Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29
Re: OT: The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:05

grzegorz67

He's a spectator. How can he possibly have any impact on what takes place on the pitch ?

Putting them off by singing "It's coming home!". grinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:15

On the other hand... Extreme pressure and negativity from the press may have an influence on how players do perform. I do remember how the British press handled the Beckham red card. Not something you would like to build a team around, I mean the love from your own country including the press is vital for success, and that goes for every player, also the coach. It seems as England is on the right track.

Bjornulf

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:21

grzegorz67
bv
Today is Friday 13. If you are supestitious then visit the French or the Cratioan embassy hoping for a black cat to cross the road and look for a ladder to walk under at the same time. If that will bring good or bad luck to you or to France or to Cratia I don't know, but I am 100% sure Mick may attend any football game without having any influence on the result whatsoever.

Well put. Agree with all of that. Superstition is irrational nonsense.

I am sorry, you both are wrong: Whenever I attended a Rolling Stones concert I had the time of my life!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:25

Stoneage
Triskaidekaphobia?

There is also no Kilometer 13 in the St Gotthard tunnel. I think they don't even have something like km 12a and 12b.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:32

One individual fan can't influence a game, a concert, or anything else really.

Groups of individuals can influence however with their enthusiasm, noise, and energy.
Proving that Mick's support, just as the fan support at RS concerts is clearly a positive.cool smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2018 19:33

"Está confirmado. Mick Jagger é o maior pé frio
da história das Copas." (Pseudojornalismo...)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:05

so many teams failed in this world cup in part due to believing their own hype and not realizing that some of their players are praised so highly by the media and are not as good as they think.

in englands case, they had only 6 shots on target from open play in 6 games according to sky sports reports, yet the commentators couldnt see this during games and critisise accordingly.

they play sterling who has no end product, he wastes almost every opportunity that comes his way, fails to set up teammates by passing to them because he has poor vision or is too greedy, and dances about struggling to control the ball all the while having a smile on his face, this isnt the school playground, its the world cup, and yet the media again cant see his failings, if england want to win the world cup they need to create a team around players who are the finished articles and not just those with potential. personally i think they have missed the boat, croatia are not a great side and are quite pedestrian at times, it would be a major shock if they win the world cup.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:20

bv
On the other hand... Extreme pressure and negativity from the press may have an influence on how players do perform. I do remember how the British press handled the Beckham red card. Not something you would like to build a team around, I mean the love from your own country including the press is vital for success, and that goes for every player, also the coach. It seems as England is on the right track.

In the Uk the press tend to build a celebrity or football player up too much, the press make them up to be heroes, they get held in such high esteem and when your status gets that high it's tough, what goes up must come down, you only have to mess up and the press will crucify them, it's a double edged sword with the British media, don't get caught with another woman or a drink in your hand or they turn on you.
Look at Gazza, George Best or Wayne Rooney , i think the press had a lot to do with their demise, it puts too much pressure on them, the expectation becomes a burden.

We all go out and drink too much and make an prat of ourselves from time to time, ( or maybe not winking smiley) but when you are in the limelight the press follow you and capture everything, i honestly think that level of intrusion can turn a regular drinker into an alcoholic.

I think Harry Kane was feeling some degree or pressure towards the last few games of the World Cup, who knows, the pressure to deliver may have got to him, i don't think he was injured but he looked lost out there on the field, like when he missed that goal, he had the look of a Rabbit startled by headlights about him. He puts them away normally without fail, he seemed out of place for most of the game.

It goes beyond football, Princess Diana comes to mind, the British press indirectly killed her imho.

Incidentally i think its funny how the press have gone full circle on the Stones, in the 80's and 90's they were referred to as wrinkled old rockers or dinosaurs, now they are called legends, they can do no wrong, it's as though they are beyond criticism. They have earn't that respect the hard way and it's so nice now that they are given a break over their ages, people look up to them with pride, it's endearing the way they are seen as peoples favorite Uncle or Grandparent smiling smiley

Date: July 13, 2018 20:27

You're right, Buttons. When the big teams (Germany, Brazil, Spain, Argentina) fail it's an open affair. And I agree about Sterling. Seems like speed is his "end product". He runs a lot. Apparently that's enough to make you an international star. The quality of play in this WC is sometimes questionable. Sure, we have seen some good play. But very much mediocre football also.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:29

bv

At this point with the "Mick jinx" being so well known, could be just the mention that Mick will be attending and rooting for your team has a damaging psychological effect and influence on the team.
Once they hear about it, the brain plays funny tricks on them and they don't perform at their highest standards.

Date: July 13, 2018 20:40

[www.youtube.com]

Sir Michael: England lost.

Date: July 13, 2018 20:41

Hairball
bv

At this point with the "Mick jinx" being so well known, could be just the mention that Mick will be attending and rooting for your team has a damaging psychological effect and influence on the team.
Once they hear about it, the brain plays funny tricks on them and they don't perform at their highest standards.

This must be difficult for Mick to attend games from now on if England are playing, especially as he got inspiration to write a song about England losing ,( England Lost )
Perhaps this latest defeat will inspire him to write England Lost Part 2, or England Lost again winking smiley
No wonder Keith said that's not going on a Stones album smoking smiley
Keith's always ahead of the game, pardon the pun eye rolling smiley

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 13, 2018 20:45

grzegorz67
virgil
grzegorz67
bv
Today is Friday 13. If you are supestitious then visit the French or the Cratioan embassy hoping for a black cat to cross the road and look for a ladder to walk under at the same time. If that will bring good or bad luck to you or to France or to Cratia I don't know, but I am 100% sure Mick may attend any football game without having any influence on the result whatsoever.

