Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best show of each tour
Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: October 30, 2018 05:45

In your opinions the BEST gig of each tour....only one now....and please elaborate on your pick.

Re: Best show of each tour
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 30, 2018 07:33

'89 - LA3, huge crowd, big city and GNR
'94 - Miami, cool guests, extra songs, band in top form musically
'97 - Chicago 2, I was there and it was a near-perfect setlist and atmosphere, my favorite Stones show I ever saw
'99 - San Jose sounds good on Vault release, I was at Hartford 2 & it was ok
'02 - Wiltern Theater, last US theater date, band had it going
'05 - Boston 2, Fenway Park, new tour excitement, close with IORR, although Atlanta 1 was great also
'12/'13 - London 2, special event feel, back after 5 years
'15 - Kansas City, better of the two shows I saw

Date: October 30, 2018 14:45

Every show is the best show.

smileys with beer

Date: October 30, 2018 14:49

Who's gonna fill us in on the best show of the US 1964-tour?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 30, 2018 15:03

...Looking so forward to the best show of 2019!

Date: October 30, 2018 15:12

Edit -
from '89 on, the best Stones-related show were EASILY the two Winos tours; easily. Keith was so on fire for both of those tours. His playing was fantastic, his presence as a band leader. And I am still so impressed at the band he assembled. That was a band! And this is not a Mick vs Keith thing, but Mick couldnt get it right for solo shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 21:58 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 30, 2018 16:24

In a lot of ways, I think the openers are the best shows of each tour.

The anticipation that has been building for months,the excitement for the as yet unknown set-lists, stage, costumes, et al make them, for me, the best shows to be at.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 30, 2018 17:05

That's really hard to say.
If I try to answer this by judging the shows I've seen on the tours since 1982. I only can say, even with 10 to 15 in row you will find out: Every night is different and for different reasons special and good.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 30, 2018 17:30

Too many to mention, initially when leaving the last show I always think that was the best but the three that stick in my mind are:

Glasgow Apollo May 1982-My first Stones gig, a warm-up for the British leg of the Euro tour but what a night.

Glasgow SECC September 2003- Exquisite version of CYHMK and an outing for Mannish Boy.

Amsterdam Arena, September 2017- Fantastic performance, stage set and sound enhanced by roof being closed over. You could easily forget you were standing in the middle of a football pitch.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 30, 2018 17:38

Its too subjective. it even depends on where you sit. Who you are with......etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 17:39 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 30, 2018 18:45

MisterDDDD
In a lot of ways, I think the openers are the best shows of each tour.

The anticipation that has been building for months,the excitement for the as yet unknown set-lists, stage, costumes, et al make them, for me, the best shows to be at.

Agreed, having been there in Chicago '97 and Boston '05, it's the most exciting atmosphere

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 30, 2018 18:54

Having been to one opener at San Diego '15, I would agree that the unknown factor and general atmosphere is fantastic.
But musically speaking can't say the same as they're still working out some of the kinks, and have yet to find their groove as a band.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 30, 2018 19:53

I feel the only way I can truthfully answer this question is if I attended every show of a tour.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: October 30, 2018 21:47

In 73 would it be Brussels?

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: October 30, 2018 22:23

trick question. if you see the opener what ends up happening is the first show you see that's transcendent ends up being the best of the tour. there may be later shows that equal that first epic show of a tour but your bias is for the first epic show. for any particular show they were good, great or epic. in his book chet flippo said the third show of the '75 tour in KC was the tour's best.

see them a bunch of times and you can see a show where everyone's stepping on each others toes for two hours and they end with a perfect, absolutely smokin' jumpin' jack flash.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2018 23:21

sundevil
in his book chet flippo said the third show of the '75 tour in KC was the tour's best.

He only a handful of gigs at the beginning of the tour. Had he joined the Stones caravan mid-July he would have crowded another show (Seattle?)

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 30, 2018 23:39

a basic problem/question in rating shows is always: Have you been to a particular show or have you only been listening to the recording?
a. Having been to the show - most likely your impressions and your rating depends on more than just the music. Weather conditions might play a role as well as the nice girl (or a drunkyard) standing next to you, the location of your seat, etc etc etc

b. knowing only a recording – you rating might be influcenced by the quality of the recording, the times you have listened to the reocrding and the situation you used to listen to it (for example: if you play a given bootleg all the time during the holiday of you life (and just because it was the only music that you had in your car that time), most likely it will be the greatest music of all time – at least in your memory). On the other hand – some shows became very popular among fans because there are excellent recordings (say Brussels 1973 or Hampton 81) – but who talks about other shows of the same tours from which no or only poor redordings survived?

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: October 31, 2018 00:13

The Joint was pretty good...they were cooking then....great setlist.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 31, 2018 10:33

BluzDude
I feel the only way I can truthfully answer this question is if I attended every show of a tour.

And you'd be a very poor man by now. grinning smiley

Posted by: meck1211 ()
Date: October 31, 2018 13:12

best show Hyde park 1969.

because it was my first.

Listening to the music later: perhaps the worst one.

But I was young, my first experience outside my home country,

nice women,
lot of cider

Date: October 31, 2018 13:21

Only Bjørnulf, Nate or Topi are able to answer questions like that smoking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 31, 2018 19:19

ROLLINGSTONE
BluzDude

And you'd be a very poor man by now. grinning smiley
..yes, because my wife would take half of everything I own, not to mention the cost of attending all those shows>grinning smiley<

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 31, 2018 20:35

BluzDude
..yes, because my wife would take half of everything I own, not to mention the cost of attending all those shows>grinning smiley<

There’s always Zuma Beach. grinning smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 31, 2018 21:16

cool thread. What are generally considerd (among respected deep fans here, and their various sources too):
the 'Best' show, a handful of them from the '69 and '72 NA tours,
and also, of course, on from there; but '69ish is really when 'contemporary' sort of big rock and roll concerts started flying speaker rigs
and things became less 'mania' pop band with screams,
and more an audience that could pretty much HEAR each member, and the band working together.

There seem to be ebbs and flows; rest-breaks, and then returns to hard one-night stand kinda schedulings, amidst their longer runs (months).
I don't really know much about that, but would love to cherry-pick as this thread expands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home