Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Most talented band ever?
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 22, 2018 23:01

DandelionPowderman
Koen
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

This is so true. No bunch of musicans are better as Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon & Roger Taylor together.

Also all 4 are hit song writers. hot smiley

What makes May, Deacon and Taylor unique in this context? To me, each and everyone of them sound less innovative and accomplished than other of their contemporaries.

I might not "get" it, though, so I'm just curious smiling smiley

Queen had so much hits, DP only a handful. So not only musicianship but also excellent songwriting by all four members. So yes, a winner.

Are you saying that the DP-songs that didn't become hits were poorer than Queen's hits, like Radio Ga Ga, Bicycle, I Want To Break Free etc?

And when did commercial success have something to do with being a talented band, except for business savvyness?

I meant that I think it's the sum of many factors: musicianship, songwriting skills, business savviness, etc.

Posted by: Al65 ()
Date: October 23, 2018 00:07

If you talk about band with talent not in one line up but in the band you have to consider the yardbirds

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2018 00:15

And for that matter you also have to consider John Mayalls Bluesbreakers...

Posted by: Al65 ()
Date: October 23, 2018 00:47

Yeah John Mayalls is a good call Peter Green and Mick Taylor stick in Clapton who played with them not sure he was a member or not Would probably edge it without the rest of the guitarist. But Alexis Korner would win it for drummers

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2018 02:10

Yes, Eric Clapton was a member of the Bluesbreakers in 1966 on arguably their best album before he went on to form Cream.

info: Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton

Full album: John Mayall and The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton

Date: October 23, 2018 08:27

The title of this thread is of course a little insane and impossible, but I just was listening to one band, and I have always thought that this was one of the very, very, very best bands ever to walk this earth. Just perfect - the true Allman Bros. With Duane, Gregg, Dickey Betts, Oakley, Jaimoe and Butch Trucks. what a freakin line up. One of those perfect symmetries.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 23, 2018 09:21

Palace Revolution 2000
The title of this thread is of course a little insane and impossible, but I just was listening to one band, and I have always thought that this was one of the very, very, very best bands ever to walk this earth. Just perfect - the true Allman Bros. With Duane, Gregg, Dickey Betts, Oakley, Jaimoe and Butch Trucks. what a freakin line up. One of those perfect symmetries.

Funny you said that, I’ve been really going back and listening to them and it’s crazy how good they were.
This whole best,most,greatest thing is a matter of opinion so that doesn’t enter into it but that original Allmans lineup is ...strong.
The whole “Rock and Roll is dead” thing freaks a lot of people out but if you just admit it and take time to look at the era as a finite thing,having a beginning and end it’s fun to fine tooth comb it and see things you missed.
For instance,After following Hendrix for most of my life I never knew he had a second guitar player at Woodstock and was using a band he played one gig in a club with before that.
But I digress,listen to Duane and tell me he didn’t come up with that signature riff on Layla,it fits with everything he did.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 23, 2018 10:33

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars anyone?

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: October 23, 2018 10:40

Palace Revolution 2000

For that type of band it's a close call between the Allmans and Santana, imo.

The band that made Santana III and Caravanserai (Carlos Santana, Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie, Michael Shrieve and the others) were very talented.

Coincidentally, this track (1972) has the same chords as Time Waits For No One smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 23, 2018 11:02

Beatles: Lennons first real solo album, Georges firsr, Maccas (well... not one album but combined efforts, singles included).

Date: October 23, 2018 11:17

Apart from George's first solo album (which was excellent), I think most of the other attempts from ALL Beatles were pretty average. And, given their enormous talents, I find that surprising.

It didn't surprise me one bit that George came up with the best album, though - he was on a great streak, songwriting-wise.

Date: October 23, 2018 15:27

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000

For that type of band it's a close call between the Allmans and Santana, imo.

The band that made Santana III and Caravanserai (Carlos Santana, Neal Schon, Gregg Rolie, Michael Shrieve and the others) were very talented.

Coincidentally, this track (1972) has the same chords as Time Waits For No One smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Dandy, por favor - great post, but Jose Chepito Areas, David Brown and Mike Carabello are the others, LOL. Yes, that early Santana was great. I love his stuff up through "Welcome", then it gets a bit muzak-y. At times.
I got to agree with Lem in a big way - the Glory Years of Rock music ended, what? - in about 73, 74? And in these days of massive overload I can STILL find bands that I have not delved into enough. I mean Hendrix...are you kidding me?
Hendrix like Miles Davis is a life-time project.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home