Could not disagree more, Micks support for any team is the death nail. He’s might as well be Private Wrongo Starr.

He's a spectator. How can he possibly have any impact on what takes place on the pitch ?

Google F-Troop Private Wrongo Starr or another analogy a movie called The Cooler starring Alec Baldwin and William H Macy. That’s how people like that have an impact.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 13, 2018 21:12

virgil
grzegorz67
virgil
grzegorz67
bv

Could not disagree more, Micks support for any team is the death nail. He’s might as well be Private Wrongo Starr.

Google F-Troop Private Wrongo Starr or another analogy a movie called The Cooler starring Alec Baldwin and William H Macy. That’s how people like that have an impact.

That was a film. This is reality. 22 men, the substitutes, managers and match officials can directly affect the game. The crowd, by shouting encouragement and/or abuse indirectly affect the game to a much lesser degree. Random chance, the ball takin an odd bounce or ricochet sometimes plays a part too, and, on occasion,the weather and how the teams cope. Ultimately, it’s all about the players, their ability and how they cope with pressure.

NOTHING ELSE. And that applies to all sports, not just football.

Date: July 13, 2018 22:58

Come off it guys how can Mick being there have any impact on the result of a football match, and yet if England play again i would rather he were not at the game, silly i know but we are primative beings and full of superstition, sometimes things are at play that we can't see or understand, just the fact that we think it can have an impact on the game makes it so.
Like the power of placebo, it shouldn't make a difference but it's a reality that it does, so please Mick stay at home next time winking smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 13, 2018 22:59

virgil
Google F-Troop Private Wrongo Starr

When F- Troop is being cited as evidence, it really is time to rest this case.winking smiley
Lol.

Date: July 13, 2018 23:32

Hear now on the sports news that both sides gives a @#$%& about this match. They are resting their best players. It will be England B against Belgium B.
A bit strange since Belgium has a chance to win their first medal ever in the World Cup. But there you go..

Date: July 14, 2018 01:13

Stoneage
Hear now on the sports news that both sides gives a @#$%& about this match. They are resting their best players. It will be England B against Belgium B.
A bit strange since Belgium has a chance to win their first medal ever in the World Cup. But there you go..

The "news" are coming from Alan Shearer, Piers Morgan & Co?

Hardly reliable.. Let's see if a potential medal will attract them a bit after all smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2018 10:58

I feel sorry for England & Belgium having to play a third place game. Sort of throwing salt in the wound. FIFA should just call it tied for third like the NCAA basketball tourney in the states. I watched a good documentary called "Planet FIFA" on Netflix. It was a French film. A history & expose' on the rabid corruption in organization. The next cup in Qatar should be interesting. Hopefully more of the indentured labour building the stadiums don't die!

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: July 14, 2018 11:41

Stoneage
I think it's a bit disrespectful to the fans who supported their teams from the beginning.
Fans deserve their teams to give them the best.
To finish third is quite a good result after all.

Come on Belgland ! play good football with commitment.

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: July 14, 2018 12:38

For the third and fourth place they would have to count all the goals of the two teams and the one with the most goals gets the third place. No third place game.

Date: July 14, 2018 13:20

There is a game within the game also. The Golden Boot. Top goal scorer. Harry Kane in the lead with 6 goals. Romelu Lukaku shortly behind with 4 goals. But since none of them will play...

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: July 14, 2018 14:07

I'm a Belgium? BELGIUM has not to score in the qualifications against England. The stupid mistake they have done in qualifications. England was 100% agree that they lost the game against Belgium. That stupid player from Belgium who score the goal, WORTHLESS, he shall never play in the Belgium team in the future.

Date: July 14, 2018 14:18

Agree somewhat, Tioms. Belgium-France was maybe the moral final. It would be nice if the Belgium players could demonstrate that on the field today.

Posted by: rodes ()
Date: July 14, 2018 14:41

tioms
I'm a Belgium? BELGIUM has not to score in the qualifications against England. The stupid mistake they have done in qualifications. England was 100% agree that they lost the game against Belgium. That stupid player from Belgium who score the goal, WORTHLESS, he shall never play in the Belgium team in the future.
How can you play a football game with the intention not to win? That's not sporty!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 14, 2018 17:02

Is Mick still sticking around St. Petersburg?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 14, 2018 17:42

crholmstrom
I feel sorry for England & Belgium having to play a third place game. Sort of throwing salt in the wound. FIFA should just call it tied for third like the NCAA basketball tourney in the states.

No thanks. What would be next, commercial tv breaks?

Date: July 14, 2018 18:43

I would love to pay a few bucks to see Belgium - France in the final tomorrow.

Date: July 14, 2018 18:56

Here: De Bruyne, a class act. Lukaku, overrated. Such poor ball reception. Pickford, the best goalie I have seen in this WC. Dier, squandered his chance. Poor boll handling. Weak finishing.
There you go. 2-0 Belgium. Congrats to the Bronze! Well deserved. England, 4:th. All in all, a good tournament for them also. Their second best WC ever. At least if you look at the result.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 14, 2018 19:03

Koen
crholmstrom
I feel sorry for England & Belgium having to play a third place game. Sort of throwing salt in the wound. FIFA should just call it tied for third like the NCAA basketball tourney in the states.

No thanks. What would be next, commercial tv breaks?

Well that would ‘Americanize’ it. Fast food commercials and horrid pharma drug stories in between yer football!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829Next
Current Page: 24 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home