Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith interview - Toronto Sun, June 7
Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 9, 2019 03:03

HMS
This is business. No promoter/investor would offer the the Stones who demand a million/bandmember a contract without a warhorse-heavy setlist guaranted. If we are lucky they will throw in a few gems rarely heard before but I don´t bet on that. Crazy Mama, Lies, Just My Imagination, something like that, hardly anything from SW, VL, BTB, ABB imo. No chance for new unreleased songs, imo. They will of course stick to the concept that has been successful for the last 30 years. Keith is talking much when he has a microphone in front of his face and not all what he says becomes real. They are not going to change the setlist very much each night, not at their age, not with an audience demanding warhorses, not with promoters demanding warhorses, not with their rather limited musical skills. Be happy with what you get and stay away if you dont appreciate their formula. It´s about money and not about the wishes of some die-hard fans.

I'm not so sure about that. I think the promoters would be happy if the Stones mixed up their setlist with more odd songs and rarities. Many people who have seen the Stones before would be more interested in seeing them if the setlist was more interesting. It's not true that 90% of the audience only wants to hear Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter.

But it dosen't matter at this point anyway, they're too old to start re-learning rare songs and they should just stick to the regular setlist to avoid mistakes and trainwrecks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 03:10 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Slimreaper ()
Date: June 9, 2019 03:06

At this stage in the game No promoter...Nobody.. tells The Rolling Stones what songs they "need to play".I doubt anyone ever has.Can you imagine after 57 years some suit telling Keith...You need to play these songs ...or what ?

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: June 9, 2019 05:20

I find it interesting that as more time passes without a new album .. each interview / article has the time frame in it being shorter and shorter. Now we are at .. 'recording the album since 'February'(....?).

At this point I thought they were recording this thing over three or four years.
By this latest article's revelation to all of us it has only been three or four months .. .. (my bad). By next year at this time they will have only been recording the thing for a few weeks ... ..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-09 05:22 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 9, 2019 05:52

HMS
This is business. No promoter/investor would offer the the Stones who demand a million/bandmember a contract without a warhorse-heavy setlist guaranted. If we are lucky they will throw in a few gems rarely heard before but I don´t bet on that. Crazy Mama, Lies, Just My Imagination, something like that, hardly anything from SW, VL, BTB, ABB imo. No chance for new unreleased songs, imo. They will of course stick to the concept that has been successful for the last 30 years. Keith is talking much when he has a microphone in front of his face and not all what he says becomes real. They are not going to change the setlist very much each night, not at their age, not with an audience demanding warhorses, not with promoters demanding warhorses, not with their rather limited musical skills. Be happy with what you get and stay away if you dont appreciate their formula. It´s about money and not about the wishes of some die-hard fans.

I've never heard of a band having stipulations in their contract regarding the setlist before. (But then there are many things I haven't heard of.)

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 9, 2019 07:43

Well they pulled out She's A Rainbow a few times recently. Guess it wasn't too much a disaster since they decided to make a single out of it.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 9, 2019 08:38

My translation is there will be some surprises. This is good news.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 9, 2019 14:55

Mick only sings about 17 songs, and they've got about 10-11 from Hot Rocks and 5 from Rewind that they feel they "have to play" and they like to put a Blue & Lonesome number in or LARS or YGMR or something. They need to play more songs if they want to experiment, and they won't.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 9, 2019 15:18

Dont get your hopes up too much. Chicago 1 is likely to get 1 rare song. After that they will drop it.
Jeroen

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 9, 2019 15:56

peoplewitheyes
Or just that Keith is rambling with the usual bs. Let's be honest people, we know what songs we're gonna get. It's not going to be a radical, fresh set list. But it sure as hell will be fun if you're there.

Yup.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 9, 2019 15:57

HMS
This is business. No promoter/investor would offer the the Stones who demand a million/bandmember a contract without a warhorse-heavy setlist guaranted.

I very much doubt promoters have a say in setlists. The Stones only promise them to show up on time, be a functional working musical unit, and play for a certain amount of time.
That's about the only thing they're legally contracted with promoters. After that if they wanna play "Jah Is Wonderful" for 75 minutes and start a riot they can... grinning smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 9, 2019 16:00

More than ever, completely conciliatory journalist, no risky questions, and always the same banalities ...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 9, 2019 16:12

powerage78
More than ever, completely conciliatory journalist, no risky questions, and always the same banalities ...

thumbs up

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: June 9, 2019 21:06

I like when they bring out a guest to help on a rare cut, like when they had Buddy Guy join them for "Champagne and Reefer" in Milwaukee in 2015. When I was in New Orleans for Jazzfest this year, ahem, not seeing the Stones, I saw Alvin Youngblood Hart do a great version of "Child Of The Moon" at a late night set at Chickie Wah Wah. Some drop ins like that on deep cuts would be killer!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 9, 2019 21:59

So, Doitywoik, perhaps those of us who found some of Keith's comments in his bio " LIFE" offensive would like to hear MORE of that kind of praise for Mick's abilities as frontman. I know I still feel a bit bruised by the intimate crap he shared ( which, according to Jerry Hall were totally untrue) and maybe we should be more forgiving because apparently Mick is over it. I happen to appreciate those who refrain from airing dirty laundry and personal things that should never be revealed, no matter how many more copies your book may sell as a result of the revelations. I guess you can't help but have a favorite Stone...and it can get nasty having two " camps"....Mick Camp & Keith camp...I thought I was being pretty gentle by using the word " finally"....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 9, 2019 23:21

KRiffhard
powerage78

thumbs up

it's a give and take. Keith's answers are even worse than the questions. But this is hardly journalism. It's advertising.
And one has to bear in mind that the average reader of the Toronto Sun cares very little about other information than the fact that they are coming to town.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 10, 2019 00:21

Not only about Toronto Sun off course.
Never a question about Keith playing for example, as if nothing had changed about that since a few years. A taboo subject.

Yes just advertising.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: June 10, 2019 01:32

If they want to mix up the setlist they will, if they don't they won't. Most people going are going to see 1 show, yes just one. They want to see certain songs and will be disappointed if they don't. People on here are the exception, the band's setlist is not for us.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: June 10, 2019 01:55

daspyknows
If they want to mix up the setlist they will, if they don't they won't. Most people going are going to see 1 show, yes just one. They want to see certain songs and will be disappointed if they don't. People on here are the exception, the band's setlist is not for us.

Unfortunate but very true.

Date: June 10, 2019 01:58

daspyknows

The fans are an exception? So, they do not play for the fans? What the fans want is irrelevant? Okey, time for the fans to go on strike then. Fans of the Rolling Stones unite!
We demand less predictable setlists! Did you hear that, Knight Commander?

Date: June 10, 2019 08:02

Stoneage
daspyknows

The fans are an exception? So, they do not play for the fans? What the fans want is irrelevant? Okey, time for the fans to go on strike then. Fans of the Rolling Stones unite!

We people on here are nerds, not just fans. Fans want Satisfaction. We hope for obscure B-sides smiling smiley

Date: June 10, 2019 21:42

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
daspyknows

We people on here are nerds, not just fans. Fans want Satisfaction. We hope for obscure B-sides smiling smiley

Sure, Dandy. But I would be glad for something in between. Guess, I'm just a halfway-nerd? Someone even called me anti-Stones here a time ago...

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1659
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home