Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any "That's How Strong My Love Is" moments yet?
Posted by: 3chrds ()
Date: October 4, 2005 00:17

Hello all,

This is my first time posting, long-time reader, though. I just re-dug into my "That's How Strong My Love Is" boot mp3 from Roseland 2002. It seems to be that, looking over the previous posts for this performance of the song, it has taken on mythic stature. Just playing it again after a year or so, after playing it constantly for who knows how many times, it's hittin' me again. This version went beyond just verifying that the Stones were "back". They delivered a transcedent emotional and spiritual moment, handed down to us from up above! I start daydreaming when i listen to it, envisioning it in a soundtrack to the quintessential Scorcese scene, the camera slowly panning over a post-catastrophic wasteland, with this song blaring hard, audience noise and all. The song makes you appreciate being human! Goosebumps, I tell you.

Anyways, have there been any "That's How Strong My Love Is" moments on this tour yet? Am seeing them in San Fran in Nov. Cheers y'all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 00:20 by 3chrds.

Re: Any "That's How Strong My Love Is" moments yet?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2005 00:21

it wasn't THAT good, IMO. Otis' version was much better.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2005 00:45

The original version by O.V Wright on Goldwax ain't half bad either.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: October 4, 2005 00:59

I was at Roseland, and I tell you, Otis is nothing compared to Mick on that occation! One of the greatest moments in my life.

I think 19th nervous breakdown came close in MSG some weeks ago, but not quite as That's how strong though....

Posted by: vedran ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:02

> This is my first time posting, long-time reader,
> though. I just re-dug into my "That's How Strong
> My Love Is" boot mp3 from Roseland 2002. It seems
> to be that, looking over the previous posts for
> this performance of the song, it has taken on
> mythic stature. Just playing it again after a
> year or so, after playing it constantly for who
> knows how many times, it's hittin' me again. This
> version went beyond just verifying that the Stones
> were "back". They delivered a transcedent
> emotional and spiritual moment, handed down to us
> from up above! I start daydreaming when i listen
> to it, envisioning it in a soundtrack to the
> quintessential Scorcese scene, the camera slowly
> panning over a post-catastrophic wasteland, with
> this song blaring hard, audience noise and all.
> The song makes you appreciate being human!
> Goosebumps, I tell you.

I agree on every single word here. And this is the maybe second or third time I completly agree on a forum post, Stones related, since I first time typed Rolling Stones on Yahoo, and that was 1997.

THSMLI, as performed on LICKS tour, and more precise, yes, the Rosland preformace, wich I adore, is really, totally and indeed - what 3chrds just said is...

Thank you for your post! (I intentionally quoted it in it's entirety)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-04 01:03 by vedran.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:23

I was lucky enough to be at Roseland that night as well and was shocked by how intense the performance was--to say nothing of being shocked by the mere inclusion of that song in the set.

Jagger just kept reaching further and further into the song and each time he did, there was a palpable (and audible, I believe) response from the crowd. It really did set a benchmark for "soulful"...

After the show that night, a lot of the crowd walked a few blocks down to the Virgin Megastore in Times Square. They stay open until 1:00am so that people can pick up new releases right as they become available. That Tuesday morning was the release of "Forty Licks" and they had these beautiful lithos on heavy paper that they were giving out with purchases of Stones albums.

Late September/early October is so crisp and clear and warm in New York; I remember having conversations with a lot of the people standing in the lights of Times Square with their Stones posters and albums about the show and the Stones. People were having a hard time believing "That's How Strong My Love Is"...

Posted by: spikey ()
Date: October 4, 2005 01:28

I was there. In 25 years of seeing Stones shows, the performance of THSMLI easily ranks with the handful of truly magical moments I've been lucky enough to witness. To me, that's the Stones. They are erratic live. Sometimes brilliant, sometimes an off night, but when you catch them at the right moment, they wipe the floor with any other band on the planet!

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: October 4, 2005 02:04

can anyone tell me how i can get a hold of a recording?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 4, 2005 02:08

canadian.sway Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can anyone tell me how i can get a hold of a
> recording?

