Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: East Rutherford #1 show 1-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 2, 2019 21:10

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Most of the reviews posted after the gigs seems to be made by tourist centres. They are all alike. Tributes rather than critical reviews.
If you have read one you have read them all. Fine with me. To each his own. But objective or well written they are not.

There was criticism in this review, both on Mick's singing and Keith's fading guitar skills. Did you miss this?

You're right, Dandy. Didn't read every line. I see that now. I'll give the Expo.nj journalist credits for that. The rest is mostly appraisal though. What is Expo.nj by the way? A tourist centre?

Re: East Rutherford #1 show 1-August-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 2, 2019 21:10

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Most of the reviews posted after the gigs seems to be made by tourist centres. They are all alike. Tributes rather than critical reviews.
If you have read one you have read them all. Fine with me. To each his own. But objective or well written they are not.

There was criticism in this review, both on Mick's singing and Keith's fading guitar skills. Did you miss this?

is music journalism more or less deteriorated than keith's playing skills? that's the question eye popping smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: August 2, 2019 21:22

on a more "serious" note: so following your theory Stoneage, only the criticism is authentic, no genuine appraisal is allowed...

mind that I dont!even care to read those reviews because I do have an abysimal opinion on modern journalism exspecially online (and I work in the field grinning smiley) and I agree with you that most of them are written in autopilot (literally: cut&paste, no background knowledge, mininal research etc etc etc). fact is that I am old enough to remember the "autopilot criticism" against the "strolling bones" on wheelchairs...

so, fair enough, imo, is to celebrate - in some extent and not being blind - a band of granpas rolling pretty good with no wheelchairs and with heart valves replaced..

but no... appraisal must be a delusional lie... smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-02 21:24 by maumau.

Date: August 2, 2019 21:25

maumau
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

is music journalism more or less deteriorated than keith's playing skills? that's the question eye popping smiley smileys with beer

grinning smiley

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: August 2, 2019 21:45

Cristiano Radtke
Stoneage
walterD
Set list:
[imgur.com]

Before the show? Since when did they start with that?

It happened many times before. Some people were
able to get the setlist and posted it on their
Twitter or Facebook accounts. If I'm not wrong
the first time I saw the setlist being posted
before the start of a concert was in Waldbühne 2014.
At least WalterD posted it in a way that only
was visible for those who wanted to see it.

Thanks for the infos and pics, everybody! smileys with beer
Saw it (folks posting stylists) during Licks and I was able to post one on the mid winter stop back in Boston I believe February (cold winter sure it was a Sunday)at Fleetcenter along with Mr. Lawyer as we were both second row and got from one of the lighting guys while he was setting up.

Also got one while I believe his name was Callahan (who later was let go) during B2B B stage stage checkup he was doing and I asked him. Became a friendly face during many US shows after until he was gone.So I know folks get them preshow.

I bet others had during B2B also but with our Nokia candy bar phones of the day and internet I never posted. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-02 21:59 by chevysales.

Date: August 2, 2019 21:46

UGot2Rollme
Just back from show. Did anyone notice Keith was out front on catwalk at beginning of SFM and Mick clearly said "get the @#$%& out of my way!" (half smiling). Not a fan of LSTNT and my vote was for Respectable, so was not as rocking as Philly show I also attended. Though I must say Sweet Virginia was good fun and Mick was on fire for the post-Keith set (before that, I thought things felt rushed). Loving hug between Keith and Mick after the Come on in my Kitchen part of Rambler warmed the heart (they also briefly shared a mic during Dead Flowers). Not sure why Paint it Black seemed to be disappointing folks at beginning of tour but it was one of the high points tonight and crowd loved it.
Great sound and view of all video towers where I was in section 225 across from stage. Gimme Shelter was another highlight but not quite as dramatic as in Philly in the rain. Overall good show - keep on rollin'!

didn't see anything like that from back of Pit 2

Date: August 2, 2019 21:50

doitywoik
Well, people spend a lot of dough, hoping this time there will be a real surprise. And then they find out there isn't. Some may be frustrated.

I don't see the spoiler factor either in posting a set list. You know what to expect from a Stones show these days. Disappointment is not so much a set list that doesn't contain any big surprises but rather a bad performance. And from what little I have seen so far, the performances 2019 are better than, say, No Filter Europe 2017.

