Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones history and the passing of time.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 28, 2019 13:52

Spud
It's that old "..the sun, the moon and Rolling Stones " thing isn't it.

When you get to our age [coming up 60 in my case] and this band have been around for our entire living memory...

It's both amazing and very wtf!

I wonder how they deep down feel about.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:14

does time really exist, i mean everything happens now and cant be changed, scientists reckon time didnt exist before the big bang anyway so maybe it dosent exist now.

and what about time travel. some people think that does exist and time can be controlled. i never believed in time travel, although last week i ordered a kebab and it took 3 hours to get here.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 28, 2019 14:28

Feels like time gets warped every weekend.

[The period between Friday teatime & Monday morning seems to be about 10 minutes long.]

Date: January 28, 2019 14:32

His Majesty
Spud
It's that old "..the sun, the moon and Rolling Stones " thing isn't it.

When you get to our age [coming up 60 in my case] and this band have been around for our entire living memory...

It's both amazing and very wtf!

I wonder how they deep down feel about.

Yes , extremely wtf .

I guess they feel kind of the same... though most of us might have had enough of our jobs after that long in the saddle

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 28, 2019 15:20

Spud
Feels like time gets warped every weekend.

[The period between Friday teatime & Monday morning seems to be about 10 minutes long.]

So true

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:19

midimannz
Hairball
The Stones as a band are just a bit over a year older than I am which I've always found intriguing.
When I was nine, they released Satisfaction.
When I was fourteen", they played Altamont.
When I was 17, they released Goats Head Soup.
When I was 15, they released Some Girls.
When I turned 22, their best records were already behind them.
When I turned 30, I had only seen them live 0ne time (western Springs Auckland).
Now at 63,with 6 shows line up, that number will reach the 6 mark.The last show was front row
And when I turn 65, they might have the new album finished.

Rather fabulous how you managed that age reversal from GHS to Some Girls midimannz. Or perhaps Miss You just made you 'feel' younger?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 28, 2019 16:22

buttons67
scientists reckon time didnt exist before the big bang anyway so maybe it dosent exist now.

not true...time was on our side, and waited for no one before a bigger bang.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 28, 2019 17:48

Date: January 28, 2019 18:12

I've never been able to figure out why Brian, as the shortest member of the band, was most often the one who's trousers weren't long enough !

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:05

I've never been able to figure out why Carnaby drops photos of Brian into every thread whether they are appropriate or not...

Carnaby,
I love the pictures.
Why don't you start a thread of 'Favorite Brian pics' and go to town?

Unless it's Groundhog Day again...

Date: January 28, 2019 20:19

Carnaby

Hehe, Bill and Charlie look like assassins...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:25

That’s a great photograph thanks for sharing.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2019 20:28

Their last #1 LP in the US was TATTOO YOU.

Their last #1 LP in the UK was BLUE AND LONESOME. Before that it was VOODOO LOUNGE. Before that it was EMOTIONAL RESCUE. They had a run of #1 LPs from LET IT BLEED through GOATS HEAD SOUP, whereas in the US they had #1 LPs in a row from STICKY FINGERS through TATTOO YOU.

Their last #1 single in the US was Miss You. In the UK it was Honky Tonk Women, which was the last time they had a #1 in both the US and UK.

38 years since their last US #1 LP.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 29, 2019 15:56

GasLightStreet
Their last #1 LP in the US was TATTOO YOU.

Their last #1 LP in the UK was BLUE AND LONESOME. Before that it was VOODOO LOUNGE. Before that it was EMOTIONAL RESCUE. They had a run of #1 LPs from LET IT BLEED through GOATS HEAD SOUP, whereas in the US they had #1 LPs in a row from STICKY FINGERS through TATTOO YOU.

Their last #1 single in the US was Miss You. In the UK it was Honky Tonk Women, which was the last time they had a #1 in both the US and UK.

38 years since their last US #1 LP.

Yep Max, that's along way back where it comes to #1 scores in term of selling records, but ... they are still by far THE #1 live rock&roll band. Who will ever surpass their almost 57 years of ever more popular live performance scores? It started in 1962 with maybe thirty guests in the Marquee, where in 2019 they once more will attrack almost a million during only 16 shows! They never had "come backs" like f.i. The Who or The Eagles or Pink Floyd (etc., etc.). They just kept/keep on rolling, sometimes fast, sometimes a bit slower, but still rolling. How great (privileged) it is to be a Rolling Stones fan!
smileys with beer

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 29, 2019 16:32

according to stats, the rolling stones will never top any official list.

they are my favourite band off all time and many other people, but officially thats not a stat, only an opinion.

they are not the best selling band of all time. probably never will be.

i thought they could be the highest earners of all time when considering live output, ticket reciepts in total, but according to various info, u2 will overtake them, in every form, highest grossing earnings, most songs played live,most covers played live, most songs created, most gigs played live, highest average attendances, highest total attendances.

to me its just numbers and means nothing as u2 rely heavily on snippeted songs in concert and count it as an official total despite snippets merely lasting seconds. u2 have cleverly manipulated this so they will eventually top the most amount of songs played in total ever, the most amount of individual songs played live. stats take no consideration for quality. the stones will always be the best and will be unsurpassed, stats can be misleading at times.

Date: January 29, 2019 16:35

The Chelsea Drug Store, now a McDonald's

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 29, 2019 21:44

^ Royal Avenue House, where Brian was busted in May 1968, on the left on other side of the Royal Avenue.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2019 22:00

treaclefingers
midimannz
Hairball
The Stones as a band are just a bit over a year older than I am which I've always found intriguing.
When I was nine, they released Satisfaction.
When I was fourteen", they played Altamont.
When I was 17, they released Goats Head Soup.
When I was 15, they released Some Girls.
When I turned 22, their best records were already behind them.
When I turned 30, I had only seen them live 0ne time (western Springs Auckland).
Now at 63,with 6 shows line up, that number will reach the 6 mark.The last show was front row
And when I turn 65, they might have the new album finished.

Rather fabulous how you managed that age reversal from GHS to Some Girls midimannz. Or perhaps Miss You just made you 'feel' younger?

Haha I had to look twice at this (and then my original post on pg.1) wondering what the heck happened to my personal Stones timeline, then realized midimannz altered it to align with his own.
But how he managed the age reversal from GHS to Some Girls is the great mystery - fantastic!smiling smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 29, 2019 23:06

DandelionPowderman
Carnaby

Hehe, Bill and Charlie look like assassins...

Indeed. They are a killer rhythm section...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 30, 2019 00:52

Aquamarine
I still think of Ronnie as the new guy. Having been a big fan during his Faces years, I still think of him in that context so that he still doesn't quite seem one of the Stones to me (which is not a criticism of him at all, just a reflection on time playing tricks with my mind. Or something).

Your not the only one.....grinning smiley

Date: January 30, 2019 02:39

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2160
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home