Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Drake's Columbus Masterpiece
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:19

Drake,

This is excellent. Aside from a little tell-tale echo on the vocals, this hovers near soundboard quality! This blows away most aud. recordings I have heard. Each instrument is distinct, the guitars are very clear and right where they should be! The highs are crisp and the lows are clear. It sounds best when turned up to 11!

You deserve all of the kudos you are receiving...best boot of the tour so far! And best mix of an aud. recording I have heard yet (imo)!

Now, you gotta watch for some jake-leg boot label to steal it and market it! I'm sure Cool, Cool, Hand is chomping at the bit!

Good work, Drake!

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 17:21 by Ross.

Re: Drakes Columbus Masterpiece
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:24

Yeah, it really sounds great. The amazing thing to me is that the recorder he used goes for about $200-$300 and the microphones for about $100. At least I think I am remembering that right. But the real reason it sounds so good is the great mixing job he did on it. I heard the raw recording before mixing and it wasn't nearly as good.

I swear, I am thinking about taking up a collection to buy Drake a ticket to one of the shows after the holiday break (when hopefully the setlist will have changed) just so we can get another great recording!

Re: Drake's Columbus Masterpiece
Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:26

Good idea with the collection...

Date: September 29, 2005 17:27

I'm in!

Ross

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:44

It is great quality, yes, but I wouldn't say it is near soundboard quality. When you have a good amplifier, speakers, CD player and an equalizer, the others will sound almost just as good. You just have to crank up the highs a bit.

But it's still a great bootleg!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:50

I have not heard it yet, still keeping the line open to help 9 VERY SLOW peers to complete their d/l.

I read in the notes it was "mastered/mixed/finalized".

What was done exactly?

C

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:52

You can't really mix a stereo recording. But it does sound cool. What he probably did was try to take out unnecessary sounds like "@#$%& YEAH!!!", and equalized it a bit.

Date: September 29, 2005 17:53

i got it in just 2 hrs yesterday
thats not long
i don't know why people have problems with it

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:57

I am also in for the collection.

Date: September 29, 2005 17:59

Reptile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is great quality, yes, but I wouldn't say it is
> near soundboard quality. When you have a good
> amplifier, speakers, CD player and an equalizer,
> the others will sound almost just as good. You
> just have to crank up the highs a bit.

Obviously, nobody is going to mistake it for soundboard, but it's about as close as you are going to get from an aud recording. Far superior to the others from this tour.

Ross

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 29, 2005 18:13

Not to detract from Drake's nice recording, but the hoopla over this points out something that hasn't been really noted much:

Folks making Stones recordings generally don't know what the hell they're doing. Drake is one of the rare exceptions. Other acts have legions of people doing recordings of this caliber all the time. I don't know the reason - but it's always amazed me that in general Stones audience recordings are generally well below par compared to the general population of audience recordings.

Maybe in addition to doing nice recordings, Drake ought to lend his coaching services to others so that we may have more recordings of a high quality.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 29, 2005 18:14

Where do we find this? smiling smiley

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: September 29, 2005 18:48

Thank you Drake for a very nicely done recording, outstanding compared to the rest from this tour.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 29, 2005 19:35

Excellent work, Drake!

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 29, 2005 19:41

Holy cow, does keith blow the intro to "brown sugar." Wow... did he get hit by fireworks or something?

Thanks drake!

cc

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 29, 2005 19:46

cc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Holy cow, does keith blow the intro to "brown
> sugar." Wow... did he get hit by fireworks or
> something?
>
>

Isn't that just the "new way" of playing this now? :-)

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 29, 2005 20:10

Great recording yes, very clear, no annoying audience etc. But the overall sound is not my preference (high midtones, like an old radiosound). I reworked the concert with Audition. I did put some bass and high tones in it, so now it sounds much more powerfull.

Thanks for the recording Drake!

Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 30, 2005 04:35

I may go back and remix it someday but everyone was definately itching for this one to come out. I'll probably drop down the mids a bit, get rid of some of the hiss by crunching the volume with a harsh limiter (i used low sensitivity mics due to my close position to the PA - section 102) The lows are pretty decent but could come up a bit. Overall I felt good enough with it to put out. In a few weeks once the hype has died down on this I will post my recording of Nashville from 2002. Far and wide the best boot (soundwise) of the entire Licks tour, IMO.

take care
Drake

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home