Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Most talented band ever?
Date: October 21, 2018 21:59

Javadave
The first Miles Davis Quintet

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Red Garland
Paul Chambers
Philly Joe Jones

thumbs up

Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock
Chick Corea
John McLaughlin
Dave Holland
Wayne Shorter
Jack DeJohnette

was a pretty good lineup as well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 22:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 21, 2018 22:03

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

This is so true. No bunch of musicans are better as Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon & Roger Taylor together.

Also all 4 are hit song writers. hot smiley

What makes May, Deacon and Taylor unique in this context? To me, each and everyone of them sound less innovative and accomplished than other of their contemporaries.

I might not "get" it, though, so I'm just curious smiling smiley

Queen's earliest works were influenced by progressive rock, hard rock and heavy metal, but the band gradually ventured into more conventional and radio-friendly works by incorporating further styles, such as arena rock and pop rock, into their music.(Wiki) So we can say that Queen's music was not rooted in blues, and that's no sin. Their musical arrangements were great, complex and musical, their live performances quite explosive, about the best selling band in the 7-tees and 8-tees. If Freddy Mercury was still alive, Queen would fill stadiums till date, just like the Stones. Conclusion: There must be something that made them quite special, without being The Muddy Waters Band baby, and all the other old school blues greats Blue & Lonesome copy cats.grinning smiley That's quite an innovative achievement, like 'm or not..

I know all this, but compared to others, like Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice, or Giles, Lake, Fripp etc., what makes Queen "more talented" - or "the winner" here?

IMO, Queen was a good band, and that's it. The sum of what they produced was bigger than its parts.

I'm not saying they are the winner, in music everybody wins. I do think Queen had a quite distinctive and renewing sound, not much rooted in 6-tees or earlier( blues based )music, unlike the (great) musicians you mention... this is the crux of the discussion, as far as I'm concerned. And isn't it true: every good band is bigger than the sum of their parts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 22:17 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 21, 2018 22:08

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

This is so true. No bunch of musicans are better as Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon & Roger Taylor together.

What makes May, Deacon and Taylor unique in this context? To me, each and everyone of them sound less innovative and accomplished than other of their contemporaries.

Queen's earliest works were influenced by progressive rock, hard rock and heavy metal, but the band gradually ventured into more conventional and radio-friendly works by incorporating further styles, such as arena rock and pop rock, into their music.(Wiki) So we can say that Queen's music was not rooted in blues, and that's no sin. Their musical arrangements were great, complex and musical, their live performances quite explosive, about the best selling band in the 7-tees and 8-tees. If Freddy Mercury was still alive, Queen would fill stadiums till date, just like the Stones. Conclusion: There must be something that made them quite special, without being The Muddy Waters Band baby, and all the other old school blues greats Blue & Lonesome copy cats.grinning smiley That's quite an innovative achievement, like 'm or not..

I know all this, but compared to others, like Blackmore, Glover, Lord and Paice, or Giles, Lake, Fripp etc., what makes Queen "more talented" - or "the winner" here?

IMO, Queen was a good band, and that's it. The sum of what they produced was bigger than its parts.

One must remember Queen was huge in Britain and Europe but not huge in North America. They were big here but not like Europe. They sold out arenas here but were never a stadium band. Zeppelin was the biggest selling band in the 70s and I`m sure Michael Jackson was the biggest in the 80s.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 21, 2018 23:06

DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

Queen had so much hits, DP only a handful. So not only musicianship but also excellent songwriting by all four members. So yes, a winner.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 22, 2018 00:04

Travelling Wilburys.
The Jimi Hendrix experience
cool smiley

Maybe Queen is the right answer. As bands go.

Date: October 22, 2018 00:33

Koen
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

Queen had so much hits, DP only a handful. So not only musicianship but also excellent songwriting by all four members. So yes, a winner.

Are you saying that the DP-songs that didn't become hits were poorer than Queen's hits, like Radio Ga Ga, Bicycle, I Want To Break Free etc?

And when did commercial success have something to do with being a talented band, except for business savvyness?

Date: October 22, 2018 00:36

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

I'm not saying they are the winner, in music everybody wins. I do think Queen had a quite distinctive and renewing sound, not much rooted in 6-tees or earlier( blues based )music, unlike the (great) musicians you mention... this is the crux of the discussion, as far as I'm concerned. And isn't it true: every good band is bigger than the sum of their parts?

I reacted on the "we have a winner"-statement smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 00:38 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:21

I have a lot of regard for the Scandinavian and Dutch symphonic rock bands such as Nightwish, Epica and especially Within Temptation.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:25

Talent is overrated and most supergroups suck.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 22, 2018 01:31

Dan
Talent is overrated and most supergroups suck.

This true.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 22, 2018 03:17

Not counting Supergroups (and perhaps even if you do) the most talent title would have to go to The Beatles.
Their individual solo careers alone is pretty strong evidence of their talent as individuals.
Fun fact: George Harrisons debut solo album sold over three times Macca's or Lennon's- and they were huge successes.

