Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Posting a photo from your computer
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 31, 2018 01:08

Please excuse my lack of knowledge about doing this. I am sure this has been covered, but I can not find it through search.

How do you get a photo that's in a file on your computer into a message here? Do I have to upload it somewhere online then link it in or what? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Re: OT: Posting a photo from your computer
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 31, 2018 01:12

You can't post pictures directly from your computer, you need to use a photo hosting service. I use imgur which is free and easy to use. [imgur.com]

Also see here: [iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: October 31, 2018 07:13

Deltics - thanks for the Imgur reference. I'll check it out. I did see the iorr link you cited. I thought on reading it, Hmmm, is there an easier way? Hence my question,

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 31, 2018 11:48

It should not be that hard really.

First you need to have your picture available online somewhere. I.e. not on your on PC disk, but available online on Internet. Then right-click in your browser, on the pickure, and select "Copy picture address".

Then select the "Insert Image URL" symbol in the IORR posting toolbar.

Then key in "Control V" and OK, i.e. hold down the Ctrl and V keys at the same time (which means paste from copy area) and select the OK button, and you will have a picture like this on display:

This is how an online picture address looks like:
[iorr.org]

This is how a local picture looks like, on your own PC:
file:///C:/data/2018/cardiff/20180615-stones-cardiff-bv-01.jpg

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-31 14:33 by bv.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 31, 2018 11:54

The reasons why you are not allowed to store pictures on IORR are sevaral.

First of all copyright reasons. If you do not own the picture, you have simply taken it from a place without asking, then IORR i.e. the IORR editor - me - will be in charge legally. I get e-mail from lawyers and copyright owners almost every week, demanding me to remove pictures they own. Then it is an easy task for me to point to the address where the picture is stored, it is NOT on IORR.

Secondly, pictures do take up space. Some times megabytes, if they are raw from a digital camera. Once they are published through wordpress or other solutions, they are typically lower resolution and smaller in size. Thousands of pictures stored on IORR servers would cost more and also make it possible to stire illegal pictures.

It takes may be 10-20 seconds to post images. If it was easier then I think people would have posted too many pictures, to be honest. There is quantity and quality. I think most people have 10-20 seconds to spare, if the picture is worth going online on IORR.

Bjornulf

Date: October 31, 2018 12:01

Test

Date: October 31, 2018 12:02

That was way easier than the way I use to post pics. Thanks, Bjørnulf thumbs up

Date: October 31, 2018 12:54

I cant get the 'Copy Image Address' to work. Either it only copies the jpeg's location, or it won't copy anything. When I right click on image it only says 'Copy'.

Date: October 31, 2018 13:02

Palace Revolution 2000
I cant get the 'Copy Image Address' to work. Either it only copies the jpeg's location, or it won't copy anything. When I right click on image it only says 'Copy'.

Right-click directly on the pic (which has to be online). Then you get the option «copy image adress». Click on the image icon in your IORR toolbar, and you'll get the paste-option as well.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 31, 2018 13:53

Still, back on topic (c.q. dmay's initial question), it HAS to be online SOMEWHERE. So "(directly) from your computer " iSN'T possible.
Like Deltics pointed out: you need a site where you can upload pictures - preferably for free, ànd easy to use.

Like Imgur, f.i. (as the good Deltics mentioned);
and I know Flickr used to be very popular, but that they recently changed their user modes which made it not really top-of-the-list anymore...;
I use Myalbum.com;

...any other suggestions?

Date: October 31, 2018 13:59

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

Right-click directly on the pic (which has to be online). Then you get the option «copy image adress». Click on the image icon in your IORR toolbar, and you'll get the paste-option as well.

Thanks Dandy; you are aLways the best.
I was trying to grab a photo that I have on my C Drive; in Downloads or Documents, I guess. So, it has to be on line, out there...

Date: November 1, 2018 04:21

Test run 1.

Date: November 1, 2018 04:22

Well, that didn't work out. Back to the drawing board.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 1, 2018 04:27

Photobucket has gone back to being free again, for those who used to use that site.

Date: November 1, 2018 04:28

Once again....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 1, 2018 05:59

Hooray dmay! thumbs up

By the way, I use Shutterfly...can store thousands and maybe even millions (?) of photos on there.

Date: November 1, 2018 09:43

bust

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 09:44 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: November 1, 2018 09:46

I can't get imgur to actually show the pic in the post; all I get is link to imgur

Date: November 1, 2018 12:12

Palace Revolution 2000
I can't get imgur to actually show the pic in the post; all I get is link to imgur

After Photobucket got greedy I have stored my pics on Google Drive, and post them from there. It's a bit of a hassle, as I had to subtract and add to the image-code.

