Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T: IORRian cycling 2300 miles in 21 days to fundraise for MND/ALS, Amputees & Blood Cancer research...needs help!
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: August 29, 2019 12:45

Hello,

It's almost that silly season again when I attempt a fairly ill-advised cycling challenge in the hope of raising money for a deserving cause or two.

Met Didi The Devil: did get some sympathy from him, hah-hah!

Last year's challenge was to cycle up Alpe d'Huez ten times in a day: it was a fail from me as I only managed eight climbs...BUT we raised over £4000...a lot of which was down to IORRians. A BIG thank you!

That jersey both rocked & rolled & needed a good wash! So did I...

This year's challenge is pretty straightforward but far from easy, starting Friday 20th September:

- cycle out to Gibraltar, solo and unsupported,
- complete the 2300 miles in 21 stages without a rest day,
- er, that's about it!

World's smallest violin time: the daily mileage will average about 110 miles, with around 5,000 feet of vertical. All-in-all it's 2300 miles or the same distance as the Tour de France. So not quite a shoe-in or a cake-walk or anything else resembling a gimme. Which is exactly how we like it, right?

Not quite as the crow flies. Shame, that.

In all honesty I was not going to ride a fundraiser in 2019 but unfortunately a pal of mine was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (ALS by another name) and it has been desperate to see how quickly Dave's condition has worsened. Put bluntly, he and his family are only too well aware that there is still no cure for MND yet: that is why I am keen to raise money for his nominated charity, the Motor Neurone Disease Association.

They fund research and also provide practical help and advice to those suffering from this awful disease. If you can spare the cost of a beer or a coffee, please do click below:

Please donate to fight Motor Neurone Disease...thank you!

I'd also love to help another Great Cause again: BLESMA.
Blesma is the only national Armed Forces Charity that supports limbless veterans for the duration of their lives. They help all serving and ex-Service men and women who have lost limbs or eyes, to rebuild their lives by providing rehabilitation activities and welfare support.

I can't begin to imagine...

Blesma provides a network where Members not only enjoy support from our professional Welfare Team, but where they have the opportunity to engage with others who have similar injuries and backgrounds to themselves, building an important fellowship with each other to overcome everyday battles.

Go on!

If Blesma gets your vote, please please CLICK ON THIS...thank you!

The third charity is Bloodwise and they provide support to people with blood cancers like Leukaemia and Lymphoma, and perhaps more importantly fund ground-breaking research into finding more effective treatments to these awful diseases.

Hmmm...the Wesham Whammer strikes!

Until a couple of years ago, I had never known anyone who had been affected by blood cancer in any of its various types. You might remember that it was on the last day of my ride from Seattle to San Diego that an old pal left me a phone message: Geoff had been diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.

That was September. Well, to cut a long story short, Geoff is still in remission...wow! The very fact that he is is all down to the research that Bloodwise fund: he has still to undergo another stem-cell transplant but the future is a hell of a lot brighter than it once was.

Nice one!

If you think that Bloodwise are worth a couple of shekels, please, please CLICK ON THIS LINK...thank you!

So that's the hard sell, folks: as ever, a big thank you to our host BV for letting me post this (barely) legal harassment, hah-hah! You lot are a generous bunch, so anything you can spare is really appreciated.

Well awriiiight!

Here's those links again:

Bloodwise!

Blesma!

Motor Neurone Disease Association!

As usual, I'll try to keep a blog at the end of each day...it's usually rubbish and does feature some awful music (Stones excepted): Simon's 2019 blog!

All the best,

Simon.

ps best ones to you IORRIans sweating on the Miami show...fingers are crossed for you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-29 13:03 by SimonN.

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling 2300 miles in 21 days to fundraise for MND/ALS, Amputees & Blood Cancer research...needs help!
Date: August 29, 2019 13:36

Good luck, Si!

While I'm waiting for my own stem cells to get back in my system, I can't think of a better pastime than giving a small contribution to Bloodwise.

