Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Bands whose stature has grown (or lessened) over time
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 30, 2019 13:55

Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers
U2 has definitely lessened. Stones may not have grown too much, but they've been at a peak commercially since Steel Wheels and maybe even Some Girls (forgetting about the ww3 period).

U2 still (?) produce new material and change. I prefer U2 live despite Bono being a political moron. Maybe U2 is a woman band. They will never allow themselves to grow old and stale.

Commercially, U2 has done very well.
Biggest grossing tour, last tours sold out.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 30, 2019 14:37

mikey C
Big Star..........

Great choice

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: January 30, 2019 15:30

Alex Chilton in general has really grown in stature - Box Tops as well as Big Star.

Great Replacements song titled "Alex Chilton".....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 30, 2019 15:48

Elmo Lewis
Alex Chilton in general has really grown in stature - Box Tops as well as Big Star.

Great Replacements song titled "Alex Chilton".....

yeah Alex Chilton, very unique career.. I only recently started really checking out Big Star, Chilton's solo work, Chris Bell too..

quite the guitarist too, Alex Chilton..

Date: January 30, 2019 16:00

mikey C
Big Star..........

yeah !

bravo mikey

just saw one of the "Big Star Third" shows recently, a great lineup and so enjoyable, their presentation, playing, string players, everything!

Date: January 30, 2019 16:55

Big Star's "Thirteen" mentions "Paint It, Black".

Date: January 30, 2019 17:22

Elmo Lewis
Big Star's "Thirteen" mentions "Paint It, Black".

Elmo! what a song. there are some great recent versions of it..

here's one

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 30, 2019 17:42

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds have really grown in stature with the raving Album "Skeleton Tree", and Concert reviews in 2016/2017/2018.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: January 30, 2019 21:51

Rockman
The wearing of Stones T-Shirts has grown …….
The WEARERS of Stones T-shirts have grown..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2019 02:15

mtaylor
Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers
U2 has definitely lessened. Stones may not have grown too much, but they've been at a peak commercially since Steel Wheels and maybe even Some Girls (forgetting about the ww3 period).

U2 still (?) produce new material and change. I prefer U2 live despite Bono being a political moron. Maybe U2 is a woman band. They will never allow themselves to grow old and stale.

I don't think the stature of U2 has improved though. They never came close to repeating achtung baby album/tour.

Far weaker catalogue of songs overall, Very few great albums. You cant directly compare I guess (though i know i tried), but where will u2 be in 20 years-when they are the stones age now?

I just dont see them at the same level of popularity as the stones are currently.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: January 31, 2019 03:33

Interesting thread...I work in a multi-generational workplace that employs everyone from millennials to soon-to-retire baby boomers such as myself. Everyone gets along great but it's been amusing listening to the younger ones who have tromped out to see Bohemian Rhapsody and gush on Monday mornings that Queen was the greatest rock band of all time.They were a little taken aback when I was telling them that most considered Queen as just another rock act, on the level of a Styx or Foreigner or Boston and nowhere near the 70's rock pantheon of the Stones The Who, Floyd, Zeppelin...at least in my neck of the woods,Toronto. I actually felt bad when I also mentioned that Mercury had no idea he was ill at Live Aid...They were crushed....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 31, 2019 04:43

ThePaleRider
"...most considered Queen as just another rock act, on the level of a Styx or Foreigner or Boston and nowhere near the 70's rock pantheon of the Stones The Who, Floyd, Zeppelin...at least in my neck of the woods,Toronto"

Same with my neck of the woods - that being Santa Monica/SoCal. They were like a niche band (a small one at that), and while everyone knew a couple of their big tunes, nobody I know was an actual fan of the band.
In fact, I'd say Styx or Foreigner or Boston were much bigger...and Kansas too.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 31, 2019 04:57

buttons67
ironically the stones 1967 era of buttons and majesties combined with unofficial outtakes show an energy, aggression and passion that the beatles never had.

1967 stones are so underrated, as 1967 beatles were always overrated.

sorry to bash the beatles again, but how they escape criticism for many songs surprises me.

yep imo Between The Buttons, sonic warts and all production-wise,
is a GREAT rock and roll record. U.S. version was how it came to me,
and how I still listen. so it's GREAT. unless one who loves the UK orginal
version (glad they stopped making releases different in various continents,)
which does Not have those unimpeachably GREAT singles...
...and Stones Beetle writers probably the reason for THAT too, in the world of recording.

