Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: "Remembering Lou Reed" - 5 Years Gone
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 28, 2018 17:15

"The playlist begins in 1966 with a 28+ minute lo-fi recording of the VU performing “Melody Laughter” in Columbus, Ohio —
one of the few “listenable” live tapes made with Nico in the band.
A nearly as long instrumental “The Nothing Song” follows.
The longest track on the playlist (36:53) is unsurprisingly a VU performance of the regularly expansive “Sister Ray” from 1969 in San Francisco.
There’s also a mighty “Ocean” from that same show.

There are early-1970s solo recordings of Reed performing classic VU songs “Heroin,” “I’m Waiting For The Man,” “Sweet Jane,”
“Venus In Furs” and others, as well as his post-Velvet favorites such as “Walk On The Wild Side.”
Take a nearly four-hour dive into drone and deep jams via the playlist below:"
[www.jambase.com]

Re: OT: "Remembering Lou Reed" - 5 Years Gone
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 28, 2018 20:26

he is missed!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 28, 2018 21:20

hopkins
[www.jambase.com]

What a GREAT version of Ocean. Thanks for sharing this! thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 28, 2018 22:30

Cristiano Radtke
hopkins
[www.jambase.com]

What a GREAT version of Ocean. Thanks for sharing this! thumbs up

the ocean is a long time favorite of mine. i'm an ocean child...

Date: October 28, 2018 22:31

Lou Reed - Rock And Roll - 06/15/86 - Giants Stadium (OFFICIAL)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 28, 2018 22:32

MMMMmmm yeah …. saw Lou baby on the 74 Rock & Roll Animal Melbourne shows

Short blond coconut hair-cut …. MASSIVE sunglasses … mock tying
off on stage ….. GUITARS …..NY coolness …. the press interviews were hilarious with even talk of fake publicity ….

AC/DC were support band ….. with original lead singer Dave Evans
out front AND Who's that guy in the school uniform ???? …..hhhaa Wild shows ….

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: October 28, 2018 22:39

yes Rockman mr T.

apparently made himself available for a press junkette in '74 there.
[www.youtube.com]

pretty expert (and likely awfully artfully whackeroonied) at dealing
with the International Pop Press. Gosh his band those days had
amazingly skilled and impactful guitar work.
I really enjoyed the way he just flummoxed them all with their
own inquiries.
It sorta reminds me of that Kinks song from "Lola Vs. Powerman & The Money-Go-Round" LP, 'Top of the Pops'....

'now the melody maker wants to interview me
and ask me about my politics and theories on religion...'
(to paraphrase from memory; apologies to Mr. Davies for the inexactitude).
Ray is not one to too often settle for a cheap couplet traded for a rhyme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-29 06:50 by hopkins.

Date: October 28, 2018 22:40

[www.youtube.com]

Lou Reed - Romeo Had Juliette - New York Album
+ Index

Lou Reed - Busload of Faith - New York Album
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 22:42 by hopkins.

Date: October 28, 2018 22:46

Date: October 29, 2018 11:22

[youtu.be]

Crazy album, great track

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: October 29, 2018 16:26

Rock and Roll Animal!
From track One "Intro/Sweet Jane" to track Five "Rock and Roll", 40 minutes pure guittar driven rock

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 29, 2018 17:11

thanks for posting.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 29, 2018 17:18

Lou Reed is one of those deaths that was shocking to me and that I still haven't really gotten over.

I remember so vividly that morning waking up (of course it was a Sunday Morning, I'll never forget that) and reading that he had suddenly passed. What?! He had literally just been touring. That was a rip. There was no warning whatsoever. After it happened I went back and watched some videos of his recent appearances. He was frail and I guess hindsight is 20/20. I know there's a talk he did with Mick Rock about a month before passing where he was visibly shaking and its slightly depressing to watch. He still had that trademark attitude, but he looked damn old. He could barely talk if I remember correct.

I love him so much. Obviously so much could be said, and it has, about VU. I've always thought his solo career was slightly underrated. There's so many artists that go solo from their well known group and I just don't think live up to their past glories. Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Sting, guys I loved in their bands but never got into their solo stuff. I loved Lou's solo stuff. It was so varied but it was for the most part all so good. His first 4 albums are as solid as you can get. The first album is a true gem, Transformer is still incredible to this day. Bless David Bowie and Mick Ronson for making that album what it needed to be. Berlin is such a masterpiece. I'm glad it got recognition later in his life because it so deserved it. Sally Can't Dance is another fantastic record.

He had his stumbles but always managed to bounce back. Street Hassle was a great reinvention (or tearing down of the past), The Blue Mask is sensational, then New York which really kick started a phenomenal late era run which is greater or equal to anyone at that age. Set The Twilight Reeling and Ecstasy are fantastic records to end a legacy and show an artist finally seeming comfortable with himself. Still pushing but finally seeming to find peace. Bless Laurie Anderson for giving him that. And then, IMO, to have 3 of the greatest live albums of all time. All completely different, I don't think there's any other band like that. Rock N Roll Animal which is the rock live album to end all rock albums, its flawless (hysterically the rest of the concert released on Lou Reed Live is just not as up to snuff. They clearly picked the right material). Then Take No Prisoners which is so Lou and so amazing to have as a document. Then finally the unbelievably incredible Animal Serenade which is a career retrospective live album to end all others. If there's one thing I encourage everyone to hear if they haven't, its that. A beautiful summation, and a rare moment where Lou actually seems friendly!

