is less than 1% as of 2019," a Heineken spokesman told Nikkei. "So the world cup is a great opportunity to improve brand awareness among Japanese consumers."
Still, some Japanese restaurateurs remain unconvinced by the suggestion that rugby crowds could drink them dry.

Re: OT: Rugby World Cup 2019
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 17, 2019 09:35

We might be #1 on paper, but I hope we put in a good shift and the World Cup. England blew us away a few weeks ago. Henshaw seems out with a hamstring. But anyway, I hope it’s Winners are a 6 nations team.

I look forward to this more than the soccer World Cup.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: September 19, 2019 09:26

I'm becoming a rugby fan, great sport, never exposed in US - gonna keep up this yr

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 19, 2019 10:25

Almost the best thing about televised Rugby Union is seeing and hearing the referee's control and authority over the players...and their complete respect for the officials .

Something association football could learn a lot from from !

[It's not a one way street though ...many football referees come over as very aloof and arrogant...explaining very little to players about their. decisions .
Rugby referees on the other hand tend show players the same respect they receive by explaining decisions when questioned .

Easier I know with Rugby as there are more natural breaks in the play ]

Date: September 22, 2019 03:29

We have Scotland @ 12:45am my time tonight. God help the neighbours if it’s a close game. Rugby is one of only 2 sports I get worked up about. Love the passion. Couldn’t stay awake last night for the all blacks v s Africa game. Watched aussies v Fiji though.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 22, 2019 03:38

Paddy
We have Scotland @ 12:45am my time tonight. God help the neighbours if it’s a close game. Rugby is one of only 2 sports I get worked up about. Love the passion. Couldn’t stay awake last night for the all blacks v s Africa game. Watched aussies v Fiji though.

I get to watch the Rugby World Cup with my breakfast!
Happy days.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 22, 2019 11:46

Good first half, great stuff from Murray, Henderson especially. But all of them stepping up so far. Hope we play as well on the second half.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: September 22, 2019 17:59

Can someone with a bit more knowledge explain what is the purpose of a scrum?

In days gone by the scrum-half put the ball in the centre of the scrum and the hookers attempted to win the ball. If one side did not put the ball in straight, the opponents scrum-half put the ball in. Now the scrum half gives the ball to his own team, so what is the point?

If the scrum serves no purpose other than to retain the ball via some elaborate historic meeting of 16 bodies, why not adopt the post rugby league tackle restart at this point?

Captain Confused

Date: September 22, 2019 18:15

Captain Teague
Can someone with a bit more knowledge explain what is the purpose of a scrum?

In days gone by the scrum-half put the ball in the centre of the scrum and the hookers attempted to win the ball. If one side did not put the ball in straight, the opponents scrum-half put the ball in. Now the scrum half gives the ball to his own team, so what is the point?

If the scrum serves no purpose other than to retain the ball via some elaborate historic meeting of 16 bodies, why not adopt the post rugby league tackle restart at this point?

Captain Confused

From Wiki:

More recently, World Rugby announced that starting in 2017–18, it would conduct a worldwide trial of changes to the scrum law as part of a larger trial of law changes. These changes will be used for at least a year before WR decides on whether to make them permanent.[29]

The scrum-half must still throw the ball in straight, but is allowed to align his or her shoulder on the middle line of the scrum. This will allow the scrum-half to stand on his or her own side of the middle line.
Once the ball touches the ground, any front-row player—not just the hookers—may contest possession.
The number 8 may pick the ball up once it reaches the feet of the second-row players.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: September 22, 2019 18:18

Thank you Deltics but the scrum half never throws the ball in straight, so should be penalised?

Date: September 22, 2019 21:00

Captain Teague
Thank you Deltics but the scrum half never throws the ball in straight, so should be penalised?

That’s what I would have thought, but never happens!

Good start for Ireland, though I have more fear of the Japanese than I had Scotland. The Japanese put in a huge shift against South Africa in the last World Cup and got a late try to win it. They’ll be tough and at home will make them harder to beat. Huge Pride.

Date: September 23, 2019 13:32

Captain Teague

Just watching Wales v Georgia and I took particular notice of one of the Welsh scrums, the ball was definitely delivered straight to the feet of the Welshmen!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 24, 2019 09:22

Deltics
Captain Teague

Just watching Wales v Georgia and I took particular notice of one of the Welsh scrums, the ball was definitely delivered straight to the feet of the Welshmen!

If truth be told the scrum now only exists in the absence of an alternative way of restarting play under the same circumstances.

The Scrum used to be a fiercely contested pushing contest between the forwards , often used to drive the ball forward at the feet of the payers in the scrum...sometimes even over the line for a try.

It was however increasingly dangerous as players got bigger and more athletic and too many serious neck injuries were perceived to be happening.

The law changes were brought in for understandable reasons of safely... but have reduced the scrum to something of a procedural vestige of the original contest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-24 13:24 by Spud.

