Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Tina Turner: Mick is a great storyteller and he can outtalk anyone on the planet.
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 20, 2018 01:59

keithsman
keefriff99
MisterDDDD
keithsman
I don't care what Tina says i don't pick up that Mick is a particularly good story teller or that he talks more than anyone else, he is however witty and funny at times, perhaps he saves the story telling part of himself for close friends and family because there is little evidence of it from interviews available to us.
Um. You explicitly stated this.
Some may have continued to read your "perhaps" qualifiers, but C'mon.
I think you have me mixed up with someone else.

He mixes up everything and just see's what he wants to see because he likes to put people into boxes, he will choose to miss out the bit that says Mick is funny and witty and saves his story telling to the people closest to him.
MisterDDD is one of the reasons its impossible for me to enjoy posting here on iorr, which is a pity because i like the guy as a fan, he just likes to police things to the point of trying to take away the right of opinion unfortunately.
Nonsense.
Easy mistake.

Just as easily as some like to "mick bash", I like to very rarely answer it back. Deal.

Re: Tina Turner: Mick is a great storyteller and he can outtalk anyone on the planet.
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 02:01

It's possible to have the following two thoughts:

1. Mick is so guarded and cagey as an interviewee that Tina's description of him feels at odds simply based on what we (as fans) have seen of him over the last several decades.

2. HOWEVER, Tina knows a private Mick that we as fans will never be privy to, so she obviously knows of what she speaks, and I have no reason to question her veracity.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: October 20, 2018 02:07

MisterDDDD
keithsman
keefriff99
MisterDDDD
keithsman
I don't care what Tina says i don't pick up that Mick is a particularly good story teller or that he talks more than anyone else, he is however witty and funny at times, perhaps he saves the story telling part of himself for close friends and family because there is little evidence of it from interviews available to us.

He mixes up everything and just see's what he wants to see because he likes to put people into boxes, he will choose to miss out the bit that says Mick is funny and witty and saves his story telling to the people closest to him.
MisterDDD is one of the reasons its impossible for me to enjoy posting here on iorr, which is a pity because i like the guy as a fan, he just likes to police things to the point of trying to take away the right of opinion unfortunately.
Nonsense.
Easy mistake.

Just as easily as some like to "mick bash", I like to very rarely answer it back. Deal.

Its not a Mick bash to say he is funny and witty, but probably saves his story telling side of himself to family and close friends.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 20, 2018 02:27

ryanpow
Mick is a complex guy with many sides. I think he has it in him to write a great auto bio but he's very guarded. I can see him talking himself out of it before he even starts.

Mick is not any more complex than you and me or anybody else. What fans who usually don't know him personally project into him is a different story. And, of course, I'm talking about character, not life's experiences.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2018 03:06

I don't know the guy personally, but I can make an educated guess into his personality, and why or why not he'd write his life's story. sure, maybe it's a little silly but we are on a fan site.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 20, 2018 05:09

I read a quote from Mick a few years ago, that he agreed a deal to write his autobiography but in the end he couldn't be bothered so gave the down payment/advance back...........can't remember any more details

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2018 06:25

The first 35 years or so of his life might be interesting to read, but beyond that might get a bit boring.
"And then I traveled to a private island and ate caviar. And then I had another affair...and we drank alot of champagne. And then I had a role in Freejack...then had another kid...and did I mention my solo albums...."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 06:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: October 20, 2018 08:00

People can put up a facade in public and be very different in private. I’ve seen it with people who aren’t famous. It would take volumes to write about Mick’s life. He can do more in 10 years than most people do in a lifetime.
Maybe he could do a book of his own pictures and poems. He’s always writing. And, traveling.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2018 13:27

Interesting little info by Tina. I can't say I am totally surprised, despite the fact that a 'great storyteller' is not something Mick has come across in public. But as pointed here, Jagger has always been very guarded and there is not much we can imply from the basic of his public appearances. Most likely his friends and family know a very different Jagger than we do. I recall reading in Marianne's bio saying something similar what Tina says, but more importantly, Jagger told all the time to Marianne that never show any real emotions of anything of your private self in public - just be 'cool'. That was something Marianne had problems with. And if memory serves that was the hardest part to live with Mick Jagger. To have that strong distinction between private and public life/selves.

