Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: What comes after the usa tour?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 12, 2019 09:13

babyblue
I guess one song on list is The Last Time?

Well, if they want to be a bit less than subtle about it, and we find them playing The Last Time as the encore in Miami on 31st August ... then one possible interpretation would be "thanks, it's been great, but we're outa here" ... and that would be that !

They came, they conquered, and then they left the stage ...for ever !

Personally, hope it doesn't happen, but the final final final bow can't be far away !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 12, 2019 09:43

Another greatest-hits compilation; another live DVD set (50 different live Tumblin' Dices as only song(s), word is); reissues of reissues in one package titled Sticky Exile Girls (with enclosed tongue-logo papeterie); another photo/oral-history coffee-table book; a Primitive Cool reissue (to keep up with Keith). Finally a reissue of the Hurricane CD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 09:48 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 12, 2019 11:11

beachbreak
No way Keith throws in the towel.

Not to retire completely but to call an end to the Stones live, maybe he would find it more fulfilling and creative to do some solo shows for a change, play some of Crosseyed Heart etc.

I believe Keith has already said this is the last tour to the band, he sounded very disillusioned with Micks progress on the so called new album reading between the lines in a couple interviews a while ago, i think he will make one last solo album after this tour and play some Wino's gigs, maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

These are my personal opinions, i am only guessing, nothing official, i'm not an insider like so many on iorr..

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 12, 2019 14:08

MisterDDDD
StonedRambler
MisterDDDD
StonedRambler
I don't get why so many think they will do residencies at one venue. There are more exausting things that a one hour flight in a private jet every three days.
Lots of obvious advantages to doing residencies that have nothing to do with flight times
What are the advantages of doing residencies?

Seriously?
Even if they don't pack/unpack their personal belongings themselves, or the gear, or the stage, or the instruments, et al., they have to pay a crew to do it.
If you look at the grossings of the last tour, I don't think they have any problem to pay a crew.

Contrast walking from a hotel room to a private elevator that takes you to the venue (ala Vegas) or a short drive from your own place or hotel in Manhattan, or London etc.. with the ride to an airport, waiting for take off, flight, then another drive and settling in/unpacking at yet another hotel, assuming there were no weather delays etc.
Add in the comfort of being back in your room or home minutes after a show with nothing to do but get ready for the next one where the stage and sound and lights are set.
Obviously the financials are much better when your not paying to transport the gear as well as the crew (plus lodging) that you wouldn't need a fraction of.
Not to mention the savings in promotional/marketing costs etc for the different cities. Doing residencies, provided you can sell them out like they could, would enable them to keep prices obtainable (not necessarily affordable) for the smaller venues.
I don't think the Stones have too much stress on tour. Everything is done for them these days (which is a good think because it lets them focus on the music) But that's why I don't think the 15min drive to the venue and back and a 1 hour flight every three days really matters to them. We also know that at least Mick and Ronnie like to go out and do some sightseeing in every town.
Yeah, with the crew might be a point. But if you think about the size of an arena (around 20000) and the size of a stadium (60-80000) they would have to play three to four concerts in one venue to get the gross of a stadium show. So stadium shows are more effective cost-wise.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 12, 2019 14:32

Title5Take1
Another greatest-hits compilation; another live DVD set (50 different live Tumblin' Dices as only song(s), word is); reissues of reissues in one package titled Sticky Exile Girls (with enclosed tongue-logo papeterie); another photo/oral-history coffee-table book; a Primitive Cool reissue (to keep up with Keith). Finally a reissue of the Hurricane CD.

Hope none of the above.
Jeroen

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 12, 2019 17:10

We'll see but Keith was always the guy comparing himself to the old bluesmen.

Winos sounds great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-12 17:11 by beachbreak.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 12, 2019 17:22

beachbreak

Winos sounds great.

I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Chuck here in Atlanta back in the early 80s. Even then, people such as myself were asking the question, "How much longer?"

I'll never forget Chuck's reply: "Man, THOSE guys will NEVER quit."

How long did Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, etc. keep going? I think they feel a kinship with the earliest pioneers of blues, rock, and R&B. I see smaller venues, only playing a few times a year, but still going at least for a little longer.

Now, as to a new album of original material.......I see them opening the vaults soon and putting out some vintage unreleased tracks. Then they could add in two or three new tunes without having to come up with an entire album.

That prediction and a dollar will get you an ice cream.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 12, 2019 17:33

StonedRambler

I don't think the Stones have too much stress on tour. Everything is done for them these days (which is a good think because it lets them focus on the music) But that's why I don't think the 15min drive to the venue and back and a 1 hour flight every three days really matters to them. We also know that at least Mick and Ronnie like to go out and do some sightseeing in every town.
Yeah, with the crew might be a point. But if you think about the size of an arena (around 20000) and the size of a stadium (60-80000) they would have to play three to four concerts in one venue to get the gross of a stadium show. So stadium shows are more effective cost-wise.