There's really no one like him. I keep circling back and putting him in the same category as Dylan and Neil Young, cause they all have similar attitudes and journeys and unfortunately Lou is the only one not living from those. It still kills me to this day. One of the saddest musician deaths I've experienced so far. I just didn't think he was done yet. I always thought I'd see him live, I can't believe I never did. So much else that could be said, I could talk about him for days, but I feel thats enough for now. I can't believe its only been 5 years. Feels like we lost him so long ago. I remember that weekend or so they played the Berlin show he filmed from like 2008 at a tiny movie theater in LA. I went and it was like me and two other people in the whole theater at some midnight showing. And we all wept. It was so beautiful to see him up on the screen one last time.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 29, 2018 17:26

When his book, Life, came out, Keith was talking at NY Public Library. Before Keith was introduced, CindyC (former iorr poster) walked over to my seat and whispered to me, "That's Lou Reed sitting in front of you!" Sure enough ... it was Lou, seated next to his pal, Belzer (actor/ comedian).

Lou and Belzer left before the end of Keith's talk ... haha

Date: October 29, 2018 19:04

Lou is one of those artists that I have hardly listened to at all in latter years. I dont quite know why because he was by far one of my all-time favorites ever.
He started wearing this mantle of cranky N.Yorker too insistantly IMO. I met him twice; once in the crazy years, but I was a little too young for him to take me serious. All he told me was to cut my hair shorter and look meaner. In late years I met him with Laurie and they were SO annoying LOL. But that is all secondary.
I couldn't get into his music anymore. beginning with 'New York" so much of the music was after though. He wrote poetry, and added some kind of tune-ess. There would always be transcendent moments on every album , but noting like 70's works.

I would just like to stress this point: Lou Reed had created absolutely gorgeous passages; beautiful, gut wrenching songs. I am talking about music, arrangements now. But after "Blue Mask" he very much changed his game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-30 15:31 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 29, 2018 19:41

An artist I’ve tried to enjoy a little more than I actually do. The Velvet Underground were superb, however. Not sure if it was publishised at the time of his passing or shortly after, but I did read somewhere that his body rejected a liver transplant due to his Hepititus B. He seemingly lived such a clean life in later years. I guess the past catches up.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: October 30, 2018 00:23

I was in New York as a tourist for only a couple of days in March of 1989, Lou Reed has just released his gret New York album and in a record store maybe HMV or Tower Records I saw a little advertising about a Lou Reed concert at a place near Times Square called St James Theatre.

Thanks god I bought that ticket, I will never forget that concert, a pure rock and roll lesson.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2018 12:07

Fernandobsas
Lou Reed has just released his great New York album a

yeah I remember raving about this one. For A European teenager references like "Eleanor Bumpres" "Michael Stewart" were totally obscure to a European teen like BUT I could feel the bile and the spite of the lyrics and I totally enjoy that.

Seriously who could write that today?

"There's blacks with knives and whites with guns
fighting in Howard Beach
There's no such thing as human rights
when you walk the N.Y. streets
A cop was shot in the head by a 10 year old kid named Buddah in
Central Park last week
The fathers are lined up by
the coffins by the Statue of Bigotry
You better hold on something's happening here
You better hold on---meet you in Tompkins Square
The dopers sent a message to the cops last weekend
They shot him in the car where he sat
And Eleanor Bumpres and Michael Stewart must have appreciated that
There's a rampaging rage rising up like a plague of bloody vials
washing up on the beach
It'll take more than the Angels or Iron Mike Tyson
to heal this bloody breach
A junkie ran down a lady a pregnant dancer
she'll never dance but the baby was saved
He shot up some China White and nodded out at the wheel
and he doesn't even remember a thing
They shot that old lady
'cause they thought she was a witness
to a crime she didn't even see
Whose home is the home of the brave by the Statue of Bigotry
You got a black .38 and a gravity knife
You still have to ride the train
There's the smelly essence of N.Y. down there
but you ain't no Bernard Goetz
There's no Mafia lawyer
to fight in your corner
for that 15 minutes of fame
The have and the have nots are bleeding in the tub
That's New York's future not mine
Oh you better hold on---something's happening here".

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 30, 2018 12:10

Then came another masterpiece "Songs For Drella" then came a very godd album "Magic and Loss" then came the VU reunion which thrilled 10000's of VU fans in Europe.

Not bad for a return to form from a "1960's artist everyone had written off" huh? Dylan and the Stones didn't do as well (imo).