Great. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And, imo, Not just in the Stones catalog, but generally speaking in the entire
World of rock and roll music circa That Summah of Love.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 31, 2019 11:32

ThePaleRider
Interesting thread...I work in a multi-generational workplace that employs everyone from millennials to soon-to-retire baby boomers such as myself. Everyone gets along great but it's been amusing listening to the younger ones who have tromped out to see Bohemian Rhapsody and gush on Monday mornings that Queen was the greatest rock band of all time.They were a little taken aback when I was telling them that most considered Queen as just another rock act, on the level of a Styx or Foreigner or Boston and nowhere near the 70's rock pantheon of the Stones The Who, Floyd, Zeppelin...at least in my neck of the woods,Toronto. I actually felt bad when I also mentioned that Mercury had no idea he was ill at Live Aid...They were crushed....

I don't remember anybody in the UK thinking of Styx or Boston or Foreigner (none of whom I'd heard of at the time at the time, and I doubt my friends had) as being on a par with Queen at that time. And I wasn't even much of a Queen fan in those days.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: January 31, 2019 17:35

Aquamarine
ThePaleRider

I don't remember anybody in the UK thinking of Styx or Boston or Foreigner (none of whom I'd heard of at the time at the time, and I doubt my friends had) as being on a par with Queen at that time. And I wasn't even much of a Queen fan in those days.

Queen in the UK vs the US is night and day difference. After The Game, they tanked here until Wayne's World and now, Bohemian Rhapsody gave them a boost. They were playing half empty arenas in the early 1980s in the US.

Date: January 31, 2019 18:04

Queen have sold 68 million albums in the US, only 6 millions shy of what the Stones have (Certified sales, according to Wikipedia).

In total, they've sold 134 million albums, 35 million more albums than the Stones.

I find those numbers baffling. If Queen tanked in the US in the 80s, when they were on top of their game sales-wise, did they sell the majority of these albums after Freddie's death?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:12

I think RUSH received a surge of respect and popularity over the last few years. The documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage" really seemed to find an audience and gave them a high profile after decades of being something of nerdy cult band (although one with quite a large cult following).

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:28

Nick Drake.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:31

buttons67
regarding u2, loved them early to mid 80,s saw them in 1987 and was surprised the setlist contained little from the best years, thats the trend that has continued, wonder why a group as early as they did, just leave out their best work and insert in its place 7 songs from 1 album that was nowhere near as good as the first 4 albums.

i know they were trying to be contemporary, but of the 20 songs played on that joshua tree gig in glasgow, 4 songs were snippeted(as u2 are famous for) 7 were joshua tree, 4 were from the unforgettable fire and only 5 from the first 3 albums. they left out so much of the good stuff it was a disapointment as i was hoping to see a live at redrocks type concert.

They weren't "trying to be contemporary". It's just that people that fail to grasp what bands do is the reason why there's such a glaring case of oddity with people. For instance, you were disappointed because you were hoping to see a Red Rocks type concert: you expected a 1983 U2... in 2017.

Wow.

Fortunately you can have this.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:40

keefriff99
I think RUSH received a surge of respect and popularity over the last few years. The documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage" really seemed to find an audience and gave them a high profile after decades of being something of nerdy cult band (although one with quite a large cult following).

I would argue that the film "I Love You, Man" did for them what "Wayne's World" did for Queen.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 31, 2019 18:44

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
The first group that comes to mind is U2. It seems that their albums and tours are no longer cultural appointments. I suppose the same could be true about the Stones, in terms of stature among younger generations, in comparing, for example, the craze for Stones tickets in '72 or even '81 vs. now.

But of course, I would say the Stones stature is quite secure, being an obsessed fan and all, but trying to step outside of that....I can see how "kids today" don't get nearly as excited about them and what they're currently doing.

But anyway, for me, U2's stature has definitely lessened over time. Same with Led Zeppelin, The Who and Aerosmith......and yep, even the Beatles. Used to listen to them a lot as a kid and young adult, but now very very rarely.....though the kids like to hear 'Yellow Submarine".....so I see a trend there.

U2 is possibly bigger than they were in the 1980s and 1990s regarding their tours. The 360 tour was remarkable, and all of their tours post POPMART have sold out.

The 360 tour was remarkable, from what I hear, but it also took place 8-10 years ago (2009-2011). I've seen them three times dating back to the Pop Mart tour, most recently in 2015. The shows are amazing, but their albums have ceased to say much that hasn't been said, so again....for me, their stature has lessened. I've been a fan since "The Joshua Tree", and their latest "Songs of Experience" was the first that I didn't pursue.

U2 is still a creative band that continues to release new albums. Perhaps they've lessened for you but for the general public that continues to go see their tours that sell out... sure, it's not like when THE JOSHUA TREE came out - but how many bands since then have had that kind of explosion happen after their 5th album or whatever: no one.

Considering everything that's happened with them, they're huge and remain so.

Date: January 31, 2019 18:49

treaclefingers
mtaylor
Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers

I don't think the stature of U2 has improved though. They never came close to repeating achtung baby album/tour.

