Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Open Tunings in Studio Other Then on Slide
Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: July 30, 2018 21:13

I was wondering other then Keith playing all the studio open tunings on songs other than slide and without me listening to every song with headsets who has played more in open tunings RW or MJ on studio songs.

For example on She's So Cold - Keith is playing in standard because he is playing the chuck berry licks and I know there is an open g guitar could be keith dubbed or is that RW.

Mick Jagger plays open tunings on Winter and Moonlight Mile and I think on Don't Stop. I would guess that Mick played more open tunings then RW on studio records.You have the master of open tunings with Keith and much of the stones material had Keith's signature open tunings so there was no need for RW or Mick to play in open tunings.

Re: Open Tunings in Studio Other Then on Slide
Date: July 30, 2018 21:24

I guess Mick Jagger could of played the most open tunings on one record other than Keith because Keith was missing in action on SF and Mick had to play open tunings on sway and moonlight mile.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: July 30, 2018 22:56

In the outtakes of the movie Gimme Shelter, Mick J is showing Tina or maybe Ike and Tina a new song he wrote...Brown Sugar...and he plays it on an open G tuned guitar...so he was using it (open g) in 1969

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 30, 2018 23:31

Doom and Gloom is Mick playing in open G I believe.

Date: July 31, 2018 00:59

beachbreak
Doom and Gloom is Mick playing in open G I believe.

Mick and Keith both play in open G.

Date: July 31, 2018 01:02

OpenG
I guess Mick Jagger could of played the most open tunings on one record other than Keith because Keith was missing in action on SF and Mick had to play open tunings on sway and moonlight mile.

It was more like Mick was evolving as a guitar player and used that tuning as a vehicle in his writing, methinks.

I can't hear any open G in SSC, btw?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 31, 2018 15:47

Sad sad sad is mick in open g
There are lot if songs with Mick in open g

Date: July 31, 2018 16:24

Mick open G on albums (fill in the ones I'll forget):

Sway
Moonlight Mile
Stop Breaking Down
Tumblin' Dice
Winter
Silver Train
Crazy Mama
Some Girls
Undercover (Of The Night)
Sad Sad Sad
Hold On To Your Hat
Rock And A Hard Place
Highwire
Don't Stop
Under The Radar
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Doom And Gloom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-01 10:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 31, 2018 17:44

DandelionPowderman

Sway
Stop Breaking Down
Tumblin' Dice
Winter
Silver Train
Crazy Mama
Some Girls
Sad Sad Sad
Hold On To Your Hat
Rock And A Hard Place
Highwire
Don't Stop
Under The Radar
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Doom And Gloom

Think moonlight mile is missing from the list.

And isn't Rock and a hard place in standard tuning?

Only credit that does not convince me is Tumbling Dice. Remember an extensive discussion here years ago, do not know where, but I still do not hear a MJ guitar on the released track.

C

Date: July 31, 2018 18:19

Thanks so I guess Mick played more open tunings as he evolved as a guitar player.

On SSC - I hear open g guitar at the 12th fret - the octave G chord then to C that's why I asked the question is that someone other then Keith since he is playing in standard tuning.

Date: August 1, 2018 10:00

OpenG
Thanks so I guess Mick played more open tunings as he evolved as a guitar player.

On SSC - I hear open g guitar at the 12th fret - the octave G chord then to C that's why I asked the question is that someone other then Keith since he is playing in standard tuning.

You mean in the break there? I always thought that was a two finger barre-chord on the 10th fret (four strings ringing: A, D, G and cool smiley. Will check, though.

Date: August 1, 2018 10:03

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Sway
Stop Breaking Down
Tumblin' Dice
Winter
Silver Train
Crazy Mama
Some Girls
Sad Sad Sad
Hold On To Your Hat
Rock And A Hard Place
Highwire
Don't Stop
Under The Radar
We Don't Wanna Go Home
Doom And Gloom

Think moonlight mile is missing from the list.

And isn't Rock and a hard place in standard tuning?

Only credit that does not convince me is Tumbling Dice. Remember an extensive discussion here years ago, do not know where, but I still do not hear a MJ guitar on the released track.

C

MM is added now, thanks.

I believe, for the studio version of RAAHP, that Keith is playing the riff in standard tuning, while Mick plays it in open G. If you watch Mick play it live, it sure looks that way, too.

I also believe Mick added another open G-guitar in the ending of TD.

Date: August 1, 2018 13:27

DandelionPowderman

I believe, for the studio version of RAAHP, that Keith is playing the riff in standard tuning, while Mick plays it in open G. If you watch Mick play it live, it sure looks that way, too.

Last night I tried to play around with Rock and a Hard place. Best song on Steel Wheels, I think. Quite sure that all the guitars are in standard tuning.

youtube clips from the 89/90 tour seem to confirm: the rare times you see Jagger's hands, I see standard tuning fingerings.

Opening riff is not very far away from his Heaven riff.

