Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Why the hell all the negativity?
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: October 14, 2005 07:36

stuie_mac:

Glad you're enjoying the new record so much. I see it as a grab bag with some terrific highs and a few baffling lows. For me, it's a letdown after "Bridges," but...

The show seems remarkably rote--especially after "Licks." Even the "rarities" aren't so rare and the whole latter half of the set has seemed very mechanical, even when the Stones are knocking them dead.

You think I don't like "Honky Tonk" or "Satisfaction?" Of course I do, but I know that those tunes and the other warhorses are an obligation to the Stones. They say all the time that they don't want to be a nostalgia act and then they rehash the same batch of classic rock radio favorites again and again. I honestly believe that it has hurt the Stones creatively and has helped dampen their desire to do records together.

Anyway, I don't think it's unrealistic or ungrateful to want the Stones to be a little more unconventional than they have been. And wanting that doesn't preclude appreciating the fact that they are still on the road or that they still sound great...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 14, 2005 07:57

geez, Reverand - why such a cogent, coherent and well thought-out post on this thread? Doesn't work....

Date: October 14, 2005 14:22

Good post Rev. That's positive criticism. Hey, I'd love the negative criticism too if it was creatively done (ie) with humour etc.

Hmm. Last night's set-list sucked. They didn't play Back to Zero.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: October 14, 2005 14:24

Probably the sanest response to the whining and bitching I've ever read. Whether proud is a newbie or a veteran, he/she has his/her finger planted firmly on the pulse of the whole deal.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 14, 2005 14:36

Jagger said in '97 that he just sings those songs because people wanna hear them. And "the people" ain't "the fans" as you may know. I don't think it hurts them in any way to play the warhorses. It's good to have some songs that you're certain can knock a whole stadium off it's feet. And why would it dampen their desire to make albums? I think it gives them more juice.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Wolter ()
Date: October 14, 2005 14:46

Be a fan for more than 10 years and become cynical.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: October 14, 2005 14:47

First of all, welcome to the-one-who-is-proud-of-his/her-tatooed-arm!

About the negativity, I only find it as a result of the love for the Stones we all share, so I don't find it negative at all, I find it criticism. Somebody said it's a result of the high hopes we all have in this band, as a result of having had emotions like you had at your first Stones gig, or by listening to a certain boot, or by watching a certain video... All criticism I see here is a result of our love for the band, so I wouldn't call it negativity...

Rev. wrote:

>You think I don't like "Honky Tonk" or "Satisfaction?" Of course I do, but I >know that those tunes and the other warhorses are an obligation to the Stones. >They say all the time that they don't want to be a nostalgia act and then they >rehash the same batch of classic rock radio favorites again and again. I >honestly believe that it has hurt the Stones creatively and has helped dampen >their desire to do records together.

Those are well-thought words, mate. I would add, however, that if warhorses were treated with some kind of a new twist, they would satisfy both casual and hardcore fans. I mean, play an acoustic Honky Tonk Women (which they have already released as Country Honk), for example, and everybody would be happy...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 14, 2005 15:24

I wasn't negative and whining in Montreal Jan '03. Me and my wife got the concert time of our lives! Every "casual fans" (what the hell this expression REALLY means in this day and age I don't know...) got their warhorse candies, and WE got Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with a Ron that was "on"), Rocks Off, Sweet Virgina, Monkey Man, Slipping Away, Mannish Boy, etc., etc.
I wasn't negative and whining either when I got Four Flicks a bit later on. I never missed a chance to "sell" it to family and friends, and this is one of the very best entertainment purchases (value for money's worth) we gave the household in many recent years.
The Forty Licks tour gave lots of fans on this board many reasons to cheer their favorite band.
But now those concerts aren't getting exactly any cheaper, and we just would like to be kept satisfied, and the Stones not to turn Vegas.
What's wrong with that?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-14 19:14 by Odd-beat.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 14, 2005 16:29

Proudofmy...,

People who feel lost when there comes an unknown tune I strongly dislike. I have seen them everywhere. I want my Stones to mean something today, not just being a field day for lukewarm fans revisiting their youth. I have even been laughed at when grooving to an unknown tune. I have seen people sitting up in a tree, of all places, just waiting for the warhorses to come. One of the great things about going to concerts, is not knowing exactly what comes.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 14, 2005 18:57

The best way to handle negativity is to ignore it. Some people are here with negativity just to make a bad day for normal Stones fans. Some are bored. Some are drunk. Some are hooked up in the past. Just ignore it. Like you do when you meet a guy on the street who complain about high tax rates and politicians and the weather and whatever. Ignore it.

But if the negativity goes to far, into attacking individuals, band members or the group, then tell then you don't agree. Tell them to go home and seek help. Because negativity is killing. Every time you are negative you reduce your lifetime. So it is really self-destructing.

Life is too short to worry about set lists and where guitar picks are flying. Get a life and enjoy the shows! PS. The IORR no. 53 magazine just mailed out now so that is why I am so relaxed...

Bjornulf

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:01

i reserve the right to bitch and moan...hopefully with a sense of humour

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:19

bv:

>>Like you do when you meet a guy on the street who complain about high tax rates and politicians and the weather and whatever. Ignore it.<<

What if this guy is right after all? What's wrong with information? We should shut up when screwed up by politicians?

Posted by: stuie_mac ()
Date: October 15, 2005 00:22

The brown stuff>>>a good dose or a good ol piece of CDN cheddar. Take yer pic. Congrats on the magazine Bjornulf.

peace all and can't wait for Beantown 06

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home