Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: tracklisting Rarities 1971-2001
Posted by: René ()
Date: October 12, 2005 14:12

On I Think I'm Going Mad:
I remember back when the "Collectables" CD was released together with the CBS CD box (1989), there was a rumour that they had lost the "Master-tape" of the song.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 12, 2005 15:28

marquess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How come you are bashing already the album without
> knowing wich versions are the chosen one: Mannihs
> Boy, miss You, etc...

as the material is (with one exception) almost certainly all previously released songs (hence the title 'Rarities' as opposed to "Outtakes") its not that hard in most cases to discern which versions are being used

There only is one previously released recording of Mannish Boy. They never recorded a studio version. As the album covers the period 1971-2001 and they only played the song 3 times in concert (both El Mocambo shows in 1977 and the unrecorded Ian Stewart tribute gig in '86) its hardly rocket science to deduct that its the same version thats on Love You Live and was included on "Sucking in the 70's" - ie, its not a 'rarity' by any stretch of the imagination.

The tracklisting clearly states "Dance version" after "Miss You". That would indicate its the recent Dr Dre mix as opposed to the 12' inch single from 1978 which is basically an extended version with less edits than the Some Girls version.

I do think that asking "where is..(insert the title of the favourite unreleased studio recording of you choice here)?" is pointless. As Bowiestone points out, its by definition an album of 'rarities' - not unreleased songs. They'll put together such an album one day - I'd rather it was done properly as a project rather than in a half arsed way by adding one or two to this collection. If they did, you can bet that everyone would complain because they released a certain track and not a different one. That said, the inclusion of what appears to be three songs that are already easily available on albums is bonkers when there are still other genuinely harder to find songs that arent included. Likewise, including an unreleased live version of a song that wasnt played live until 2002 on a compilation thats titled "rarities 1971 - 2001"

Date: October 12, 2005 15:29

René Wrote:
> On I Think I'm Going Mad:
> I remember back when the "Collectables" CD was
> released together with the CBS CD box (1989),
> there was a rumour that they had lost the
> "Master-tape" of the song.
>
>

the song's exclusion on both that collection and this one would therefore make some sense. I'm sure they could have got a low gen version of it somehow and cleaned it up!

Date: October 12, 2005 15:41

Thru & Thru is a boring ballad?It doesn't sound like a typical ballad to me.When I think of a ballad,I think of songs like How Can I Stop etc. and not Thru & Thru or Infamy for that matter.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 12, 2005 21:23

Hurraaaa

We will get Tumblin Dice, an extremely rare song, almost never plaid live.

I'm so HAPPY

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 13, 2005 00:23

Gazza Wrote:
> René Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > On I Think I'm Going Mad:
> > I remember back when the "Collectables" CD
> was
> > released together with the CBS CD box
> (1989),
> > there was a rumour that they had lost the
> > "Master-tape" of the song.
> >
> >
>
> the song's exclusion on both that collection and
> this one would therefore make some sense. I'm sure
> they could have got a low gen version of it
> somehow and cleaned it up!
>
>

I don't believe in those "lost masters mysteries". The original recording is usually done on multitrack tapes (24 track was common around the recording of I Think I'm Going Mad). These multitracks are mixed to a stereo master tape. Professional recording studios usually produce at least one additional safety copy of each stereo master - just for the case the original stereo master gets damaged or lost. So at least three, if not more, tapes of Think I'm Going Mad existed. In case the stereo master and even the safety copy (copies?) got lost, at least the multitrack recording should be around somewhere. And guess what? From the original multitrack master a new stereo master tape can be mixed any time. If they use a vinyl source as a mixing reference or guide, a new stereo mixdown should not take longer than one day in a recording studio.

Suggestions that a "master tape got lost" as an excuse for non-inclusion of a certain track on a certain record therefore sound highly unlikely. The Stones were able to find Goats Head Soup-era multitrack tapes of unreleased songs like Tops or Waiting On A Friend years later when they produced Tattoo You. It's all in their vaults. They just have to do a proper search. It's the Stones and not a forgotten band from the 50s or 60s that nobody took care of since a couple of decades!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-13 00:30 by retired_dog.