Exactly don't look on internet ion one is concerned that much about spoilers. Plus guy linked to it which was very good way of doing it.

look this leg we have choice of 2 openers and few choices here and there. I'm happy I can still see them in concert

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 2, 2019 22:51

I had a wonderful evening last night. Great music and perfect weather.

What more could you ask for?

I'll be back on Monday for another round of the same.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 2, 2019 23:33

custom55

Sometimes less words can say so much.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 3, 2019 00:27

Very true. thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2019 00:34

Yes. smiling smiley

Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: August 3, 2019 00:38

custom55

smileys with beer

Posted by: PalaisRoyale ()
Date: August 3, 2019 01:06

UGot2Rollme
Just back from show. Did anyone notice Keith was out front on catwalk at beginning of SFM and Mick clearly said "get the @#$%& out of my way!" (half smiling).

There clearly is an exchange at the beginning of SFM at the start of the concert. The mic stand and Keith are in the way of Mick when he bursts on to the stage and wants to go down the cat walk. Keith half glares back at Mick then quickly glides back into place. Nothing intentional, just wrong place at the wrong time.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 3, 2019 01:28

caschimann
custom55

Sometimes less words can say so much.

thumbs up

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 3, 2019 02:29

Great sound, visual from my seat.

They still deliver.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 3, 2019 03:06

DandelionPowderman
You knew they were playing She's A Rainbow, Sweet Virginia and Dead Flowers even before the setlist was posted? smoking smiley

Or is a "real surprise" that they pull stuff out of the hat like Mercy Mercy every night?

I didn't but others apparently did.

I guess a "real surprise" is something different for everyone here. For me, "She's A Rainbow" is rather a downer (not exactly my favourite song), thus maybe a surprise but not a welcome one. winking smiley

Another reading of "real surprise" would be a setlits that is altogether *very* different from what they usually play, i.e. a significant bunch of rare songs (preferably songs from their catalogue hardly or never played live before). But that comes in the category of daydreaming, wishful thinking & co. We know it's not going to happen, and when you go to see a show you know that.

Date: August 3, 2019 04:44

doitywoik
DandelionPowderman
You knew they were playing She's A Rainbow, Sweet Virginia and Dead Flowers even before the setlist was posted? smoking smiley

Or is a "real surprise" that they pull stuff out of the hat like Mercy Mercy every night?

I didn't but others apparently did.

I guess a "real surprise" is something different for everyone here. For me, "She's A Rainbow" is rather a downer (not exactly my favourite song), thus maybe a surprise but not a welcome one. winking smiley

Another reading of "real surprise" would be a setlits that is altogether *very* different from what they usually play, i.e. a significant bunch of rare songs (preferably songs from their catalogue hardly or never played live before).pipr But that comes in the category of daydreaming, wishful thinking & co. We know it's not going to happen, and when you go to see a show you know that.

A REAL surprise would be if they played a brand new original song, but we know that's not going to happen until 2023 at the earliest. winking smiley
Another "real surprise" would be if they played a tune that hasn't been played yet this tour and was never even rehearsed, but the chances of that are unrealistically impossible.
Realistically though, a "real surprise" at the half way point of the tour would be if they played a tune that hasn't been played yet and was rehearsed.
Time's running out for that though, but they still have a few rehearsed and/or were lost in the voting process that haven't been played yet.
Live With Me for example would be a great "real surprise" (lol) right about now, but seems they're stuck in their ways down to a 19 song setlist with a few interchanging variables already set in place.

Date: August 3, 2019 05:19

Hairball
A REAL surprise would be if they played a brand new original song, but we know that's not going to happen until 2023 at the earliest. winking smiley

You're absolutely right, of course! smiling smiley I just grew so pessimistic in this respect that I dare not even dream of this any longer. And hopes were high in this respect when the tour started, and considering the fact that they spent the past couple of years recording bits and pieces it wouldn't even have been that unrealistic, in the end, that they would premier at least one new tune. But at this point, no way this would still happen, I think.

But once getting a live version of Slave or Down In The Hole is almost equally unrealistic ...

Hairball
Realistically though, a "real surprise" at the half way point of the tour would be if they played a tune that hasn't been played yet and was rehearsed.