Much as I prefer the Stones, pound for pound more individual talent in the Beatles.
Everyone else are *also rans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 06:04 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 22, 2018 03:27

There isn't any. That's like saying who is the prettiest women. Subjective

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 03:29 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 22, 2018 10:17

ThePaleRider
So many talented musicians...but my vote goes to the band that played in Brussels on October 17, 1973.

...and some further concerts in 1973 preserved on bootlegswhich show that Brussels actually captured the live sound back then, for example London 1973 Sept, 8 first show

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 22, 2018 10:51

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

Do you think Michael Giles, Greg Lake, Ian McDonald and Robert Fripp are rooted in the blues?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 22, 2018 11:25

More Hot Rocks
There isn't any. That's like saying who is the prettiest women. Subjective

That's true. But I think the beautiness of this thread is to point out different possible answers to the (rhetorical?) question, that is, there are so many ways to look at it, and it is a great reminder how many different types of talent and groups there are.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 11:25 by Doxa.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 22, 2018 11:37

This thread is a recognition of great musicians, past and present.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 22, 2018 11:45

Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies with Mitch Mitchell on drums.

Date: October 22, 2018 12:39

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

Do you think Michael Giles, Greg Lake, Ian McDonald and Robert Fripp are rooted in the blues?

[www.youtube.com]

Blackmore and John Lord are the ones that I was thinking of. Fripp, not, Ive seen him with King Crimson in 1984, everything but the blues. The venue was filled, about 500 people in Nijmegen, the hardcore fans, like me. What is it then, that makes Queen, not blues-based as well, so big? There must be an answer.

Date: October 22, 2018 12:58

You don't have to be blues-based to turn big? And Brian May was pretty rooted in the blues, wasn't he? The classical stuff he plays are only cosmetic - bits and pieces..

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 22, 2018 13:21

Casual observation: Maybe it's a generational thing or a bit of the old highbrow but other than a few nods like Hairball's to the Clash this thread seems to have totally disregarded a chunk of the 70's from Glam to Punk. Not that I'm a huge fan of them but the likes of The Jam, Stranglers, Clash, The Police, Talking Heads, Blondie etc were all 'talented bands'.

As for the early 70's (and people may scoff) I'm going for Slade. Love them. Take away the silly suits and hats and you'll find a supremely talented band, a full package of songwriting, great musicianship, live performance and large personalities.

Date: October 22, 2018 13:47

DandelionPowderman
You don't have to be blues-based to turn big? And Brian May was pretty rooted in the blues, wasn't he? The classical stuff he plays are only cosmetic - bits and pieces..

He certainly uses blues scales. He's not the juicy type of blues player that I like.
And indeed, you don't have to be blues-based to turn big, lots of examples out there.

Btw, "39" is my favourite Folk "Queen song".winking smiley

"39"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-22 13:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: October 22, 2018 13:58

DandelionPowderman
Koen
DandelionPowderman
Ladykiller
Koen
Ladykiller
QUEEN

And we have a winner!

Are you saying that the DP-songs that didn't become hits were poorer than Queen's hits, like Radio Ga Ga, Bicycle, I Want To Break Free etc?

And when did commercial success have something to do with being a talented band, except for business savvyness?

i don't think deep purple even cared about having hits

Date: October 22, 2018 17:33

The Police

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 22, 2018 17:43

The Faces

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 22, 2018 18:10

Javadave
The first Miles Davis Quintet

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Red Garland
Paul Chambers
Philly Joe Jones

Good choice! The second quintet with Herbie, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams (Wayne Shorter I could take or leave) was pretty smoking too.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 22, 2018 18:16

THE CREAM

Well,the musicians (Baker/Bruce/Clapton) thought they were.
Hence the name.

Posted by: KevinLocksPerm ()
Date: October 22, 2018 18:26

THE BEATLES

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2018 18:29

Great - and varied - opinions here. I was hoping for more comments/thoughts on Dirty Mac.

Yoko joining in docked them many points.......

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 22, 2018 18:42

Most talented? Beatles, I suppose. Technically.

Best/favorite, for me personally? The Rolling Stones.....by a Moonlight Mile.

People have asked why I love the Stones so much, which could be another thread if it hasn't been one already. It's hard to put into words, but its the whole arc of the music and the story. They hit me in the soul like nobody else. Are they the most talented, I don't know. Are they the most incredible band to me, yes.

A group or an artist could be, on paper, the most successful, the best educated, the most academically trained, etc., and not move someone at all.

As someone pointed out, this is all so very subjective. An interesting question though.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 22, 2018 22:51

I always thought pure musicianship, the band Yes was about as good as you could get.

Not saying the most fun to watch, best songs, none of that, just each person really being enough of a standout in their field (even Jon Anderson if you consider the voice as an instrument) to make them one technically gifted band.

Obviously there are better guitar players, bassists, drummers, keyboardists, but as a sum of their parts, they're hard to beat.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home