Date: October 13, 2005 02:40

It does happen, mate

When Springsteen was compiling songs for his "Tracks" 4-CD boxed set in 1998, they couldnt find the master of "Gave It A Name", a song he had cut a few years earlier.

So, he just recorded a new version of it. As a result, it was the only 'new' recording on the collection

Date: October 13, 2005 03:15

Gazza Wrote:
> It does happen, mate
>
> When Springsteen was compiling songs for his
> "Tracks" 4-CD boxed set in 1998, they couldnt find
> the master of "Gave It A Name", a song he had cut
> a few years earlier.
>
> So, he just recorded a new version of it. As a
> result, it was the only 'new' recording on the
> collection
>

Of course - it can happen, and it does happen, but a couple of years ago they said the same about Through The Lonely Nights - and now it's on the Rarities set!

Posted by: Jazzman5 ()
Date: October 13, 2005 04:37

Letter to the Editor:

Can you please check with Mick on just a few requsts? Maybe it's not too late for a last minute edit...

DRIFT AWAY
STILL IN LOVE
YOU'RE TOO MUCH
WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH YOUR LOVE?

Thanks. I thought these might qualify as rarities smiling smiley Let's pray the masters have not been stolen...

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 13, 2005 10:22

I'm surprised at the song selection myself...where's "Jump On Top of Me," "Cook Cook Blues," "I'm Gonna Drive," "She's So Young,""The Storm," "Think I'm Going Mad," single versions of "Tumbling Dice" ("You got to roll me" comes in two measures before the album version), single version of "All Down the Line" with prominant Stu and a little longer than the album version.

Very slipshod and slapdash effort. I'm not asking for unreleased stuff, just uncollected things that have only been on singles and on vinyl 45's.

Date: October 13, 2005 12:02

Jack Knife Wrote:
> I'm surprised at the song selection
> myself...where's "Jump On Top of Me," "Cook Cook
> Blues," "I'm Gonna Drive," "She's So Young,""The
> Storm," "Think I'm Going Mad," single versions of
> "Tumbling Dice" ("You got to roll me" comes in two
> measures before the album version), single version
> of "All Down the Line" with prominant Stu and a
> little longer than the album version.
>
> Very slipshod and slapdash effort. I'm not asking
> for unreleased stuff, just uncollected things that
> have only been on singles and on vinyl 45's.
>

Yes, that's also my main complaint. It's obvious that very little thought (if any) was invested when they compiled this set. Why, for example, do they use "Wild Horses" - it was out on a CD single, but this was taken from the Stripped album, so it's not rare at all!

It's been 15 years since Sony's Collector's Edition release, so maybe in another 15 years we finally get a new rarities set which hopefully will be done right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-13 12:03 by retired_dog.

Date: October 13, 2005 14:05

<If so, that appears to be three songs out of 16 that are already on currently available CDs (Wild Horses and Everythings Turning to Gold being the others). How that is defined as a 'rarity' is beyond me.>

If I Was A Dancer also.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 13, 2005 14:08

They missed the opportunity to put out 20th anniversary editions so they should think on 25th anniversary editions: 2CDs with a decent booklet, photos and unreleased material (like the Bowie 30th ann editions). Some hope.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 13, 2005 16:04

Could have been so easy to make the disc look something like this, and ten times better.

Let It Rock
Through The Lonely Nights
Miss You (long version)
Claudine
We Had It All
I Think I’m Going Mad
Everything Is Turning To Gold
If I Was A Dance pt. 2
Fancy Man Blues
Harlem Shuffle (long version)
Cook Cook Blues
Mixed Emotions 12” version
2,000 Light Years (live b-side)
Play With Fire (live b-side)
The Storm
Jump On Top Of Me
So Young
I'm Gonna Drive
Wish I’d Never Met You
Beast of Burden (acoustic)
Thru and Thru (live)

Date: October 13, 2005 17:26

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
> <If so, that appears to be three songs out of
> 16 that are already on currently available CDs
> (Wild Horses and Everythings Turning to Gold being
> the others). How that is defined as a 'rarity' is
> beyond me.>
>
> If I Was A Dancer also.
>

thats the one I meant. not "Everythings turning to gold"...!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home