LOL spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I don't even want to imagine what it would sound like if it was hitherto unplayed and unrehearsed ...

Hairball
but seems they're stuck in their ways down to a 19 song setlist with a few interchanging variables already set in place.

Yeah, whatever their original intentions may have been ("surprises") they seem to have decided rather to play it safe, with the variables being part of the overall fixed program. Like someone said in a recent review, it's the Rolling Stones Show.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 3, 2019 05:39

schillid
Great sound, visual from my seat.

They still deliver.
Oh yeah same from my seat. [guess I wasn't in the critics section} Thought it was a great show. The joint was ROCKIN!!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: August 3, 2019 06:45

"Fact is that I am old enough to remember the "autopilot criticism" against the "strolling bones" on wheelchairs...So, fair enough, imo, is to celebrate - in some extent and not being blind - a band of granpas rolling pretty good with no wheelchairs and with heart valves replaced..."

Well said, Maumau. Even I would select the expression "really good" (which doesn't mean perfect, of course) for their performances, in the last two years.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: August 3, 2019 08:10

Hairball
doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

Another "real surprise" would be if they played a tune that hasn't been played yet this tour and was never even rehearsed, but the chances of that are unrealistically impossible.

Nonsense! They already played songs at the US that they didn't play in Europe during No Filter: Mercy Mercy, Sad Sad Sad, no IORR

Date: August 3, 2019 09:04

RollingStonesFan
Hairball
doitywoik
DandelionPowderman

Nonsense! They already played songs at the US that they didn't play in Europe during No Filter: Mercy Mercy, Sad Sad Sad, no IORR

What happened with the quotes here? It looks like you're saying "nonsense" to me grinning smiley

Date: August 3, 2019 09:10

Ha....major quote malfunction...best not to mess it up anymore than it already is!
Meanwhile, are there any other "real surprises" we can hope for on this current leg of the tour? smiling smiley

All that aside, would be nice to see Mercy, Mercy again...and I'd be pleasantly surprised if Keith plays Happy.

Date: August 3, 2019 12:04

LOL! I'm sorry, Hairball! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-03 12:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 3, 2019 13:22

Hairball
Ha....major quote malfunction...best not to mess it up anymore than it already is!
Meanwhile, are there any other "real surprises" we can hope for on this current leg of the tour? smiling smiley

All that aside, would be nice to see Mercy, Mercy again...and I'd be pleasantly surprised if Keith plays Happy.

Keith tried to surprise yall with his new look, but the impact has been disappointing. He may consider breaking out the mustache again. Don't ask for it.

The Rolling Stones - East Rutherford NJ #1 1-August-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 3, 2019 15:10

The Rolling Stones Roar Into New Jersey On No Filter Tour

8/2/2019 by Joe Lynch

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

The Rolling Stones are the quintessential British rock n' roll band, but barring his accent, Mick Jagger could've passed for a local when the Stones played MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Thursday night (Aug. 1).

"This is our 90th show in the tri-state area," Jagger announced to cheers. If his usage of the phrase "tri-state area" wasn't enough to convince you he's actually spent quality time in the region, he also shouted-out iconic Jersey diner Tick Tock -- and in what is sure to finally quash the long-raging debate for good, he referred to eating "Taylor ham" (sorry, pork roll apologists) "with disco fries -- and sloppy joe to go!"

Aside from parading his east coast bona fides, Jagger flaunted an irrepressible energy and vigor that's astonishing not merely from a 76-year-old, but from a 76-year-old just four months out from freakin' heart surgery. This first MetLife show was Mick's tenth date on the rescheduled leg of the No Filter Tour, and there was no holding him back: he pranced, peacocked and gesticulated with as much flair as he's brought to any show in recent memory. And when trading off vocals with an impassioned Sasha Allen during a wind-whipped "Gimme Shelter," you could've closed your eyes and sworn you had time traveled back to 1969.

Similarly, the band's scorching "Midnight Rambler" marathon demonstrated that not only are the Stones at their best when digging their heels into boozy blues-rock, but in 2019, they're just as muscular, technically proficient and enthralling as they were when immortalizing "Rambler" on the classic 1970 live LP Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!. Keith Richards effortlessly scorches the crowd with downright nasty guitar licks, Charlie Watts keeps razor-sharp timing on the drums and Ronnie Wood -- even after 44 years in the band -- still plays with the joy of a kid who's onstage with his rock gods for the first time.

