Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones tours from now on
Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 08:42

IanBillen
What does 'ala carte' mean in terms of a tour? I don't understand how you mean?

Meaning simply different prices for different venues?

It means that they can choose which country or city they wanna play at,
they all want them.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: July 13, 2018 08:52

IanBillen

Explained here:

bv
I have specific info about citices and the way they will organize, and how promoters have presented these plans, which means only the signatures and time allocation is missing.
That is why I call it a la carte, they have these options now and North America is most probably next, they can probably not tour Tokyo, NYC, BA in one tour, due to distances and time zones.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 13, 2018 09:59

IanBillen

Essentially: The world is their oyster.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 10:06

corriecas
BluzDude
Buenos Aires - If the Stones play there, I will seriously consider making that trip smileys with beer

I will be there too, .
Great
Jeroen

This is my dream to see them in Buenos Aires.

After the Cardiff concert my wife jokingly said the next one will be Argentina and will start saving now for it.

she is going to have a shock, now thats its being mentioned. lol

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 13, 2018 13:30

erikjjf
IanBillen

Explained here:

bv
I have specific info about citices and the way they will organize, and how promoters have presented these plans, which means only the signatures and time allocation is missing.
That is why I call it a la carte, they have these options now and North America is most probably next, they can probably not tour Tokyo, NYC, BA in one tour, due to distances and time zones.

In this context, a la carte means the band can pick and choose where and when they want to play due to their massive profitability and immense crowd-pulling power. Unlike a lesser band who cannot afford to turn down any dates.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 13:39

bv
This thread is about the next tour not about a new album. Nobody not even in the band will say anything about the new album. It will be a bonus if it happens some day, but tours every year are more likely.

Off course you're right. So how about Japan within the next 8 months adding some South-East Asian countries (and a China stadium concert!) and Australia/NZ, followed by the USA/Canada and maybe, to celebrate Charlie not yet hitting 80, Latin America again.
I know that sounds very ambitious, but remembering my 1973 thoughts ("this could be the last time") I these days tend to look forward with the (maybe over-?) confidence thought that the Stones could complete 60 years. That would be a delicious cake! But a delicious cake with some icing by way of adding some new songs, mmmm any fan would love that!
smileys with beer

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: July 13, 2018 17:13

erikjjf
IanBillen

Explained here:

bv

Understood now, folks. Thanks!

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: July 13, 2018 17:19

Seeing as time isn't really on their side, it sort of surprises me the talks/ rumors are for 2019. Maybe they only want to play stadiums but from this fans perspective, the band is playing on a really high level (all things being equal) right now. They wrapped up a tour in early July, they can take three months off and still get a 14 show US fall arena tour in before year end. If they want to keep the show on the road and are really having a great time I don't quite get the huge breaks between tours.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: July 13, 2018 18:21

I think the long break between tours is to rest up for next one.They aren't exactly spring chickens anymore. I hope this US tour is next spring/or summer rather than this winter.I'm looking forward to it very much.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 13, 2018 18:43

Gaetzi
Seeing as time isn't really on their side, it sort of surprises me the talks/ rumors are for 2019. Maybe they only want to play stadiums but from this fans perspective, the band is playing on a really high level (all things being equal) right now. They wrapped up a tour in early July, they can take three months off and still get a 14 show US fall arena tour in before year end. If they want to keep the show on the road and are really having a great time I don't quite get the huge breaks between tours.

It's kind of weird thinking of new Stones gigs in 2019 yes… Three months should be enough of rest at any age if they really want to keep playing. All they have to do is to endure the (luxury) travelling and then perform a 2 hour set of songs they've played for 40-50 years. With these one years breaks you can almost hear them slow down a notch every year. Even though this years concerts were good, the slow and rusty Hamburg show last year really showcased how a year without touring negatively affected their performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-13 18:44 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:09

TheBlockbuster
Gaetzi

It's kind of weird thinking of new Stones gigs in 2019 yes… Three months should be enough of rest at any age if they really want to keep playing. All they have to do is to endure the (luxury) travelling and then perform a 2 hour set of songs they've played for 40-50 years. With these one years breaks you can almost hear them slow down a notch every year. Even though this years concerts were good, the slow and rusty Hamburg show last year really showcased how a year without touring negatively affected their performance.

