Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Beast Of Burden and Jumping Jack Flash
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 13, 2005 13:26

I've been trying to figure these 2 songs out for guitar. Beast Of Burden in standard tuning- I can't get the main-riff to sound like Keith. I know I'm not Keith, but watching video's he plays something different. Would someone care to explain?

And Jumping Jack Flash in open G, the live version like Keith plays it nowadays. I got it in open E from the original, but I like Keith's open G sound better. I've got it pretty much, open G, 6th off, capo at 4th, and I got the chords right, open at the 4th(I know he does a variaton of that, I got that too) and at the 7th with the 5 string ringing open(sounds dirtyer, try that), but it doesn't sound quite like Keith yet. It's sounds like Keith is doing some odd hammer-ons or pull off's or something.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Beast Of Burden and Jumping Jack Flash
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 13, 2005 18:40

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been trying to figure these 2 songs out for
> guitar. Beast Of Burden in standard tuning- I
> can't get the main-riff to sound like Keith. I
> know I'm not Keith, but watching video's he plays
> something different. Would someone care to
> explain?

The studio version goes like this (at least I do it this way)

You start with a B chord at the 7th fret (should be an upstroke, right?) on the following downstroke you hammer on the E chord, always at the 7th fret.

Then you go back to the B and slide two frets to the C#m

The last bit is keith's fave tm E to A hammer on

Recently live I see that keith plays the B // E part at the 4th fret (exactly the same opening chord work he does on the ya ya's version of devil)

C

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 14, 2005 18:58

Hey Liddas, I hadn't tried 'Beast' the way you describe it here (More like the last line of your post) but I'll give it a go and see how it sounds. By the way, to my ears at least Keith starts 'Sympathy' by holding an E sus2 chord triad at the 9th fret of the A, D and G strings and hammering on from the 9th fret on the A string to the 11th fret (F# of G#) followed in quick order by a seccesion of hammers and pulls starting at the 9th fret A string, E to F#, 9th fret D string, B to C#, and then to the E at the 9th fret of the G string.He then plays a similiar pattern two frets down for the D chord and then down to an A, Asus4. I know this is not the most adequate description as I dont have my guitar with me but I'm your you can make some sense from it. Please try it and let me know what you think and I'll try your rendering of 'Beast of Burden'! have a great weekend all and enjoy any show you go to!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:06

I don't have my guitar here, neither, but the way I play SFTD seems quite similar as yours, ChrisM.

BTW, as we are on guitar tricks, I've tried to find the descending licks Taylor plays on YCAGWYW while on the chorus, you know: "You Can't Always Get What You Waaaaant-- descending lick". I've tried basing on the helpful hints you boys gave me for the Brown Sugar licks, and I find I'm relatively near getting it, but if anybody can help it would be great.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 14, 2005 19:20

Bruno! How's it going? I was one of those that responded to your 'Brown Sugar' inquiry. Regarding YCAGWYW, what Mick is doing there is playing octaves. Here
is one way to do it:

play G string at 9 and E string at 12(2times)
play G string at 7 and E string at 10(2 times)
play G string at 5 and E String at 8 (2 times)
play D string at 7 and B string at 10 ( 2 times)
play D string at 5 and B string at 8

The same thing but perhaps easier fingering:

play D string at 14 and E string at 12(2times)
play D string at 12 and E string at 10(2 times)
play D string at 10 and E String at 8 (2 times)
play D string at 7 and E string at 5 ( 2 times)
play D string at 5 and E string at 3

Date: October 14, 2005 19:24

CHrisM, yep, mate, thanks for the help on Brown Sugar. About YCAGWYW I play something similar to what you explained here, as I wasn't so far of getting it. I'll try it this way, then.

Maybe I'm lacking some Vibrato to make it sound good? grinning smiley

Date: October 14, 2005 20:22

- THE FINAL WEAPON -

I just got a yamaha slg 100s (the "Silent guitar") to keep in the office and play around a bit when on a break!!!

So here we go.

Chris: you might be right on sympathy - it works!

Bruno & Chris: to which version of YCAGWYW are you referring to?

C

Date: October 14, 2005 20:48

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > - THE FINAL WEAPON -
>

LOL! Good name, liddas

YCAGWYW: any 72 live version. Sing with me: You Can't Always Geeet What you Waaaaaant" and just here Taylor plays this lick (while Keith holds the "F" chord).

Date: October 14, 2005 20:58

I can't sing!

But sure this bastard plays damn well!

C

Date: October 14, 2005 21:01

If you can't sing, whistle, then!

This bastard plays damn well: who?? Taylor or Chris?? For sure Chris must have some Vibrato!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 14, 2005 21:15

On Beast, try either sliding one fret into the E or hammering down the ring finger over the D, G, and B strings (also on the E chord) to get Keith's feel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home