Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Rod Stewart calls for a Reunion with Jeff Beck
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 26, 2018 07:51

from Ultimate Classic Rock website.
Ronnie's mate makes the news today:

"Rod Stewart used a press interview to call for a reunion with Jeff Beck, saying he’d enjoy the chance to record a blues-rock album together.
Stewart developed much of his singing style during his stint with the Jeff Beck Group in the late ‘60s,
but the pair is known for having had personality issues with each other throughout their careers.
“My voice and his guitar is a match made in heaven,” Stewart told Rolling Stone, when asked if fans should give up hope of a reunion.
“It would be a lovely thing to do. It’d be a complete left-hand turn. We did try it once,
but we couldn’t see eye to eye – I mean, a serious clash of egos, but you know, never say never.
I know it’s a cliche, but really, I’m up for it if he’s up for it. The thing is, we both want to produce. That’s the thing.”

Presented with the suggestion that an album would be “absolutely explosive,” Stewart responded,
“You’re right. You’re spot on. Well, you put it out there, my man.
Let me know what he says.”

The veteran singer said his life had never been better than at the present. “I’ve never been so content in all my life," he explained.
"I mean, look at what I’ve got. I mean, apart from the financial side of things, lovely houses,
I know that’s all materialistic stuff, but I have the most gorgeous wife,
and I have eight wonderful children, and two little ones. It’s just fabulous.”

Stewart called his divorce from Rachel Hunter in 2006 as his lowest point.
“But lo and behold, out of the sky came my darling wife, Penny," he said.
"On the same day that I broke up with Rachel, Penny appeared at the Dorchester hotel.
She was dared by one of her friends to go over and ask for Rod Stewart’s autograph, and she did.
Talk about a simple twist of fate.”

Stewart, 73, released his 30th studio album, Blood Red Roses, last month."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-26 07:55 by hopkins.

Re: OT: Rod Stewart calls for a Reunion with Jeff Beck
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 26, 2018 07:58

@#$%& Rod. He's called for too many reunions and backed out of most of them. Love ya Rod, but you can't be trusted and you've ruined a lot of things people really would have loved to see. Too little too late, and I don't trust a word out of his mouth. Loved his musical output though from like 68-75. Untouchable.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 26, 2018 10:25

Seeing him Friday night in Billings. First time since Sept '75 in hometown of Sacramento at Hughes Stadium on what I think was Ronnie's last tour with him and the Faces. Just two months after seeing Ronnnie in my first Stones show.

plexi

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 26, 2018 11:02

RollingFreak
@#$%& Rod. He's called for too many reunions and backed out of most of them. Love ya Rod, but you can't be trusted and you've ruined a lot of things people really would have loved to see. Too little too late, and I don't trust a word out of his mouth. Loved his musical output though from like 68-75. Untouchable.

Agree, sad - but mostly true. When Rod speaks of 'reunions', it's mostly bo****ks ... because he does indeed pretty much always back out, and they NEVER happen !

You're full of s**t Rod, sorry matey boy !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 26, 2018 11:19

Just got 2 tix for Ziggodome Amsterdam May 12.seen Rod about 36 years ago at the Ahoy. Yeah is full of blah blah.will be nice to see him again.
Jeroen

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 26, 2018 12:20

paulywaul
RollingFreak

Agree, sad - but mostly true. When Rod speaks of 'reunions', it's mostly bo****ks ... because he does indeed pretty much always back out, and they NEVER happen !

You're full of s**t Rod, sorry matey boy !!

Nicely put grinning smiley What you've eloquently described has happened so many times that it's just impossible to take him seriously. He did that 7 song gig in a marquee at Kenney Jones's place in Surrey 3 years ago with the 2 other surviving faces present but that's about all I can remember coming to fruition..

