Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Coming Death of Rock (an article)
Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 1, 2019 04:12

[theweek.com]

Morbid, but unfortunately true, article on the end our fav rock gods (Mick and Keith included).

Pretty good read.

Re: The Coming Death of Rock (an article)
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 1, 2019 04:33

Oh my, another dirge on the death throes of rock and the inevitability of death for us all. I am sure the passing of singers such as Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Bing Crosby, musicians like Louis Armstrong, entertainers such as Bob Hope, made our parents/grandparents reflect upon their own aging and end of time. So, there's nothing really new being reported here, nothing new to discover or learn. How much more I'd rather read about how folks are making the most of the ride as they motor down life's highway.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 1, 2019 06:14

True. But some of their music will live on for longer than that. And I guess that's the main thing. Music never dies.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 1, 2019 06:16

I'm sorry, but those icons haven't really contributed to popular music for many years. I'm struggling to understand the point of this article. It's like coming to grips that your favorite musicians will die many years beyond their prime. Seems like it should be a journal and not an article. Seems like a copy of the realization that all the good guys from WWII are going to eventually pass away.

Sorry, StonedAsia, It wasn't a good read for me, but thanks for sharing.

Date: September 1, 2019 06:28

Agree, Travelin Man. And the artists mentioned are almost all past their prime. Some traveling the world still playing those 60's hits...
I guess the point is to tell that rock and roll has reached its retiring years. Which is true. But it will still live on in the new popular music to come. As music never dies.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 1, 2019 14:37

My apologies. I know it's a touchy subject and not one I'm particularly looking forward to. As Stoneage said, the music will live forever. I am really happy I have been able to witness it; the Stones, The Who, Zep...all the great, and not so great bands and musicians I've seen, met, and contributed to their retirement by purchasing concert tix and music lol.

If I've taught my kid right, my future grand kids and great grand kids will be listening to 'Satisfaction' or trying to figure how to play Keith's riffs in open G smileys with beer

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 1, 2019 19:20

I don't need to think about & confront this horrible truth more than necessary! It's not like I don't think about this, often...I would just prefer NOT to have it outlined in detail like this so it becomes even more a part of my consciousness!angry smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 1, 2019 21:03

I agree with you, StonedAsiaExile, a pretty good read. Thank you.
It begins to explain why those certain years produced some great music.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2019 21:43

The times of our youth will fade with us. The artists and their art will be resurrected by future generations and seen and heard with fresh eyes. Artists you might not be fully aware of now could be popularized for reasons we can't even fathom now. Some of the most popular will be forgotten. But come on, the Beatles, The Who, The Stones, will be seen as giants. The long, slow decline of the Stones will barely be noted, as their first 30 years is what history will focus on. The second half will be summed up as, "They continued to tour to large audiences, playing hits from their distant past."

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 1, 2019 21:44

Can't believe Ozzy and Ian Gillan didn't make the list. 70/74 respectively.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:09

Here Lies Blues Based Rock and Roll

1955-1992

Killed by a 3 headed monster - MTV, Rap, and Grunge

Rest In Peace

Survived by blues, old school country, jazz, soul, and a host of other mostly forgotten genres.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:19

Elmo Lewis
Here Lies Blues Based Rock and Roll

1955-1992

Killed by a 3 headed monster - MTV, Rap, and Grunge

Rest In Peace

Survived by blues, old school country, jazz, soul, and a host of other mostly forgotten genres.

Grunge is closer to blues based rock and roll than a lot of popular rock music in the preceding decades.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 1, 2019 22:34

Well if John Mayall can do it than why can't Mick Jagger

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 1, 2019 23:04

Apart from the usual sprinkling of music and pop culture historians, this is most likely what history will remember about the 1960s:

How can one compare putting groups of mop-head musicians on The Ed Sullivan Show to putting men on the Moon?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 1, 2019 23:41

Glad the tour is over and postings like this start to populate the front page again.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 1, 2019 23:53

Ok, it's somewhat depressing but it interprets well the tone most of us 'baby boomers' are feeling. I too, feel fortunate to have grown up and older with rock and roll in the background. I like his thesis...that rock and roll is simply defiance against the dying of the light. If that's the case, then let it be. We can listen to, talk about and live rock and roll to our last days. I can accept the 'end of days' coming but we shouldn't let it diminish our enjoyment today...or tomorrow...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 2, 2019 04:07

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 2, 2019 04:08

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 2, 2019 04:40

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

When you look at that...it IS very daunting. I'm 41 and I love all these artists. It's going to be a rough 10-15 years with a lot of mourning, but also celebration. Let's keep in mind that everyone above is currently ALIVE and has left a tremendous musical gift. We're all going to pass at some point, and their achievements should be celebrated.

Date: September 2, 2019 05:14

"Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing
".

(From Macbeth, spoken by Macbeth).

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 2, 2019 05:29

Well, that cheered me right up.

Date: September 2, 2019 05:38

Sorry for that, Carnaby. The caption led me to Shakespeare. Sorry again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 05:39 by Stoneage.

Date: September 2, 2019 07:28

It is their own fault; people like the writer. If you hang on to the same figures and music givers for years and years, and refuse to look beyond. That you limit your horizon. there have been literally generations of greats that have come and gone after all those names. And there are tons of brilliant rockers out there producing great music.
It is not rock'n roll that has changed, but the context of the world around it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 2, 2019 09:45

Well,
To paraphrase Mark Twain , the millions of years before I was born didn't much bother me and the millions after I'm dead won't bother me either...

...and this music will be around whilst ever I'm still alive...so I'm all right jack.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2019 10:25

….. live for the moment … live for now

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 2, 2019 16:06

It really hit me when Bowie died, I remember thinking, it's going to be someone else continually for the next 10-15 years.

It's not so much that they've been active recently, but memories of seeing many of these people live and being pioneers of creating their own brand of rock & roll.

It is really depressing to actually read however what I've already thought about in my own head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 16:07 by kovach.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 2, 2019 16:18

I suppose this happened to the Classical music gods of the day too tho their eventual demise took a couple of hundred years.grinning smiley

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 2, 2019 16:26

I'm just 48 years old, but I grew up with The Beatles and Abba, and even at the young age of nine and a half it hit me hard when Lennon died.

At the age of 13 my musical tastes became broader and I discovered a lot of the artists listed above and their art has been an integral part of my and my friends life ever since.

At first glance, that list was a shock.

My second thought was: How impressive what all these great artists are still giving us. Not just what they achieved during their career, not just all the songs and records they recorded - it's nothing short of a wonder that in 2019 we can watch Dylan and Neil Young in concert (as I did a few weeks ago at Hyde Park and had the best of times) and The Who and The Rolling Stones play great concerts.

So instead of feeling sad about things to come this morning I decided to be thankful for everything I got from these artists and I put on a recent live recording of the Rolling Stones and let it blast through our living room.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 2, 2019 16:44

ROLLINGSTONE
I suppose this happened to the Classical music gods of the day too tho their eventual demise took a couple of hundred years.grinning smiley

One major difference is that Classical music lives on, so works written and composed some 300 years ago are played to packed venues eg Symphony Hall in Birmingham.
It's possible, but somehow I doubt that music written by Mick and Keith will be played at all in 300 years time.Rock 'n roll is still more about the personalities on stage than the actual compositions, imo.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 2, 2019 16:54

Ugh, what a morbidly depressing article. No thank you.

I've done my time dwelling in the depths of nostalgia and grief and it ain't a place I plan to go when my favorite rock artists depart from the planet. People we love die or sometimes just leave, but music endures and so does the human heart. Play it loud, and rock on. Really, what other choice do we have? smileys with beer

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home