Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Bands whose stature has grown (or lessened) over time
Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: February 1, 2019 02:56

I grew up in the suburbs of London and San Francisco, so I would have to say, as regards “gained in stature over time”: Moby Grape, the Flamin’ Groovies, the Move, the Chocolate Watchband, the Seeds, the Count Five, in other words, all those bands that, in the mid -70s, reluctantly endured the subsequent adjectives relating to “punk”. The Groovies, in particular Mike Wilhelm, Chris Wilson and Cyril Jordan, disliked anyone who used that adjective in their description. I would also include the (US) Kaleidoscope and the Left Banke. Lastly, but firstly, the amazingly rocking Paul Revere & the Raiders.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: February 1, 2019 03:34

duke richardson
how about R.E.M. ? id say their stature has grown, based on how many folks loved them, grew up with them, and now want them to get back together...

ummmm.....no

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 1, 2019 10:37

ThePaleRider
Interesting thread...I work in a multi-generational workplace that employs everyone from millennials to soon-to-retire baby boomers such as myself. Everyone gets along great but it's been amusing listening to the younger ones who have tromped out to see Bohemian Rhapsody and gush on Monday mornings that Queen was the greatest rock band of all time.They were a little taken aback when I was telling them that most considered Queen as just another rock act, on the level of a Styx or Foreigner or Boston and nowhere near the 70's rock pantheon of the Stones The Who, Floyd, Zeppelin...at least in my neck of the woods,Toronto. I actually felt bad when I also mentioned that Mercury had no idea he was ill at Live Aid...They were crushed....

Depends on what you call “just another rock act” Styx,Foreigner and Boston have about 15 multi-platinum albums between them with Styx being the first band to ever have 3 triple platinum albums in a row.
I thought they weren’t very good but they were huge acts as was Queen.I saw them on tour from when A night at the opera came out until there last tour in 82. They were a stunningly great band live.alot of teenage boys were too insecure to see them and they missed out big time.
Saying they were playing to “half empty arenas in the 80s”is complete bullshit.they only toured the states in that decade in 1980 and 1982 and were huge by then.
The masses had gotten over their phobia as word got around how great they were live and they killed it,we will rock you,champions,crazy little thing,rhapsody,killer Queen,sheer heart attack,tie your mother down,dragon attack just an onslaught of guitar,bass,drums and vocals masterfully done.still never heard vocals done that well to this day and not just Freddie,they could all sing.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 1, 2019 15:50

Cooltoplady
duke richardson
how about R.E.M. ? id say their stature has grown, based on how many folks loved them, grew up with them, and now want them to get back together...

ummmm.....no

no - that they've grown in stature..? or , no in general to one of the most acclaimed bands?

i find their willingness to go in new directions, and perseverance (until 2011), all to their good.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 28, 2019 20:08

I finally took the time and really listened to the Rush catalog and boy I waited to long. Aside from Pearls drumming his lyrics are off the charts with great stories if you really listen. Nothing more can be said about Geddy;s great bass but his singing on some of the songs blends in and is an instrument .

Lifeson guitar - since it is a 3 piece band to get a fuller sound he lets a lot of notes ring out with his chord progessions and does a lot of arpeggio playing the notes in the chords - The song working man ( so Black Sabbath sound) he plays an amazing riff going into one of the greatest rock solos and then back to the riff and then he builds that great middle solo part - That has to be up their in the the greatest guitar solos on record.

Sorry to open up the thread and distract the forum from the RS current tour.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 29, 2019 00:31

tomk
The band Journey's stature has skyrocketed, more than I ever thought. Every dumb Millennial knows that stuff, and loves it.
The Beatles will always be there, on top.
Zeppelin, too.
As for the Stones, I think the general public doesn't care what they do anymore, and it's been that way for quite a while. Sell out a stadium, yeah, but besides us, nobody cares what whey do anymore.

