Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Flashpoint Outtakes
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 28, 2019 05:55

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: February 28, 2019 09:10

Still, Collectibles (USA) = Collector's Edition (Europe) are not outtakes from Flashpoint.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 28, 2019 10:20

JordyLicks96

“...whether it was anything that anyone would want to hear. But it really just sounds like the Rolling Stones.”

- Rolling Stone, March 1991

That's maybe the problem with Mick from the Mid 80s onwards.
It's as though he thinks to sound like the Rolling Stones is a bad thing.

He might want to evolve and not get stuck in a rut...but it's become almost a paranoia with him.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: February 28, 2019 13:12

My teenage son was listening to my friend and I talking about Highwire when it was playing. We were saying it sounds like the Stones. My son didn't think it sounded like the Stones at all. He only really knew Hot Rocks at the time.

When did this sound/style sound like the Stones? What else sounds like Highwire's sound, etc...

Date: February 28, 2019 13:16

ROLLING STONES Flashpoint (1991 US metal pin badge which has a black shaped
backround featuring embossed silver 'Rolling Stones', Flashpoint' and 'flame and
spark' logos from the album artwork. This heavyweight badge measures
approximately 2" x 2" and has two pin fastenings on the back).

Date: February 28, 2019 18:06

ironbelly
Still, Collectibles (USA) = Collector's Edition (Europe) are not outtakes from Flashpoint.

Correct. There are no outtakes from FLASHPOINT.

Date: February 28, 2019 18:07

exilestones
My teenage son was listening to my friend and I talking about Highwire when it was playing. We were saying it sounds like the Stones. My son didn't think it sounded like the Stones at all. He only really knew Hot Rocks at the time.

When did this sound/style sound like the Stones? What else sounds like Highwire's sound, etc...

I guess you could say from 1978 onward.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: February 28, 2019 20:31

Not outtakes but you can find virtually a full concert from the Urban Jungle tour of 1990 here

It is a BBC recording from the five concerts at Wembley that summer. Not sure if it's all from one concert or a composite from the five but the setlist order is identical to the concert on Saturday 7th July 1990, except 'Can't Be Seen' is missing.

I think the link is only valid for a week.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 28, 2019 20:49

GasLightStreet
exilestones

I would say from Steel Wheels onward. Too clean. Maybe due to digital recording.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 28, 2019 23:38

CJFP
Hey!
I love Highwire and Sex Drive from Flashpoint but I was wondering if there were any studio songs that were not included on the album. If you know anything, do tell!

I always liked Highwire, but could never get into Sex Drive. I just don't like it, sort of like Suck On the Jugular -- never liked that one either.

Date: March 1, 2019 02:58

Elmo Lewis
GasLightStreet
exilestones

I would say from Steel Wheels onward. Too clean. Maybe due to digital recording.

In terms of that sound/style, why I noted 1978 is because of Charlie's change in drumming plus the use of the China crash that he started to use during the second half of the SOME GIRLS recording sessions (I think it's only on 2 songs on the album). It's probably a lot to do with the studios they used, which was through DIRTY WORK - Compass Point and RCA's recordings sound no different than the Pathé Marconi recordings.

As well as they used Chris Kimsey for recording as well as producing all of those albums except DW. He did STEEL WHEELS as well as Highwire and Sex Drive, the last work he did with the Stones, so it's a consistent sound and or style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-01 21:40 by GasLightStreet.

Date: March 2, 2019 13:24

GasLightStreet
Elmo Lewis
GasLightStreet
exilestones

In terms of that sound/style, why I noted 1978 is because of Charlie's change in drumming plus the use of the China crash that he started to use during the second half of the SOME GIRLS recording sessions (I think it's only on 2 songs on the album). It's probably a lot to do with the studios they used, which was through DIRTY WORK - Compass Point and RCA's recordings sound no different than the Pathé Marconi recordings.

As well as they used Chris Kimsey for recording as well as producing all of those albums except DW. He did STEEL WHEELS as well as Highwire and Sex Drive, the last work he did with the Stones, so it's a consistent sound and or style.

Maybe the Highwire/modern Stones sound started with Before They Make Me Run?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 2, 2019 14:37

GasLightStreet
exilestones

Or even better from 67! Or do you want to tell me that BTB or TSMR sounds like classic Stones?

Date: March 2, 2019 17:39

Maybe the Highwire Stones sound started with If You Can’t Rock Me?