By contrast, Keith Richards comes across as a great story-teller in public, but I don't think that trait is any natural born ability. To me that looks like a part of "Keef" image, a part of the game to cope with the public he has learned and developed along the years. Actually I have always always admired Keith's self-development and self-creation from this young, shy and quiet inward-going person from London suburbs to this international man of world, whose charisma and stories can charm anyone. By his own actions and and self-creation he has turned almost to be like a Nietszhean super-man to define all his own norms and conducts (not that the other Twin isn't anything less as far as ethics and way of life goes). One of the reasons I was a bit disappointed with LIFE was that of that story was left out - Keith's recollections and re-descriptions of the past came all through from the recent perspective - like he had been this self-secure outward-going "Keef" character straight from the beginning. He denies that he ever has been anything else. One of the oddest things about Keith's self-reflection is that of denying that he is or ever been 'shy'- something we have heard from so many sources who know the man very well - from his mother to Jagger, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. I have always wondered why is that such a big issue for Keith, because I don't see anything 'bad' in being a shy person.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 13:30 by Doxa.

Date: October 20, 2018 13:40

Doxa
Interesting little info by Tina. I can't say I am totally surprised, despite the fact that a 'great storyteller' is not something Mick has come across in public. But as pointed here, Jagger has always been very guarded and there is not much we can imply from the basic of his public appearances. Most likely his friends and family know a very different Jagger than we do. I recall reading in Marianne's bio saying something similar what Tina says, but more importantly, Jagger told all the time to Marianne that never show any real emotions of anything of your private self in public - just be 'cool'. That was something Marianne had problems with. And if memory serves that was the hardest part to live with Mick Jagger. To have that strong distinction between private and public life/selves.

By contrast, Keith Richards comes across as a great story-teller in public, but I don't think that trait is any natural born ability. To me that looks like a part of "Keef" image, a part of the game to cope with the public he has learned and developed along the years. Actually I have always always admired Keith's self-development and self-creation from this young, shy and quiet inward-going person from London suburbs to this international man of world, whose charisma and stories can charm anyone. By his own actions and and self-creation he has turned almost to be like a Nietszhean super-man to define all his own norms and conducts (not that the other Twin isn't anything less as far as ethics and way of life goes). One of the reasons I was a bit disappointed with LIFE was that of that story was left out - Keith's recollections and re-descriptions of the past came all through from the recent perspective - like he had been this self-secure outward-going "Keef" character straight from the beginning. He denies that he ever has been anything else. One of the oddest things about Keith's self-reflection is that of denying that he is or ever been 'shy'- something we have heard from so many sources who know the man very well - from his mother to Jagger, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. I have always wondered why is that such a big issue for Keith, because I don't see anything 'bad' in being a shy person.

- Doxa

Infer?

Imply .... [www.google.com]

Infer .... [www.google.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 20, 2018 14:02

EddieByword

Infer?

Yep. Thanks.

- Doxa

Date: October 20, 2018 14:11

Doxa
EddieByword

Infer?

Yep. Thanks.

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 20, 2018 17:39

keithsman
keefriff99
MisterDDDD
keithsman

no...no...no......he's actually saying what a lot of people are thinking..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 20, 2018 18:02

Why make it personal? Someone writes a post you don't agree with so you write a post expressing your view. Some people agree with the other guy and some people agree with you. That's an interesting discussion.

Date: October 20, 2018 18:04

Rip This
keithsman
keefriff99
MisterDDDD
keithsman

no...no...no......he's actually saying what a lot of people are thinking..

That people can only say positive things about Mick ?, yes a lot of people are positive about Mick and so they should be as Stones fan's, but what i object to is being accused of hate and Mick bashing for saying that perhaps Mick isn't the greatest story teller in interviews, we have seen him witty and funny however in a fair number of interviews, i mean he is clearly very sharp.. So yes he probably saves the story telling part of himself to the people he feels close to, or comfortable with.
My point is it's not necessary to call people haters and Mick bashers over an opinion that is not offensive towards Mick or other posters.
Basically we base our comments on the opinion we form from the footage that is available to us, its not hate, its not bashing, it's just how we see it, why is that a problem for some posters, why the suggestion of censorship, this is what we do here on iorr, we give our opinion on everything Rolling Stones, as long as we are not insulting others or name calling it shouldn't be a problem to anyone.

Date: October 20, 2018 19:15

This is the sort of stuff we run into all the time if everything is not always complementary about Mick. Its tiresome. Just in this thread alone that hasn't had any insults towards Mick.

