Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Coming Death of Rock (an article)
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 2, 2019 17:06

keefriff99
Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

When you look at that...it IS very daunting. I'm 41 and I love all these artists. It's going to be a rough 10-15 years with a lot of mourning, but also celebration. Let's keep in mind that everyone above is currently ALIVE and has left a tremendous musical gift. We're all going to pass at some point, and their achievements should be celebrated.

In the end these people are the immortals, their legends will live on in Rock & Roll history. We will be the forgotton ones. moody smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 2, 2019 17:46

The world many of us knew is long gone, which is part of it. There are no record stores, there are no video clubs, and I think music video channels are pretty much ignored. Rock music is just a niche player and I don't know what the average twenty-something listens to much less a 16-year-old.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 2, 2019 17:53

Two, actually quite a few of my favourite musicians died before I was even born, so, erm, yeah.

Death n stuff. hot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 17:55 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 2, 2019 18:19

It really struck me the other day that John Lennon will be gone for 40 years next year. sad smiley

Date: September 2, 2019 21:06

Lynd8
It really struck me the other day that John Lennon will be gone for 40 years next year. sad smiley
I just watched the 75 birthday John Lennon concert at MSG. This is an example of when I hate it thAt I myself jump to criticizing. There was something wrong with a lot of the interpretations. They were cheapened in a way. The worst offender was that guy from Train who butchered "Jealous Guy". But once Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson or Tom Morello came out, the show got much better.
And Aloe Blacc stole the whole night with his rendition of "watching the Wheels".

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 2, 2019 22:03

Stoneage
"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing
".

(From Macbeth, spoken by Macbeth).

Wop bop a lu bop signifies nothing?
Gimme more nothing.
Nothing beats it. Everything comes to it.
Five to one beeby, one to five....
Epceterahh

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 2, 2019 22:33

kovach
It really hit me when Bowie died, I remember thinking, it's going to be someone else continually for the next 10-15 years.

It's not so much that they've been active recently, but memories of seeing many of these people live and being pioneers of creating their own brand of rock & roll.

It is really depressing to actually read however what I've already thought about in my own head.

My Grandma lived to age 91, had a vibrant social life well into old age (church, squaredancing, weekly bridge games) but outlived every last one of her friends. Now that is depressing.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 2, 2019 22:39

Don't forget in the words of Sir Lew Grade, one time Beatles Music Publisher:
"Those Northern Songs will live forever".

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 2, 2019 23:13

The "Rock is dead" thing has been around for a while now;I wonder when was it first thought or better printed?It does not mean anything because all the music is accessible so still alive for whoever wants to listen to it.But the statement itself is strong because it is brutal and depressing if you love that music. Why do people feel the need to make that statement is more interesting than their answer which is in part rationalizing the rocking $$$ not made by the captains of the music industry.
Rockandroll will never die.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1486
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home