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: March 2, 2019 22:37

Thanks for the concert

Date: March 5, 2019 04:20

Testify
GasLightStreet
exilestones

Or even better from 67! Or do you want to tell me that BTB or TSMR sounds like classic Stones?

BUTTONS and TSMR indeed have 'classic Stones' tracks on them or classic Stones sounds.

It wasn't a question of sounding like classic Stones, it was a comment that it didn't sound like classic Stones, which might as well be 1968-1973, but seeing that he only knew HOT ROCKS, then 1964-1971.

The sound he commented on is the production value from SOME GIRLS onward to Highwire, which is a distinct change in their sound, guitar wise, singing wise, drums wise as well as the biggest one, production wise, from what he was used to hearing.

Date: March 5, 2019 20:40

I just want to make love to you was released on the 71-03 rarities album

Tumbling Dice and play with fire were released as EP singles and then later with the singles box set

.....keep on rolling.....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 5, 2019 22:44

Always liked the extra songs on the CD singles. They'd make a good album by themselves.

Date: March 6, 2019 03:01

You Got to Roll Me
I just want to make love to you was released on the 71-03 rarities album

Tumbling Dice and play with fire were released as EP singles and then later with the singles box set

IJWTMKTY was released on the Highwire EP.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: March 6, 2019 13:37

Not sure if the following list has already been posted here.

Given the high quality of these songs, I put together my own "Flashpoint Outtakes" compilation CD about 20 years ago, here are the tracks and their respective sources:

Play With Fire: extra track on CD-single Highwire 1
2000 Light Years From Home: extra track on CD-single Highwire 2
I Just Want To Make Love To You: extra track on CD-single Highwire 2
Tumbling Dice*: extra track on CD-single Jumping Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man*: extra track on CD-single Jumping Jack Flash
Undercover Of The Night: extra track on CD-Single Ruby Tuesday 1
Harlem Shuffle: extra track on CD-Single Ruby Tuesday 2

* from IMAX film

The special release "Flashpoint Collectibles" in the leather CD case does not contain any of these tracks.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 6, 2019 14:40

TIRED

Given the high quality of these songs, I put together my own "Flashpoint Outtakes" compilation CD about 20 years ago, here are the tracks and their respective sources:

* from IMAX film

The special release "Flashpoint Collectibles" in the leather CD case does not contain any of these tracks.

+ Gimme Shelter at [Food - CDORDER DJL 1] from 1993 charity single. People always forget this one.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 6, 2019 15:20

ironbelly
TIRED

* from IMAX film

+ Gimme Shelter at [Food - CDORDER DJL 1] from 1993 charity single. People always forget this one.

Released as part of the "Putting Our House In Order" charity project which aimed to raise money for various homeless charities. To comply with chart regulations this was released in four different formats, 2 CD singles (Rock and Indie), a 12" single (Dance) and a cassette single (Pop) featuring twelve different artists performing the Stones classic. The interview track was common to all formats to further comply with chart rules. .
There was also a jukebox single and a promo CD featuring all versions of the song.
It was recorded at Clemson, November 26, 1989.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-06 16:00 by Deltics.

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: March 6, 2019 15:59

Thank-you, I found details on this special release online:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-Gimme-Shelter-Rock/release/5094562

Is anybody who owns this CD willing to put a good quality version of the Stones' Gimme Shelter (live 1989) online?

Date: March 7, 2019 04:05

Wow. One more that was prepped for FLASHPOINT that didn't make the album - that's crazy.

There were so many good songs left off in favor of Rock And A Hard Place, Can't Be Seen, Little Red Rooster, YCAGWYW, SFTD... '

Start Me Up is fantastic, Sad Sad Sad is probably the best of the STEEL WHEELS songs, although Mixed Emotions might've made more sense; Factory Girl is outstanding - it's too bad they left Play With Fire off, that is fantastic.

They really should've made it a double album. 8 additional tracks overdubbed and mixed for it, along with whatever else they recorded that they didn't work on. Certainly they recorded more songs, like Midnight Rambler, Mixed Emotions, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Honky Tonk Women, It's Only Rock'N'Roll, Before They Make Me Run, Angie, Happy, Bitch, Dead Flowers.

It could've really been quite the live album, song wise.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 7, 2019 11:58

Yes , Deltics, that's the one I have - on 'cassingle' no less!

Posted by: nick ()
Date: March 12, 2019 04:07

The interview is not on the Promo CD.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1941
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home