MisterDDD . Just as easily as some like to "mick bash", I like to very rarely answer it back. Deal.
The Mick hate runs deep

Its as though any opinion that is not complementary, or seen to differ from the majority is seen as hate or bashing, this is what's wrong with the world today on a much broader sense, reality is based on what most people agree to believe, but is it the truth, is the majority opinion of this band from posters the whole truth, and this uncharacteristic reality of the Stones, from a band that began as anti establishment, the Stones were rebellious outlaws, they took a brave stance with two fingers pointed at authority, my how times have changed especially as far as their fans are concerned. Take Keith for instance, he's only too happy to tear apart other bands and insult today's performers, he's not so PC, even Mick still has this energy and refuses to be taken over by the new upstarts or put down as too old to Rock, he bloody mindedly continues to be the biggest most successful performer on the planet, he threw away the rule book, he makes his own reality, no matter he is 75, he refuses to lay down and pass over the gauntlet, in their own way they are still rebelling, that's the reality of the Stones today, still coming out fighting refusing to go along with expectation or what others think they should do because they are old .That's why i love this band, not for the crusty old farts that try to censor opinions on here.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:05

keithsman
This is the sort of stuff we run into all the time if everything is not always complementary about Mick. Its tiresome. Just in this thread alone that hasn't had any insults towards Mick.

MisterDDD . Just as easily as some like to "mick bash", I like to very rarely answer it back. Deal.
The Mick hate runs deep

Its as though any opinion that is not complementary, or seen to differ from the majority is seen as hate or bashing, this is what's wrong with the world today on a much broader sense, reality is based on what most people agree to believe, but is it the truth, is the majority opinion of this band from posters the whole truth, and this uncharacteristic reality of the Stones, from a band that began as anti establishment, the Stones were rebellious outlaws, they took a brave stance with two fingers pointed at authority, my how times have changed especially as far as their fans are concerned. Take Keith for instance, he's only too happy to tear apart other bands and insult today's performers, he's not so PC, even Mick still has this energy and refuses to be taken over by the new upstarts or put down as too old to Rock, he bloody mindedly continues to be the biggest most successful performer on the planet, he threw away the rule book, he makes his own reality, no matter he is 75, he refuses to lay down and pass over the gauntlet, in their own way they are still rebelling, that's the reality of the Stones today, still coming out fighting refusing to go along with expectation or what others think they should do because they are old .That's why i love this band, not for the crusty old farts that try to censor opinions on here.

Misspelled.. "This is the the sort of stuff we run into rarely" for those of us who constantly find a way to bash him, regardless of the thread".

What a load of dribble.
It's not about genuine criticism or differing opinions.
It's about the ridiculous lengths some go to in their efforts to insult or minimize the "Commander". Including repeatedly imagining they know more than the first hand accounts of people who do as example. Hate may be too strong, but the personal resentment is prevalent and consistent by several posters.

Sorry you took such personal offense at my pushback.
Personally, I couldn't care less about your opinion of me or my posts.
More accurately I guess I could, and now do.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:19

I mean life is quite a journey isn't it....when we get into our 50's and 60's...most of us have enough learned experiences to write a book. Laugh if you want...yeah who's going to read it you ask. It's true though, the journey changes you through time...hopefully for the better....and every one of us has an interesting story...if written correctly and succinctly.

If Mick were really to write a book of his honest chosen anecdotes, and relate them to what he has learned in life, and how it changed him to the man he is now, it would be a pretty good read....it would require honesty. Not a daily diary or history of The Stones.....an honest story about his opinion of life....maybe including his thoughts on his behaviors in public, and in private. You all would buy it.........could Mick Jagger do that.....why would he? To do it right it would be exposing his private self to YOU......and I think he does that enough. Besides he doesn't need the money. Maybe he could write something like that once he retires from the live staqe....like Tina did... and then you'd have to have the right credentials to buy it....like prove you are Elton John, or Tina Turner....and then pay thousands of dollars.

Why write all of that down for a personality on a Stone fansite with the username DOGBARF_ROOM_TEN_oh_9....so they could argue for thousands of pages about what he should have done? On the other hand, what someone here suggested he could write a book of poetry and other storytelling musings, because he's an artist....and leave it up to the reader to assign meaning....you'd all buy that one...because that one wouldn't require celebrity status and other credentials that come with that status.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 20, 2018 20:32

"He can outtalk anyone on the planet". Judging from that statement I get the impression that Tina isn't a well-read person. A rather silly assertion to begin with. I think we are jumping to conclusions here.