The general public ...
I always talk to "the general public" about my passion and very, very often I hear the "are they still around?" or anything like that. The general public (as of a decent age off course) still know who the Rolling Stones are and very often they listen in total disbelieve, when I tell them "Oh Yeah, they are currently touring North America with 17 concerts over some two months period and with .... around 1 Million visitors!" and "I am going to see them over there soon"
Yes, total disbelief and instant great respect!
smileys with beer

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 29, 2019 01:35

Paddy
The Doors kinda peaked I think in popularity around the early 90s. They were big in the secondary school I went to at that time, probably around when the movie came out. A guy I went to school with, his brother won all the Doors albums & In Concert on CD, I promptly got cassette copies and my 15 year old ears were hooked!

I really liked An American Prayer, technically a Morrison album, with music by the Doors. I would get drunk and spout the shit on this album on occasions. There’s a great live version of Roadhouse Blues on it also.

I didn’t listen to the Doors for maybe 15 years. Morrison’s a bad influence. grinning smiley
But I came back to them about 5 years ago, and have enjoyed them as much as the first time round.

A thinking man`s band, I think. Mostly loved at the western part of Oslo.Have you ever mourned at Morrison`s grave? I have not. I was amazed that this band rose from the ashes in the 80s and 90s. I thought it was MY band! Nobody cared for The Doors the time I discovered them, which was in 1975. You would even have big difficulty in getting the Soft Parade album. I had to order most of their stuff by mail because they weren`t high in demand at the time. Plus I suspect they weren`t really well known in their active years in Norway. They were labeled "underground". -Music probably many thought one should stay away from.

Re: OT: Bands whose stature has grown (or lessened) over time
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 29, 2019 01:42

Have you ever mourned at Morrison`s grave?

….eeeeerrr well been there ….
Didnt mourn but was amazed at how
many were continually coming to visit his grave …… strange day

ROCKMAN

Date: July 29, 2019 01:56

aaawwwww yeah one other thing....

Dunno exactly why but LA Women is
one of the best albums ta have playin at a BBQ ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 29, 2019 02:11

What about ABBA? Take a look at this video and tell me you don't like them...
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: July 29, 2019 02:16

The Doors are the only band to have more albums in my personal top 5 than The Stones, about all of them to be exact, give or take one or two... smiling smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 29, 2019 03:32

Stoneage
What about ABBA? Take a look at this video and tell me you don't like them...
[www.youtube.com]

We all know Abba. It`s not bad. This Eurovision song brought an end to the row of "chanson inspired ballads" that preceded it. Those ballads engage you at a deeper level, I think.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 29, 2019 03:35

elvis considered a joke...lmfaolmfaolmfao

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 29, 2019 06:04

SomeGuy
The Doors are the only band to have more albums in my personal top 5 than The Stones, about all of them to be exact, give or take one or two... smiling smiley

Same here. The Soft Parade is the weakest of the bunch but still a great album.
LA Woman was a great record to finish on. Some of the best music The Doors ever recorded is on L.A. Woman.

Date: July 29, 2019 07:01

Jim's Grave-site ---- Paris October 2017 ………….. photo Rockeeeeeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 29, 2019 09:54

DandelionPowderman
Queen have sold 68 million albums in the US, only 6 millions shy of what the Stones have (Certified sales, according to Wikipedia).

In total, they've sold 134 million albums, 35 million more albums than the Stones.

I find those numbers baffling. If Queen tanked in the US in the 80s, when they were on top of their game sales-wise, did they sell the majority of these albums after Freddie's death?

I think the reason for the Stones not selling as many records as a lot of arguably lesser artists is in the nature of their music.

None of it is "vanilla" flavoured or "magnolia" in colour.

Little of the Stones output has ever been music or a sound that appeals to the masses...which makes the band's achievements even more special in my opinion.

In other senses of "Stature", and when compared to other atists mentioned here, the Stones suffer from not having broken up years ago ...and from still being alive .

[aside from Brian of course...bless him]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-29 10:34 by Spud.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 29, 2019 20:34

SomeGuy

Morrison's stature has grown over time..the rest of the band not as much.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home