Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'81 '82 tour shows
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:05

I think these '81 '82 are great. The daylight shows rocked(they did them in the afternoon because that was cheaper, so I've heard). That movie Let's Spend The Night Together is one of the best music video's around. With the setting sun over this stadium without one empty seat, and them playing a rocking version Beast Of Burden. Jagger going crazy on every song. Everything being played real fast, but not to fast. Great setlist(Under My Thumb as an opener! Awesome!) Huge fireworks.

Re: '81 '82 tour shows
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:10

If there was one thing that would be cool to pick up again, it would be to start the shows in the afternoon. I'm not the biggest fan of this particular tour, but you're right with the sunset thing. It's just pure magic.
The speed playing I can live without.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:12

Hmm yes, the speed playing is a matter of what you like. I understand some people hate it. I like the way they rush through things, so they could do almost 30 songs in one night.
I'm in favor of afternoon shows though.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:16

I don't hate it. It's good, but they're better today IMO.
However songs like Let It Bleed and Beast Of Eric Burdon (LOL) are very good on this tour.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:23

Strange that you guys mention the speed of tunes. I listened to two entire 89 and 90 shows alst night and that was the very first thing that struck me: that speed. But not just the speed. It was also the rhythm itself. Everything was real boppy. Like BS and Happy e.g they all had this 80's type of synth bop happening. Very danceable but...I don't know.
It is most definetly good that they got rid of Matt Clifford right away. Too much synth. Charlie's beats are so unfettered by fills it might as well not have been Charlie. Evern Midnight Rambler chugs along like a happy little steam poof. Whoo whoo! And then we still had Wyman who had developed through 78 to 81/82. He was tops in those tours but I think he almost took it too far then. Once he picked up those terrible Steinbergers he got too clean. Way too digital.
There are things that make the Stones rhtyhtm section magical. Charlie's rack tom. Bill's muddy style. 89 was a good tour but they have come a long way since then. Stadium rock has gotten a lot better. The trick I think has been to deliver a Clubfeel, the intimacy of a small venue on a large scale. In a @#$%& stadium with giant screens.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: October 4, 2005 20:34

i enjoy the energy of the 81-82 tour...i think the "punk" attitude was still affecting their live playing (since some girls)....like a runaway freight train but highly exiting...

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 5, 2005 04:14

What great shows....they were still in their late 30's and I was a teenager. It was great time to enjoy their music.....then the deep freeze set in and Peter Pan thought he could be a solo star and went Hollywood. 1981 was their zenith to me.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2005 04:45

81-82, love that tour, and the daylight shows were great, what a great stage
imho the last authentic stones tour

Posted by: Local27 ()
Date: October 5, 2005 05:19

The '81-'82 tour is my favorite of all the Stones tours even though I know it doesn't rank that highly with many die hard Stones fans. I was only 8 years old in '81....but I still remember them coming to play Hartford, CT. I was listening on the radio. The reporter for the radio station that was doing the one song broadcast started going absolutely nuts....I'm mean this guys was loosing his mind. "Oh my GOD....I can't believe I'm at a Rolling Stones concert" screamed the reporter. "There they are....Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Bill Wyman, and Charlie Watts." And then I heard it "Under My Thumb" live on the radio airwaves.... November 9, 1981. I was so friggin' jealous and pissed that I wasn't old enough to go to the show. I had to wait till '89 to see them first hand. Just thought I'd share a very fond memory that I'll never forget. Still gives me chills thinking about it.

"I'm the bleeding volcano"

Posted by: gut ()
Date: October 5, 2005 07:37

====imho the last authentic stones tour =====

Totally agree. Their last as a working band in all areas of their creativity.

Local 27, you were a cool 8-year old.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: October 5, 2005 11:15

Hey Local 27: If you don't already have it, email me and I'll send you a soundboard recording of the 11/9/81 Hartford show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2140
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home