The 21st century Stones might be at their best when stretching out on a good groove, but they're nearly as captivating when playing the stripped-down section of their show, crooning country-tinged classics like "Sweet Virginia" and "Dead Flowers." And ever the consummate entertainers, the demonstrative showmanship doesn’t disappear even when the volume knob goes down.

The evening's "by request" song (one of four you could vote for online) turned out to be the effulgent psych-pop gem "She's a Rainbow," a song that SetList.fm says they've only played 18 times in concert. Ever the cynic, Jagger opined the audience voted for it "because it's been in loads of commercials lately -- that's how it works!"

Likewise, Richards indulged in some affable pessimism when he took the mic for his two-song lead vocal spot: "Time to get a beer," he said with a chuckle. Self-effacement aside, the quality of Richards' "Before They Make Me Run" and "Slipping Away" is enough to prove that even without the Stones, he could have enjoyed a solo career of renown and relevance.

Fifty-five years since their debut LP and still as vital as ever, Jagger and Richards are unlike anything else in rock history. Honestly, we're lucky to have them both -- not merely walking among us, but as capable and invested in entertaining us as ever. With the No Filter Tour, you find out that sometimes, you actually do get what you want.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: August 3, 2019 15:45

Seems like you can't have two things at once. There's no Keith with dyed hair and bandana, and no Keith with natural hair without the bandana. We have the choice between a Keith with natural hair and a bandana or a Keith without bandana but with hair dyed.

But have there been any press comments on Keith's recent hair at all? - Still remembering the headlines from back when Charlie suddenly had a crewcut.

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: August 3, 2019 16:10

This was my second show of the tour (the other being Landover) and my first Lucky Dip experience, and I was not disappointed.

My wife and I ended up in section 111a, which is the side view, but we actually had a great view.

Loved the setlist, probably my favorite one from the five times I’ve seen them. My wife is not a huge Stones fan, but She’s a Rainbow, Sweet Virginia and Dead Flowers are her favorite Stones songs, so she was excited. I love those songs too, so I was equally excited. I’d seen DF before, but that was with Brad Paisley as a guest, so it was good to see just the band playing the song.

If this is the last time I ever see the Stones play, then it was the perfect last concert for me.

- Cam

Posted by: livefromuk ()
Date: August 3, 2019 16:35

chevysales
UGot2Rollme
Just back from show. Did anyone notice Keith was out front on catwalk at beginning of SFM and Mick clearly said "get the @#$%& out of my way!" (half smiling). Not a fan of LSTNT and my vote was for Respectable, so was not as rocking as Philly show I also attended. Though I must say Sweet Virginia was good fun and Mick was on fire for the post-Keith set (before that, I thought things felt rushed). Loving hug between Keith and Mick after the Come on in my Kitchen part of Rambler warmed the heart (they also briefly shared a mic during Dead Flowers). Not sure why Paint it Black seemed to be disappointing folks at beginning of tour but it was one of the high points tonight and crowd loved it.
Great sound and view of all video towers where I was in section 225 across from stage. Gimme Shelter was another highlight but not quite as dramatic as in Philly in the rain. Overall good show - keep on rollin'!

didn't see anything like that from back of Pit 2

Too funny! We were in Pitt 1 and TOTALLY saw it. It wasn’t to Keith though, it was to Ronnie.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 3, 2019 17:57

UGot2Rollme
Just back from show. Did anyone notice Keith was out front on catwalk at beginning of SFM and Mick clearly said "get the @#$%& out of my way!" (half smiling).

I was quite the opposite. This memory is may be the best one from the entire show. First minute of "Street Fighting Man". Keith walks up to start the song. Mick is soon after, pass by Keith, who is on my side i.e. Pit 2 = Keith side. Mick start singing, on his i.e. Ronnie side. Then after half a minute or so Mick is backing up, taking a look at Keith, like you would take a look at your best friend, a loving friendly look, you know a look, like an image, can say more than 1,000 words. It was the look of friendship and trust. Then they played on. There was plenty of space for both up there.

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home