Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Statistics, sales and other extremely fascinating stuff
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 15, 2023 21:52

"Sixty years to the week since The Rolling Stones’ debut hit – a cover of Chuck Berry’s Come On – was at its peak position of No.21, the legendary band return to the chart with their 55th hit in total and highest-charting single since 2005 with Angry (No.34, 8,958 sales). It also debuts at No.2 on the CD singles chart (961 sales) and No.1 on both the 7-inch (906 sales) and 12-inch (1,285 sales) singles charts, the latter actually courtesy of a 10-inch single. The introductory single from their upcoming album Hackney Diamonds – their first for seven years – it means that they are the first act in chart history to have a span of newly-recorded hits spanning 60 years.

Effectively reduced to a trio by the death of drummer Charlie Watts in 2021, they have an average age of 78.67 and thus take the record for the oldest group to have a hit from The Zimmers, who reached No.26 with their cover of The Who’s My Generation in 2007. In reality more of a large aggregation put together for a BBC show than a real ‘band’, the Zimmers had a reported average age of 78, and a likely average of 78.5 minus a fraction for the purportedly inflated age claimed by supposed oldest member Buster Martin."

Music Week

[www.officialcharts.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 15, 2023 22:01

Thanks, as always, georgelicks.

"Effectively reduced to a trio..." sure hits hard, doesn't it?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 16, 2023 20:19

"Sixty years to the week since The Rolling Stones’ debut hit – a cover of Chuck Berry’s Come On – was at its peak position of No.21, the legendary band return to the chart with their 55th hit.."

Truly amazing when you think about it.
And Counting.. smileys with beer

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: September 16, 2023 22:09

Anyone got the stats. for how many times The Stones and each member have been on the Rolling Stone Magazine cover

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: January 26, 2024 08:49

Analyzing the data of the top 10 most streamed Rolling Stones songs on Spotify over the last 30 days, we can observe some intriguing trends. "Paint It Black" leads with an impressive 850,000 daily average streams. "Start Me Up" and "Satisfaction" hold the second and third positions with 425,000 and 359,000 streams respectively. SMU having passed Satisfaction about 1,5 years ago and it looks it will stay that way.

"Beast of Burden" has shown a notable increase, now at fourth place with just over 300,000 streams per day, slightly surpassing "Gimme Shelter" (GS) which is close behind.In the last six months, "Beast of Burden" has made a significant leap in its streaming numbers on Spotify, moving from the sixth most streamed song per day to fouth. This growth reflects an increase of approximately 100,000 streams per day. "Sympathy for the Devil" has seen a slight decline, now at 220,000 streams daily.

Interestingly, "Brown Sugar," which is not currently in the top 10, has seen a decrease in streams following a 'soft ban'. Despite this, it still holds the ninth spot in all-time streams for the band.

"Miss You" and "Honky Tonk Women" have re-entered the top 10, overtaking "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Angry," which have dropped out of the top ten daily. Top 10 last 30 days (daily average):

PIB 850k
SMU 425k
Satisfaction 359k
BoB 301k
GS 285k
SFTD 220k
Angie 165k
Miss You140k
HTW 132k
Wild Horses 112k

Streams all time:
PIB 1,07bn
Satisfaction 669m
SMU 595m
GS 566m
SFTD 547m
BOB 411m
Angie 338m
Wild Horses 258m
BS 232m
Miss You 198m

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-26 08:51 by tiffanyblu.

Date: February 27, 2024 15:12

The Stones are back on the Billboard 200 chart this week with Hot Rocks at #185, their first charting week in 2024.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 27, 2024 15:34

georgelicks
it means that they are the first act in chart history to have a span of newly-recorded hits spanning 60 years.

Music Week

[www.officialcharts.com]

Bob Dylan?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 27, 2024 18:49

The Worst.
georgelicks
it means that they are the first act in chart history to have a span of newly-recorded hits spanning 60 years.

Music Week

[www.officialcharts.com]

Bob Dylan?