Drive carefully, mate thumbs up

Re: O/T: IORRian cycling 2300 miles in 21 days to fundraise for MND/ALS, Amputees & Blood Cancer research...needs help!
Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: August 29, 2019 13:44

Good luck on the ride, Simon!

And more and more and more well wishes for DP!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 29, 2019 16:49

Bloodwise it is, in honour of our beloved Dandy - get well soon!

Have a good ride Simon - you’re demented in all the right ways!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 29, 2019 18:33

You're a glutton for punishment! Good luck!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 29, 2019 23:03

Good luck Simon. I really admire your stamina to go on and on with all this good work.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 29, 2019 23:39

You go Simon! I feel blessed everyday but even more on a day when I'm seeing the Stones.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 30, 2019 00:39

You are amazing Simon!
Every year you are doing something for great causes, that needs great physical and psychological strength and I really admire that. thumbs up

Also my Best Wishes go to DP, and hope those stem cells you are waiting for get back into your system as soon as possible.
I will be giving a few quid to each of those great fundraising causes. thumbs up

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 30, 2019 00:42

Done.
Best of luck Simon.

Date: August 30, 2019 10:26

Hi All,

Just wow! I am floored by your generosity folks...it is such a boost during the early stages of fundraising and training, knowing that you ain't wasting your time.

I've messaged those whose e-mails are known, but for everyone else all I can offer is a BIG THANK YOU!

Top people.I'm just off to get some beers in for you...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 2, 2019 11:56

Done. Simon, you are an absolute hero and deserve a knighthood more than Mick, Elton, Paul and all those other musician cats. God bless you and long may you continue your sterling efforts.

Date: September 22, 2019 01:10

Hope it went through O.K. on the first day of this mega Tour that you are doing Simon.
Gotta give this a bump as Simon has done so much over the years for the great causes that will get the money that we are contributing to.
I know the cycling started yesterday and will keep my eyes open on the net to see how your getting on.
My contribution to all three of your 3 efforts will be there soon.
smileys with beer

Date: September 25, 2019 01:04

I have just had a read of Simons' Blog ...……...and I'm just amazed at his cycling adventures every day , on this amazing journey he is doing .
Well done mate for just getting up to this stage of The Tour de Simon , apart from getting to the end of the ride ...…...sometime in October 2019.

Well done Simon and I'm just giving this post a bump so that it gets to see as many people as possible, which is definitely the top website for Rolling Stones fans all over The World. thumbs up

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-25 16:36 by crawdaddy.

Date: September 25, 2019 07:47

Hi Tony,

Wow- just thanks a ton for your super donations...yet again IORR folk lead the way.
Another day about to happen...Ouistreham to Fougeres, I hope!

Very best ones,

Simon.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 25, 2019 09:43

Love the mod bike Simon. Sir Brad would be very pleased. Keep the great work up.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 21:42

Hi Simon.

I only just seen this, will donate soon.

Best of luck as always. thumbs up

Date: October 9, 2019 18:10

Hi Mike,

Top man- you know I appreciate it!

And for all of you lovely IORRians...job done this afternoon!

A massive thank you for all who donated and helped three great causes.

If you can spare the price of a coffee or a beer, then please, please visit the links at...

MND/ALS [www.justgiving.com]

Blood Cancer [www.justgiving.com]

Amputee Veterans [www.justgiving.com]

As ever, I kept a rubbish daily blog of the 20 days. I can honestly say that probably 8 or 9 of those days are the most difficult that I've had on the bike.

Blog is at [llr2019.blogspot.com]

But, it's still only a little, insignificant bike ride and I'm lucky to be able to do it. Anyway, if any of yous is in Gib tonight...I'm buying!

All the best,

Simon.

ps thanks to BV for letting me pollute IORR with all this...top man!

nicholl.simon@gmail.com

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 28, 2019 14:52

Bit late getting round to it, but there you go.

Well done as always. thumbs upsmileys with beerdrinking smiley

Date: October 28, 2019 17:38

Hi Mike,

A great big thank you from me and Bloodwise! Cheers for supporting'n'donating yet again pal, I really appreciate it.

If you're out in the sun, have a cold one for me!

All the best,

Simon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home