Have you been there in Hamburg, a live guest or Periscope guest?

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:29

I think a sober Keith has wound the clock back 15 years at least in the guitar department, so I think they have a few more notches to go . There were some worrying moments last year, but not this summer.

sc uk

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:47

caschimann
TheBlockbuster
Gaetzi

I don't need to attend the concert to hear that Keith messed up his solos on both SFTD, IORR and HTW. On a more positive note, the Hamburg show had the best setlist on the whole tour.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:14

straycatuk
I think a sober Keith has wound the clock back 15 years at least in the guitar department, so I think they have a few more notches to go . There were some worrying moments last year, but not this summer.

sc uk

He was quite brilliant at Twickenham; in fact, very brilliant, and very focussed on the tasks at hand.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:21

TheBlockbuster
caschimann
TheBlockbuster
Gaetzi

I don't need to attend the concert to hear that Keith messed up his solos on both SFTD, IORR and HTW. On a more positive note, the Hamburg show had the best setlist on the whole tour.

Based on reading the reviews of those who were there and who also attended shows after that, it seems the overall consensus was that Hamburg was indeed the weakest show. And for those of who didn't attend any of the shows and are basing their opinions on videos and boots, the consensus was the same. Definitely a great setlist though, and still think it's a shame they didn't perform Play With Fire after that.

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: July 13, 2018 23:44

One day you will hear "Ladies and Gentleman of Mars, The Rolling Stones."

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 13, 2018 23:47

His solos in SFTD in Cardiff & Marseille were fluent and excellent. Throughout 2017 (seen 6 gigs) - and, as far as I recall, also at the 3d I saw in the UK - were abismal.

Posted by: jcstone47 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 06:05

Bjornulf...because of you, I've been to at least 3 shows a year since 2012, 6 years after I thought it was all over. Because of you, I always had advance notice to take care of some travel, including both Newark shows, both desert and both one Vegas show here on my home turf. Because if you, at 34 years of age, I got to see them at Hyde freaking PARK! Because of you, my passport is my greatest souvenir. Because of you, my dreams came true. (My husband says, because of you, we're broke. lol!) I am eternally grateful. Really and truly. Thank you so very much, for keeping someone like me, a complete nobody, in the inner circle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 06:13 by jcstone47.

Posted by: jcstone47 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 06:20

I am still thinking INDIA, only because Mick went to that swanky music festival near Jaipur last year (hosted by Jeep none the less). They've never played there. There are a lot of rich people in that part of India. Is this ridiculous? Has someone already squashed this idea? I am aware of how far it is for a one-off show, but it is in Asia.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 14, 2018 07:10

jcstone47
Bjornulf...because of you, I've been to at least 3 shows a year since 2012, 6 years after I thought it was all over. Because of you, I always had advance notice to take care of some travel, including both Newark shows, both desert and both one Vegas show here on my home turf. Because if you, at 34 years of age, I got to see them at Hyde freaking PARK! Because of you, my passport is my greatest souvenir. Because of you, my dreams came true. (My husband says, because of you, we're broke. lol!) I am eternally grateful. Really and truly. Thank you so very much, for keeping someone like me, a complete nobody, in the inner circle.

thumbs up
Similar story..
Bjornulf posted in 2012 (paraphrasing).. "If you want to see the band live, from now on, you're going to have to travel" I am so glad I took that advise to heart.
Seen some great places and met a lot of great people.. Here's to a few more rounds!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 14, 2018 11:20

jcstone47

I am still thinking INDIA, only because Mick went to that swanky music festival near Jaipur last year (hosted by Jeep none the less). They've never played there.

The Stones played at least in Bangalore and Mumbai in April 2003 - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: July 14, 2018 16:29

Hairball
TheBlockbuster
caschimann
TheBlockbuster
Gaetzi

Based on reading the reviews of those who were there and who also attended shows after that, it seems the overall consensus was that Hamburg was indeed the weakest show. And for those of who didn't attend any of the shows and are basing their opinions on videos and boots, the consensus was the same. Definitely a great setlist though, and still think it's a shame they didn't perform Play With Fire after that.