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2018 13:13

It's a long shot at best , but if it happens invite Ronnie as well

Date: October 26, 2018 14:05

Rolling Freak beat me to it. Too late .man. You had Mac and the other guys waiting forever.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 26, 2018 14:10

Would be nice if he'd make this happen, though.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 26, 2018 16:46

TheGreek

Oh don't worry, he will...
probably the day after The Stones announce their 2019 tour.

What a tool.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: October 26, 2018 17:49

I saw an interview once with Jeff, he said him and ROd have a love / hate relationship...Rod loves me and I hate him.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 26, 2018 17:59

It was just a remark. He said the problem would be they both want to call the shots. It's more just a nice way to say he enjoyed the results of working with him, would love to again, but doesn't expect it will happen because they always clash. Rod always wants reunions. The trouble is he expects others to be paid as sidemen. That was a problem for Mac and will be for Beck. Blame Rod or his manager.

The worst offender at the fake reunion game is Ray Davies who trots The Kinks out to make sure he gets a headline. The real content is whatever gig he's playing or the latest solo album. The reunion that never happens is just the means of guaranteeing the notice is printed and read.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 26, 2018 18:00

snorton
I saw an interview once with Jeff, he said him and ROd have a love / hate relationship...Rod loves me and I hate him.

Rod still had the wonderful line about saying he wouldn't get married again, he's just going to find a woman he can't stand and buy her a house.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 26, 2018 18:19

Link to Rod's Rolling Stone interview with Andy Greene cited in original post:

The Last Word: Rod Stewart on Fatherhood, Jeff Beck and His ‘Breaking Bad’ Obsession

The singer also reveals that he’s never cooked himself a meal and hasn’t even considered launching a farewell tour

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 26, 2018 18:48

As a Rod S. fan, I think that unfortunately everything depends on money, with Rod it is like that!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2018 19:58

Kurt
TheGreek

What a tool.
Yes he is and that is probably what will happen as Rod has really not gotten over losing Ronnie to the Glimmer Twins .

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 26, 2018 20:27

TheGreek
Kurt
TheGreek

What a tool.
Yes he is and that is probably what will happen as Rod has really not gotten over losing Ronnie to the Glimmer Twins .

His loss was our gain
smileys with beer

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 26, 2018 21:37

Testify
As a Rod S. fan, I think that unfortunately everything depends on money, with Rod it is like that!

There's no money in a Jeff Beck reunion. Jeff plays smaller venues than Rod. The Small Faces would have the same issue, because it would involve smaller venues than either Rod or Ronnie are used to playing. There is so much money in playing shows that Rod's management would talk him out of it even if he wanted to do these reunions.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 26, 2018 21:58

bye bye johnny
Link to Rod's Rolling Stone interview with Andy Greene cited in original post:

The Last Word: Rod Stewart on Fatherhood, Jeff Beck and His ‘Breaking Bad’ Obsession

The singer also reveals that he’s never cooked himself a meal and hasn’t even considered launching a farewell tour

[www.rollingstone.com]

A fun interview. Thanks. He's having a good time (and it's not all about $$).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 26, 2018 22:13

snorton

That quote was Jeff describing the 84 tour with Rod which started in Vancouver, played a handful of shows down the west coast before Jeff quit in Oakland! They did do an awesome job on People Get Ready.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 26, 2018 22:59

marianna
Testify

There's no money in a Jeff Beck reunion. Jeff plays smaller venues than Rod. The Small Faces would have the same issue, because it would involve smaller venues than either Rod or Ronnie are used to playing. There is so much money in playing shows that Rod's management would talk him out of it even if he wanted to do these reunions.
Precisely for this reason I believe it will never happen!smoking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 27, 2018 05:48

This might work if Rod let Geoffrey Arnold take the reins. If not, don't bother.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 27, 2018 06:45

DGA35
snorton

That quote was Jeff describing the 84 tour with Rod which started in Vancouver, played a handful of shows down the west coast before Jeff quit in Oakland! They did do an awesome job on People Get Ready.

Yeah, I went to the next show in the L.A. area (Irvine), and Jeff didn’t show.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2018 07:42

They performed together at the El Rey Theater in L.A. 2009 at the first of two shows.

Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart - Live at the El Rey Theatre

I was there the second night right up front/center, but Rod was a no show. Instead we were "gifted" with John Mayer which actually wasn't bad as they played a nice version of Hendrix's Manic Depression. And Joss Stone sang a tune.

From Rolling Stone: Flashback: Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck’s Surprise Reunion

"Shortly before the show, Stewart got a phone call saying that Beck was hoping he could come down to sing a couple of songs with his band.
Beck feigned complete shock when Stewart came out to sing a cover of Curtis Mayfield’s “People Get Ready,” but they’d actually run through it a soundcheck.
“It was really @#$%& great,” Stewart wrote in his memoir Rod: The Autobiography. “By the end Jeff, bless him, was in tears and we gave each other a big old hug.”'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-27 07:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 27, 2018 08:00

Hairball
They performed together at the El Rey Theater in L.A. 2009 at the first of two shows.

Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart - Live at the El Rey Theatre

I was there the second night right up front/center, but Rod was a no show. Instead we were "gifted" with John Mayer which actually wasn't bad as they played a nice version of Hendrix's Manic Depression. And Joss Stone sang a tune.

From Rolling Stone: Flashback: Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck’s Surprise Reunion

"Shortly before the show, Stewart got a phone call saying that Beck was hoping he could come down to sing a couple of songs with his band.
Beck feigned complete shock when Stewart came out to sing a cover of Curtis Mayfield’s “People Get Ready,” but they’d actually run through it a soundcheck.
“It was really @#$%& great,” Stewart wrote in his memoir Rod: The Autobiography. “By the end Jeff, bless him, was in tears and we gave each other a big old hug.”'

The video is on youtube, I don't know how to download it.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 27, 2018 08:12

TheGreek

editingh the first part or this on satuday night oct. 27...
great clip from the el ray; thanks for that.
i'd seen it but not in so long; it was refreshing, moving and great for me.
i often blabbered as a kid that Jeff was the 'best' guitar player in the whole world and really meant it. I'm not a 'deep fan' past his first forays into fusion w jan hammer; they stretched me; i wouldn't have gone for that general 'synth' driven type sounds, even at the time when they were fresh technology and otherwise fascinating....
....i was still, and am mostly still, mired in the Yardbirds stuff and then the stuff with Rod and Ron, later Nicky with Beck-Ola their second and last album.
but for me that stuff was the magic gateway to what would become speed-type metal with Ritchie Blackmore, breaking ground into hydra-like new sub-genres...
it was too much for me, that synth stuff but i followed Jeff into his meanderings w it and was ALWAYS satisfied. for me all of his lines have impact like a good story-teller or novelist or something; not that i understand those kinds of structures really; but his playing and feel is a 'language' that makes sense to me, emotionally;
sort of like the way i would listen to Ray Charles or even great songwriter Van the Man sing a fricken Phonebook; i just like the textures and vibrations that resonate from a true artist. and i think Beck nails that. I loved jimi and still do, no buts, an 'and' instead...
AND Jeff is clearly in a JIMI highest on-the-edge-original classification for me; and i think a lot of fans.
i saw him at the Capitol Theatre in Paramus NJ; ( think it was paramus. i don't think it's there anymore; lol, wherever nj town it was....
he was outstanding; that was Beck, Bogar and Appice (formerly Vanilla Fudge guys, at least one of them...i'll check....
i could not believe how good Jeff was; how he aced the highest ehters and could get your head to turn 360 degrees by wringing the shit out of one looping swooping crying whining exploding guitar note; it was incredible period.

as for the 'reunion' well you guys have crashed it for me with the hard truths that were obvious to you about Rod's many feints with Jeff...
i'm not that close to that action over the years, but obviously that's poorly done.
for me, jeff through all these decades, his rockabilly tributes; a number of special projects (each beck project is special imo) i've always been in awe.
i don't know what you call something genuinely awe-inspiring and stunning
when 'awesome' is now something commonly used for common things as an affirmative. but that guy is purely wonderful and fascinating to me.