Date: October 20, 2018 20:52

Stoneage
"He can outtalk anyone on the planet". Judging from that statement I get the impression that Tina isn't a well-read person. A rather silly assertion to begin with. I think we are jumping to conclusions here.

Her quote on Jagger is from an interview about what she reads.......she seems fairly diverse and constant in her reading material.....maybe not as well read as DOGBARF_ROOM_TEN_oh_9.....but what do I know?

Tina Turner By The Book

Date: October 20, 2018 21:06

Stoneage

She wants to meet my Italian friend, in Italian, she could give an American livestock auctioneer a run for his money.................eye popping smiley>grinning smiley<eye popping smiley

Date: October 20, 2018 21:07

MisterDDDD
keithsman

The Mick hate runs deep

Misspelled.. "This is the the sort of stuff we run into rarely" for those of us who constantly find a way to bash him, regardless of the thread".

What a load of dribble.
It's not about genuine criticism or differing opinions.
It's about the ridiculous lengths some go to in their efforts to insult or minimize the "Commander". Including repeatedly imagining they know more than the first hand accounts of people who do as example. Hate may be too strong, but the personal resentment is prevalent and consistent by several posters.

Sorry you took such personal offense at my pushback.
Personally, I couldn't care less about your opinion of me or my posts.
More accurately I guess I could, and now do.

Fair enough MisterDDDDD i hear what you're saying, but do you not think Mick and Keith leave themselves open to a degree of criticism, it's par for the course, it goes with the territory, they can't please all the people all the time, its just not possible. So yeah, people will bang on about setlists and girlfriends that are too young and Keith smoking in front of a pregnant lady interviewer and not rehearsing properly etc etc, it's life and we as fan's have spent a lot of hard earned money on this band over the years and if we are disappointed in some way ( like where is the new album ? ) it's only natural to comment and have something to say, otherwise iorr would not exist.

Date: October 20, 2018 21:13

EddieByword
Stoneage

She wants to meet my Italian friend, in Italian, she could give an American livestock auctioneer a run for his money.................eye popping smiley>grinning smiley<eye popping smiley

smileys with beer

Date: October 20, 2018 21:26

onestep
Stoneage

Her quote on Jagger is from an interview about what she reads.......she seems fairly diverse and constant in her reading material.....maybe not as well read as DOGBARF_ROOM_TEN_oh_9.....but what do I know?

Tina Turner By The Book

Thanks. Seems like she likes New Age. Deepak Chopra and alike. And she thinks she was Hatshepsut in an earlier life. I wouldn't necessarily constitute that as well-read. Some might though.
Of course she is entitled to her opinion that Jagger "can outtalk anyone on the planet". As well as I, or any other part, have the right to disagree with that. Not a big deal.

Date: October 20, 2018 21:26

...double post...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-20 21:28 by Stoneage.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 20, 2018 21:57

He's a great storyteller to her because she's a female and he most likely was making a play for her. Come on fellas all guys do it. Men have thousands of stories to slay a women. It's the oldest trick in the book.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 20, 2018 22:13

I think writing about your life would be really hard. I've never been able to even keep a diary. When Ive looked back on what I wrote down I feel like it's too much rooted in how I felt/ saw things at the time I wrote it and it is not accurate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 01:26 by ryanpow.

Date: October 21, 2018 01:01

I remember an interview with Bill Wyman while he was still with the Stones, he was saying that Mick was in the process of beginning to write a biography, when he kept ringing up Bill to ask him times and dates of things, Bill said to Mick write your own book, he got fed up with Mick by the sound of it, probably because Bill was writing his own biography.
I think the general consensus at the time was that Mick didn't have a good enough memory of the past to write his book, and so returned his advance to the publisher for the book.

Personally i think its more likely that Mick finds looking back into the past a bit boring, he's a more now and tomorrow kind of guy, i doubt he has the inclination to write his biography, plus when you think about it, it was far to early for Mick to write his life story back then when his life story wasn't even half way through at that point..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-21 01:17 by keithsman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 21, 2018 05:07

Men have thousands of stories to slay a women. It's the oldest trick in the book.

So do the ladies probably even more so …..

The stranger in a strange land and the grieving widow were the best two I ever heard ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: October 21, 2018 13:00

Rockman
Men have thousands of stories to slay a women. It's the oldest trick in the book.

So do the ladies probably even more so …..

The stranger in a strange land and the grieving widow were the best two I ever heard ……

grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home