C

Date: August 1, 2018 13:46

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Last night I tried to play around with Rock and a Hard place. Best song on Steel Wheels, I think. Quite sure that all the guitars are in standard tuning.

youtube clips from the 89/90 tour seem to confirm: the rare times you see Jagger's hands, I see standard tuning fingerings.

C

Isn't Mick holding his index finger on the A-string as well? That may indicate open G-tuning for the riff.

Heaven is in minor, hence he uses that A-string for the riff.

You may be right, I'm not sure at all. But Mick and Keith's guitars (while they play the main riff) don't sound the same to me on the studio recording.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: August 1, 2018 16:07

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

Isn't Mick holding his index finger on the A-string as well? That may indicate open G-tuning for the riff.

It’s a similar feel with RAHP: the riff during the verse is an Am7 thing (not unlike Hot Stuff). And then he lays off the A string during the signature riff. Check out the documentary footage from Montserrat to see the little reggae-ish fills that Keith is playing on Strat.

Date: August 1, 2018 16:15

MelBelli
DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman

C

It’s a similar feel with RAHP: the riff during the verse is an Am7 thing (not unlike Hot Stuff). And then he lays off the A string during the signature riff. Check out the documentary footage from Montserrat to see the little reggae-ish fills that Keith is playing on Strat.

Or Terrifying (On Hot Stuff the a-string is not played in the riff).

But... but... The rest of the minor7 chord is not ringing on RAAHP. Especially not on the second strum ("The fields of Eden"..., bam, BAM).

Holding a chord formation like that should give us something like the second strum of the Terrifying-riff or Big Enough in standard tuning, shouldn't it?

Maybe Mick is very intricate and precise with his right hand? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-01 16:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 1, 2018 16:18

I bring up Hot Stuff because the standard-thing tell in both cases is not the A string but rather the high-e ringing out an E note.

Date: August 1, 2018 16:22

MelBelli
I bring up Hot Stuff because the standard-thing tell in both cases is not the A string but rather the high-e ringing out an E note.

OK, gotcha smiling smiley

And I believe you're right, too thumbs up

Date: August 1, 2018 16:26

Steel Wheels was the first Stones tab book I ever bought, at age 13 or 14. I love the album and I love the writing. Collectively it’s got some of the best bridges or middle eights they ever crafted!

Date: August 1, 2018 16:52

MelBelli
Steel Wheels was the first Stones tab book I ever bought, at age 13 or 14. I love the album and I love the writing. Collectively it’s got some of the best bridges or middle eights they ever crafted!

Totally agree with that. Heart For Sale, RAAHP, Can't Be Seen, Slipping Away, Almost Hear You Sigh.

Lovely bridges (although Clifford might be a little dominant in some of them) and very solid writing indeed.

Date: August 1, 2018 17:18

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

Totally agree with that. Heart For Sale, RAAHP, Can't Be Seen, Slipping Away, Almost Hear You Sigh.

Lovely bridges (although Clifford might be a little dominant in some of them) and very solid writing indeed.

AHYS is a killer bridge in three parts!

- Did it mean nothing?
- Have you set me free?
- Come on, I beg ya!

Could partly be a function of nixing Keith’s Winos arrangement, which had that distinct “Stand up / be counted with me!” chorus. Maybe they felt like new arrangement needed a few more changes.

Date: August 1, 2018 20:19

Back to the original topic, did Ronnie ever play an open tuned guitar on any stones song, save of course, his open E slide stuff?

C

Date: August 1, 2018 20:31

Yes that was my question other then seeing RW play live all these years except for songs that require slide I would say since Keith and Mick would normally play open tunings in the studio that would leave RW with not much chance of playing open tunings.

RW normally plays standard tunings when playing live and plays many different guitar voicings down the fretboard.

Date: August 1, 2018 21:02

I'm not sure if Ronnie ever played in open tuning on albums without a bottleneck, with any band..

Perhaps on Angel with The Faces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-01 21:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 1, 2018 23:13

DP - Yeah I would agree. Besides Mick Taylor using Nashville tuning on WH - The open tunings were left to Keith and Mick.

Date: August 2, 2018 17:14

I *think* Mick Taylor plays in open-G on Moonlight Mile.

Date: August 2, 2018 17:23

MelBelli
I *think* Mick Taylor plays in open-G on Moonlight Mile.

Yes, but he also plays slide on that track.

Date: August 2, 2018 17:32

Yes MT plays on MM that outro looping solo which is awesome

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 2, 2018 17:52

These threads are my favorites on IORR. I don't contribute because I'm not a musician, but I learn so much and it allows me to articulate what I hear. Why isn't Mathijs part of this discussion?

Date: August 2, 2018 18:21

DandelionPowderman
I'm not sure if Ronnie ever played in open tuning on albums without a bottleneck, with any band..

Perhaps on Angel with The Faces.

Many times with the Faces.

Stay with me (main rhythm guitar) comes to mind. The slide part is on a different track.

C

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home