Far weaker catalogue of songs overall, Very few great albums. You cant directly compare I guess (though i know i tried), but where will u2 be in 20 years-when they are the stones age now?

I just dont see them at the same level of popularity as the stones are currently.

U2 record sales world wide are around 150 million, the Stones at 200 million.

Considering the lengths of their careers...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 31, 2019 18:58

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
mtaylor
Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers

I've been posting/lurking here for almost 15 years, and the one constant is that the majority of people here have constantly tried to knock down and minimize U2 no matter what they do. It just smacks of insecurity.

Date: January 31, 2019 19:21

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
mtaylor
Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers

I've been posting/lurking here for almost 15 years, and the one constant is that the majority of people here have constantly tried to knock down and minimize U2 no matter what they do. It just smacks of insecurity.

I'm not fan of Elton John (or others that are big) but I do acknowledge his status. Not liking someone because of (enter reason here) is one thing, denying their status because of it is another.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 31, 2019 19:53

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
mtaylor
Redhotcarpet
treaclefingers

U2 has the record for biggest grossing tour. Doesn't come out of nowhere. And they could have sold many more tickets.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-31 19:55 by mtaylor.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 31, 2019 20:53

Elmo Lewis
Grown:

Queen - some even think Freddie was as good a front man as Mick - blasphemy

Tom Petty - good solid rocker, but broke no new ground

Faded:

Three Dog Night - many great songs (they or the record company chose wisely). Were comparable to CCR at one time, now rarely mentioned.

Elvis - considered a joke by many

Beatles - Their influence cannot be overstated

To be decided:

The Rolling Stones

Totally agree with Three Dog Night. Who could beat 21 top 40 hits in a row. I think they sold more tickets than anybody for about 4 or 6 years.

Date: January 31, 2019 21:23

how about R.E.M. ? id say their stature has grown, based on how many folks loved them, grew up with them, and now want them to get back together...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 31, 2019 21:41

GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
GasLightStreet
floodonthepage
The first group that comes to mind is U2. It seems that their albums and tours are no longer cultural appointments. I suppose the same could be true about the Stones, in terms of stature among younger generations, in comparing, for example, the craze for Stones tickets in '72 or even '81 vs. now.

But of course, I would say the Stones stature is quite secure, being an obsessed fan and all, but trying to step outside of that....I can see how "kids today" don't get nearly as excited about them and what they're currently doing.

But anyway, for me, U2's stature has definitely lessened over time. Same with Led Zeppelin, The Who and Aerosmith......and yep, even the Beatles. Used to listen to them a lot as a kid and young adult, but now very very rarely.....though the kids like to hear 'Yellow Submarine".....so I see a trend there.

U2 is possibly bigger than they were in the 1980s and 1990s regarding their tours. The 360 tour was remarkable, and all of their tours post POPMART have sold out.

The 360 tour was remarkable, from what I hear, but it also took place 8-10 years ago (2009-2011). I've seen them three times dating back to the Pop Mart tour, most recently in 2015. The shows are amazing, but their albums have ceased to say much that hasn't been said, so again....for me, their stature has lessened. I've been a fan since "The Joshua Tree", and their latest "Songs of Experience" was the first that I didn't pursue.

U2 is still a creative band that continues to release new albums. Perhaps they've lessened for you but for the general public that continues to go see their tours that sell out... sure, it's not like when THE JOSHUA TREE came out - but how many bands since then have had that kind of explosion happen after their 5th album or whatever: no one.

Considering everything that's happened with them, they're huge and remain so.

It seems you are kinda making my point---------> "sure, it's not like when THE JOSHUA TREE came out...." and "...that kind of explosion".... I'm not saying I don't like them, and it's not about insecurity as someone oddly believes.....it's simply an opinion that their stature isn't what it was during their "explosion" in the 80's and 90's.....that is all. People are going to their shows in droves..yes, the stats are there...yes, many, many people....I have been one of them....their base is their base but they aren't expanding on that base like they used to be able to do. Many bands have a fevered base that allow them to sell out shows long after their highest stature has come and gone. It's an opinion that I am quite secure with and one that not everyone shares and that's ok. I appreciate your opinion, though.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-01 00:30 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 31, 2019 21:48

Queen stole the show at live Aid in 1985! I can’t find Three Dog Night in the Dutch top charts but several of Queen number 1 for singles and albums, it’s clear that Three Dog were very succesfull in The USA.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: February 1, 2019 00:56

I'm going to look at this bit of evidence....The bands that have their own dedicated Sirius Channels are The Beatles, Elvis, Springsteen, Grateful Dead and Pearl Jam...of which only three are still performing. The stature of those three bands at least, seems to be intact.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home