Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Could we live with an intermission at a Stones show?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 11, 2018 20:01

corriecas
The stones give a great rock nroll experience. Why would you put in an intermission.its like you have great sex...and you say..oh wait a minute. I am gonna walk the dog and i will see ya in 20 minutes and wr will have sex later. First a glass of wine and then we will @#$%& again.
Really??? No. And i dont give a @#$%& that i am in minority.
Jeroen

>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<>grinning smiley<
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Nate

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 11, 2018 23:32

Hairball
Koen
Add a half time show with talking heads discussing the first set and predicting the second one.

Haha...the heads of all message boards...bv, Stonesdoung, and Gazza.

Seriously though a great idea to have an intermission, but for many Keith's set is an intermission in itself sadly.
Maybe right after Keith's first song, then intermission, then Keith comes back for his second song.
Mick will get an extended break, and be good to go for the remainder of the show.

I've never seen people head to the bathroom when Keith does his set at the many European shows i have been to, perhaps its different in the States.
On many occasions people have actually surged forward when Keith sings, when he sang The Nearness Of You it was an incredible experience for the audience.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 12, 2018 02:24

Cripes...no! There’s already Miss You... grinning smiley

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: November 12, 2018 03:06

During intermission. They could have a marching band from a high school. Or a comedian..terrible idea...or they could sell t shirts. wait a minute mick might like this idea.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 12, 2018 03:15

no it's sure death. at least we'd have a time-frame so somebody could have my seat for the second half. Mick's likely to charge a second time for that seat however.
He'd be back-stage saying, "well, fair is fair. ee got 'admitted' that was the deal, right mate? It ain't like ee's payin' to bee showwffeeredd owwt...
eeeh's got his own meet and greet another ass gets the $eat."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-12 03:20 by hopkins.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 12, 2018 03:32

SomeTorontoGirl

You gotta a point there, but at least in Canada, an intermission will allow the audience to take a legal doobie break.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 12, 2018 03:36

In California, we allow the band to play for us during our permanent doobie break.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 12, 2018 05:15

Pink Floyd used in intermission on the Momentary Lapse Tour, being 17 at the time it didn't interfere with my or companions flow, and as stated it allowed a reset on all fronts & additional merch (i'm having such a good time i want to memorialise this etc)/drink/food sales.

I don't see a problem just play some tracks from "Confessin The Blues" can help there as well with sales, fresh montages on the screens to give stand/sit still punters get a Deep Cut Blues fill for 10/15mins.

This audience isn't getting much younger in repeat visits these days, often it's a tick box affair for the youngsters i.m.e. (I saw the Stones etc) example my 9yr younger brother went in 2006, "i've seen them he say's", for me I have to see them at every possible opportunity, I'd watch them play from their wheelchairs if it came to that. Then there'd be a definite intermission for medication and O2.

Whatever it takes to keep e'm going as long as they want i say

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 12, 2018 09:29

The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl

You gotta a point there, but at least in Canada, an intermission will allow the audience to take a legal doobie break.

Hmmm... don’t get too excited... very few brick and mortar stores yet (none in Ontario) and they’re running short in the online stores. Growing pains. But anyway, ya can likely happily vape away all show long. (Geeeez... if they thought audiences were mellow before... !!!)

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 12, 2018 09:43

No. If they cannot sustain a 90-minute performance as a rock band playing songs they've played thousands of times, maybe they should retire.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 12, 2018 17:06

With respect to the current number of a 19 -20 song set list, a 20 minute "Power Nap" during a 30 min Intermission could possibly extend the set list to 25 -27 songs. The other ten minutes during intermission could be used to drink a quick shot of coffee and move forward. smiling smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 12, 2018 17:13

4 Minutes band introduction and 8 mins Miss You are already more than enough

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 12, 2018 17:14

I looked at the author of this topic and said to myself 'figures". I don't this he has ever been to a Stones concert.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 12, 2018 17:19

Would prefer a 3 OR 4 song acoustic set while sitting - so many great songs to choose from.

Date: November 12, 2018 17:37

Elmo Lewis
Would prefer a 3 OR 4 song acoustic set while sitting - so many great songs to choose from.

I agree. There was an "intermission" with the bomb threat in Virginia - October of 2005 and it was very boring. Nothing to do but sit there and wait. And losing the Richards lead vocal songs was another negative that night.

