Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Microphones
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 3, 2005 16:16

Need a new microphone for my minidisk recorder.

Something that could work well to record concerts et simila

Any suggestions (brand model)?

C

p.s. Not too expensive

Re: Microphones
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: October 3, 2005 16:26

ask drake
i think he mentioned it some days ago that he used these mics

[www.core-sound.com] to record the columbus show

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-03 16:36 by TeleK.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: October 3, 2005 17:04

yes, the core-sound mic's are very interesting.
Have you heard of Soundman-OKM ?
[www.soundman.de]

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: October 3, 2005 17:09

core-sound mics are great. There's also great mics at www.soundprofessionals.com

If you can, choose hypercardoid ones, you can catch the music more and less crowd noise.

Date: October 3, 2005 19:00

mmm not too esay to find here

thank you anyway

C

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 4, 2005 02:38

yes, core-sound.com is the way to go. if you can afford them, get the "core sound binaurals". if you need mics for less you can go with the $100 "core sound low cost binaurals". I honestly wouldnt recomend going with set of cardiods unless your definately gonna be recording from far off distances... those mics will cut off the bottom and top end of the recording on purpose, to compensate for the type of mic. binaurals work fantastic in most situations, and sound exactly as you hear it at the show. my nashville 02 recording sounds much better than columbus and was recorded on the exact same set of mics. seriously, go core sound. no other option is worth it,e especially the low cost models...

Date: October 4, 2005 10:20

Thank you!

C

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: October 4, 2005 11:08

Sorry drake, but binaurals are not the right mics to tape a rock show. I guess your tape proves that! Too much crowd noise around you and lacking the fundamental bass (because of the natural bass rolloff) but too much ringing treble.

(And a moving stereo base from time to time and sometimes one weak channel doesn't make a good tape, though you are promising it beeing the best of this tour)

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: October 4, 2005 11:23

I used to tape with binaurals, I wasn't satisfied with them. It wasn't core sound but ..

Since I use hypercardoid ones, I've never been disappointed. What a difference !!

But core sound binaurals seems to sound great.

binaurals better than cardoids for concerts recordings ?? I don't think so.

I don't think you can have very good mics for less than 200 €.

Posted by: ratcub ()
Date: October 8, 2005 07:49

huh

Posted by: drake ()
Date: October 8, 2005 23:04

rknuth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry drake, but binaurals are not the right mics
> to tape a rock show. I guess your tape proves
> that! Too much crowd noise around you and lacking
> the fundamental bass (because of the natural bass
> rolloff) but too much ringing treble.

Too much crowd noise??? You cant hear any crowd during the songs. Who cares about in between tunes. Seriously, you're nitpicking and your wrong. There is no bass rolloff, natural or otherwise. You can complain about the mixing all you want, its still a great recording. It was mixed in a short period of time and it wasnt finalized when I put it up for everyone to enjoy. Try getting 200+ emails asking you for the complete concert on bittorrent and maybe you'll release a rough mix of your recording too. A remastered version of it will be up on rocksoff in a week or two and I'll be really proud of that one.

> (And a moving stereo base from time to time and
> sometimes one weak channel doesn't make a good
> tape, though you are promising it beeing the best
> of this tour)

Moving stereo base? You must be smoking something. Binaurals arent NEARLY as directional as cardiods. Anyone who deals with mics on a regular basis knows this. My recording has moving only during the beginning of the Keith set and the beginning of Miss You. This is due to:
A. me taking off my jacket and handing it to a friend during Keith's set (too many wiskey sours)
B. taking the jacket off again so that I could look at the bstage and record from the main stacks by laying the jacket over my arm. After I folded the jacket over my arm I recorded the entire bstage that way, then put it back on afterwards. I'd rather not face the main stacks and stare at a 90* angle to the left just to avoid a moving stereo base. lol

If you're far away, sure, stealth cardiods are the way to go, but in total honesty and bluntness, if you're going to be recording a concert whats the point of doing it from far away. Listen to every other boot on the tour and you'll hear overcompressed junk. No clarity, no definition, real messy. Compare that to binaurals and its a masterpiece.

Furthermore, cardiods are not flat frequency response. They cutt off the top and bottom ends, which reduces clarity and drops off the bass response. Binaurals on the otherhand capture the full frequency at a flat response. The high end cardiods offered by coresound are fantastic, and dont kill off as much sound as the lower end versions, but I'd much rather have a recording of the show exactly as I heard it.

Incase you still dont believe me below is a link to my recording of Nashville in 2002. I never released it. It will be released this coming week on the rocksoff tracker. Its a sample, but was recorded on the exact same mics, identical setup...

[www.deathsocks.com] (btw, notice that the only time you can hear any talking is at the beginning when the guy standing next to me said 'thank you' when someone passed him his beer. Thankfully the entire recording is devoid of talking during songs aside from that spot and someone asking about taking pictures during Sweet Viriginia...)

If you dont have a straight shot at the PA then you should go with cardiods. Personally I wouldnt bother taping a show if I'm not close to the main stacks. Whats the point? Someone else will have a better spot anyways. Listen to the other recording of Nashville, which was recorded on a minidisc recorder and cardiods and you'll be amazed at the difference. Compression abounds and there is almost no bass whatsoever, not to mention the cuttoff on the top end sounds horrendous. Nice artwork though.

Drake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-08 23:10 by drake.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2145
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home