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 30, 2018 13:59

My favorite.
What a hassle!
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 30, 2018 14:47

Saw one of Lou's last concert's Prague 2012...In a modern theatre Divadlo Archa which only holds about 800 Great show hard to believe he died a year later..After the show i ask the soundman if he had a set-list...Cool guy he goes keep this one it's in Lou's handwriting ....Lou played Prague quite a few times also saw him in 2006...Peace.M

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 30, 2018 14:53

mikey C
Saw one of Lou's last concert's Prague 2012...In a modern theatre Divadlo Archa which only holds about 800 Great show hard to believe he died a year later..After the show i ask the soundman if he had a set-list...Cool guy he goes keep this one it's in Lou's handwriting ....Lou played Prague quite a few times also saw him in 2006...Peace.M

With respect to the 2012 tour , a recording of one of the shows was televised on one of the various US cable channels. Was that the Berlin Tour, where Steve Hunter was the lead guitarist? Thanks for the post.

Date: October 30, 2018 14:59

Not sure about Steve Hunter being there....But, besides Lou there were 3 Guitar players Which was just a sonic assault beautiful...go to setlist fm for the song's played.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 30, 2018 15:56

I went to see Lou at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1992 - Magic & Loss - I was dealing with having cancer at the time so the lyrics really resonated and helped with the stress.

Also, a year later, a 16 year old girl came to work where I worked - every now and then she would burst into tears - very distressing to see - eventually she let it out that her grandfather had recently died of cancer in her arms - as I say, every distressing to see her so sad, so.......as it had helped me, I gave her a copy of Magic & Loss..............

About six months later she said she played it and never cried about her grandfather again, instead remembering the happy times............

Lou, in the meantime, had said in an interview "This album is not for 16 year old girls" - I'd bet he would have been glad to have been wrong in that case..........

Date: October 30, 2018 16:01

The show in Prague... the tour was called VU to LULU it was on July 4th,2012..Lou only played 3 concerts after this one...Peace

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 30, 2018 16:36

mikey C
Not sure about Steve Hunter being there....But, besides Lou there were 3 Guitar players Which was just a sonic assault beautiful...go to setlist fm for the song's played.

Steve Hunter was not there. He returned for the Berlin tour in 09 or whenever it was, which was an amazing move. But then sadly he didn't stick around.

Was so hoping that VU to LULU tour made it stateside. I really always thought I'd get a chance to see him. Those setlists were good too. That last tour had a cool setlist too:

1. Brandenburg Gate
2. Heroin
3. I'm Waiting For The Man
4. Senselessly Cruel
5. The View
6. Mistress Dread
7. Street Hassle
8. Cremation
9. Think It Over
10. Walk On The Wild Side
11. Sad Song
12. Junior Dad

13. Beginning To See The Light
14. Sweet Jane

A little bit from everything. Pale Blue Eyes and White Light/White Heat thrown in a couple times as well. mikey C, you have the distinction of being at the last show he ever played Sweet Jane. Thats pretty awesome.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 30, 2018 16:43

Velvet Underground exhibit in NYC now.

[velvetunderground-experience.com]

Cool stuff!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 30, 2018 17:09

Let's talk about Sweet Jane for a minute. This is a Rock-n-Roll classic just as Smoke on the Water by respective fans. Yep- Rock-n-Roll Animal version is stellar and that separates these two songs although Deep Purple gained more popularity at the time.

I think Lou Reed Live is underrated. Vicious, Satellite of Love , Walk on Wild side are great. They were played in expressed sequence. Also, the intro to Sweet Jane actually started out as the intro to Vicious but changed early in the Euro tour before the Academy of Music concert later that year in December 1973.

Here is the actual concert list from R-n-R Animal/ Live which is still available on Amazon I hope-It's all recorded. Maybe re-released? Please correct for any reference mistakes.

Sweet Jane

How Do You Think It Feels?

Caroline Says I

I'm Waiting for the Man

Lady Day

Heroin

Vicious

Satellite of Love

Walk on the Wild Side

Oh, Jim

Sad Song

White Light/White Heat

Rock -n- Roll

Date: October 30, 2018 17:20

It has often surprised me how little love the "Live" album gets; much of the other part of the 'Animal" show. It is hardly mentioned in some write ups. The performances are just as lethal as 'Animal". "Oh Jim" is a guitar duel of the old school; one of the best ever. The way Glan, drummer is building intensity behind them.
When I was very young I was in Hamburg on the Reeperbahn once. This was in the day k'when you'd go to a Discotheque, and in many there would be hard roc'kn roll blasting. Here the dance floor was a boxing ring; elevated. The Reeperbahn was always populated by hardcore German bikers and sailors. The volume was deafening, chemicals were happening, and I stepped into the Ring with the Bikers dancing their asses off to "Oh Jim". I think it must have been a life changer.
"Sad Song" is also incredible on the Live album.
Lou has distanced himself from that tour at times because he said "Heroin" was done a bit too commercial, but Hunter and Wagner did pretty good I think. "Lady Day" is majestic; "White Light" set the standard of how that song was to be played on Bass; "How do you think it feels" in many ways may be the best song because the lyrics are just so great.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 30, 2018 17:24

Lou Reed - Street Hassle. any time

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1115
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home