I've got it, If you wait until the weekend I'll get you a CD in Toronto. (I live there but I'm in Vancouver for the week).

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 4, 2005 17:30

Imho Stones versions of Otis´ songs/catalog usually are wonderful.
That´s How Strong... is a killer anytime!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 4, 2005 17:41

The best performed song of the last tour IMO

..apart from "Its a long way to Tipperary.."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: October 4, 2005 17:56

parachute woman

Posted by: amoody ()
Date: October 4, 2005 18:08

i was there and mick really put his all into it. with the arm swaying and he got the crowd really into it.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:48

Yes,
I was a Roseland as well and I was blown away by that song.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: October 4, 2005 19:58

Same here. One of my top Stones moments.

Posted by: 3chrds ()
Date: October 4, 2005 21:43

right on y'all! i knew i wasn't alone on this. of course, gotta thank and respect those who wrote and did the song first - I only know Otis's version, not familiar with O.V Wright, but will keep an eye open. Otis's is sweet r&b smoothness...The Stones version is that, but even more visceral, IMHO. The horns, for one thing, blare majestically. Then the severely tasty licks by keith n ronnie. The organ is churchlike, and assured, swingin heavy rhythm by charlie and darryl, the way R&B is supposed to be. Synergy of all the Rolling Stones on stage. It's supposed to bring you to your knees and have you beg forgiveness! Then lift you right back up on high. And of course, I can imagine it was Mick Possessed by the Love God that fuel this performance.

I also dig the audience reaction, it is electric! And on my copy, at the end, you can faintly hear a Tommy-Chong-like voice...blearily conceding, "Jesus Christ, man..." Blown away. Maybe it was one of you guys!

Good to hear they are pulling out songs like 19th Nervous Breakdown. I can just imagine the build-up, Here it coommess, here it COOOMES!

...Well, wouldn't ya know it, the Stones are on tour again!! Thank you Jesus, Thank you Lord! Can't wait. Those moments are what life is all about, really!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: October 5, 2005 02:29

A few details about Roseland itself:

The venue is a very old Art Deco style dance hall. What that means is that the vast majority of the crowd (myself included) wasn't seated, but standing on a level dance floor...there's a balcony area that runs around the edge of the room, but I've never been up there for any show. Can't remember if that was a VIP area or what, but downstairs was, for me, the place to be.

The stage is small and narrow and set at one end of the hall...I've seen the place set up with the stage on what for the Stones was halfway back, stage left side, but not this time. There were slightly elevated VIP areas where that stage would have been.

There are also bar areas at the back of the room and tucked around a corner at the Stones' stage right...even with the crowd they had in there that night, there was a lot of space in which to wander around and to dance--if one didn't care about watching the band up close.

Downstairs from the dance floor level is a beautiful old lobby area with large men's and ladies' lounges and a long row of telephone booths. Bill Graham used to say that he wanted the Fillmore East to be clean enough and well-run enough that people stood up a little straighter when they walked in. That's the feeling I have about Roseland...the history of the place and of all the beautiful nights there seems very present. It's a weathered elegance that complements the Stones...

Standing in that crowd on that floor watching the Stones doing "Sweet Virginia," "Going To A Go-Go," "Rambler," Rock Me Baby," "She Smiled Sweetly," "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'," and "That's How Strong My Love Is" was an incredible event in the heart of one of the world's great cities.

One funny thing that might charm (or irritate) the folks on this board: As I was walking out that night, there was a guy behind me in his early fifties, who said, very much in awe...

"'Got to scrape the shit right off my shoes'...what the hell was that?!"

I referred him to the appropriate album and wished that I could hear it for the first time--again.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 5, 2005 03:07

About the Roseland version of THSMLI...

Is it really THAT good?? I only ask because, while I have a boot of that show, the sound is horrid. You can barely make out the music. But I do have stellar versions of the Olympia performance (obviously) and the LA Theatre show (in-@#$%&-credible).

So I ask the faithful and unbiased (i.e. those that weren't at Roseland): is it truly the best version of them all?? And if not, then which one is. Frankly I find the Wiltern version would be hard to top!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home