Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: AC/DC's "Stiff Upper Lip"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 8, 2005 21:34

This is a really well-produced album, IMHO-- it's loud and in-your-face. The producer is George Young, who was part of the Vanda/Young team that produced the classics of the Bon Scott era ("Powerage", "Let There Be Rock" et al). It doesn't have the slickness of the Mutt Lange sound ("Back in Black"), but for AC/DC, a no-frills production suits them perfectly.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that the powerful rhythm section of Phil Rudd & Cliff Williams is well-forward in the mix.

My favorite tracks on this are "Satellite Blues", "I Can't Stand Still", and "Give It Up". This album is basically a live performance captured in the studio.

Opinions?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-08 22:08 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: AC/DC's "Stiff Upper Lip"
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 8, 2005 22:21

Excellent "comeback". AC/DC ranks within the 5 best bands of all time, IMHO.
I read awhile ago that they have a doublealbum coming in january?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 8, 2005 23:27

I actually don't like the production on the album. I much prefer the heavy sound Mutt Lange gets. Coincidence that the three AC/DC albums he produced are their biggest sellers, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, Those About To Rock?
Similar to Hard As A Rock in 96, the album went platinum but I don't think it garnered any new fans. Stones, Van Halen and AC/DC have been my three favorite bands since 1978-79.
I also wonder why Brian doesn't write the lyrics anymore. All songs are by Angus and Malcolm. Hopefully Brian gets back to writing at least some lyrics.
As I've mentioned here before, die hard AC/DC fans are just as picky about set lists as the Stones fans are here. The upcoming tour will probably feature 3-4 new songs and the rest will be warhorses: High Voltage, TNT, Let There Be Rock, Whole Lotta Rosie, Highway To Hell, BIB, You Shook Me, Thunderstruck, Jailbreak, Sin City, Hells Bells, Those About To Rock, etc.
Maybe the Stones will invite AC/DC to open a couple of their European shows again next year. I personally thought that their new album would have been released by now but it seems to keep getting pushed back.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 8, 2005 23:58

Great album and indeed in your face.
Pity that there's some filler.
Brian screaming 'GET READY' in the beginning of 'All Screwed Up' is one of his finest moments.
I wasn't a big fan of Ballbreaker, but Stiff upper Lip was a return to (studio)form.

A new AC/DC album is expected for a long time. First rumours I can remember said it should have been released in April 2005. The Title was something like 'Strap it Up'. Is there any news about the forthcoming album? Besides that there will be some riffs, tight rhythm section and screaming on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home