Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones and Gram Parsons re: Wild Horses
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 23, 2019 16:15

ok.. at work yesterday a co-worker and I were talking about music, and Gram's name came up.. after talking about his influence and the Byrds, Burritos, etc, he stated:
" you know, 'Wild Horses was his song..'

to which I replied 'No it wasn't!' but Gram did inspire the Stones and contributed to their knowledge of country music, we agreed.

well I've been known to declare opinion as fact sometimes, in a know it all way..

but I think I'm right that Wild Horses was written without Gram's involvement..?

Re: Stones and Gram Parsons re: Wild Horses
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 23, 2019 16:17

Correct, he has zero to do with the writing of it.

I remember we sat around originally doing this with Gram Parsons, and I think his version came out slightly before ours. Everyone always says it was written about Marianne but I don't think it was; that was all well over by then. But I was definitely very inside this piece emotionally. This is very personal, evocative, and sad. It all sounds rather doomy now, but it was quite a heavy time.
- Mick Jagger, 1993

Yeah (it has to do with Marlon's birth),'cause I knew we were going to have to go to America and start work again, to get me off me ass, and not really wanting to go away. It was a very delicate moment, the kid's only two months old, and you're goin' away. Millions of people do it all the time but still ...
- Keith Richards, 1971

I wrote this song because I was doing good at home with my old lady, and I wrote it like a love song. I just had this, Wild horses couldn't drag me away, and I gave it to Mick, and Marianne (Faithfull) just ran off with this guy and he changed it all around but it's still beautiful.
- Keith Richards, December 4, 1969, in Muscle Shoals
Studios, Alabama (from Stanley Booth's
The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones)

[timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-23 16:21 by GasLightStreet.

Date: August 23, 2019 16:20

Many believe it was his song because The Stones let him release it before they did.

But it wasn't, of course. I believe he had more influence musically that might have inspired Mick and Keith to write stuff like Dead Flowers and Torn And Frayed, though.

Date: August 23, 2019 16:30

yes! i pointed that out to him, that they allowed Gram to release a Burritos version of the song first...

a "gift" from them, if I remember Gram's quote right..

true also Bard, about Dead Flowers and Torn and Frayed..

when was 'We Had It All' written? wondering if it was one Gram would have known, or was it written by Donnie Fritts and Troy Seals, after Gram died..?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 23, 2019 16:40

Gram Parsons talks about the first time he heard "Wild Horses" in an interview from March, 1973.
"The first time I heard it was the night after Altamont".

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: August 23, 2019 23:20

This is one of my pet peeves as a Stones fan, namely, that the wider public doesn't recognize Keith's greatness as a musician/song writer. So naturally they believe somebody else wrote this song.
Keith has culvitated this image as a hippy/druggy/riffmaster pirate so succesfully that the public can't see him a great musician.
So when Paul McCartney writes a run of the mill ballad like Let it Be or Hey Jude, that's supposedly genius, but when Keith (with the support around him) comes up with Wild Horses, he doesn't get that recognition.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 24, 2019 00:20

wonderboy
This is one of my pet peeves as a Stones fan, namely, that the wider public doesn't recognize Keith's greatness as a musician/song writer. So naturally they believe somebody else wrote this song.
Keith has culvitated this image as a hippy/druggy/riffmaster pirate so succesfully that the public can't see him a great musician.
So when Paul McCartney writes a run of the mill ballad like Let it Be or Hey Jude, that's supposedly genius, but when Keith (with the support around him) comes up with Wild Horses, he doesn't get that recognition.

Ok, I'm not a huge Beatles fan but to call Let It Be and Hey Jude run of the mill? I'm sure a lot more people in the world know Hey Jude than Wild Horses. Just saw McCartney last month in Vancouver, 40000 people streaming onto the streets after the show ended, large crowds spontaneously breaking out singing Hey Jude!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 24, 2019 22:47

DGA35
wonderboy

Ok, I'm not a huge Beatles fan but to call Let It Be and Hey Jude run of the mill? I'm sure a lot more people in the world know Hey Jude than Wild Horses. Just saw McCartney last month in Vancouver, 40000 people streaming onto the streets after the show ended, large crowds spontaneously breaking out singing Hey Jude!