I guess that it would be better if you knew in advance how much time but,the acoustic set seems like a better idea. But,they insist to still perform in giant stadia , stadiums.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 12, 2018 17:46

I saw an NHL game on television a couple of days ago. It was nothing but constant intermissions. Intermissions with some hockey in between.
What would be the incentive for intermissions on a rock concert. To sell more snacks and t-shirts?

Date: November 12, 2018 18:45

Stoneage
I saw an NHL game on television a couple of days ago. It was nothing but constant intermissions. Intermissions with some hockey in between.
What would be the incentive for intermissions on a rock concert. To sell more snacks and t-shirts?

A TV game is an entirely different situation. Commercial breaks are for the advertisers to sell their products and services. The advertisers and marketing companies pay the network for those ad slots which is revenue for the network who in turn pays the NHL for the right to broadcast the games. You get to see Dahlin and others.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: November 12, 2018 19:06

If it meant getting a longer and more creative setlist, I am all for it.

Date: November 12, 2018 19:08

SomeTorontoGirl
The Sicilian
SomeTorontoGirl

Hmmm... don’t get too excited... very few brick and mortar stores yet (none in Ontario) and they’re running short in the online stores. Growing pains. But anyway, ya can likely happily vape away all show long. (Geeeez... if they thought audiences were mellow before... !!!)

Some of the world's largest licensed growing facilities are in Ontario, one such facility close to Buffalo, so I hear.

Date: November 12, 2018 19:10

Kennedy
If it meant getting a longer and more creative setlist, I am all for it.

For me, that's the entire point.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2018 19:33

Chris Fountain
With respect to the current number of a 19 -20 song set list, a 20 minute "Power Nap" during a 30 min Intermission could possibly extend the set list to 25 -27 songs. The other ten minutes during intermission could be used to drink a quick shot of coffee and move forward. smiling smiley

"Power Nap"...possible name for the tour? grinning smiley

Mick has been known to suck up oxygen from a tank during his break, so why not all of them take a few minutes for a power nap?
Reminds me of being in kindergarten as a five yr. old where we all had to take a 10 minute "nap" in the middle of the day!

Date: November 13, 2018 12:46

It would be another nail in the coffin of the rock'n roll show.
We are eliminating any risk, and any kind of excitement from something that used to be an expression, an art form.
Sure we can have those expectations that a Stones show should become a family friendly event, and scheduled around bathroom breaks for elderly.. But, by the same token, we then have no license to EVER start another setlist complaining thread.

I am no child of the 60's, living in some hippie dream. From the 90's.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: November 13, 2018 16:15

I think its a totally fair question and interesting discussion. Maybe it's a crazy thought on this board as the Stones have never broken up their set. The majority of the bands I see play two separate sets. The Stones would have to rework their set list and it's flow but if it gives the band 30 minutes to sit down and recharge, and the audience would get another 4-5 songs out of the deal, I don't see it as a bad thing. Or at least it's an interesting thought.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 13, 2018 20:16

We have Keith's singing.

That is somehow an intermission where people go to toilet and beer.

That's enough

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 13, 2018 20:35

DGA35
Springsteen has intermissions but his shows can go on for upwards of 4 hours.

The word is HAD, it's been a long time since Bruce had intermissions.

Don't think it would work for the Stones because at their age, the adrenalin would slow down which could make them more tired for a second set.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 13, 2018 20:37

mtaylor
We have Keith's singing.

That is somehow an intermission where people go to toilet and beer.

That's enough

For the casual Stones concert goer, true, and for the hardcore it's Miss You.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: November 13, 2018 20:59

Watching the video of Prodigal Son from MSG '69 got me thinking why don't they do a mini acoustic set in the middle where they can sit down.

Two songs would prob work best. Short to average length songs. Ronnie and Mick for the first song then Keith and Mick for the second, Then straight to Keith's set.

It would give Charlie, Daryl and backing musicians a break for two songs, Ronnie and Keith a break for one song each and a sit down for one each. Mick would get to sit down for two songs.

I would be prepared to sacrifice one warhorse for this - Scarf Me Up.

BTW the original version of Prodigal Son by Robert Wilkins on Confessin the Blues is amazing.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 13, 2018 21:32

Sure! Who cares about the optics - if it gives them a break to finish strong, why not?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 13, 2018 22:17

No, let all the tight packed drunks around me leave during the show, please, bye.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: November 14, 2018 02:25

I believe Crosby, Stills ,Nash & young use too take 10 to 15 minute intermissions.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home