Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What are they afraid of?
Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 29, 2005 13:16

Why not more songs from A Bigger Bang? What the heck are the Stones afraid of? Coming up on a month from the release of the album and still the same 5 songs (2 of them Keith no less!!!!!!) 5 out of 16 is NOT a good percentage.

Re: What are they afraid of?
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 29, 2005 13:19

They have to play it LIVE and YOU have to be able to nail it as trained
musicians . Cant hide in the studio and pretend you are the greatest rock and
roll band.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 29, 2005 13:20

5?

I only make it 4

Rough Justice, Oh No, Infamy and (occasionally) Back of My Hand

keith's only played one song from ABB

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:15

Gazza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 5?
>
> I only make it 4
>
> Rough Justice, Oh No, Infamy and (occasionally)
> Back of My Hand
>
> keith's only played one song from ABB

I like your accuracy Gazza !

but I think the same as "sladog".
This ABB cd has other hits that we would like to hear live.
What are they waiting for ??

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:19

They could easily play one third of the show from ABB and no one would complain.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:19

"They have to play it LIVE and YOU have to be able to nail it as trained
musicians . Cant hide in the studio and pretend you are the greatest rock and
roll band."

Whats THAT all about?

Aint this the first time in ages that they've played 4/5 NEW songs during a gig?

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:29

I don't think that performing 8 or 10 songs from ABB (out of 20 -21) is a good idea. Also, since 1989 the Stones only on Voodoo Lounge tour were playing 7 songs from the new album.
On the american leg of the 1989 tour they were playing, at the beginning, only 3 songs from Steel Wheels (Sad- Sad- Sad, Mixted Emotions, Pock And The Hard place). After many many shows they added 2 more (Terrifying, Can't Been Seen).
In 1997 they started playing only 2 songs from B2B album (Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control) and after many concerts added two (Flip the Switch, Saint Of Me)

OK, ABB is great but i hate the idea of "a new album play list".

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:42

Bärs says: "They could easily play one third of the show from ABB and no one would complain".

No one would complain? I'm not sure. The 90% of the audiences (including a lot of "hardcore fans") are dying for many "warhorses". The fans want more older "unusual" stuff, like Sway, Get Off My Cloud or 19th Nervous Breakdown. So we need some balance here... Now they play 4 songs from ABB. OK, they could add one or two, but no more. And 6 songs is close to "one third of the show"...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:45

I think 4-5 is pretty reasonable (usually its 3 or 4)

Even if they kept it to that amount, it would be nice to get some variety, however as they havent introduced any more ABB songs since the tour started

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: September 29, 2005 14:51

Yes thats' right they should stick to 4 songs from ABB but they can change every night the 4 songs.

That would be perfect winking smiley

. they promote the excellent album
. they change the setlist every show

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: September 29, 2005 15:33

I think they shouldn't play more than four new songs a show.Just,let's face it,new stuff is not as near as great as old.It's the old stuff that makes them the greatest band in the world.Just can't understand those who want to hear ten new songs in a single show.That would certainly ruin the show.Rough Justice and Back of my hand are typical generic stuff,saved only by a great guitar performance.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: September 29, 2005 15:34

I thought Keith had did "This place is empty". Maybe I'm wrong though.

So, ok...only 4. FOUR!! Give me a break.

Also, for those of you saying "give them time"...we have! It's been almost a month since the release of ABB. They have not gone up but down. Now, they only play 3 from the new CD. That is pathetic.

Date: September 29, 2005 15:40

Happy bloomin bunch eh! Aint read any reviews that say its a crap show though eh......
Large proportion of the general public probably aint interested in the new stuff so why include loads of ABB in the set? Bums on seats, thats what the Stones are after.....

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: September 29, 2005 15:56

Well, I think seven new songs would be great. Keith could play both of his ABB songs. Then ONNYA, RJ SOL, BOMH and e.g. SSMC/RFD/BM/LMDS/LWTCDI. A handful of warhorses and then ten songs covering all decades, and representing different degrees of rareness. That's the set I'd like them to tour on.

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: September 29, 2005 16:11

Screw that, I don't want to hear the new garbage, just the famous ones.

Oily.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: September 29, 2005 16:42

The new album is GREAT!!

Wake up everyone who is still living in 1972...!!

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:00

I can see them only playing four songs from ABB, as most of the audience just wants to hear the hits. But, as others have said, they should rotate which ones they play. Apparently She Saw Me Coming was soundchecked recently so hopefully we will get that one soon. Also dying to hear It Won't Take Long and This Place Is Empty live.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:12

Adding more would only confuse Ronnie

Date: September 29, 2005 17:39

YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN! Next.....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 29, 2005 17:57

they're scared girly men

Posted by: EalingClub ()
Date: September 29, 2005 19:22

I think they should have released the album as they were announcing the tour. People would have bought the album and become familiar with the songs. It probably would have gone to numero uno. In 1978 they played most of Some Girls in stadiums so I don't really buy the argument that they have to play mostly warhorses in stadiums. By playing so few songs off the new one it is almost as if releasing the album was an afterthought. If it is so good, then play it.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: September 29, 2005 21:18

Marquess - I prefer to stay in 1972, listening to the BEST GODDAMN Rock & Roll
that was ever delivered from a Rolling Stones stage!!!! MLC

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 29, 2005 22:24

Have fun living in the past. At least you admit it. When you finally listen to the new album MLC I think you will find a few surprises.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 29, 2005 22:29

My impression is that they feel that no one is really interested in anything new they create anymore except for die-hard fans, no matter how good it may be. Sadly, they may be right.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 30, 2005 01:48

Just wait and see. There will be more from the new album. And look at the setlist now. It changes quite a lot. Get off of my cloud was recently introduced.. Looks good to me, and we have a lot more to expect. A month is nothing for a band that tours 18 months.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:09

As long as The Stones isn`t a "has been" band, they should play more new stuff, no matter what the ticket buyers say, what so ever!!

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: September 30, 2005 03:17

"In 1997 they started playing only 2 songs from B2B album (Anybody Seen My Baby, Out Of Control) and after many concerts added two (Flip the Switch, Saint Of Me)"

To my knowledge, I thought the Stones added more songs from B2B as the tour progressed, even if they weren't regularly played.
-Thief In The Night
-You Don't Have To Mean It
-Low Down
-Already Over Me (played at MSG, right?)
and maybe even more?
That would be at least 8/13 but it could be more. Maybe it's b/c B2B is such a kickass albumsmiling smileysmiling smiley!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home