Let it be and Hey Jude have far more memorable melodies. Hey Jude was based on an old Irish (?) song of course Dear Mr Fantasy (the nanana-chords) but still unique and greater and better songs.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: August 26, 2019 14:02

Deltics
Gram Parsons talks about the first time he heard "Wild Horses" in an interview from March, 1973.
"The first time I heard it was the night after Altamont".

I think Jo Nesbo should put a footnote in his book The Devil's star after listening
to this clip.

(In the book the hero says something about Mick and Keith stealing Wild Horses from Gram).

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-26 15:26 by marcovandereijk.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 26, 2019 14:08

....anyway you slice it...Wonderboy's larger point is accurate... Richards and Jagger both have written some incredible melodies/songs....Angie was a recent example too.....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 26, 2019 15:19

wonderboy

I wish I could write a couple of those "run of the mill" songs!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 09:36

duke richardson
ok.. at work yesterday a co-worker and I were talking about music, and Gram's name came up.. after talking about his influence and the Byrds, Burritos, etc, he stated:

That's wild horsecrap as most should know by now.

Gram didn’t write or co-write any songs with Keith which of course is a mighty shame but it has often been said that he introduced Keith to Nashville tuning which is used to such brilliant effect in Wild Horses. (By the by, while I love a lot of Gram’s work, both solo and with the Burritos, I think his version of Wild Horses sucks.)

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 09:38

Redhotcarpet
DGA35
wonderboy

Let it be and Hey Jude have far more memorable melodies. Hey Jude was based on an old Irish (?) song of course Dear Mr Fantasy (the nanana-chords) but still unique and greater and better songs.

I find it amusing that you always express yourself so coercively, as if you’re the sole authority on Rolling Stones music, when your thinking is pretty third-rate.

Hey Jude and Let It Be (you can throw in stinkers like Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da too) are melody-driven songs - Stones songs generally aren’t. IMO, Wild Horses is better (it's certainly more raw and sincere) than any Beatles song I can think of. The melancholic landscape created by those plaintive guitars and Jagger’s wistful lyrics is a work of unsurpassed genius…even if it’s not a song I’d wanna sing together with a post-concert mob in the parking lot.

Date: August 27, 2019 21:52

Swayed1967
duke richardson

That's wild horsecrap as most should know by now.

Gram didn’t write or co-write any songs with Keith which of course is a mighty shame but it has often been said that he introduced Keith to Nashville tuning which is used to such brilliant effect in Wild Horses. (By the by, while I love a lot of Gram’s work, both solo and with the Burritos, I think his version of Wild Horses sucks.)

well I read that Keith learned the Nashville tuning earlier, from a guitarist in George Jones' band, while on tour in Texas.. and also that the ' Nashville stringing/tuning ' is used on one of the guitars on the intro to Jumpin Jack Flash..

something to think about.

Date: August 28, 2019 17:13

i suppose this should be a separate thread. Sadly, Donnie Fritts has passed away.

[www.facebook.com]

I mentioned him earlier in this thread, he co-wrote 'We Had It All', a great song.

( Keith recorded a beautiful version of it). I wondered if Gram knew of him, of had pointed him out to Keith.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 3, 2019 12:48

duke richardson
... and also that the ' Nashville stringing/tuning ' is used on one of the guitars on the intro to Jumpin Jack Flash..

He said this decades after it was released, but none of the guitars are in that tuning and nor are they all acoustic.

Date: September 3, 2019 13:17

His Majesty
duke richardson
... and also that the ' Nashville stringing/tuning ' is used on one of the guitars on the intro to Jumpin Jack Flash..

He said this decades after it was released, but none of the guitars are in that tuning and nor are they all acoustic.

He's mixing up with Wild Horses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home