Date: September 25, 2019 02:08

Japan fans were spotted coming prepared with lyric sheets for almost every national anthem played over the weekend
with the locals belting out everything from Advance Australia Fair to Namibia, Land Of The Brave.

Entire seating sections at World Cup stadiums had local fans lending their voices to foreign national anthems.
It’s just one of the reasons Australia’s win over Fiji reportedly felt like a home game for the Aussies at the Sapporo Dome.

Japanese supporters were also out in force for Ireland’s 27-3 thrashing of Scotland on Sunday in Yokohama.

A photo of Japanese locals singing Ireland’s contentious Ireland’s Call anthem while holding up lyrics sheets quickly spread
across the internet in the wake of Ireland’s first-up win.

The photo showed the pieces of paper carried by fans included the words for the entire Irish anthem,
which is used for Irish rugby games outside of the Republic, replacing The Soldier’s Song, which is used for matches on home soil.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 25, 2019 03:23

Rugby born, bred, in the blood. Love it like a religion.

Hoping for a threepeat, it'll be tough,

Ireland are strong,

England in form,

France who knows it's the French,

Australia always in with a shot,

Sth Africa maybe too much gym and not enough speedwork but they'll be contenders irregardless of the first up loss.

Outsider is Samoa finishing 2nd in Pool A, Tipping the hosts and Scotland out, these games between Samoa/Japan/Scotland are going to be epic

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 25, 2019 03:56

ALL BLACKS all the way

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 25, 2019 08:29

Buddy from South Africa is over in Japan now, having a blast, rooting for his team.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 08:49

I live in Tokyo. I’m not a huge rugby fan but the few games I’ve watched have been very exciting and the teams are class acts. Many of the foreign fans, however, are a disgrace.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 25, 2019 09:58

Rugby in the USA is treated as a club sport. Meaning, it is not "officially" sanctioned as a school sport by the schools. Though it does carries the names of the schools. It never gets any write-ups in local newspapers sports section yet Crew, which is also a club sport does. But that is slowly changing as Rugby is gaining a foothold.

It is a tough sport that uses no equipment other than a mouth guard piece of rubber. It needs to be played on natural grass not artificial turf. My daughter played four years in high school and four years in college, and continues on the local team. She once broke her collar bone making a solo tackle on an artificial turf field. I had previously complained to the coach about playing on the hard surface with no equipment. That high school team never played on artificial turf again.

Date: September 25, 2019 15:35

[twitter.com]
Congratulations to Uruguay!

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 25, 2019 16:05

The Sicilian
Rugby in the USA is treated as a club sport. Meaning, it is not "officially" sanctioned as a school sport by the schools. Though it does carries the names of the schools. It never gets any write-ups in local newspapers sports section yet Crew, which is also a club sport does. But that is slowly changing as Rugby is gaining a foothold.

It is a tough sport that uses no equipment other than a mouth guard piece of rubber. It needs to be played on natural grass not artificial turf. My daughter played four years in high school and four years in college, and continues on the local team. She once broke her collar bone making a solo tackle on an artificial turf field. I had previously complained to the coach about playing on the hard surface with no equipment. That high school team never played on artificial turf again.

Give your kids a Rugby Ball at birth they'll learn handling skills before they walk... The New Zealand way... i've seen Baby Booties/Onesies/Bibs with the All Blacks logo on Newborns...

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: September 25, 2019 19:57

Congratulations to Uruguay!
Vamos Los Teros!

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: September 26, 2019 06:12

Very proud of Uruguay

Posted by: exil ()
Date: September 26, 2019 11:52

Wales v Australia be a good one on sunday.

Date: September 26, 2019 20:23

Yeah looking forward to that game. We have Japan 12:15am Friday night. They won’t be a pushover. I expect a tough game.

Date: September 28, 2019 12:58

It was a tough game...

Japan were aggressive and hungry going forward and controlled and disciplined defensively. Great win for them. Hopefully Ireland can find some fire in the knockout stages.

Date: September 28, 2019 15:43

A Night At The Opera.smiling smiley
video: [www.youtube.com]

[www.tokai-tv.com]

Date: September 28, 2019 22:16

My Other, better, kinder, gentler half is still mocking my anguish over that game. The fact she’s Japanese is making it worse grinning smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 28, 2019 22:39

SKILLS
The Sicilian

Give your kids a Rugby Ball at birth they'll learn handling skills before they walk... The New Zealand way... i've seen Baby Booties/Onesies/Bibs with the All Blacks logo on Newborns...

In Canada you give your kids a hockey puck at birth! Vancouver has hosted the Rugby 7's a couple times now and has drawn good crowds. That is played on artificial turf in BC Place.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 29, 2019 02:47

DGA35
SKILLS
The Sicilian

In Canada you give your kids a hockey puck at birth! Vancouver has hosted the Rugby 7's a couple times now and has drawn good crowds. That is played on artificial turf in BC Place.

Not good for the body. What good is Rugby if you can't get mud and grass on you? The game belongs on grass not turf.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home