Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Ballads
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 1, 2019 19:58

Stones have many 'slow rollers' that are absolute classics...I've made many mixed tapes/cd's through the years. Like your collection skippy, tho' I prolly wouldn't have included Loving Cup, much as that is one of my fave on EOMS.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 1, 2019 20:31

‘Moonlight Mile’

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 1, 2019 22:43

35love
What do you mean you never cared much about the lyrics?? That is the first thing I read on a new/ unfamiliar song.

The first thing I do with a new/unfamiliar song is listen to it. If something is a great tune, with a great arrangement, great playing, great sound, I tend to value that higher than, say, silly lyrics, an incomplete or inconsistent narrative, or the like. If I consider something a great ballad, I rather consider the music than the lyrics.

You say,
35love
... first I read the lyrics which had some killer paragraphs but then I played it. I didn’t finish. I guess (honestly) it feels not true to me. Jagger the victim doesn’t always play well. …

I’d rather finish playing/listening to a song prematurely (i.e., hitting the skip button) if I find the music unbearable. It’s simply a different approach. In my case, may have to do with the fact that English is not my native language. When you don’t know English yet as a kid and come to find your first favourite songs, the lyrics are obviously not a criterion. When the Beatles’ Ob-la-di ob-la-da came out, I was six and my knowledge of English was confined to the basic numbers and a handful of words. When my pals and I sang the song in the street, we sang it with improvised nonsense lyrics (I’d love to have a recording of that LOL). When Deep Purple’s Burn came out, I was twelve. I found it a great song despite not really getting what the song was about. I still find it a great prog/heavy song today even though this kind of sword & sorcery lyrics is not so much for me. You can bet there are millions of people out there who find Angie absolutely great despite not understanding a single complete line. Also, I’d love to see some statistics one day about how many people in the audience of a Stones show go crazy when they play Satisfaction and sing along when it comes to the I Can’t Get No part but don’t understand the rest. You get my drift. Thus, I can find a tune great even if the literary quality of the lyrics isn’t top notch. So whether Jagger comes across as credible or genuine in the lyrics of a dumped lover song or not does not play so much of a role for me. It is in that sense that I generally don’t care so much about a song’s lyrics (or, pay more attention to the music), unless they stick out in some (positive or negative) way.

As fas as Mick’s lyrics are concerned, one has to say that he manages to be quite inventive even in stereotype topics like dumped etc. lover.

Posted by: dgodkin ()
Date: January 1, 2019 23:56

DANDELION

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 2, 2019 01:06

treaclefingers
Natlanta
back when ballads were ballads there was supposed to be a King Arthur reference too but apparently we’re way past that now.

that was a damn nice bitch-slap...happy new year!

roll tide mo-fo.

Date: January 2, 2019 01:23

That was a nice response Doitywoik I understood and agree with what you wrote.
It made me think I have fallen in love with a song not knowing what any of the lyrics meant/ a language I don’t speak, but the vocal with the arrangement
spiritual experience
and I am not disclosing the song here ;-)

Date: January 2, 2019 01:25

Oh sorry Doitywork in response to Mick singing lyrics that aren’t genuine
I am describing that wrong for myself.
How can I explain why 1 song makes me stop with a NO
I can’t.

Date: January 2, 2019 02:24

35love
Stones ballads...
‘Love In Vain’

‘Already Over Me’ I had to reacquaint myself with- first I read the lyrics which had some killer paragraphs but then I played it.
I didn’t finish. I guess (honestly) it feels not true to me. Jagger the victim doesn’t always play well. Hurt, yes, but scratched up and abused... he doesn’t believe it either while he’s singing it. Sorry.

There^ for anybody who thinks I don’t give bad reviews.

In Ronnie Wood’s new set list book there is a set list dated October 15, 2014.
It hurt to read it.
Like Elvis said: image and person 2 different things.
In Mick’s case, I happen to love both grinning smiley

But that set list I don’t need to hear that rehearsal night.
No blood on the stage.
I loathe blood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 04:23 by 35love.

Date: January 2, 2019 20:38

35love
I can’t.

Don't worry! smiling smiley That's part of the magic of music. If we could explain each and everything there, each liking or disliking, each emotion, there won't be no magic!

Date: January 3, 2019 03:32

doitywoik
35love
I can’t.

Don't worry! smiling smiley That's part of the magic of music. If we could explain each and everything there, each liking or disliking, each emotion, there won't be no magic!

Thank you. Being a member of this board has triggered many of my most magical musical moments.

Date: January 3, 2019 03:32

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home