Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why the hell all the negativity?
Date: October 14, 2005 01:44

First of all I am a very newly christened Stones fan, newly as in, prior to Sept 3 in Moncton I probably only would have recognized a half dozen tunes, and had never seen a show, maybe never even saw a Stones video clip or video.

That day though, is one I will never forget, I was blown away, absolutely one of the most powerful experiences of my life, 86,000 people, ranging in age from 15 to 70, all rocking together, just having a blast, screwing the daily grind, work, worries, all the other crap, out the window, just a bunch of people gathering together and letting it all hang. The way a concert should be, and exactly what the Stones provided, and have made an art of, created something that all other music artists, bar none aspire to achieve someday, they are truly living gods. I became a Stones freak, right then and there at that show, just a week afterwards, I decorated myself, my first tattoo, Micks lips right smack dab on my left biceps, and I'm damn proud of that patch of red and black real estate and show it to anybody, now listening to the Stones, surfing Stones, and buying Stones... well, that's my addiction, my passion (along with my wife and family). Those who have seen a show and are true fans understand, those who haven't witnessed the spectacle, I feel truly sorry for and hope that they don't let an opportunity pass them by, those with negative things to say, I say I have no time for that and you have no heart.

I just can't understand why anyone would waste their time coming on here bitching and whining about things like, let's say... setlists! That just makes no sense to me, people go to a concert to have a great time, the Stones provide that, people love hits, people want to hear the hits, people want to know the songs, to sing and dance, that's what makes it what it is, the Stones know what people want and they deliver in spades. I agree 100%, there are some real gems that they don't play, but the fact is, most people don't delve that deep into their catalogue, hell, they have what? 400 plus songs in total? How many people know more than 40 or 50 very well? A band plays a song that only a few hundred out of a crowd of tens of thousands knows? What happens then? 99% of people don't know the song, the vibe dies, people just stand around and look at each other, maybe move a bit and pretend they're still in it... but they're not, they're lost.

Bottom line, the Stones know what they're doing, and I'm sorry it took so long for me to get to the point, but all this criticism just pisses me off, it's senseless, second-guessing the guys who are at the absolute top of the rock mountain? Seems pretty friggin' stupid to me, kind of makes the gum flappers look like tools don't you think? If you can't just sit back and enjoy the ride, then quit wasting your time, my time and everybody else's and get the hell off, let the rest of us just enjoy!

Finally, done... I think : )

Re: Why the hell all the negativity?
Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 14, 2005 01:49

Everybody here has the right to state their opinion- You dont have to read the more critical posts do you? Why the crusade?

Talkin bout the....

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 14, 2005 01:54

I totally agree with the first speaker!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 14, 2005 01:54

There is a lot of negativity & hostility here (as well as thoughtful criticism, humor, etc), & it can be off putting - to me. I don't see Proud's post as a crusade.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:00

Thank you -- that was beautiful.

It's like this -- we have a few professional trolls on this board whose main purpose in life is to bitch, whine and moan. Perversely, they pride themselves in it.

They are the "Chicken Littles", and you just gotta shrug your shoulders and move on.

(Shrill voice -- "where's my new stuff, my old stuff and everything in between! I don't like it! I don't like it at all! The sky is falling! The sky-- is-- FALLing!")

LOL -- medication time

Posted by: 2000 LIGHT ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:06

Mickael Coln is that you???

Nice to meet you

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:19

hey lips, why are YOU bitching about the bitching. isn't that considered bitching???

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:21

The fans are bored with their lives so they pick on the STONES to make their
NEGATIVITY,they must be gettin paid by the beatles fans,the joke is on guys,
as i say grow up and live in the real world,STONES have done what they feel
is right for the BAND for the last 40YEARS so get use to it.
STONES ARE WAY OF LIFE AND THE BEST.LONG LIVE THE STONES.KISH

Posted by: rainhog ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:26

hey "PROUD",

well said! Couldn't agree w/ you more.

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:28

No negativity here>>>>>>>>>>.

Posted by: bat _outta_hell ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:35

JJflash__lol semantics.

I think lips did a great job of expressing his/her opinion.
And probably the opinion of many nouveau fans.

I think sometimes some of you veterans....and true connoisseurs
of a great many bands, the instruments, the chords, the everything
to do with music, expect others to see things through your eyes.

Just keep in mind, you are much more well versed in this subject
than most.

Darn, I think that was a backhanded compliment..lol

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 14, 2005 02:48

proudofmylipstattoo, do you prefer 'proud' or 'lips' for short?

Posted by: Bluespeyer ()
Date: October 14, 2005 03:00

First of all, I don't take it as negativity. I see it as interesting and often insightful comments and criticisms by people who know enough about the band to discuss such things.

Secondly, I'm seriously offended that someone who has seen ONE show and just a few weeks ago didn't know the Stones from a pimple on his ass comes in here and tells people to "get the hell out and quit wasting my time."

Sorry, dude, but you're wasting MY time. Come back when you have something knowledgeable to add about the band.

