Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: OT: albums concidered great which I don`t get
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 29, 2018 23:03

Open - Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll and The Trinity (1967).

A couple of nuggets or so don`t make a satisfying album.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 30, 2018 13:05

noughties
Open - Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll and The Trinity (1967).

A couple of nuggets or so don`t make a satisfying album.

Is it regarded as an outright great album in the first place?
Streetnoise, their next (and last with Julie) album, is a semi-forgotten masterpiece, though.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 30, 2018 21:55

It`s the recommended album among all the Brian Auger albums in his discography at allmusic.com.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: December 31, 2018 01:30

People still remember Brian Auger? He wasn't ubiquitous like a Bruce Springsteen or Led Zep. He was a cult act in the States, with maybe one minor hit (the Dylan song with Julie Driscoll).

Date: December 31, 2018 07:57

noughties
It`s the recommended album among all the Brian Auger albums in his discography at allmusic.com.

Right. Something I can add to Open the album is that the sleeves are completely different between the British and American versions. I have both and much prefer the American version: a close-up of Julie’s full face — she is so gorgeous! An epitome of the Sixties’ Swinging London. This alone makes it worth having for mesmiling smiley

marianna
People still remember Brian Auger? He wasn't ubiquitous like a Bruce Springsteen or Led Zep. He was a cult act in the States, with maybe one minor hit (the Dylan song with Julie Driscoll).

FYI — Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity supported Led Zeppelin during the very beginning of the latter’s second US tour in 1969, in San Francisco (Apr. 24-27) and Pasadena (May 2-3), which I read became a catalyst of Julie’s departure from the combo for whatever reason.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 31, 2018 20:15

The Velvet Underground & Nico

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 31, 2018 20:48

PET SOUNDS. Awful album.

Date: January 1, 2019 03:48

GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS. Awful album.

I'm glad Lennon and McCartney never thought like you.

Date: January 1, 2019 07:10

GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS. Awful album.
smileys with beer

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2019 11:02

Rumours..........because Tusk is so much better.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 1, 2019 16:19

Nirvana - Nevermind (noise, just noise)

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (boring, music for parents, then and now)

Every solo record by John Lennon: pretentious, self indulging crap.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 1, 2019 19:59

More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS. Awful album.

Me too. But I don't do the drugs Lennon and McCartney did, either.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 1, 2019 20:14

GasLightStreet
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS. Awful album.

Sloop John B...love that tune.

Date: January 2, 2019 02:09

GasLightStreet
More Hot Rocks
GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS. Awful album.

t

Ok now I get it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 02:10 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 2, 2019 08:06

Just about anything by Pink Floyd (although some Syd Barrett era stuff was cool) or LEd Zeppelin

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 2, 2019 08:35

If we’re talking bonifide classics that we don’t ‘get’, then I suppose I’d have to pick the Beach Boys’ Pet Sounds. I’ve long enjoyed their surf-era recordings and their latter-60’s singles - Breakaway, I Can Hear Music and Do It Again - but I find God Only Knows and Sloop John B to be absolutely nauseating.

Elsewhere, I suppose any of the supposed-classic Springsteen albums I could mention. I have never felt compelled enough to explore beyond his Essential best-of.

Stones-wise, I suppose I’ve always found Exile to be a tad - just a tad, okay! - overrated by some in the Stones community. It certainly isn’t an album I ‘dont Get’, however. It’s friggin marvellous, but it’s greatness is perhaps a little overstated by some.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 2, 2019 09:14

"The Gift", The Jam. Bought the album after a five star review in 1982. Never understood the greatness of it. But I guess I was never a Jam fan to begin with...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 2, 2019 10:09

Stoneage
"The Gift", The Jam. Bought the album after a five star review in 1982. Never understood the greatness of it. But I guess I was never a Jam fan to begin with...

It’s not a favourite of mine, either. However, The Jam were terrific. Weller’s angst-ridden, observational-style lyricism was unmatched at the time, in my opinion; ‘smells of pubs and Wormwood Scrubs’

Date: January 2, 2019 13:56

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek & The Dominos
A great album by a great band. That does not mean perfect, though. It suffers from a bad recording and muddy mix, the drums in particular, which sound like hitting cardboard boxes. Also one too many overdubs — sometimes sounds too dense to my ears. Another overproduced album perhaps?
The very fact that it was remixed for the 20th anniversary box set edition (1990) may indicate that those who were concerned admit it.
In short, a flawed masterpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 13:57 by RisingStone.

Date: January 2, 2019 15:20

RisingStone
A great album by a great band. That does not mean perfect, though. It suffers from a bad recording and muddy mix, the drums in particular, which sound like hitting cardboard boxes. Also one too many overdubs — sometimes sounds too dense to my ears. Another overproduced album perhaps?
The very fact that it was remixed for the 20th anniversary box set edition (1990) may indicate that those who were concerned admit it.

I have similar feelings re. that album, but it concerns St. Duane. Now I love Duane, and he was one of the most brilliant guitarists of his time; esp. on Slide. But his parts on the song "Layla" sound awful to me. I wonder how much of the final mix was colored by his time with Eric, his reputation. I do love the album though; I just never quite got the slide on "LAYLA"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: January 2, 2019 17:40

all the beatles and Pink Floyd albums i dont like.
jeroen

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 2, 2019 21:46

Palace Revolution 2000
RisingStone

I have similar feelings re. that album, but it concerns St. Duane. Now I love Duane, and he was one of the most brilliant guitarists of his time; esp. on Slide. But his parts on the song "Layla" sound awful to me. I wonder how much of the final mix was colored by his time with Eric, his reputation. I do love the album though; I just never quite got the slide on "LAYLA"

Duane's slide fits the hysteria of the song. It almost sounds like an electric violin. My least favorite part of the song is the instrumental ending. It is an overrated song in general, including Clapton's slowed down remake.

Date: January 3, 2019 14:12

Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Some of the tracks are undeniably great, e.g. All Along The Watchtower, both versions of Voodoo Chile/Child. However, lack of cohesiveness and overindulgence in the studio gimmickry detract from the end result. A typical period piece. I much prefer the first two albums, especially Axis: Bold As Love.

A small but significant flaw is the inclusion of Burning Of The Midnight Lamp — I wonder who, back then, wanted to hear the song that had been released as a single over a year before on the new album over again. An incomprehensible decision on the production side (most likely Jimi himself) indeed.

Date: January 3, 2019 14:24

marianna
Palace Revolution 2000
RisingStone

Duane's slide fits the hysteria of the song. It almost sounds like an electric violin. My least favorite part of the song is the instrumental ending. It is an overrated song in general, including Clapton's slowed down remake.

Yes that is the part I mean. The fast part is impeccable.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 3, 2019 23:45

People dissing Pet Sounds, Electric Ladyland, Forever Changes, Layla, even Exile on Main Street -- just goes to show there's no accounting for taste!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 3, 2019 23:47

GasLightStreet
PET SOUNDS. Awful album.

thumbs up

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 4, 2019 00:37

corriecas
jeroen[/quote

agreed!

Date: January 4, 2019 00:38

corriecas
jeroen[/quote

Could not agree more

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 13, 2019 18:07

Date: January 13, 2019 22:51

Zep were great

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1549
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home