However, with Bjørnulf's method, you can post pics on IORR directly from the internet (Google pictures, for instance) - you don't have to use a third party for storing them.

Just right-click a pic you find on Google (or anywhere), choose the copy the image adress-option. Click on the image icon in your IORR toolbar, paste and you're good to go.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 1, 2018 14:12

Palace Revolution 2000

Click on the thumbnail and it will take you to the share option.

Click "copy" next to "BB Code" and paste it directly here.

Hope that helps

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 1, 2018 18:55

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

After Photobucket got greedy I have stored my pics on Google Drive, and post them from there. It's a bit of a hassle, as I had to subtract and add to the image-code.

However, with Bjørnulf's method, you can post pics on IORR directly from the internet (Google pictures, for instance) - you don't have to use a third party for storing them.

Just right-click a pic you find on Google (or anywhere), choose the copy the image adress-option. Click on the image icon in your IORR toolbar, paste and you're good to go.

Yes an easy option, but be forewarned...

I once used this method to post an image of Don Knotts here directly from someones fan page/website about 10 years ago.
Somehow, the owner of that site caught wind that I "borrowed" the image from his page, so he changed the url to some graphic X-rated photo.
The next morning, I found myself banned from here so asked bv what's the problem. He said many members reported an x-rated photo that I posted here!!! WTF? eye popping smiley
I explained to him that it was just a pic of Don Knotts, and he replied "no, no, no...it was much worse than that".
After apologizing for the mix up, he let me back in immediately, and I vowed never to "borrow" directly from another site again.

Still not sure exactly how all that happened w/the owner being able to change the url, etc., but learned my lesson...the internet is weird, and have played it safe ever since!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 18:56 by Hairball.

Date: November 1, 2018 19:30

Yeah, check the copyright and give credit where credit's duesmiling smiley

Date: November 1, 2018 22:46

And just to clarify the above scenario in case it wasn't clear - had I copied the image to my desktop from his site, and then put it on photobucket, shutterfly, etc., the url would have changed and the guy wouldn't have been able to fiddle with it. Still don't know how he was able to trace it to here and then change the url after I posted it directly from his site, but lesson learned!

Photo credit - google search, then copied and put on shutterfly, and then copied to here.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 1, 2018 22:55

Barney looks similar to how many of the IORRians must have looked when they clicked on the thread with the redirected photo cool smiley

Date: November 1, 2018 23:03

Ha yeah...never did see the changed photo myself, but imagine it was quite a shocker...enough to get immediately banned!!! eye popping smileygrinning smiley

Date: November 1, 2018 23:20

Hairball - when the naughty photo showed up, BV was following Barney's advice when some unwanted things start or happen: "Nip it. Nip it in the bud." BTW, great pix of Don Knotts. He made the Andy Griffith show, IMHO.

Date: November 2, 2018 15:45

Seriously - WTF! I appreciate everyone trying to help. I think what the problem is, is that when I right click on image of the Net, all get is "Copy Link address". I don't get 'image'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 15:46 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: November 2, 2018 15:51

Ok so I have learned that there are actually just some pics that can be posted using the BV-System. I BV-ed the one right here.
But pinterest e.g. won't let you use the BV system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 15:53 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: November 2, 2018 16:02

Palace Revolution 2000

Ok so I have learned that there are actually just some pics that can be posted using the BV-System. I BV-ed the one right here.
But pinterest e.g. won't let you use the BV system.

When using sharing/storing services, simply paste the [I M G] [/ I M G] code directly into this textbox.

Another option:

I use Google Drive (a bit complicated, but works nicely):

- If you store pics on your Google Drive, choose «share» and copy the image code that looks something like this:

[drive.google.com] (click the link and see the toolbar)

- Then, change «drive» to «docs» in the code, remove «file/d/» from the code and insert «uc?id=» instead. Remove «/view?usp=sharing» from the code.

- Lastly, add «[I M G] in front of the code and [/ I M G] at the end (without the spaces).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-02 16:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 2, 2018 18:30

Dandy, embarrassed to say I can not get this work. Either way. I used to post pics easily.
OK using BV's method...I thunk I just lucked out on that one up there. Because anything after that from online only showed up as icon or a link.
But now imgur won't even work. So I got it stored in imgur. Im looking right at the image. There seems to be two addresses for a pic.

well wtf - now it worked. I waited until I had it in my catalog; then pulled it up and got that d rop down menu that someone else had just posted. Hit the BBCode.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home