-- Keep on rollin'. Keep on. Keep on. Keep on. --

Date: October 14, 2005 03:32

Most of the criticism on this board is unfortunately superficial (ie) about setlists, Mick Taylor's exit 1000 years ago, why they won't do Sway more often, and so on - we forget that the Stones have a great new album out and that they are on tour. What else could anyone want within the realm of reality?

The negative posters are too predictable. Please criticize in more depth so that we can learn from it.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: October 14, 2005 03:47

Hey proud you need to relax a bit, why is it that some of us expressing our opinions as to how the stones are ripping their fans off, by playing basically the same shit every night, by charging outreageous prices for tickets, and merchandise, and releasing crap as is the new dvd,cd. Why is this wasting your time?
If everyone in this board would be as closed minded as you then l guarantee that it would not be as popular as it is (the board).
State your opinion but don't get upset if others feel different.
its called democracy.
Have good night

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: October 14, 2005 04:13

Good points, proudofmylipstattoo.

Some people love nagging as an end in itself...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 14, 2005 04:19

hey Proud - you have an absolute right to your opinion, as wrong as it may be. Now....please shut the hell up.

Posted by: Space ()
Date: October 14, 2005 05:02

I love it when people try to impose their views on others thinking that they have some right to direct how free speech should be administered. I think its great that people have the right to bitch, write whiney complaining posts (like this one), and dream up great setlist- etc...
Never forget, the day we stop questioning, and ostrasize those that do is the day when we elect an ass for a president and get involved in some politically motivated war... Wait, too late, that already happened-

Talkin bout the....

Posted by: stuie_mac ()
Date: October 14, 2005 05:26

Moncton Rocked. Brian Jones rocked. Mick TAylor Rocked...so does Ronnie. Stones Rock. the two shows I saw this tour rocked (specially Moncton) as did the last 5 tours i went to. Bjornulf's board Rocks. Negativity and self righteousness...well that just sucks.

Date: October 14, 2005 05:28

Ah, Stuie! You were on such a roll there - how come negativity and self righteousness don't rock, too?! Please?

Date: October 14, 2005 05:30

ok...self righteousness can be alright in small doses...just like the brown stuff.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: October 14, 2005 05:42

Doesn't it actually go without saying that we all love the Stones' work?

The "negativity" is about having high standards and high hopes for the Stones. Think of it as "informed criticism."

Being deeply disappointed in the Stones' current lack of freshness and daring didn't keep me from "rockin' out, dude" at the shows I've seen thus far.

I don't have any apologies to make to anyone who is threatened by a (semi)serious discussion of the band's musical virtues and vices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-14 05:43 by Rev. Robert W..

Date: October 14, 2005 05:44

stuie_mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok...self righteousness can be alright in small
> doses...just like the brown stuff.

bless you

Date: October 14, 2005 06:03

"currrent lack of freshness?"...a 16 track album with one throw away and a band who pour their heart and soul into every single show (at least that i have seen)...spend countless hours/months preparing to be bigger and better every tour AND deliver those goods? So they charge a wack of cash...people pay it. So they dont change the whole setlist up every night...people still come. What die-hard wouldn't love to hear jigsaw/sway/criss cross mind/silver train/crazy mama...maybe the simple fact of the matter is that they have rehearsed all those nuggets (which they did) so they can throw out one here and there (like they have been doing) and play the tunes that most know...and they do rock...the place explodes when they do that. I spent the last two years lurkin in these boards and prayin that the Stones would tour again and read a great many cool threads discussing what eveeryone loves about this band...will they tour again? Hear they are getting together to record? Charlies got throat cancer??? And then the buzz accelerates and wham...May 9th. Album. Tour. Unbelieveable that these guys would even consider it with the cash in hand/legacy secured/families to finally spend time with. Last tour the old jokes were just that...old...old and cheap really. Don't hear too much of that this tour though do we...all I have heard and read out there thus far is things like "unstoppable" "Still go it". "Amazing". "No Oldies revival here". So its all good out there...want some bashin and trashin. Just stop by yer local fan board and git yer fill. High hopes and high standards is one thing Rev but c'mon man...lately there is a lot of NAG-a-tivity on here...not out there...on here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-14 06:05 by stuie_mac.

Date: October 14, 2005 06:06

oh, it's out "there" too - you just need to get out more.

Date: October 14, 2005 06:08

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh, it's out "there" too - you just need to get
> out more.

No..bless you.

Date: October 14, 2005 06:12

seriously, though...I think the board represents the Stones fan community quite well. I know several Stones fans who don't post on this site (or any of the others, either) - and they are somewhere between "rah-rah" and "negative."

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 14, 2005 06:34

A lot of blessing going on.
What is the brown stuff in small doses? Mexican Mud?

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: October 14, 2005 06:55

Hey Proud:

Congratulations. I hope that you can get a fraction of the enjoyment from the stones that I have. There's a lot out there. Now get to work.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: October 14, 2005 07:27

The set list sucks, new dvd and coming Cd sucks whats your problem?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 943
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home