Actually I checked Bobby's chartings in that particular chart (UK Singles Top 100), and I was surprised that his first entry was not until March 1965 with "The Times They Are A-Changing". The last one so far has been from 2009. "Must Be Santa" made it #41 during Xmas week.

But the Stones didn't hold that record that long. Who else but the Beatles broke it with "Now And Then" (or does that count for 'newly-recorded?' At least AI did something now and not only then)... But the Stones will hit back I am sure...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-27 18:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 27, 2024 21:23

georgelicks
The Stones are back on the Billboard 200 chart this week with Hot Rocks at #185, their first charting week in 2024.

[www.billboard.com]

Hey Georgelicks, any guesstimate as to what Hot Rocks sales are now in the US? Might have asked this before, but what would be the reason why record companies don't recertify their album sales apart from an album not selling enough to make it to the next level?

Date: February 27, 2024 23:40

DGA35
georgelicks

[www.billboard.com]

Hey Georgelicks, any guesstimate as to what Hot Rocks sales are now in the US? Might have asked this before, but what would be the reason why record companies don't recertify their album sales apart from an album not selling enough to make it to the next level?

Hot Rocks should be in the 17-18x Platinum level at least now, up around 5 million since the last certification from 2002, the album averages 300,000 units each year in the last 10-12 years alone (streaming era).

Certifications cost money and neither of the Stones' companies in the US (Abkco and Universal) seem interested in updating the catalogue, there are albums that have not been updated since 1989, others even before.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 28, 2024 05:15

It’s amazing that if you say Pandora Rolling Stones, that Beast of Burden shows up first. although that’s a great song, it should not come up first. It does not typify the Rolling Stones. If I had to think of a Stones song that would come up first it would either be Satisfaction Gimme Shelter Honky Tonk Women Brown Sugar or Jumpin’Jack Flash. Or maybe Paint It Black or Start Me Up.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 28, 2024 05:42

georgelicks
DGA35
georgelicks

[www.billboard.com]

Hot Rocks should be in the 17-18x Platinum level at least now, up around 5 million since the last certification from 2002, the album averages 300,000 units each year in the last 10-12 years alone (streaming era).

Certifications cost money and neither of the Stones' companies in the US (Abkco and Universal) seem interested in updating the catalogue, there are albums that have not been updated since 1989, others even before.

So one step further, any guess as to what their total US sales would be, currently at 66.5 million? Add another 10-15 million?

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: March 8, 2024 11:05

Stones at all time high now in Spotify monthly listeners: 29,2 million listeners, just behind G'n'R.

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 8, 2024 20:17

Dumb question. If I click/listen/download on a song on my Apple Music subscription does that count as a sale for the artist? I would hope not. If so comparing todays sales numbers to actually buying a record is absurd. I hope that is not the case.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 8, 2024 21:20

timmyj3

If I click/listen/download on a song on my Apple Music subscription does that count as a sale for the artist?

When streaming, Apple Music pays 1 Cent per stream to artists - [iorr.org] . In general: where the money goes from the € 9.99 monthly streaming subscription - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

Date: March 8, 2024 22:51

So when a person clicks on a song, does that count as a unit sold?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 8, 2024 23:21

timmyj3

Not quite. I googled:

The standard in services like Spotify and Apple Music seem to be 1,250 premium audio streams, 3,750 ad-supported streams, or 3,750 video streams equals one album sale.

For Digital Single Awards, each permanent digital download counts as one unit, and 150 on-demand audio or video streams count as one unit.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-08 23:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 9, 2024 02:50

timmyj3

With $0.01 per stream, you need 1500 streams to reach $15 (one album). Album equivalent unit - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

The streaming equivalent album (SEA) units with 3,750 ad-supported or 1,250 paid subscription audio/video streams generated by songs from an album are for the Billboard charts - [www.Billboard.com] .

The same applies for Gold certification in the United States (by RIAA) - [Blog.DiscMakers.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-09 03:25 by Irix.

Date: March 9, 2024 16:41

Thanks for that info!

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1984
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home