Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick's voice
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 28, 2005 20:04

I know some people get on Mick for not emoting more, not reaching for the high notes and generally playing it too safe live...

C'mon people, he's 62, and his voice is really AMAZING, especially on ABB. Really, when you compare him to singers his age or even a few years younger, a certain amount of degredation is natural, but his voice is still so powerful.

Even live, when he has a tendency to shout instead of really sing, it's so much better than that dreadful barking he did in the 70's.

And think about it...what if he really did go all out to reach for those notes that make his voice crack so wonderfully on Fingers and EOMS and he ended up blowing his voice out 2 or 3 songs into the set? Not a welcome thought.

Re: Mick's voice
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 28, 2005 20:19

keefriff99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > And think about it...what if he really did go all
> out to reach for those notes that make his voice
> crack so wonderfully on Fingers and EOMS and he
> ended up blowing his voice out 2 or 3 songs into
> the set? Not a welcome thought.

that's what happened in Sacramento '99 - it wasn't pretty, but it was cool watching Mick make up for it with more dancing moves, etc....a lot of the audience didn't even realize he had lost his voice....

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: September 28, 2005 20:23

if i lived under a rock for the past 43 years and didnt know who the stones or mick jagger was, i would never for a second, believe that this man was in his 60s....one word to sum him up....INCREDIBLE!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 03:39 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 28, 2005 20:42

saw the who at the house of blues in chicago a few years ago and during won't get fooled again daltry blew his voice out for a good ten minutes. it was worth the scream though!!!!!1

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 28, 2005 20:43

Don't say the barking was dreadful! It's quite romantic when you look back on it!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 28, 2005 21:11

Reptile Wrote:
> Don't say the barking was dreadful! It's quite
> romantic when you look back on it!

lol...I suppose. I'm just not a fan of his "singing" during that period. It does conjure up a romantic era in Stones history though.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 29, 2005 01:49

I am amazed every time I hear Mick( and SEE him) at his abilities and I am thankful for all of the time we've had him and The Stones to enjoy. I don't know of ANY OTHER MALE that can do all that he does and age isn't a factor in the equation; he is simply incredible! He works out, practices dance moves, works with a vocal coach, plans the tour right down to the smallest detail, writes AND plays the songs and now plays a DAMN GOOD SLIDE! And that's just what he does for his day job. He owns a movie production company, dables in movie directing, loves to act on occasion( GREAT IN THE MAN FROM ELYSIAN FIELDS!) and reads tons of books from History to gardening to books on wine! Not a boring man! Now you can see why us ladies adore him!

Date: September 29, 2005 01:52

Debra Wrote:
> I am amazed every time I hear Mick( and SEE him)
> at his abilities and I am thankful for all of the
> time we've had him and The Stones to enjoy. I
> don't know of ANY OTHER MALE that can do all that
> he does and age isn't a factor in the equation; he
> is simply incredible! He works out, practices
> dance moves, works with a vocal coach, plans the
> tour right down to the smallest detail, writes AND
> plays the songs and now plays a DAMN GOOD SLIDE!
> And that's just what he does for his day job. He
> owns a movie production company, dables in movie
> directing, loves to act on occasion( GREAT IN THE
> MAN FROM ELYSIAN FIELDS!) and reads tons of books
> from History to gardening to books on wine! Not a
> boring man! Now you can see why us ladies adore
> him!

all you say is true...but if mick wouldve put all his eggs in one basket, then maybe the stones wouldve been more productive in the 80s & 90s and beyond..best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-29 01:53 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 29, 2005 01:52

hell, after that description, I think I'm in love. I may switch teams....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 29, 2005 01:59

I MUCH prefer Mick's onstage singing as it is these days to what it was in the 70's and '80's for the reasons that keefriff states in his original post

Even if he sings within himself at times, who cares? He's much more consistently good than he was back then...amd pacing himself helps instead of running around for 2 hours and ending up breathless like he often did up to around 1982.

Mick definitely reinvented himself as a live performer from 1989 on - I think as he aged, he needed to. He rarely has an off night anymore as a result

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: September 29, 2005 02:03

There's no doubt about it: Mick sings better than ever, and that's a fact. And that is simply unbeleivable..

Date: September 29, 2005 02:05

Niklas Wrote:
> There's no doubt about it: Mick sings better than
> ever, and that's a fact. And that is simply
> unbeleivable..
>
>

gotta disagree about mick singing better than ever....i dont think any period of his can top the '72 tour.....dont get me wrong...he's still amazing...but now he has to take it easy on those vocal chords...in yesteryear '72 he let it fly from the gut....and it worked to perfection...best wishes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1555
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home