I believe I misunderstood the premise of the question.
Thought the discussion was what's next, as in after the stadium tours. Also believe the question of potential residencies has been answered. By them. They will rock the big stage and the big money until they stop it appears. Residencies and smaller venues would be a natural digression, less stress, less physicality, and yes, less money. But artistically it would enable them to continue.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 12, 2019 17:51

beachbreak

Winos sounds great.

Just when Keith seems washed up he look's revitalized a couple months later, i think you are right, he will continue into his 80's playing and singing, Keith can, he's not the athlete, he doesn't have to jump around trying to look like a younger man to impress the teenyboppers , he is authentic and is still creative when he gets away from Micks wall.

Keith looking sharp for 76 this year.
[twitter.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 12, 2019 17:54

Death and taxes.

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: June 12, 2019 19:36

All this talk about this being the final tour makes me nostalgic for the 1792 tour - we were all very young at the time, oh, how I long for those days.....

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 12, 2019 20:50

I too saw them in 1972,incredible.

I wish I looked and felt now like I did then, but I'm a better guitarist now!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 12, 2019 21:56

spiderman
All this talk about this being the final tour makes me nostalgic for the 1792 tour - we were all very young at the time, oh, how I long for those days.....

>grinning smiley<

LOL!!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 12, 2019 22:50

What I find ironic is that Paul McCartney is touring more than ever these days! I know his backup band is a lot younger than him but still to be playing upwards of 2 1/2 -3 hours a night must be exhausting. I'll be seeing him again in a few weeks.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: June 12, 2019 22:56

Spiderman - the 1792 tour!, man they have been touring a long time

Posted by: Hendrik ()
Date: June 12, 2019 23:51

No need to speculate what they do next...we all know now, that we are all very lucky that we still can see them...
17 shows are coming up so if you want to see them, see them in the next 2 months.
No guarantees after that...

Hendrik

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: June 13, 2019 05:31

DGA35
What I find ironic is that Paul McCartney is touring more than ever these days! I know his backup band is a lot younger than him but still to be playing upwards of 2 1/2 -3 hours a night must be exhausting. I'll be seeing him again in a few weeks.

Me too, my first time.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 13, 2019 15:06

If they hobbled onto the stage and delivered studious, restrained renditions of their greatest songs [like a lot of old "nostalgia" acts do ], then it would be time to quit.

But they don't . They still come out full of energy & attitude, all guns blazing.

That can't go on for ever...but, from my selfish point of view, it's when they can't do that any more that they should retire...and not before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-14 09:57 by Spud.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 14, 2019 00:34

Spud
If they hobbled onto the stage and delivered studious, restrained renditions of their greatest song [like a lot of old "nostalgia" acts do ], then it would be time to quit.

But they don't . They still come out full of energy & attitude, all guns blazing.

That can't go on for ever...but, from my selfish point of view, it's when they can't do that any more that they should retire...and not before.

smileys with beerhot smiley
Jeroen

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: June 14, 2019 01:00

An album and retirement.

Posted by: Bobberian ()
Date: June 14, 2019 03:20

There may not be a tour but I do not believe they will retire .
Retirement means that you only have one major event left.

Bob
“All dried up dying to get wet”

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 14, 2019 03:59

rbp
An album and retirement.
And album and a world tour supporting the album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2019 08:21

keithsman
I believe Keith has already said this is the last tour to the band..

No.

He said, "Maybe this will be the last one, I don’t know." At the time it seemed he was suggesting the last stadium tour.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: June 14, 2019 10:13

GasLightStreet
keithsman

No.

He said, "Maybe this will be the last one, I don’t know." At the time it seemed he was suggesting the last stadium tour.

[www.rollingstone.com]

He was just paraphrasing The Last Time. Classic Keith smiling smiley

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: June 14, 2019 13:52

60 & Counting Tour

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: June 14, 2019 14:04

keithsman

First quoted in 1964 by various members, Charlie Watts "I got off the plane after the tour in 1972 and said no f@#king more" fast forward 47 years lol

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 14, 2019 15:14

Maybe we've got Shirley to thank for the band being around these last 40 years or so...

...perhaps poor old Charlie gets nagged back onto the road grinning smiley

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: June 14, 2019 16:54

Exhibitionism comes to Groningen next year.

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: June 14, 2019 18:00

Japan! Hopefully. grinning smiley

Posted by: vlaci66 ()
Date: June 14, 2019 20:34

10-15 ( stadium) shows every year...

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home