but i wudda loved to see that happen. look at that el rey clip; btw that bass player is so talented and wondrous...

yeh...
Ron back on brllant bass and ol' rodney up front.
heartly do also feel that his '67 thru '75 stuff was, is so perfectly wonderful.
Such a distinct voice, and he's had surgeries and problems that he's worked to resolve along the long way.
still very much love his music.
I liked "Atlantic Crossing," i thought the Ian Hunter song was a good pick from a good songwrier, cause early-on, Rod surely was that imo.
After "Atlantic Crossing," my tastes were elsewhere from his directions.

Did see Faces at Fillmore East in NYC crcal "Long Player" and "A Nod s as Good as a Wink' LPs...it was the 2nd best rock and roll show I've ever seen to this day. It was just over-the-top wonderful from start to finish. It was like the best and brightest sodden cabaret bad-schoolboy-pack mentatlity. A bit of the old sauce here and there, but the precision in the expression was tight when it needed to be tight, and rubbery when it needed to roll on tnrough; it's a bad explanation forgive me; but it was sort of 'soul' songs as well as rock music. there was honky tonk and boogie woogie too....they could have been a wonderful backup band for a soul act.
Kenny was pretty marvelous in his signature roll in both versions of that group. Good ol' Ronnie and Mac were there so i have to stop right here with this part...it was flat out Jubilant and wonderful rock and roll with ten tons of heart and honky tonk groove. fer sure.

yeh it would be greatly interezsting any way it went. That wonderful young woman bass player; damn i can't believe her beautifujl name is slipping my memory banks this instant...she's hot. anybody Jeff will play with will be up to the task and then some. He is very generous and features her; let's her brilliance shine. i think rod is probably the problem like more informed fans about that stuff are saying here. i think jeff himself might have been a problem for Rod after Beck-Ola, I'm not sure about their split up.

Could someone please share about that?

I did buy the 2nd "jeff beck group' lp without Rod and Ron; and enjoyed it very much; very cool soul album actually; it seemed to me....but not in the wild class of innovation and power-thrust that Beck got to with his solo albums.
It's long been my belief that when Jimmy Page heard that stuff, he got Zep together so the guitar could get as big, mean and tough as Jeff's example.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-28 06:16 by hopkins.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 27, 2018 13:39

It's all BS from Rod, how many times has he said he would get the Faces back together with Ronnie, but Rod always prevents it from actually happening, he's not interested and to be honest i think Rod's voice is shot to pieces,( ok he can still sing the standards and ballads ) he can't sing a blues album now, that needed to happen many years ago.

These things can happen though and they can happen fast, Roger Daltry with Wilko Johnson comes to mind, but Roger has the voice, and what a lovely story that turned out to be, miracles really do happen.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Amazing story told by Rolling Stones director Julian Temple.
[www.youtube.com]

Trailer of documentary.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-27 14:11 by keithsman.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 27, 2018 18:41

Wow, great stuff on Wilko Johnson.
Thanks for posting.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 28, 2018 01:55

spikenyc
Wow, great stuff on Wilko Johnson.
Thanks for posting.

It's a pleasure smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 28, 2018 02:16

That video is amazing with Jeff Beck, particularly the fake surprise. Thats just hysterical, that they felt they needed to do that. But whatever, they are both very theatrical and it makes for a good moment. Really great performance. I still do love seeing him pop up and play with his old band mates. I love when Ronnie guests with him every now and then. Its just a full blown reunion, with any of his previous bands, are long gone pipe dreams. They should have happened decades ago. And thats fine, Rod took a different path with his career, going a bit more adult contemporary and poppy over rock. But in his time he was the frontman extraordinaire, and there are always glimpses of that when he plays with his former band members. I hold nothing against the guy, but just don't know why he chooses to rile up fans who know better with his fake reunion calls.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home