I disagree. I attended Hamburg and a few in 2017 and 2018. The sound was the best in Hamburg. Crisp. And the awe of the park... amazing. The tention and excitement of the new No FILTER tour and set - you cant see that on youtube. You have to feel it. I felt it.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 14, 2018 17:38

I've attended 97 shows since my first at MSG in 1972. Most recent was Paris 3. Keep touring boys. I would love to celebrate my 100th show.

HBK

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 19:06

straycatuk

sc uk

Agreed. He looks so happy on stage these days. Always smiling. That says a lot.

Date: July 14, 2018 19:38

schwonek
Hairball
TheBlockbuster
caschimann
TheBlockbuster
Gaetzi

I disagree. I attended Hamburg and a few in 2017 and 2018. The sound was the best in Hamburg. Crisp. And the awe of the park... amazing. The tention and excitement of the new No FILTER tour and set - you cant see that on youtube. You have to feel it. I felt it.

Glad to know that, but I did say "the overall consensus" meaning that most felt that way, and not unanimous by any means as you have just proven. And that is based on most of the people who were there, and went to other shows after (as well as those who weren't) - most seemed to agree they got better as the tour went on. Of course you can't replicate the tension and excitement of a tour opener and the as of yet unknown set, but performance wise things usually get better after shaking off the cobwebs and first night jitters as seemed to be the overall/general consensus after Hamburg. And the sound itself is subjective as there's so many variables depending on where one is within the stadium - you must have been in a sweet spot to say it was the best. As someone who has attended a tour opener before, yes the tension and excitement is there, but it was far from the best show of the tour performance wise.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 14, 2018 19:48

Hairball
schwonek
Hairball
TheBlockbuster
caschimann
TheBlockbuster
Gaetzi

Glad to know that, but I did say "the overall consensus" meaning that most felt that way, and not unanimous by any means as you have just proven. And that is based on most of the people who were there, and went to other shows after (as well as those who weren't) - most seemed to agree they got better as the tour went on. Of course you can't replicate the tension and excitement of a tour opener and the as of yet unknown set, but performance wise things usually get better after shaking off the cobwebs and first night jitters as seemed to be the overall/general consensus after Hamburg. And the sound itself is subjective as there's so many variables depending on where one is within the stadium - you must have been in a sweet spot to say it was the best. As someone who has attended a tour opener before, yes the tension and excitement is there, but it was far from the best show of the tour performance wise.

Also the first show of the tour often has what is in theory the best setlist - as time goes on they shake out those longed for rarities that didn't actually work in practice. I think they can be too quick to give up on something if it doesn't work perfectly first time out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-14 19:49 by Green Lady.

Date: July 14, 2018 20:09

Yes that also Green Lady - as I mentioned previously it's a shame they dropped Play With Fire completely after Hamburg as I thought it sounded pretty good imo (based on youtube videos and boots), but they haven't played it since so they must have their reasons. Another positive of an opening show is the sheer number of tunes played which usually dwindle as the tour rolls on. Not the case with No Filter pt. II as they started with only 19 and kept it at that - there was some fear they would drop it down to 18 or 17 based on previous patterns, but thankfully they didn't.

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: July 14, 2018 20:45

so that, we'll be ready for which months .... ?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: July 15, 2018 03:15

well Hamburg had 22, hoped they would have continued that, but not to be. And not much in the way of rarely played tunes in Dublin, just Neighbors/Neighbours, which they did not play again. The shows were pretty consistently clocked in at two hours, except Warsaw which was about 2 hours and 7 minutes.

Next tour, will try to see the concluding show(s). Greatest show I had ever seen was the second (of 3) show at the O2 in London at the end of the ABB tour, since eclipsed by the second (of 3) show at the UArena in Paris at the end of the first leg of the No Filter tour.

But Buenos Aires now comes before everything else.

plexi

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 15, 2018 04:45

odean73
corriecas
BluzDude
Buenos Aires - If the Stones play there, I will seriously consider making that trip smileys with beer

I will be there too, .
Great
Jeroen

This is my dream to see them in Buenos Aires.

After the Cardiff concert my wife jokingly said the next one will be Argentina and will start saving now for it.

she is going to have a shock, now thats its being mentioned. lol

What exactly would make that a must see show? How many times can you endure the same setlist over and over again without being bored?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 82

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home